37 replies to this topic

#1 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

We have a "what are you worried about" thread, so how about a what are you optimistic about thread? Why should we be excited for this season? What will be different from last year for good? 

I'll start it off with an obvious one:

Edited by BALTIMOREFLACCO, 05 August 2014 - 02:34 PM.

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#2 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

I am positive that we will be better running the ball and stopping the run in 2014. These two things seem to drive our success.

Offense: 1,328 total yds (3.1 yrds/carry)

Defense: 1,687 total yds allowed (3.8 yrds/carry)

Offense: 1,901 total yds (4.3 yrds/carry)

Defense: 1,965 total yds allowed (4 yrds/carry)

Offense: 1,996 total yrds (4.3 yrds/carry)

Defense: 1,482 total yrds allowed (3.5 yrds/carry)

You can see clearly why we were such a mediocre team last year. We could absolutely not run the ball and we were not totally great in stopping the run. 2012 we were somewhat lucky. Our run defense was not good at all, but our offense sure lifted us through the playoffs. 2011 was our most talented team over the past five years; a shame a couple of plays kept us from the Super Bowl.

Side note, in comparison, 2006 (arguably our best defense of recent years) we allowed 3.1 yrds/carry.

I am positive that we will be back in the realm of 4 yrds per carry and around 3.5 yrds per carry allowed on defense. The offensive line looks like it is back to form, and could be one of the better units in the NFL. The RBs also look like they are playing for their jobs. In addition, Kub's scheme should help.

On defense, we have a great/elite rotation at both NT and DT with Williams, Ngata, Timmy & Tyson. I am a little worried about the DE spot, I hope KLM steps up. Upshaw and Suggs are both great at setting the edge. Suggs is a true hybrid edge setter and pass rusher. Mosley is sounding like he is the real deal. I hope Smith gets better at run support. He was pretty abysmal last year. If he is doing the same thing this year, Mosley may find time at MIKE with Brown and Smith rotating at WILL.

Lastly, Elam should be a great run support guy on the backend.

Go Ravens!!

Edited by acranfor, 05 August 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#3 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Rice back down to proper playing weight and a regrouping upfront on the oline.
Posted Image

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm confident that Joe Flacco finally reaches his potential this season and distinguishes himself as the best QB in the NFL.

Edited by The Raven, 05 August 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#5 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,941 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Working the middle of the field on offense
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#6 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

The key to our offense is the offensive line and it looks to be much improved. KO is back and Yanda is ready to go. Zuttah is a pretty mobile center so he should be great for zone blocking, I'd even throw him in as a dark horse for all pro because if the scheme is run well his weaknesses will be nullified in the run game. Monroe is just going to get better, I predict an elite season from him as he's both the best lineman on the team physically and the best fit for the scheme. KO moves well enough that he can play tackle in a pinch and that's why having him at guard really bodes well for us in this scheme. If KO can continue his development and begin reaching his potential he could be the third all pro candidate on the team. Ricky Wagner is another great fit and a guy whose weaknesses will less problematic in our run game but passing wise and when we just wanna hammer up the middle I worry about him a bit but we can switch him out if needed. 

Im also very happy about the bit of depth we have shaping up. Jensen is going to be huge some day, Urschel I think could be our future center with the intelligence to take over if Zuttah went down. Mims is back and hopefully he can get it right this time around, his strength is amazing.

The line and its depth please me and I think we will continue to get better in this area. 

#7 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Said multiple times. I'm optimistic about a Super Bowl

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I don't know if it's because of Bobby Engram, Steve Smith or a renewed sense of urgency, but all our receivers look better already and are making catches we've never seen out of this generation of Baltimore WRs. 

#9 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

The coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball is much improved.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#10 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Torrey Smith making the Pro Bowl Leap

#11 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

The offense keeping drives alive and the D making the critical stops in the 4th qtr. Plus 4 in the win column.

#12 RBates

RBates

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

One question? Is Brandon Williams the strongest Raven? Wow!!!!!!

If this is true,  our defensive line is beast.....  We have athletes at every position.  

#13 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

We have a "what are you worried about" thread, so how about a what are you optimistic about thread? Why should we be excited for this season? What will be different from last year for good?

I'll start it off with an obvious one:

The only other candidate I would've been really excited was Jordan matthews.

But CJ is the man. Both have major class. But CJ will be a leader among men. When suggs/ngata is gone in near future, this guy is going to be the guy that will carry our defense.

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 05 August 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#14 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Good to see Wagner seems to be holding his own.  Only heard good things from him especially considering he is up against Upshaw and Dumervil.  Can't wait to see how the line hold up against San Fran.

2yno6dx.png

#15 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Well since this ​is a positive thread, I am positive that Flacco will be the first QB in NFL history to throw for 10,000 yards in a regular season! 

#16 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Well since this ​is a positive thread, I am positive that Flacco will be the first QB in NFL history to throw for 10,000 yards in a regular season!

I could do it in Madden on Easy! Haha

#17 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

I think Poe has his best season yet.

#18 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

I could do it in Madden on Easy! Haha

I could do it on All-Madden maybe with 7 min quarters and no accelerated clock.  I'd have him looking like a football god.

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I could do it on All-Madden maybe with 7 min quarters and no accelerated clock. I'd have him looking like a football god.

On easy I had Flacco do 12,000 by week 13. I had him averaging about 1000 yards a week because I put Torrey in the slot on every play

#20 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

Optimism - We will win the division. There are a number of reasons that I feel come in to play. The first is our coaching staff. The second is our overall organization. Then we have a team that has that “it” factor when it comes to competing. Our overall team is as talent as any other. We have good depth in almost every position. Our guys REALLY did not like sitting out in January. We have a lot easier schedule than the Bengals. And I think that Pittsburg has another year before they are fully back to their dominant ways. I think that the new offense is going to be great for Joe. Ray Rice will be out to prove a lot on the field this year. Pitta will be back to his old form. Steve Smith Sr. knows that he has been given a gift and also knows that now is his best shot at getting that SB ring. He will have a fire all season long. Suggs was not a happy camper about missing the playoffs. I think that he will push all the defense to do better and Pees is emphatic that the defense get its swagger back. Our O-line got flak all year from us fans and they know they will be under a microscope. The talent is there and I think that Gary’s zone blocking scheme will work very well. The last thing is Ozzie and his steals during preseason. He will plug any depth problems. I am going to make a prediction for the first time ever. I think that we will be 11-6 this year. So, come on Ravens! Let's get the division and our swag back!!

Edited by ravens533, 05 August 2014 - 09:19 PM.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users