19 replies to this topic

#1 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Richie Leone was a great punter in College last year and Sam Koch represents a over 2 million dollar cap hit. Any one have any ideas of the punter battle so far?

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

There isn't much of one.  I've heard that Leone isn't doing too bad, but he's not doing well enough to replace Koch.

#3 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,588 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Zero I would guess.
Posted Image

#4 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Koch is fine. 

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#5 Ravenatic20

Ravenatic20

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Koch comes at a price, but that includes a consistent holder for FG kicks as well.  You can't replace that.

EdReedSIGrig-1-1.jpg

#6 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Koch is fine.

His been clearly regressing for past 2 years. Some of those kicks costs us a game.

#7 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Koch comes at a price, but that includes a consistent holder for FG kicks as well. You can't replace that.

Yeah, and the fact that the rookie was never a holder in college isn't a good thing. Those guys need to practice together a lot to get their rhythm and timing down. We don't want to see a bunch of botched snaps that lead to missed FGs. If a really, really good player became available after cuts and we absolutely need Koch's 2M I could see it happening, but I doubt we get rid of him.

#8 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, and the fact that the rookie was never a holder in college isn't a good thing. Those guys need to practice together a lot to get their rhythm and timing down. We don't want to see a bunch of botched snaps that lead to missed FGs. If a really, really good player became available after cuts and we absolutely need Koch's 2M I could see it happening, but I doubt we get rid of him.

And how many really good players get cut right before the season?  Pretty much 0.  Koch will be staying.  We don't really need the money for anything or else he would have been gone back in March.

#9 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

His been clearly regressing for past 2 years. Some of those kicks costs us a game.

What games? Don't remember the Super Bowl?

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#10 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

And how many really good players get cut right before the season? Pretty much 0. Koch will be staying. We don't really need the money for anything or else he would have been gone back in March.

Exactly...

#11 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

. Some of those kicks costs us a game.

I am gonna need a little help with that statement....

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#12 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

I am gonna need a little help with that statement....

Too lazy to check on it. But I believe he was top 5 in allowing TD returns from punt @NFL.

#13 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'd say there isn't much of a battle, but I will say these preseason games could change that a bit. When I was out at practice, albeit one day, both guys seemed pretty even in the punting game. Koch seemed to have a lot of life in his leg and Leone as expected from a young buck boomed the ball as well. I'd say with Leone has a decent shot of at least hanging around with a phantom injury to be stashed if he does well in the preseason. But I don't see the Wolf Pack being broken up, at least not this year.

mj5v69.jpg

#14 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Too lazy to check on it. But I believe he was top 5 in allowing TD returns from punt @NFL.

I don't know about all of that. Where did you see this?

#15 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Richie Leone was a great punter in College last year and Sam Koch represents a over 2 million dollar cap hit. Any one have any ideas of the punter battle so far?

I think the Ravens understand that field position is amongst the most important stat to win football games. $2M in cap savings when they have ample cap room isn't going to make them cut Koch, unless of course Richie is outperforming him in training camp which I seriously doubt based on what I hear...

Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#16 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,161 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I didn't realize that Koch was solely responsible for tackling the returner during punts.

C'mon man.  Allowing TD returns on punts mostly an ST coverage issue and not a punter issue.

#17 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,007 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Looking at stats, Koch had a career high of 90 Punts last year, before that 86 was his highest, in 2006. His average in 2006 was 43 yards, and he pretty much stayed around there with not much improvement. He pretty much stayed between 43 - 47 on average yards through his whole career.

His average last year was 46 yards, good enough for 13th best of all Punters in the NFL. Raiders P Marquette King led the league in average yards of 48.9, while the lowest average yards was 40 yards. He was tied for 8th in terms of the longest Punt made last year with a 69 yard punt. The longest Punt was 84 Yards with 75, 74, 72, 72 being the top five longest punts made last year. 

In 2013, Leone averaged 43.2 Yards and a long of 65 yards for the Houston Cougars. Though in 2012, Leone made a career long 77 yard punt.

Edited by JO_75, 07 August 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#18 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Can't break up the "wolfpack".  Seriously though I think we will keep Koch despite his cap hit.  However, it never hurts to get some competition.  He is a great PK holder.  Both Koch and Morgan Cox make tucker an even better kicker than he already is.

#19 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

I didn't realize that Koch was solely responsible for tackling the returner during punts.

C'mon man. Allowing TD returns on punts mostly an ST coverage issue and not a punter issue.

I know his not solely responsible, but he was a contributing factor to many of those. I'm sure you heard commentator point it out few times here and there.

But my gut tells me the guy is going to regress. I think putting another guy every season to try them out is a start. Koch has to go sooner than later

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 07 August 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#20 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

I know his not solely responsible, but he was a contributing factor to many of those. I'm sure you heard commentator point it out few times here and there.

But my gut tells me the guy is going to regress. I think putting another guy every season to try them out is a start. Koch has to go sooner than later

it'll be after this year when we can save $2.5M.  I honestly would not be surprised to see us put Leone on the PS to give him a chance to develop a repertoire with Cox and Tucker with an eye towards the future.  It sounds crazy to put a P on the PS, but if we think he can be a future piece, why not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users