86 replies to this topic

#1 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Will we have a mostly consistent offense for one season for basically the first time in franchise history? I know with Flacco we've been better than we ever were before him, but still, every year we'd have 4-6 games where we didn't even get points on the board till we were close to halfway through the game. Some of that falls on Flacco, some of that on our OCs and of O-line and rest of the offense. But Flacco and offense, for whatever reason, every year they put together a couple of great games, a few good ones, and the rest were mediocre to terrible.

I want to see 12+ weeks where we score more than 20 points. I want Flacco to hit receivers on make-able passes. When he plays well, I don't want the rest of the team to let him down. 

A lot has been made about Flacco over 6 years, and while it's said every year that "this is his breakout year", here I am with something similar.

I think this year will define him as who he is going to be the rest of his career...

Is he the player who out-dueled Luck, Manning, Brady and Kapernick on his way to tying Montana's 11/0 td/int record in the post season while winning the Super Bowl? Or is he the Afc's Eli Manning.

To be fair, even if he is Eli Manning, I'll take it. I love Flacco, I Love who he is and I'll always support him. But, I'm done making excuses for him. I know that there are many valid reasons out there for why it isn't all his fault why he struggles at times, but at some point the true Elite qbs rise above the excuses and cirumstances. Is Joe good, is he elite? Lucky? I think it's fair to say this year is a true measure of what to expect the rest of his career. I'll be there rooting for him every step of the way. I believe he's special and he'll rise up again to show his critics that those 4 games weren't a fluke. Time will tell if I'm right.

Edited by 3-4ravdef509, 11 August 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#2 KDUBB44

KDUBB44

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I have a feeling Flacco will improve his game and this is the year he enters Peyton Manning eliteness. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't throw for 50+ tds and we dont go undefeated. 

#3 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

Nothing is consistent with Flacco. I like the guy. But ive learned not to get my expectations high with him.

Everything youve said has been said before. I do think the offense is good for Flacco. Lots of playactions. Something we didnt see alot of last year.

#4 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have a feeling Flacco will improve his game and this is the year he enters Peyton Manning eliteness. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't throw for 50+ tds and we dont go undefeated. 

Can't tell if you're kidding or not....hopefully you are

#5 KDUBB44

KDUBB44

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Can't tell if you're kidding or not....hopefully you are

Does it sound like I'm kidding? This is Ravens football!!

#6 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Nothing is consistent with Flacco. I like the guy. But ive learned not to get my expectations high with him.

Everything youve said has been said before. I do think the offense is good for Flacco. Lots of playactions. Something we didnt see alot of last year.

That's the frustrating reality. It's especially tough because he plays badly enough to make you wonder but sometimes plays so well in a game or makes such an incredible throw/play you swear he's either got MPD or a stunt double in there half the time.

To me the quicker throws and plays that are actually designed to get receivers open will help more than anything.

Edited by 3-4ravdef509, 11 August 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#7 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Does it sound like I'm kidding? This is Ravens football!!

lol. Nice enthusiasm. 

I'm more expecting something in the normal realm of his history. Like 28 tds, 12 ints and hopefully 4200 yards. 

#8 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I do not think that Joe has a hidden Payton Manning. BUT I believe we could well see him as the 3rd or 4th best QB this year. This offense will allow him to grow into all of his promised ability that we have glimpsed now and then. It will be exciting to watch Ravens football this year. I am not even worried about our depth on the defense. I am set to enjoy a good year of football well into January (and hopefully Feb. too). Go Ravens!!

Edited by ravens533, 11 August 2014 - 06:33 PM.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#9 beasy2487

beasy2487

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

I expect Flacco to hit above .300 while averaging 80% or better from the line. Finals MVP.

#10 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

I expect Flacco to hit above .300 while averaging 80% or better from the line. Finals MVP.

very possible. i expect nothing less

#11 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

I agree with you. A system change is a huge deal. Sometimes great players can get buried under a bad playbook, that doesn't fit them. I always thought that this is the case with Joe.

I'll be okay, if he's just the AFC version of Eli, because Eli is still good enough to win Superbowls and that's what matters the most to me, see my team win and not just one player (aka Peyton's carreer), but I definetly wouldn't give up on Joe being truely elite just yet. This season will give us that answer imho. 

Joe doesn't have elite weapons around him, but it's still the most talented and deepest group of receivers and tight ends he ever had, the OL is good and the OC is legit (for the first time in Joe's carreer, imho). If he can't have atleast 12 good games this year instead of the rollercoaster ride he usually sends us on, he never will. I personaly, being an optimist and Flacco fan, expect a huge carreer year for Joe. 

Edited by PolishRifle, 11 August 2014 - 08:49 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#12 edthehead

edthehead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

30 td  no more than 10 int and 4500 yds passing, this is my xmas wishhhhhhhhhhhh

#13 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

30 td no more than 10 int and 4500 yds passing, this is my xmas wishhhhhhhhhhhh

Would be pretty happry with this statline.
Posted Image

#14 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Just get us back to the playoffs so playoff Flacco shows up 

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#15 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Just get us back to the playoffs so playoff Flacco shows up

This. Once we are in I anyways think we will win

#16 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

In the Air Coryell, the QB is supposed to go with his deep reads first most of the time. To do this, the team needs at least 2 deep threat WRs and an offensive line that can buy enough time for the 2 deep reads to get downfield--about 3+ seconds.

Since 2011, Joe's usually only had 1 deep threat (Torrey) and also a hole at LG (Grubbs & Osemele's injuries, Grubbs leaving as a FA) and last year he also had the worst center in the league too.

