Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ausman

Why wait till the last minute for Extensions?

41 posts in this topic

Ozzie Newsome is a great GM and I have the utmost respect for him.

However if there is one room for improvement it would be to get Contract Extensions done a year ahead of time!

Dennis Pitta, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis and especially Joe Flacco were all signed last minute and it cost us a lot of money.

Elite teams like the Patriots and Seahawks wasted no time to sign their players to extensions and that' why they are elite they learn to hold a team together.

Now Jimmy and Torrey Smiths contracts are almost up and I'm worried why they haven't signed extensions yet and it's a little disturbing.

We can not afford to so sign them if they happen to have breakout years we have to sign them now.

Football is becoming a "Dirty" business because of these sports agents who claim to have their best interests in hand when they are just after corruption and greed.

We need to stop waiting till the last minute to do extensions if we expect to win another Superbowl.

We are also not in positions to rely on free agency to rebuild our team and plus 90% of the time free agency can ruin a player's career because they are not a good fit with their new teams. Ben Grubbs was never the same player after he left for NOLA. 

So let's stop this madness of waiting till the last minute to get our core players extended. You get them done 1 year before their contract expires.

So the Ravens aren't an elite organization because we "wait until the last minute" to extend a player? I for one am just fine with how our front office handles players. We usually don't jump on a player coming off their best season and pay him what he thinks he's worth.

The steelers front office has been abysmal in the handling of contracts. They have restructured themselves these past years into salary cap hell. This is also coupled with bad drafting lately It will show this season, and subsequent seasons.

The Pats, they have Tom Brady and there are very few BIG NAME talents on the Patriots. As much as I don't like the guy for what he's done to us, he makes the absolute very best out of nothing. The Pats are very good at what they do, just like us.

I still cannot believe you think the Ravens are not an elite organization....

A contract takes two signatures.  Trying to force Ozzie to sign players early is going to lead to even more large contracts with a level of play that doesn't match the pay.  This front office is awesome because they will pay the player what they think they are worth - if the player thinks they are worth more, then they are free to look at other teams who are willing to pay them that.  This is how we've managed to maintain a balanced team (for the most part) without huge cap issues for most of the time we've been an NFL team. 

This team has been around for 18 seasons and we've got two Super Bowls under our belt.  I think things are fine the way they are.

Uh..we paid ray lewis too high?..

Kind of what I was thinking, I thought we let him test the market cause he thought he could get more & found he couldn't. You also have players that want to wait & gamble that their last year under contract will increase their next contract... It's not always the GM holding things up when it comes to contracts

Man things are so much more complex than this that to call other teams "elite" without giving the same respect to Baltimore just seems ignorant. No offense but I honestly think you could have played Madden franchise mode and learned enough to not have made this thread. 

1. How long have you actually followed the NFL?

2. How did waiting cost us money on Ray, Pitta, and Suggs? Please explain.

3. Please provide examples of specific Seahawk and Patriot signings.

Richard Sherman is the only significant one IMO.

There's also Brady but were those two every really going anywhere else?

Richard Sherman is the only significant one IMO.

There's also Brady but were those two every really going anywhere else?

Earl Thomas

Ah. Figured I was forgetting someone.

Again, all pro saftey. Is he really leaving?

I'm hoping their big signings catch up with them

So the Ravens aren't an elite organization because we "wait until the last minute" to extend a player? I for one am just fine with how our front office handles players. We usually don't jump on a player coming off their best season and pay him what he thinks he's worth.

The steelers front office has been abysmal in the handling of contracts. They have restructured themselves these past years into salary cap hell. This is also coupled with bad drafting lately It will show this season, and subsequent seasons.

The Pats, they have Tom Brady and there are very few BIG NAME talents on the Patriots. As much as I don't like the guy for what he's done to us, he makes the absolute very best out of nothing. The Pats are very good at what they do, just like us.

I still cannot believe you think the Ravens are not an elite organization....

The Ravens are and Elite organization! What I meant to say is in order to become a Dynasty, we have to learn to hold a team together. And we have to get extensions done a year before the contract of our Core players are up. You got me?

