Nightman

Future NFL team relocations

271 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

Bam!

Raiders to Vegas: 31-1 Miami opposed, per source.

It's official: The #Raiders are going to Vegas. They cleared the 24 vote threshold.

Thats lame. 

I feel bad for the fans. 

1 hour ago, K-Dog said:

Thats lame. 

I feel bad for the fans. 

What's even more lame is that they will be in Oakland for two years while they build a stadium in Vegas. Who's gonna go to those games?

45 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

What's even more lame is that they will be in Oakland for two years while they build a stadium in Vegas. Who's gonna go to those games?

Hopefully no one - to try and send some sort of message to the NFL that they shouldn't start viewing locations as temporary

I think it's time the NFL to open expansion back up, yeah figuring out conferences, divisions and playoff format with new franchises will be a giant hurdle but expansion to new cities is better than cities losing teams. Vegas and LA could have had expansion teams, not taking teams from their old cities.

2 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

I think you will be surprised.  Prices are going to plummet.  John Q. Fan can now afford to go.

For perspective Oakland is losing a team, we are just losing a message board.

3 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

I think you will be surprised.  Prices are going to plummet.  John Q. Fan can now afford to go.

And I'm sure some fans will go to make the most of the last few seasons that they will have the Raiders in Oakland.

Yeah as really think hopefully the Vegas fans will warm up to the Raiders. As Oakland has to be pretty sad over it.

Am I the only one who thinks its funny that these mayors of teams who relocate always come out and say they are disappointed with the move. That they are disappointed in the NFL, when in fact they only say that to make themselves look good and the NFL look bad. 

How many years did they have to secure new stadium deals in the past? Yet they always wait for the last minute to try to do something. That'a part of why teams leave in the first place, no support from said city. 

2 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

Am I the only one who thinks its funny that these mayors of teams who relocate always come out and say they are disappointed with the move. That they are disappointed in the NFL, when in fact they only say that to make themselves look good and the NFL look bad. 

How many years did they have to secure new stadium deals in the past? Yet they always wait for the last minute to try to do something. That'a part of why teams leave in the first place, no support from said city. 

According to Oakland A's fans on sb nation the raiders and their owner have constantly screwed over the city with handouts and lawsuits against it especially when they came back to Oakland after they were in LA. So really a city shouldn't front the bill for a team especially one that decided to come back. Either way sad for the raiders but good for my oakland A's. Isn't it funny how the raiders are finally decent again and now they are getting moved. If the browns made the playoffs and then announced a move to portland it would almost be similar.

4 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Will there still be a John Q fan in Oakland? IDK.  

If the Ravens committed to a move to Alabama in 2019, would Bill B. Bmore fan flock to The Bank for the next two years to bid them a fond farewell because they now could afford to attend? 

From NFL Memes:

FUN FACT: Following the Oakland Raiders move to Las Vegas, the largest remaining city in the United States without a professional football team is now Cleveland.

Here's a little video of a preview of the Raiders new $2 Billion stadium that will be completed by 2020. It's quite impressive.

Those last two years in Oakland will be like the Houston Oilers in 1995 when 3 weeks before the season owner Bud Adams announced he was going to move the team to Nashville, and play a couple of lame duck seasons in the Astrodome, it was half full at best, then the played a season at Memphis in the Liberty Bowl which not many people showed up.  They played one more year at Vanderbilt and they moved to Nashville and became the Tennessee Titans.

This was also mentioned by a Browns fan who called himself Art Bietz as part of his anti Baltimore website Greedwatch.com

2 hours ago, JO_75 said:

Here's a little video of a preview of the Raiders new $2 Billion stadium that will be completed by 2020. It's quite impressive.

I really can't tell.

Is it open air or enclosed?

I think as long as they're winning people will pay to see the Raiders. In part its making the most of the time they have left, but also in hopes that the Raiders give the city one more championship before leaving.

I suggest the city of Oakland find a way to kick out Davis and the Raiders. The team should just play at 35,000 seat Sam Boyd stadium near Vegas until their new one's ready.  

It's a shame more owners don't agree to leave behind team names and history when they move, like what Art did when the Browns became the Ravens. That way if by chance Oakland got an expansion team it could get the Raiders again.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, Pats said:

Yeah and who's gonna pay for that stadium? Not raiders management

A lot of money will come from tourist tax.  I read that a plan was to add an extra $1.50 hotel tax which was guess to come out to around 750million a year. 

9 hours ago, usmccharles said:

A lot of money will come from tourist tax.  I read that a plan was to add an extra $1.50 hotel tax which was guess to come out to around 750million a year. 

That's bs, that money should go to more important things in nevada honestly.

10 hours ago, Pats said:

Well, you could basically say that for a lot of things.  Im sure every single city could use money placed elsewhere

On 3/30/2017 at 11:13 PM, Pats said:

Well, in Las Vegas' case, the city lives on tourism. If they actually use that stadium for more than just football and it manages to draw in tourists year round, it could turn out to be a sound investment.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:55 AM, RaineV1 said:

It's a shame more owners don't agree to leave behind team names and history when they move, like what Art did when the Browns became the Ravens. That way if by chance Oakland got an expansion team it could get the Raiders again.

Art was forced to leave the name, colors and history behind as part of an out of court settlement with the City of Cleveland, so they wouldn't sue him over the last year of the lease there.

3 hours ago, Nightman said:

Art was forced to leave the name, colors and history behind as part of an out of court settlement with the City of Cleveland, so they wouldn't sue him over the last year of the lease there.

I wouldn't say forced. Balt fans didn't want the name. Remember.

5 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

Well, in Las Vegas' case, the city lives on tourism. If they actually use that stadium for more than just football and it manages to draw in tourists year round, it could turn out to be a sound investment.

Spot on.

6 hours ago, Willbacker said:

I wouldn't say forced. Balt fans didn't want the name. Remember.

It definitely wasn't out of the goodness of Modells heart,.

On 01/04/2017 at 9:00 PM, RaineV1 said:

I get that but i've never enjoy rich owners getting off not footing the bill for the team. Especially when it was their choice to move the team. Good thing football is a winter sport who in the right mind would ever watch a live game in vegas heat it's awful.

10 minutes ago, Pats said:

I get that but i've never enjoy rich owners getting off not footing the bill for the team. Especially when it was their choice to move the team. Good thing football is a winter sport who in the right mind would ever watch a live game in vegas heat it's awful.

In this case, it's not quite the typical rich owner. Like, 90% of Davis' money is in The Raiders. They're his entire business, really. He could potentially have sold the team or some percentage of the ownership of the team to someone who could invest in the stadium in Oakland, but there's the chance that they'd just want to move the team to a better market with public money anyways.

I think the real solution would be the NFL itself allocating a percent of its profits each year to fixing up stadiums in whatever order. It would really help out the teams in smaller markets and less rich owners.