30 replies to this topic

#1 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Jimmy Smith and Ladarius Webb are locks to make the roster. After the first preseason game I think Asa is going to be our #3 corner unless we sign/trade for a CB. 

Chykie looked extremely lost and back to his old ways during most of the game, he only started to improve against the 2's and 3's. If he keeps playing like that he may be cut because of the talent we have at CB currently. Even though he has experience in our system we could use more 3 safety sets to make up for that loss. 

Dominique Franks and Deji Olatoye are two guys I think who could push Chykie Brown to be cut. Franks is a great ST and reserve corner and Olatoye is a guy who I think could push for the #3 corner spot next year. 

Tramain Jacobs and Sammy Seamster are PS candidates imo, but they could also make the team over Olatoye. 

Jimmy Smith

Ladarius Webb

Asa Jackson

Dominique Franks

Deji Olatoye

I think these will be the 5 CB's the Ravens will carry on the roster this year. Feel free to post your CB's that you think will make the roster and why. 

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

We're actually discussing this in the vent thread, but I don't see Chykie being cut as of now.  If Franks, Jacobs, and/or Olatoye start getting some reps with the 1s in game situations, I think it becomes part of the conversation.  Word is that Jacobs and Olatoye were both given chances against the 1s in practice but haven't performed well thus far.  Franks hasn't had a great camp himself.

Seamster has apparently been pretty terrible in camp, and received a total of 0 defensive snaps on Thursday.  It doesn't sound like he's even in the picture.

Right now, I'd say:

Jimmy Smith

Lardarius Webb

Asa Jackson
Chykie Brown

Tramain Jacobs

Dominique Franks could earn his way up.

#3 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

We're actually discussing this in the vent thread, but I don't see Chykie being cut as of now.  If Franks, Jacobs, and/or Olatoye start getting some reps with the 1s in game situations, I think it becomes part of the conversation.  Word is that Jacobs and Olatoye were both given chances against the 1s in practice but haven't performed well thus far.  Franks hasn't had a great camp himself.

Seamster has apparently been pretty terrible in camp, and received a total of 0 defensive snaps on Thursday.  It doesn't sound like he's even in the picture.

Right now, I'd say:

Jimmy Smith

Lardarius Webb

Asa Jackson
Chykie Brown

Tramain Jacobs

Dominique Franks could earn his way up.

I think we will see a lot more of Olatoye and Jacobs in the upcoming preseason games. I'd rather have Franks as our #4 corner than Chykie, and keep Olatoye/Jacobs. I know he's familiar with the system, but it just seems he's lost out there and always draws PI. We can use more safety sets especially when Will Hill comes back from his suspension. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of preseason games go for them. 

#4 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

I think we will see a lot more of Olatoye and Jacobs in the upcoming preseason games. I'd rather have Franks as our #4 corner than Chykie, and keep Olatoye/Jacobs. I know he's familiar with the system, but it just seems he's lost out there and always draws PI. We can use more safety sets especially when Will Hill comes back from his suspension. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of preseason games go for them. 

Have we seen enough out of Franks though?  He had a nice interception, no doubt, but he's never really been more than a ST CB in Atlanta.  He failed the conditioning test 4 times and is still stuck on the 3rd team because he hasn't been performing well in practice.  Can he elevate himself?  Yes he can, but he's not at that point yet.  He's still got a long uphill climb.  It's too early to write Chykie off.  He's had a rough camp and had a very rough game on Thursday, but he's also strung together a few very good practices as well.

#5 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think we keep Chykie honestly, our FO values his starting experience. Whether he should make the team or not remains to be seen, we still have 3 preseason games and i think if he's going to be cut it'll be in the last few rounds of cuts. He hasn't played well at all, and to most of us that isn't much of a surprise considering his inconsistent history, but considering that he is the only #3 candidate to have quite a bit of playing experience, the FO may choose to keep him just for his experience.

I was a huge fan of Asa before he was drafted and i was ecstatic when we took him, i also thought he would be great. The past couple preseasons you really saw flashes from him but because of suspensions he hasnt really had a chance to step up, now he has a chance and he's making the most of it from what i saw.

I love how Olatoye played, he has fast reflexes and isnt afraid to help out in the run game. He's got a ton of potential and i hope we keep him on the roster

my prediction:

Webb

Smith

Jackson

Brown

Olatoye

Franks (maybe practice squad, but im not sure if he'll make it without being picked up by another team, so im going to put him on the roster)

Trumain makes it to the practice squad

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

I think we keep Chykie honestly, our FO values his starting experience. Whether he should make the team or not remains to be seen, we still have 3 preseason games and i think if he's going to be cut it'll be in the last few rounds of cuts. He hasn't played well at all, and to most of us that isn't much of a surprise considering his inconsistent history, but considering that he is the only #3 candidate to have quite a bit of playing experience, the FO may choose to keep him just for his experience.