I know the Ravens are elite people sheesh get off my back will you!

I just want the ravens to take that next step towards being a Dynasty!

1. How long have you actually followed the NFL?

2. How did waiting cost us money on Ray, Pitta, and Suggs? Please explain.

1. 15 years

2.  Ray never gave us a hometown discount. Pitta is debatable becuase his injury did save us money. And Suggs was very last minute the 6 year contract we could have gotten him for $2million less per year but now it's nullified becuase we got him to restructure. And Haloti we definately had to overpay becuase his agent is a pain in the a**.

Seahawk signings: Traded for Marshawn Lynch, got Percy Harvin ,signed Richard Sherman to extension almost immediately after the superbowl (that's how you gotta do it) Earl Thomas as well. They never made any splashes but I meantioned them as an example becuase they know how to hold a team together.

Patriot Signings (Other than Tom Brady): Of course they got Adalius Thomas from us, traded for Randy Moss and Wes Welker, Signed Junior Seau, singed Brandon Browner, and signed Darrelle Revis.

Which is why Agents are bad for sports!

Yeah, everything would go smooth as silk if all players represented themselves. C'mon man.

The Ravens are and Elite organization! What I meant to say is in order to become a Dynasty, we have to learn to hold a team together. And we have to get extensions done a year before the contract of our Core players are up. You got me?

I understand what you're saying but free agency kind of negates holding a dynasty together. We did have a dynasty with Ray Lewos as the centerpiece of our defense. We had no offense for 2001-2005. 06 was a great year and we were prime candidates for the Super Bowl. 07-09 we didn't have the talent there yet offensively. It wasn't until 2010 that we had the firepower to step to the rest of the league. By then, our defense was becoming a shadow of it's former self. We had our shot at a dynasty for a decade and it just didn't happen. It's just great luck that we are able to have an opportunity to recreate that opportunity at a dynasty with the rebuilding and youth movement we suffered through last season. Some teams get a small window to be a dynasty. We had a big open window, lost it, we are opening a new one up this season and I think we have the formula now. Ozzie believes it too

Yeah, everything would go smooth as silk if all players represented themselves. C'mon man.

Ed Reed represented himself...Players grow up fast if they represent themselves especially if they love the teams they play for! Agents tend to spoil and corrupt atheletes and plus they get 10% of their salaries, that's a ripp off!

Edited by Ausman

Ausman, on 02 Aug 2014 - 1:29 PM, said:

plus they get 10% of their salaries, that's a ripp off!

Sorry but agents get a max of 3%.

Also, dynasties and salary caps don't go together; your core team is only a dozen players or so. Teams can't keep all the players they want, that's why Art Jones and Corey Graham walked, money talks.

Edited by Bruce_Almty

Ed Reed represented himself...Players grow up fast if they represent themselves especially if they love the teams they play for! Agents tend to spoil and corrupt atheletes and plus they get 10% of their salaries, that's a ripp off!

Ed Reed could pretty much get what he asked for in his younger days and still negioted a good deal with Houston. That said, Flacco ain't getting $120 million dollars by himself.

Based on your argument, no one should have a lawyer in court. They should go in and do all the work themselves. I'm sure they will ended up with the result they wanted!

Edited by ravensnick

Yeah, this team clearly has no idea how to assemble a team and manage it's finances. Every year, I worry about what that senile Ozzie is going to do next....he's right there with Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder when it comes to "morons with more money than brains".

Yeah, this team clearly has no idea how to assemble a team and manage it's finances. Every year, I worry about what that senile Ozzie is going to do next....he's right there with Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder when it comes to "morons with more money than brains".

Still kills me that he wants us more like Seattle..

Our winning percentage under harbaugh is second to New England

Playoffs all but 1 year since. 2008

Sb win

Name a franchise that has done more since 2008

Then compare out process to theirs.

No rush to get the deals done really and we need that cap space in case a key player goes down or we need to add some veteran depth (CB). 

Still kills me that he wants us more like Seattle..

Our winning percentage under harbaugh is second to New England

Playoffs all but 1 year since. 2008

Sb win

Name a franchise that has done more since 2008

Then compare out process to theirs.

