57 replies to this topic

#1 Ausman

Ausman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Let's say the Ravens offense becomes top 5 in the league because of Gary Kubiak.

What will we have to do to keep Kubiak from become a head coach for another snaky team trying to steal him away ? Because I know quite well that it's going to happen.

Will we have to pay him head coach money? Should we make him assistant Head Coach? What?

I would like for him to stay for at least the next decade.

The Steelers were able to keep Dick Labeau for a life time as their D Coordinator.

What are the Steelers doing with Dick Labaeu to keep him there for a lifetime that we should implement to keep Kubiak as our Offensive Coordinator for a good 10-15 years if he is successful in his first year?

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,551 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

It's because Dick wasn't a good HC. Couldn't coach offense. Gary was a pretty good HC who was stuck with a bad GM. I never thought he was the problem.

#3 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hopefully Steve pays to keep him. That would work.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#4 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,551 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hopefully Steve pays to keep him. That would work.

Whatever Steve can throw on the table, some other team can throw more for a good HC

#5 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

It's because Dick wasn't a good HC. Couldn't coach offense. Gary was a pretty good HC who was stuck with a bad GM. I never thought he was the problem.

This. Dick coached cincy and failed
Didn't like it either. Kubiak likes being a hc and wants to do it again so what we do us develop staff behind him and hope they stay

#6 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Let's say the Ravens offense becomes top 5 in the league because of Gary Kubiak.

What will we have to do to keep Kubiak from become a head coach for another snaky team trying to steal him away ? Because I know quite well that it's going to happen.

Will we have to pay him head coach money? Should we make him assistant Head Coach? What?

I would like for him to stay for at least the next decade.

The Steelers were able to keep Dick Labeau for a life time as their D Coordinator.

What are the Steelers doing with Dick Labaeu to keep him there for a lifetime that we should implement to keep Kubiak as our Offensive Coordinator for a good 10-15 years if he is successful in his first year?

Next decade?  Excuse you?  LeBeau has been in Pittsburgh for a lifetime because he never wants to be a HC again.  Loves defense with all his heart, all he wants to do, and he's phenomenal at it.  Kubiak on the other hand has been a HC, brought an expansion team that was garbage before him to a playoff contender and is generally regarded as one of the best offensive minds in football.

If he goes and doesn't take Dennison, Dennison will be our OC.  

#7 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Whatever Steve can throw on the table, some other team can throw more for a good HC

My thought is that with his apparent health issues Kubiak may want to remain an OC. And I'm pretty sure Steve has paid DeCosta like a GM, so why not pay Kubiak as well. Mr. Biscotti is an astute businessman and knows where to spend.

#8 shawn ny

shawn ny

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

The fact that we have let countless awesome DC's walk says it all....Enjoy Kubiak and his system while you can....

#9 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Next decade?  Excuse you?  LeBeau has been in Pittsburgh for a lifetime because he never wants to be a HC again.  Loves defense with all his heart, all he wants to do, and he's phenomenal at it.  Kubiak on the other hand has been a HC, brought an expansion team that was garbage before him to a playoff contender and is generally regarded as one of the best offensive minds in football.

If he goes and doesn't take Dennison, Dennison will be our OC.  

He'll take dennison though.  That's the problem.  we'll probably lose a good chunk of our offensive coaching staff if he goes.  But this is the kart before the horse

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#10 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,044 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

From his introductory press conference:

Gary, how much is it in your ambition to be a head coach again down the line? (Aaron Wilson)

(KUBIAK) “I want to be the best offensive coordinator that I can be – that’s what I want to do. I don’t look down the road and at those types of things. I told John this when he first called me, I said, ‘John, you know what? I want a chance to enjoy coaching, teaching, and I want a chance to win. And I know you would offer me all those opportunities if this thing would work out.’ So really, for me, it’s just about getting back. It’s a tough thing to go through, but right now this has been the best day I’ve had in two months, because I’m so excited to be back in this league, to get back to work. I shook a few players’ hands today, I met a bunch of new coaches that I have tremendous respect for five minutes ago in the defensive staff, and that’s why I do what I do. That’s what I enjoy doing and enjoy being with those players. So, I’m looking forward to that.”

http://blog.chron.co...k-and-dennison/

Take that for what you will. I personally believe Kubiak does want to return to HCing and that he's a good enough coach and the offense will be successful enough to get him there (heck, if Caldwell could do it...). Whether that's 2015, 2016, etc I don't know.