I was a huge fan of Asa before he was drafted and i was ecstatic when we took him, i also thought he would be great. The past couple preseasons you really saw flashes from him but because of suspensions he hasnt really had a chance to step up, now he has a chance and he's making the most of it from what i saw.

I love how Olatoye played, he has fast reflexes and isnt afraid to help out in the run game. He's got a ton of potential and i hope we keep him on the roster

my prediction:

Webb

Smith

Jackson

Brown

Olatoye

Franks (maybe practice squad, but im not sure if he'll make it without being picked up by another team, so im going to put him on the roster)

Trumain makes it to the practice squad

Franks is a vet.  He's not eligible for the PS.  Not so sure there would be room for 6 CBs either.

#7 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

It's really down to 2-3 guys since you're right--Smith, Jackson and Webb are locks. If it's between two guys, I think Chykie will get the nod because IIRC he ranked highly on the team in terms of ST play in tackles. If Jackson is to be the #3 CB then we'll need his experience on ST. That leaves really one or two spots between Jacobs, Franks, Seamster, and Olatoye. If I had to guess, it'll be Franks unless one of them really stands out. I think Olatoye could do it since he has the Jimmy Smith connection but we'll see. I think we'll only keep 5 CB this year with 5 safeties maybe even 6.

#8 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

It's really down to 2-3 guys since you're right--Smith, Jackson and Webb are locks. If it's between two guys, I think Chykie will get the nod because IIRC he ranked highly on the team in terms of ST play in tackles. If Jackson is to be the #3 CB then we'll need his experience on ST. That leaves really one or two spots between Jacobs, Franks, Seamster, and Olatoye. If I had to guess, it'll be Franks unless one of them really stands out. I think Olatoye could do it since he has the Jimmy Smith connection but we'll see. I think we'll only keep 5 CB this year with 5 safeties maybe even 6.

I think it'll definitely be at least 5 safeties being that a few of them are key ST guys for us.  Elam, Stewart, and Miles all seem primed for pretty large roles.  Brooks is a 3rd round draft pick so he's going nowhere.  Then you have Levine and Trawick who look to be a couple of favorites on ST.  Then, you still have Omar Brown hanging around and Will Hill is eligible after suspension.  All 8 guys could conceivably play at the NFL level, but of course there isn't room for them all.

#9 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Franks is a vet.  He's not eligible for the PS.  Not so sure there would be room for 6 CBs either.

yeah i forgot about that, i guess switch him and Olatoye

6 is a bit much but there arent clear cut guys at CB, so 6 isnt completely out of the question but i'll be it extremely unlikely

cuts this year are so hard to predict looking at all the talent we have at both sides of the ball

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

I think it'll definitely be at least 5 safeties being that a few of them are key ST guys for us. Elam, Stewart, and Miles all seem primed for pretty large roles. Brooks is a 3rd round draft pick so he's going nowhere. Then you have Levine and Trawick who look to be a couple of favorites on ST. Then, you still have Omar Brown hanging around and Will Hill is eligible after suspension. All 8 guys could conceivably play at the NFL level, but of course there isn't room for them all.

Yeah. I should also note that I think Chykie could be cut if Franks outplays him because he theoretically offers as much as Chykie with more proven experience on ST. I do think one of those UDFA CB could overtake him if he's not good enough.

#11 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

I think it'll definitely be at least 5 safeties being that a few of them are key ST guys for us.  Elam, Stewart, and Miles all seem primed for pretty large roles.  Brooks is a 3rd round draft pick so he's going nowhere.  Then you have Levine and Trawick who look to be a couple of favorites on ST.  Then, you still have Omar Brown hanging around and Will Hill is eligible after suspension.  All 8 guys could conceivably play at the NFL level, but of course there isn't room for them all.

I see what you're saying but i still think 6 Safeties is a bit much. I can see 5 considering (like you said) 3 are pretty much locks to make it (Elam, Stewart, and Brooks) and i seriously doubt we'll let Hill go, we wouldnt sign a guy with a suspension without at least intending to keep him around.  Now who do we have left? Miles by all accounts has stepped up this season and is really making a name for himself, that leaves Brown, Levine, and Trawick as the odd men out. Brown is a fan favorite but never really stepped up, Levine was big time on special teams last year but he's 27 and hasnt contributed on defense, Trawick is in the same boat - he was a surprise to make the roster last year but this year cuts are so tough i don't think he can survive

with all the talent we have a WR and RB i just can't see holding on to 6+ safeties, i mean we have a ton of receivers that have talent we would really like to hold on to, plus we may have to carry 3 QBs this season as well, so i just can't see it

#12 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

I have no idea if Chykie makes the team or not, playing consistently poor doesn't always get you kicked off the team.