Take a look at what Seattle will be like in a few years becuase they got their core players extended ahead of time and than talk to me...Plus they have the filthy rich Paul Allen as the owner (20X richer than our owner) who is also becoming one of the best owners in football!

Take a look at what Seattle will be like in a few years becuase they got their core players extended ahead of time and than talk to me...Plus they have the filthy rich Paul Allen as the owner (20X richer than our owner) who is also becoming one of the best owners in football!

Wait until they have to pay Russell Wilson and then see how much they struggle under the cap.

Does it really matter than Allen is loaded?  There's still a salary cap.

Wow! You can see the future  (of Seattle in a few years)? Must be nice. Not sure what Allen's financial portfolio has to do with the Seahawks salary cap or how good the team is. You will have to explain that. It certainly has nothing to do with him being a good owner.

As to him becoming one of the best owners, that may be true, but Biscotti IS one of the best already, so I guess he is playing catch up just like his team.

Wait until they have to pay Russell Wilson and then see how much they struggle under the cap.

Does it really matter than Allen is loaded? There's still a salary cap.

Yeah, it makes a HUGE difference when your QB is getting 20 mil instead of 1M.

So I understand. Instead of looking at the success already had your rebuttal is to hope someone else's plan works

Again look at our success and show me who has done it different and more successful since 2008.

As for Paul Allen being richer than Bisc. That's awesome. Guess what tho, Salary cap evens out roster payments.

Your original post lacked substance and each additional posts gets worse. You started off with a faulty premise using Seattle as elite based on one year and to defend them you're projecting sustained success without anything to base it on except guy feeling

Edited by Tiz

Ultimately what you haven't done is proven that baltimore has a higher percentage of last year extensions than any one else

Why is Seattle signing those players early? It's to their advantage to take some bigger hits early while Wilson is on his rookie deal.

The ravens signing these guys early means they are taking a risk guaranteeing money before they need to. In which case the player needs to sign a team friendly deal because the team is in the drivers seat at that point. Hence there is a gap in negotiations there and with no urgency to get things done and a reluctance from both sides to move prematurely.

Maybe a player doesn't need an agent to negotiate their rookie deal but to say they shouldn't have one is laughable. Most players are going to get worked by these financial experts for the team. Plus your creating bad blood between the team and player. Not good for either side.

This is a business.

Ya...Ed Reed was very mature. Calling out Players and Coaches in front of the Media....

Why is Seattle signing those players early? It's to their advantage to take some bigger hits early while Wilson is on his rookie deal.

The ravens signing these guys early means they are taking a risk guaranteeing money before they need to. In which case the player needs to sign a team friendly deal because the team is in the drivers seat at that point. Hence there is a gap in negotiations there and with no urgency to get things done and a reluctance from both sides to move prematurely.

Maybe a player doesn't need an agent to negotiate their rookie deal but to say they shouldn't have one is laughable. Most players are going to get worked by these financial experts for the team. Plus your creating bad blood between the team and player. Not good for either side.

This is a business.

Yes its to their advantage to stagger the cap hits

And when you have a cap floor it also encourages you to get some of those deals done

You cant start negotiating until a certain point during a players contract.

Also you have the cap to keep in mind not only for this but for every season after.

Players have to agree to the contract.

Ravens wanted to sign flacco before the SB season but he declined and banked on himself and thus cashed in.

Find it hard to believe you follow the ravens and then make such a ridiculous claim that ozzie doesent want to extend players early.

Flacco is the prime example of ozzie trying to get it done......

While I certainly understand your sentiment Ausman, it simply doesn't just happen as others have said. I would like to point out to you that after the free agency period this offseason Ozzie and Steve picked up the 5th year option for Jimmy's contract so he is already under contract for next season. That leaves IMO two guys we have to get resigned before free agency next year: Torrey Smith and Justin Tucker so not really the dire situation you are making it out to be. Both of those guys want to stay Ravens so once both sides really sit down I don't think it will be a problem getting them resigned. But both of those guys are wholy focused on their jobs right now instead of parlaying with their agents and I personally wouldn't have it any other way. They know the organization will take care of them when the time is right.