Ravens at Bengals      Pro Bowl Voting      #RavensPumpkin      Game Rewind   

Photo

AFC North ranked most unpredictable race, Ravens emerge on top.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 lgcs27288

lgcs27288

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

A good read with the columnist going over the best case scenario, worst case scenario, and predictions for each team.

If nothing else it's pretty funny to see the Steelers fan base crying in the comments because they are last.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._writers_schein

"Think like a man of action and act like a man of thought" - Henri Louis Bergson

What would 52 do?

#2 Static

Static

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

I can't wait until the steelers disappoint everybody. The browns roster looks better.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan. 

#TeamBrooks!!

#3 Cillmatic

Cillmatic

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

The team I'm most afraid of is Cleveland. They're gonna have a top 5 secondary(therefore an almost top 5 defense), a top 5 O-line, And when Gordon comes back they'll have a good offense.

#4 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Interesting read. I like some of Adam Schein's article. Only time will tell though. Oh btw, nice to see somebody giving us some love.

#5 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

That's pretty much the story of the AFCN. 

Browns: Great defense but questions at QB

Bengals: Most talented team, decent QB

Steelers: Good, but they'll be great because they're the Steelers.

Ravens: Ok defense, meh QB, bad offense - somehow have the most wins over recent timeline

I'm not gonna complain, I'm just wondering what people see in us if they think none of our players are particularly good.

#6 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Someone said in the NFL this year, half the teams will go 8-8 and the other half will be 9-7 or 7-9. That's how I see the AFCN. Each of these teams has a strong defense.

Edited by Bruce_Almty, 29 July 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#7 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

The team I'm most afraid of is Cleveland. They're gonna have a top 5 secondary(therefore an almost top 5 defense), a top 5 O-line, And when Gordon comes back they'll have a good offense.

Gordon is suspended full season. After that he has another arrest & dui to deal with

#8 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Pitts-burgh will always be Pitts-burgh.  They will ALWAYS play their butts off. That game will NEVER be a cake walk for us.

Two years ago I said Cincy is going to be a thorn in our side for some time to come.

I dont see that thorn being removed any time soon.

Cleveland plays tough no question.  They just need a bit more to put them on par with the rest of AFCN.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#9 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Pretty interesting article, i pretty much agree with most of what he said. I already made my AFC North prediction though

mine:

1 - Cincy - tons of talent on both sides of the ball, biggest question marks to me would be the two safeties. i can see anywhere from 11-13 wins, I predicted just 11

2 - Ravens - again tons of talent on both sides of the ball. The amount of question marks gives me worry a bit. The improvements to the Oline and Receiving Corps should give Flacco his best year as a Raven. The only worry really is how the offense will jell with Kubiak's system, we won't truly know until we see the unit in action. I'm not particularly worried about Defense to be honest, i think we can replace lost options fairly easily, Safety positions should be much improved with Elam in his natural position. I'm thinking 10 or 11 wins

3 - Pittsburgh - I have no confidence in their Secondary at all, Mitchell is borderline serviceable and Polomalu is old and often injured, also, ive got no faith in Gay or Taylor at all, Gay just plain isnt good and Taylor is 34. Their oline is still a question even with injured players coming back, itll be improved but still mediocre. Big Ben isnt the same guy he was a few years back, years of producing miracles have taken a toll on him. It seems he is always injured (and trying to play through it). he can't escape like he used to and thats what made him good, his ability to make something out of nothing is nearly gone. i think 7 or 8 wins

4 - Browns - plain and simple: no QB, 1 good WR, 1 decent RB. Their Defense is the real deal. Haden is one of the best CB in the league and Gilbert has potential (i don't like him honestly but ill give him a fair chance). I think they took a step back releasing Jackson for Dansby really but its not a big step back, Dansby is still a good ILB. I am not a fan of Manziel at all, i don't think he'll be good but even if he were he and Hoyer can't work with what theyve got anyway. Gordon's suspension makes all the difference in the world, with him they would have a chance to at least break even record wise. im thinking 4 or 5 wins

Edited by hn68wb4, 29 July 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#10 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

I think the Bengals have the talent but didn't they just lose both coordinators. That sounds kinda tough to me man....

#11 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Pretty interesting article, i pretty much agree with most of what he said. I already made my AFC North prediction though

mine:

1 - Cincy - tons of talent on both sides of the ball, biggest question marks to me would be the two safeties. i can see anywhere from 11-13 wins, I predicted just 11

2 - Ravens - again tons of talent on both sides of the ball. The amount of question marks gives me worry a bit. The improvements to the Oline and Receiving Corps should give Flacco his best year as a Raven. The only worry really is how the offense will jell with Kubiak's system, we won't truly know until we see the unit in action. I'm not particularly worried about Defense to be honest, i think we can replace lost options fairly easily, Safety positions should be much improved with Elam in his natural position. I'm thinking 10 or 11 wins