The best way you counter having a bad o-line/not enough deep threats in the AC is by running the ball a lot and setting up various screens. Except for last year, the Ravens have been able to run the ball, but they haven't had a screen game since Mason was here (and even then, it wasn't great). Another way you counter the blitz in the AC is with quick comeback routes, like the back shoulder fades that Caldwell introduced during the 2012 SB run that allowed Boldin to dominate. Those comeback routes also disappeared when Mason left, reappeared briefly in the 2012 playoffs, only to vanish again when Boldin was traded.

Except for the 2012 playoffs when Torrey and Jacoby were the deep threats and Boldn was moved to the slot to work mainly underneath with Pitta and Rice, Joe has not had a complete receiving corp. So, he has not been running the full version of the AC. Since 2011, he's been running (mostly) a stripped down, watered down, vanilla-fied version of it. That's why he's constantly had to make really difficult and risky throws, threading the ball through the needle to receivers who weren't really open. If you watched the preseason game against San Fran, you saw the difference in how open the receivers were. Kubiak has a full complement of weapons, so nothing has been watered down.

Still, Flacco has had games were he's gotten into the bad habit of not setting his feet properly before throwing the ball (Stafford has the same issue, even worse) and that has hurt Joe's production and numbers. And last year he also started staring down his receivers more, though that was mainly due to being under constant seige because our o-line was just that awful--only Miami's was worse.

Basically, to bring back 2012 SB mvp Joe, you need to do the following:

1) fix the o-line, doesn't have to be top 10, especially with the WCO but it can't be bottom 3 either like last year's.

2) give Joe a full complement of weapons so he can spread the ball around, that way he won't lock in (and start staring down) one guy. This also prevents that one guy from being triple teamed all game.

3) fix Joe's footwork--Kubiak's method of linking the QB's reads in with his footwork is perfect for Joe.

4) run the ball effectively as we (still) don't have that true #1 WR which is all but a requirement to have a pass heavy offense that still works against strong defenses.

5) don't force Joe to always stay in the pocket, he's not a strict drop back pocket passer, more of a bootleg type like Elway, Favre, Rodgers and Roethlisberger.

6) keep Joe out of 3rd and long--in the past 2 years the QB who's led the league in 3rd and long pass attempts is Joe Flacco.

#17 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

would be nice to have an offense better then the 1996 one lol

dq0w81.gif

#18 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

In the Air Coryell, the QB is supposed to go with his deep reads first most of the time. To do this, the team needs at least 2 deep threat WRs and an offensive line that can buy enough time for the 2 deep reads to get downfield--about 3+ seconds.
Since 2011, Joe's usually only had 1 deep threat (Torrey) and also a hole at LG (Grubbs & Osemele's injuries, Grubbs leaving as a FA) and last year he also had the worst center in the league too.
The best way you counter having a bad o-line/not enough deep threats in the AC is by running the ball a lot and setting up various screens. Except for last year, the Ravens have been able to run the ball, but they haven't had a screen game since Mason was here (and even then, it wasn't great). Another way you counter the blitz in the AC is with quick comeback routes, like the back shoulder fades that Caldwell introduced during the 2012 SB run that allowed Boldin to dominate. Those comeback routes also disappeared when Mason left, reappeared briefly in the 2012 playoffs, only to vanish again when Boldin was traded.
Except for the 2012 playoffs when Torrey and Jacoby were the deep threats and Boldn was moved to the slot to work mainly underneath with Pitta and Rice, Joe has not had a complete receiving corp. So, he has not been running the full version of the AC. Since 2011, he's been running (mostly) a stripped down, watered down, vanilla-fied version of it. That's why he's constantly had to make really difficult and risky throws, threading the ball through the needle to receivers who weren't really open. If you watched the preseason game against San Fran, you saw the difference in how open the receivers were. Kubiak has a full complement of weapons, so nothing has been watered down.
Still, Flacco has had games were he's gotten into the bad habit of not setting his feet properly before throwing the ball (Stafford has the same issue, even worse) and that has hurt Joe's production and numbers. And last year he also started staring down his receivers more, though that was mainly due to being under constant seige because our o-line was just that awful--only Miami's was worse.

Basically, to bring back 2012 SB mvp Joe, you need to do the following:
1) fix the o-line, doesn't have to be top 10, especially with the WCO but it can't be bottom 3 either like last year's.
2) give Joe a full complement of weapons so he can spread the ball around, that way he won't lock in (and start staring down) one guy. This also prevents that one guy from being triple teamed all game.
3) fix Joe's footwork--Kubiak's method of linking the QB's reads in with his footwork is perfect for Joe.
4) run the ball effectively as we (still) don't have that true #1 WR which is all but a requirement to have a pass heavy offense that still works against strong defenses.
5) don't force Joe to always stay in the pocket, he's not a strict drop back pocket passer, more of a bootleg type like Elway, Favre, Rodgers and Roethlisberger.
6) keep Joe out of 3rd and long--in the past 2 years the QB who's led the league in 3rd and long pass attempts is Joe Flacco.

Yikes...just reading that makes me shiver. Seems like a lot that we have to give/do for Joe.
Posted Image

#19 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Yikes...just reading that makes me shiver. Seems like a lot that we have to give/do for Joe.

No more than what is necessary for any other QB to thrive.

Don't buy into the media driven hype that Brady or Peyton can turn mediocre receivers into Pro Bowlers. That's never been true, for them or any other QB. None of them have ever had a poorly constructed and executed scheme, a historically bad running game, one of the worst o-lines in the league and a MASH unit/old folks home of a receiver corp in the same season

#20 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Your last sentence is true. Dealing with no running game and no protection would kill any QBs production. Therefore I can only see the offense being more consistent this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users