Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ellicottraven

Can we now shut up about Joe Flacco's contract?

215 posts in this topic

With Dalton signing a 6 yr extn. worth 115MM and Colin Kaepernik's recent contract, can the national media and football fans chill about paying Flacco 120MM over the same time frame??

If anybody thinks Joe Flacco earning a million more than Andy Dalton each year, isn't an absolute steal for the Ravens must be smoking a banned substance. No truthfully they must be high. I am beginning to think Flacco is a steal for the Ravens considering he has already won a SB and has been MVP of the SB! 

Can you imagine Andy Dalton accomplishing anything remotely similar??

Dalton's got a lot of tools.. Gresham.. Effert, Bernard, good o-line, Green some good WRs...

Flacco didnt have those tools and that O-Line thats for sure and he won a lot more playoffs games

I know I'm no better than the guys that talked bad about Flacco's contract but...LOL. I gotta give it back after taking.

Also watch the same people that badmouthed flacco's contract suddenly understand football economics.

Just thank god we didn't wait to pay Flacco. If we signed him this off season it might be like 150mil.

Yep 100% agree. Flacco's contract at the time set an All-Time high, which is why it was so debated. But now that is the cost of locking up franchise QB's with the contracts we've seen. Dalton is an average QB on a stacked team, I find it hard not to argue that this is a massive overpayment for him.

But then again, it's better then searching year after year for a franchise QB (like we did till Flacco). If you've got a guy your confident in, you may as well pay him.

Wow. I know it's hard to even find a decent QB in the draft, but I've never seen a QB struggle this much on such a LOADED team. 

The thing, that sold me on Joe, was the fact that he managed to get us a SB ring, when the situation wasn't optimal. Dalton should be looking like Joe freaking Montana at this point.

Now myThree words.....Romo, Ryan, Stafford...  have to become 4...  add in Dalton.

NONE of these guys should be making more than Joe...  Sorry...  Their Stats might be better, but their "records" are not.

Dalton's contract is fine. He does a good job in the regular season and if that town thought Carson palmers 100m contract was fine and he never won a playoff then nonissue with dalton.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000373822/article/andy-dalton-bengals-reach-sixyear-115m-extension?akmobile=ios&akcarrier=other

Guaranteed money is unknown but they think it's structured like kaepernick which means only next year is guaranteed

That $115 million carries a lot of conditions. It's a smart deal.

It may do that, but even with all these conditions you don't give $115 mil to a guy who hasn't won a playoff game

Bengals are hoping they sign him before he takes off or gets more leverage. Flacco had the ultimate upperhand and the Ravens paid for it - Flacco earned it and, as Bisciotti said, banged on the desk.

Now... the Bengals have to hope he wins for them. If not, he's overpaid.

It may do that, but even with all these conditions you don't give $115 mil to a guy who hasn't won a playoff game

1 playoff game on the other hand...

Matt%2BRyan%2BDivisional%2BPlayoffs%2BGr

Just when everyone has quieted down and everyone(media) and skeptics including myself are eager about this offense, someone just HAS to create drama and rail this forum into another 'flacco drama' topic.

Let's move on, preseason is coming in 3 days..

It's basically a year to year deal. It's like when people whine about Flacco getting $120M when he is very likely not actually getting that much.

It's basically a year to year deal. It's like when people whine about Flacco getting $120M when he is very likely not actually getting that much.

Have you seen the structure? Link if you have.

There is 1 huge difference between the two. Flacco got paid AFTER the fact. Dalton's contract is a risk. He has never won a playoff game period. Flacco had won a buttload prior.

Have you seen the structure? Link if you have.

I haven't, but I heard them talking about it on the radio. Or maybe Vinny was just talking out of his rear (wouldn't be the first time).

Even if its not structured like kaepernick he entire $115m isn't guaranteed ted so they didnt give him that much either.

Joes deal has $50m guaranteed so that's the first important number to look at in Dalton's deal if you are to compare it to flaccos

Why are people looking for every reason to defend this guy?  I don't see anyone else on the team that people go out of there way to try and make excuses for.  Great, Flacco's contract doesn't look that bad, yet.  As long as he restructures in 2 or 3 years, you won't hear this guy complain about it. 