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yeah. I should also note that I think Chykie could be cut if Franks outplays him because he theoretically offers as much as Chykie with more proven experience on ST. I do think one of those UDFA CB could overtake him if he's not good enough.

I need to see more from Franks first.  Failing the conditioning test as much as he did is not a good first impression, and then he's reportedly been beaten quite a bit on the 3rd team D which doesn't sound good either.  He did have that nice interception though so hopefully that's a momentum builder for him.  If they really think he's a guy that can make the team, I think we'll be seeing more of him in these next few games.

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

I see what you're saying but i still think 6 Safeties is a bit much. I can see 5 considering (like you said) 3 are pretty much locks to make it (Elam, Stewart, and Brooks) and i seriously doubt we'll let Hill go, we wouldnt sign a guy with a suspension without at least intending to keep him around.  Now who do we have left? Miles by all accounts has stepped up this season and is really making a name for himself, that leaves Brown, Levine, and Trawick as the odd men out. Brown is a fan favorite but never really stepped up, Levine was big time on special teams last year but he's 27 and hasnt contributed on defense, Trawick is in the same boat - he was a surprise to make the roster last year but this year cuts are so tough i don't think he can survive

with all the talent we have a WR and RB i just can't see holding on to 6+ safeties, i mean we have a ton of receivers that have talent we would really like to hold on to, plus we may have to carry 3 QBs this season as well, so i just can't see it

I think it'll ultimately be 5, but I wouldn't put 6 out of the question.  We carried 7 on the roster at one point last year because of ST abilities.

#15 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

I think it'll ultimately be 5, but I wouldn't put 6 out of the question.  We carried 7 on the roster at one point last year because of ST abilities.

yeah its not out of the question, i guess i should say 7+ safeties is a bit much

but i mean its strange how we could struggle so much at receiver last year but now how many receivers do we have that can make our roster just one offseason later? S. Smith, T. Smith, Brown, Jones, Aiken, Butler (i was cynical about him being a gem, but after seeing him play the other night - wow he looks big time), Campanero, Thompson, and Williams (i have a soft spot for Williams ever since his rookie year, but i still love the way he plays) all have the talent to make the roster, thats 9 WRs, its amazing how our FO can turn weaknesses into strengths so fast.

just a random side question: did Marrio Norman play at all the other night? just curious because i wanted to see him play

#16 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

yeah its not out of the question, i guess i should say 7+ safeties is a bit much

but i mean its strange how we could struggle so much at receiver last year but now how many receivers do we have that can make our roster just one offseason later? S. Smith, T. Smith, Brown, Jones, Aiken, Butler (i was cynical about him being a gem, but after seeing him play the other night - wow he looks big time), Campanero, Thompson, and Williams (i have a soft spot for Williams ever since his rookie year, but i still love the way he plays) all have the talent to make the roster, thats 9 WRs, its amazing how our FO can turn weaknesses into strengths so fast.

just a random side question: did Marrio Norman play at all the other night? just curious because i wanted to see him play

The rigors of the NFL and roster building.  So much depth at some positions and a lack of depth at others.  It'd be nice if we could turn some of our extra depth into a position like CB or something.

On Norman, no, he did not play.  Neither did Hill, so people were speculating that it's because neither had time to get down the playbook yet.

#17 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

I agree with 5. I think we keep 6 WR's since we have so much talent there and then we keep 5 safeties. 

#18 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

I need to see more from Franks first.  Failing the conditioning test as much as he did is not a good first impression, and then he's reportedly been beaten quite a bit on the 3rd team D which doesn't sound good either.  He did have that nice interception though so hopefully that's a momentum builder for him.  If they really think he's a guy that can make the team, I think we'll be seeing more of him in these next few games.

I'm hoping Franks can keep improving on that and they give him some more time. Mainly what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't be surprised if Chykie is cut since Franks can do his job as the #4 CB. Having Chykie as the #5 CB wouldn't be worth it imo, I'd rather have Jacobs/Olatoye/Seamster whoever shines out of those guys. 

#19 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I think Chykie does make the roster...  He is putting it all out there...  Very aggressive...  But it remains to be seen...  It seems that we never are able to determine the FO thought process.

117hd79.jpg

#20 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Smith

Webb

Jackson

Brown

Jacobs

Olatoye

Franks

We also might get a DB who gets cut over the next few weeks for Franks, Olatoye or even Brown. If Brown rebounds Saturday he's safe if he gets another few penalties or gets beaten we'll make a move for another vet DB or trade. The 3rd preseason game is the most important we have to make a huge cut for rosters and we need to know our best 4 db's if they're still on this roster.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users