BALTIMOREFLACCO

All Positive "Rah Rah" Optimism Thread

38 posts in this topic

We have a "what are you worried about" thread, so how about a what are you optimistic about thread? Why should we be excited for this season? What will be different from last year for good? 

I'll start it off with an obvious one:

Edited by BALTIMOREFLACCO

I am positive that we will be better running the ball and stopping the run in 2014. These two things seem to drive our success.

Offense: 1,328 total yds (3.1 yrds/carry)

Defense: 1,687 total yds allowed (3.8 yrds/carry)

Offense: 1,901 total yds (4.3 yrds/carry)

Defense: 1,965 total yds allowed (4 yrds/carry)

Offense: 1,996 total yrds (4.3 yrds/carry)

Defense: 1,482 total yrds allowed (3.5 yrds/carry)

You can see clearly why we were such a mediocre team last year. We could absolutely not run the ball and we were not totally great in stopping the run. 2012 we were somewhat lucky. Our run defense was not good at all, but our offense sure lifted us through the playoffs. 2011 was our most talented team over the past five years; a shame a couple of plays kept us from the Super Bowl.

Side note, in comparison, 2006 (arguably our best defense of recent years) we allowed 3.1 yrds/carry.

I am positive that we will be back in the realm of 4 yrds per carry and around 3.5 yrds per carry allowed on defense. The offensive line looks like it is back to form, and could be one of the better units in the NFL. The RBs also look like they are playing for their jobs. In addition, Kub's scheme should help.

On defense, we have a great/elite rotation at both NT and DT with Williams, Ngata, Timmy & Tyson. I am a little worried about the DE spot, I hope KLM steps up. Upshaw and Suggs are both great at setting the edge. Suggs is a true hybrid edge setter and pass rusher. Mosley is sounding like he is the real deal. I hope Smith gets better at run support. He was pretty abysmal last year. If he is doing the same thing this year, Mosley may find time at MIKE with Brown and Smith rotating at WILL.

Lastly, Elam should be a great run support guy on the backend.

Go Ravens!!

Edited by acranfor

I'm confident that Joe Flacco finally reaches his potential this season and distinguishes himself as the best QB in the NFL.

Edited by The Raven

The key to our offense is the offensive line and it looks to be much improved. KO is back and Yanda is ready to go. Zuttah is a pretty mobile center so he should be great for zone blocking, I'd even throw him in as a dark horse for all pro because if the scheme is run well his weaknesses will be nullified in the run game. Monroe is just going to get better, I predict an elite season from him as he's both the best lineman on the team physically and the best fit for the scheme. KO moves well enough that he can play tackle in a pinch and that's why having him at guard really bodes well for us in this scheme. If KO can continue his development and begin reaching his potential he could be the third all pro candidate on the team. Ricky Wagner is another great fit and a guy whose weaknesses will less problematic in our run game but passing wise and when we just wanna hammer up the middle I worry about him a bit but we can switch him out if needed. 

Im also very happy about the bit of depth we have shaping up. Jensen is going to be huge some day, Urschel I think could be our future center with the intelligence to take over if Zuttah went down. Mims is back and hopefully he can get it right this time around, his strength is amazing.

The line and its depth please me and I think we will continue to get better in this area. 

I don't know if it's because of Bobby Engram, Steve Smith or a renewed sense of urgency, but all our receivers look better already and are making catches we've never seen out of this generation of Baltimore WRs. 

The offense keeping drives alive and the D making the critical stops in the 4th qtr. Plus 4 in the win column.

One question? Is Brandon Williams the strongest Raven? Wow!!!!!!

If this is true,  our defensive line is beast.....  We have athletes at every position.  

We have a "what are you worried about" thread, so how about a what are you optimistic about thread? Why should we be excited for this season? What will be different from last year for good?

I'll start it off with an obvious one:

The only other candidate I would've been really excited was Jordan matthews.

But CJ is the man. Both have major class. But CJ will be a leader among men. When suggs/ngata is gone in near future, this guy is going to be the guy that will carry our defense.

Edited by Ravenseconbeast

Good to see Wagner seems to be holding his own.  Only heard good things from him especially considering he is up against Upshaw and Dumervil.  Can't wait to see how the line hold up against San Fran.

Well since this ​is a positive thread, I am positive that Flacco will be the first QB in NFL history to throw for 10,000 yards in a regular season! 

Well since this ​is a positive thread, I am positive that Flacco will be the first QB in NFL history to throw for 10,000 yards in a regular season!

I could do it in Madden on Easy! Haha

I could do it on All-Madden maybe with 7 min quarters and no accelerated clock.  I'd have him looking like a football god.

I could do it on All-Madden maybe with 7 min quarters and no accelerated clock. I'd have him looking like a football god.

On easy I had Flacco do 12,000 by week 13. I had him averaging about 1000 yards a week because I put Torrey in the slot on every play

Optimism - We will win the division. There are a number of reasons that I feel come in to play. The first is our coaching staff. The second is our overall organization. Then we have a team that has that “it” factor when it comes to competing. Our overall team is as talent as any other. We have good depth in almost every position. Our guys REALLY did not like sitting out in January. We have a lot easier schedule than the Bengals. And I think that Pittsburg has another year before they are fully back to their dominant ways. I think that the new offense is going to be great for Joe. Ray Rice will be out to prove a lot on the field this year. Pitta will be back to his old form. Steve Smith Sr. knows that he has been given a gift and also knows that now is his best shot at getting that SB ring. He will have a fire all season long. Suggs was not a happy camper about missing the playoffs. I think that he will push all the defense to do better and Pees is emphatic that the defense get its swagger back. Our O-line got flak all year from us fans and they know they will be under a microscope. The talent is there and I think that Gary’s zone blocking scheme will work very well. The last thing is Ozzie and his steals during preseason. He will plug any depth problems. I am going to make a prediction for the first time ever. I think that we will be 11-6 this year. So, come on Ravens! Let's get the division and our swag back!!