1 playoff game on the other hand...

Matt%2BRyan%2BDivisional%2BPlayoffs%2BGr

Hahaha.

Ryan is like Romo. His incompetent GM only gives him weapons, and doesn't build most of the rest of the team well...... Both would probably win a SB if they were on the bengals. You can't choke if the team doesn't give up a lead to begin with

Just when everyone has quieted down and everyone(media) and skeptics including myself are eager about this offense, someone just HAS to create drama and rail this forum into another 'flacco drama' topic.

Let's move on, preseason is coming in 3 days..

This appears to be a viable discussion as Dalton has signed his new contract recently.....  It's a discussion...  Anyone can choose to participate or choose not to participate.  If you wish not to discuss this please move on. It's fine....

Bengals are hoping they sign him before he takes off or gets more leverage. Flacco had the ultimate upperhand and the Ravens paid for it - Flacco earned it and, as Bisciotti said, banged on the desk.

Ding Ding Ding....  We have a winner!

Flacco had the ultimate upper hand because he won a freaking SB. And they won it BECAUSE of him. If you have a great postseason and bring home a ring, you're worth the money.

What has Dalton done in his career? Great stats? Yes. But on a team with

Green

Jones

Sanu

Gio

Eifert

Gresham

That line

And that defense

The fact that he hasn't won a playoff game is utterly pathetic IMO. And that's all that really matters at the end of the day really. He and Stafford don't deserve the money. Ryan and Romo play on teams where the GMs are incompetents

No one had more weapons than Dalton last season. It's too much money for someone who hasn't proved anything yet. Bengals are just betting pretty hard on him breaking out, I guess.

I'm not as shocked as I thought I'd be. It's the going rate these days. I just can't wait to see what the 2012 class of QB's upcoming contracts will be.

It debatable whether Dalton's contract is that bad. The thing is the value of a QB gets higher every year so people are going to overstate how big a deal this is just like people did Flacco's. We of all people should know that the big showy number of money everyone talks about isn't what the guy is going to get so lets not act ignorant now. We're better than that. Also I don't know if Dalton can lead a team to the title but I do know one of the most talented teams in the NFL can drag him to one where he can beat any team with all the weapons and protection he has. But yeah, Ravens fans should understand football economics enough now to not blow up over this. Smart fan base ftw.

The only comparison between Dalton and Flacco is the amount of money they are getting. Flacco is a far more talented QB by pretty much every perceptible measure. 

Dalton has been carried to the playoffs by an extremely talented roster, but in the big moments he hasn't been able to win against marginal AFC playoff teams.

The only comparison between Dalton and Flacco is the amount of money they are getting. Flacco is a far more talented QB by pretty much every perceptible measure. 

Dalton has been carried to the playoffs by an extremely talented roster, but in the big moments he hasn't been able to win against marginal AFC playoff teams.

The Chargers sure, but those Texans teams were pretty good.

It's funny to me that people are so quick to get on a young qb while still coming with the same Flacco will break out this year excuse.  He got paid and so did our guy.  What difference does it make what they pay their guy and what we pay ours as long as we see results.

The Chargers sure, but those Texans teams were pretty good.

It's funny to me that people are so quick to get on a young qb while still coming with the same Flacco will break out this year excuse.  He got paid and so did our guy.  What difference does it make what they pay their guy and what we pay ours as long as we see results.

Flacco doesn't need to break out. He's already proven he's worthy of a big contract. Dalton on the other hand has never done anything except melt under pressure. He doesn't have the physical tools to overcome difficulties, and he clearly doesn't have the poise you want in a QB.

I agree B!

#Mili

It debatable whether Dalton's contract is that bad. The thing is the value of a QB gets higher every year so people are going to overstate how big a deal this is just like people did Flacco's. We of all people should know that the big showy number of money everyone talks about isn't what the guy is going to get so lets not act ignorant now. We're better than that. Also I don't know if Dalton can lead a team to the title but I do know one of the most talented teams in the NFL can drag him to one where he can beat any team with all the weapons and protection he has. But yeah, Ravens fans should understand football economics enough now to not blow up over this. Smart fan base ftw.

All of this. Ravens fans should know better by now.