LeBeau, as SAM said, was an awful HC and has spent 10 years in Pittsburgh (only been there since 2004) because he was in his mid 60s when he got hired for that, he's 76 now. Kubiak is in his 50s - actually turning 53 a week from today - which is average for an NFL HC; Harbaugh, for comparison, is 51.

edit - Also, money can be a powerful incentive but it all comes down to what the coach really wants: control over a team and the challenge / satisfaction that comes with it. Maybe I'm wrong and Kubiak wants to be in an OC capacity but that's not the way most of these guys are wired. They're competitors, they love the challenge, and they love battling at the highest levels.

Edited by berad, 08 August 2014 - 01:08 PM.

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#11 Ausman

Ausman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

My thought is that with his apparent health issues Kubiak may want to remain an OC. And I'm pretty sure Steve has paid DeCosta like a GM, so why not pay Kubiak as well. Mr. Biscotti is an astute businessman and knows where to spend.

An excellent point. If Gary knows what's good for him he should look after his health. He shouldn't have more responsibilities and needs to stick to what he's good at, which is offense. Like I said we can pay him as a head coach and even make him an Assistant HC.

#12 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,354 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

You have to hope he hits Norv Turner status.  Where the boat has shipped as a HC.  I think if Kubes does really well with this offense for a year or two, he'll get another shot.  There won't be anything we can do to stop that besides suck.  

Posted Image

#13 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

I like what I've seen so far, but it also highlights what a huge mistake it was to hold on to Cam post 2011. Flacco came to his own atleast 2 years ago and we wasted all that time keeping that useless playbook. -_-

bJNF689.jpg

#14 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Yup Lebeau had been there, done that and doesn't want to be a head coach anymore. That is just something the Steelers got lucky with, as I'm sure he was contacted about other head coaching jobs in his tenure there. Most coaches want to be head coaches, it takes a very special set of circumstances to get a Lebeau. Unless the mini stroke has Gary concerned or gave him less desire for it, he will probably be a head coach again very soon.

#15 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

After his heart attack I think that could cross him off some teams lists as a HC automatically. Maybe we can keep him around for longer.

#16 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Unless the mini stroke has Gary concerned or gave him less desire for it, he will probably be a head coach again very soon.

Thats my line of thinking. Being a HC of an NFL team is very stressful, and definitely played a part in his health issues. Baltimore is a top tier organization to work for as a coach though, and less stressful with a guy like Harbaugh as the HC. If he were to leave for an HC job, he'd most likely be going to an unstable franchise. Unless an opportunity to be the HC of a top organization came up, I see him sticking around for a while. 

#17 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Thats my line of thinking. Being a HC of an NFL team is very stressful, and definitely played a part in his health issues. Baltimore is a top tier organization to work for as a coach though, and less stressful with a guy like Harbaugh as the HC. If he were to leave for an HC job, he'd most likely be going to an unstable franchise. Unless an opportunity to be the HC of a top organization came up, I see him sticking around for a while. 

You never know, I personally think Gary will want to be a HC again, but also maybe he would only change for the right team as well. Either way, lets just hope he and the offense have a solid year, then we can worry about where he goes. LOL

#18 Static

Static

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Even if he leaves at least we will have a competant playbook for once.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan.

#19 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Even if he leaves at least we will have a competant playbook for once.

Agreed. Success is a good dilemma to have. Remember when we wondered in the 2012 "but what if Joe wins a SB?"? I don't mind, I don't mind at all.

bJNF689.jpg

#20 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

My guess is that Kubes will want to stick as an OC. Just a hunch............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users