3 - Pittsburgh - I have no confidence in their Secondary at all, Mitchell is borderline serviceable and Polomalu is old and often injured, also, ive got no faith in Gay or Taylor at all, Gay just plain isnt good and Taylor is 34. Their oline is still a question even with injured players coming back, itll be improved but still mediocre. Big Ben isnt the same guy he was a few years back, years of producing miracles have taken a toll on him. It seems he is always injured (and trying to play through it). he can't escape like he used to and thats what made him good, his ability to make something out of nothing is nearly gone. i think 7 or 8 wins

4 - Browns - plain and simple: no QB, 1 good WR, 1 decent RB. Their Defense is the real deal. Haden is one of the best CB in the league and Gilbert has potential (i don't like him honestly but ill give him a fair chance). I think they took a step back releasing Jackson for Dansby really but its not a big step back, Dansby is still a good ILB. I am not a fan of Manziel at all, i don't think he'll be good but even if he were he and Hoyer can't work with what theyve got anyway. Gordon's suspension makes all the difference in the world, with him they would have a chance to at least break even record wise. im thinking 4 or 5 wins

For some reason, I feel like the Steelers are more than 7 or 8 wins. I still think Big Ben can produce if protected (well all QBs need protection, who are we kidding). I agree with us though. I just want to scream 10-6, but I just want to make the playoffs since most of my friends (and my dad for the most part who's a 9ers fan) almost always doubt the Ravens.

#12 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

I think the Bengals have the talent but didn't they just lose both coordinators. That sounds kinda tough to me man....

I don't know much about Hue Jackson outside of his time with the Raiders, but I've heard that he's a good OC. 

#13 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,226 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Poor Bengals having Dalton as their QB.
Posted Image

#14 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

I don't know much about Hue Jackson outside of his time with the Raiders, but I've heard that he's a good OC.

Hue Jackson is great. 2009 is still our best statistical offense in the Flacco era.

#15 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

I think the NFC East is more of a crap shoot.

#16 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I think we win 11.

I haven't decided yet if Cincy also wins 11, or wins 10. I am leaning towards 10 since their schedule is (should be) a bit tougher.

PIT wins 8 again.

CLE snatches 5.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#17 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I think the NFC East is more of a crap shoot.

Every year there's a different winner in that division. Cowboys are due...... For me it's the NFC west. The only thing that would surprise me is if Seattle finishes last in that division...

I think the Steelers surprise some people this year. The bengals & them battle it out for 2nd place and wild card. Cleveland sits at the bottom for another year. Ravens win it with 11-5.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#18 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

For some reason, I feel like the Steelers are more than 7 or 8 wins. I still think Big Ben can produce if protected (well all QBs need protection, who are we kidding). I agree with us though. I just want to scream 10-6, but I just want to make the playoffs since most of my friends (and my dad for the most part who's a 9ers fan) almost always doubt the Ravens.

im more worried about their defense than their offense really, but i don't think Big Ben can save this team either, he can't be relied upon to stay healthy after all he's had to do over the years. That secondary is what really gets me. Polamalu is old and just can't shake the injuries. Mitchell isnt an upgrade over Clark and just a couple days ago was put on their PUP list. Gay was never more than an average CB + he's 29 (will turn 30 during the season) and Ike Taylor is 34 now. That secondary is in heaps of trouble

#19 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

I am pretty torn on what happens in the AFC North honestly so I won't do any rankings here but I will give my thoughts on each team.

Ravens - I like what Kubiak is doing and I think the offense will be better. Defense should be good although I am concerned a bit with secondary. The big question for me is how long it takes for us to get the system down and for the chemistry to arrive. With that said, I think we get back to the playoffs.

Steelers - They have brought in Munchak to help their O-line(similar to us with Kubiak) and they have a solid group over there. They should be a smash mouth team with Bell and Blount and their offense looks good. My concern with them is also the secondary, specifically at CB. They are pretty similar to us in all honesty.

Bengals - They have spectacular talent but my question is the coordinators. My second biggest question is Dalton, probably the most inconsistent QB in the league who looks spectacular one week and atrocious the next. With that all said, they have super bowl level talent on both sides of the ball.

Browns - This is the boom or bust team right here. Losing Gordon for the season takes their sails out a bit but they still have a good O-line, Cameron at TE, and a very solid defense. It all really hinges on QB and WR for them. Hawkins is decent as is Austin and Burleson but there is not much else with that and it is an unspectacular group to be kind. Then there is the QB debate of Hoyer and Manziel. Can either win the job and more importantly do well or will this just be another typical Browns season with lackluster QB play?

Overall the teams are close, I don't see many games separating the winner from the last place team here so it should be entertaining to watch it all unfold in the regular season. Hopefully the Ravens can do it

In Ozzie We Trust

#20 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

I don't know why everyone keeps saying the bengals are the most talented team in the division.Were better than them at every position outside of the wide receiver and safety positions.We have the better quarterback,better running backs,better tight ends,better linebacker corp and better cornerbacks.Our O-lines and D-lines are a wash IMO.We also have the better return man and the best kicker in the league.I forgot to add special teams in there.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 30 July 2014 - 08:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users