Edited by ravens533

On easy I had Flacco do 12,000 by week 13. I had him averaging about 1000 yards a week because I put Torrey in the slot on every play

Nice

Nice

Just send him deep every play vs the #3 corner.... He'll catch it every time haha.

Just happy that Cam's send em deep and only deep, playbook is gone

There is so much to be excited about. I mean lets face it, last season was the worse and even at our worse we were still an 8-8 team. So if last season was the bottom and the only place to go is up, we should definitely be back to winning 10+ games this year.

I'm excited about Flacco most of all, I think this offense fits him like a glove and he'll finally be on an level playing field with the other top QBs. He now has the weapons, protection and most importantly the system. What him work. I promise the Flacco hate will slow down plenty this year and come to a halt within 2 years. That's media and fans included.

I'm more excited about BP then Ray Rice honestly. I love Ray, but I just think BP fits this offense perfectly and can't wait to see him be the primary back over the first 2 weeks.

Excited about Torrey Smith continuing to improve and take his place among the better WRs in the game. A lot of people thought that Torrey vs Julio thread was crazy to even think about, but I have a feeling many opinions will start to change after this year. Look for Torrey to be used a lot like Reggie Wayne/Torrey Holt and if that's the case he'll have top 5 numbers imo.

Excited about the young fast and physical defense. I think Jimmy, Elam, Timmy and CJ are our studs and next generation leaders moving forward. Of course you have so many more guys on that side of the ball who can do just that.....BALL!!!! I look forward to seeing how this dline performs. I think we could be one of the best in the NFL similar to what Spagz had with the NYG their super bowl years. Allow those guys to hunt with the front 4 and mix up coverage on the back end.

Speaking of coverage, I can't wait to see Jimmy turn into that lockdown guy we expected when taking him in the 1st round. There is a lot of talk about other CBs in NE and DEN, but we might have one of the best in the AFC and I hope he shadows WRs just like he did Megatron this year.

I'm excited to see Steve Smith. Always been a huge fan from a far and thought he "played like a Raven" and to now have him is big. Can't wait to see guys like him, Juice, Pitta, and O.D work the middle of the field and allow Torrey, Coby and Marlon to do their thing outside and deep.

I'm excited about the coaches. We finally have a OC that understands the chess match of an NFL game. I think the Kubiak Flacco pair will be huge and will take the NFL by storm. This is not just excitement that football is back, I honestly see Flacco performing to an MVP level in this offense and Kubes staying aboard and going down as one of the best OCs in the NFL. Mr B. will give him that Eric DeCosta type deal to stay as OC, meaning close to HC money.

I'm also excited to see both Chykie and Asa. Many people are afraid to allow young guys to fail but that's exactly what Ozzie is doing and even though Chykie had his struggles early in camp, he seems to be turning it around. He is no different then Corey Graham when he first came to the team, he just needs that opportunity to shine. The same as Ace. I actually think Ace is gonna be a star in the slot. He's an natural playmaker and just fits us perfectly.

Madden? I'm talking about this season......in real life! Think about it. He's not called Joe Cool for nothing.

Edited by DomMcRaven

Excited about our D-line.

Our front seven, actually.

I think Williams and Tyson could take major steps forward this year.  Hopefully Brown can do the same.

Plus adding Mosely and Jernigan.

...If Ngata and Suggs can stay healthy and play like themselves all year...

This could be a very good thing.

So many positive things to look forward to this year.........

Ngata and Pitta in good health, Smitty working the middle of the field, rejuvenated O line, RR returning to form, D. Smith and CJ anchoring the middle, etc., etc., etc..

And of course, #5 in your program and #1 in your hearts, THE FLACCO!

I think Flacco, Pitta, Torrey, Ngata, Suggs, Webb, Yanda, Tucker, Jimmy, and Monroe all have pro bowl potential. I think Flacco, Monroe, Tucker, Yanda, and Suggs make it. I feel that Jimmy/Webb will deserve it, but get snubbed.

Further more, I think CJ Mosely is easily the frontrunner for DROY because of Clowney's positional change, and the general struggles passrushers tend to face their first year. Furthermore, I like the support cast around him. 

Edited by ravensnick

I think Flacco, Pitta, Torrey, Ngata, Suggs, Webb, Yanda, Tucker, Jimmy, and Monroe all have pro bowl potential. I think Flacco, Monroe, Tucker, Yanda, and Suggs make it. I feel that Jimmy/Webb will deserve it, but get snubbed.

Further more, I think CJ Mosely is easily the frontrunner for DROY because of Clowney's positional change, and the general struggles passrushers tend to face their first year. Furthermore, I like the support cast around him. 

I'd add both KO and BP to this list. If Pierce can stay healthy he can have an Alfred Morris type impact in this system. He could really become a top 10 back if not better in this offense, I have no doubt in my mind. KO is a beast. The only way he'll get proper recognition is if the running game is like top 5-10 but he definitely has pro bowl potential at LG.

Excited about our D-line.

Our front seven, actually.

I think Williams and Tyson could take major steps forward this year.  Hopefully Brown can do the same.

Plus adding Mosely and Jernigan.

...If Ngata and Suggs can stay healthy and play like themselves all year...

This could be a very good thing.

I think the Jernigan thing could turn out to be something really special. I am so excited about that player. Our front seven will be top 5 in the NFL.