86 replies to this topic

#1 RavensFan34950

RavensFan34950

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

This is my first time starting a topic on here so please bear with me as it may not be the greatest.

But anyway I was talking to a friend of mine who is a 49ers fan and we were talking about who has the best rivalry in the NFL. Of course he picks 49ers and Seahawks, and I was trying to find a legit reason why I should say Ravens Steelers but I couldn't. It had me wondering if our Rivalry has diminished a little bit. Lets take a look back at the rivalry from 2008-2011. There was no question that these teams hated each other. I never hated a team in my life more than I hated the Steelers. But over time I started to hate the Steelers less and less to the point where now I respect them more then any other franchise outside of the Ravens.  Am I the only Ravens fan who feels this way? Don't get me wrong I still dislike them with a passion, but not like I did from 2008-2011.

My question is who has the best rivalry in the sport today? And if Ravens Steelers has diminished to you, why has it?

HalotiNgatacopy.jpg

#2 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

No way the Steelers vs Ravens IS the best rivalry/game in sports today. No question, the best.

#3 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

9ers/Seahawks no doubt right now.

The Ravens/Steelers rivalry has most certainly dropped a few levels in recent years. With last year being crap for both teams and then the Steelers not being relevant in 2012 and losing in the WC in 2011, its just not there like it has been.
Posted Image

#4 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

This is my first time starting a topic on here so please bear with me as it may not be the greatest.

But anyway I was talking to a friend of mine who is a 49ers fan and we were talking about who has the best rivalry in the NFL. Of course he picks 49ers and Seahawks, and I was trying to find a legit reason why I should say Ravens Steelers but I couldn't. It had me wondering if our Rivalry has diminished a little bit. Lets take a look back at the rivalry from 2008-2011. There was no question that these teams hated each other. I never hated a team in my life more than I hated the Steelers. But over time I started to hate the Steelers less and less to the point where now I respect them more then any other franchise outside of the Ravens.  Am I the only Ravens fan who feels this way? Don't get me wrong I still dislike them with a passion, but not like I did from 2008-2011.

My question is who has the best rivalry in the sport today? And if Ravens Steelers has diminished to you, why has it?

Leaving aside the hitting and physical nature of these games, find another rivalry where the final score is consistently within 3-4 points and won/lost on last minute drives and I'll consider it. 

Edited by BALTIMOREFLACCO, 29 July 2014 - 11:59 AM.

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#5 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

9ers/Seahawks no doubt right now.

The Ravens/Steelers rivalry has most certainly dropped a few levels in recent years. With last year being crap for both teams and then the Steelers not being relevant in 2012 and losing in the WC in 2011, its just not there like it has been.

Darn, I forgot about that game. Good point

#6 RavensFan34950

RavensFan34950

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Leaving aside the hitting and physical nature of these games, find another rivalry where the final score is consistently within 3-4 points and won/lost on last minute drives and I'll consider it. 

Plus Seahawks have kind of owned the 49ers the last 2 years. But still. Steelers have been only average the last 2 seasons. They haven't been doing there part either.

HalotiNgatacopy.jpg

#7 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I think the Ravens/Steelers is best in sports. I think 49ers/Seahawks has potential however but they need more time.

Ravens/Steelers just from 08-12 was the premier matchup. 49ers/Seahawks is really only on year 2.

#8 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I think the Ravens/Steelers is best in sports. I think 49ers/Seahawks has potential however but they need more time.

Ravens/Steelers just from 08-12 was the premier matchup. 49ers/Seahawks is really only on year 2.

I can agree with this, but this is a "now and recent" world we live in. 2 or 3 years removed from any relevant Ravens/Steelers games will make people forget.

Edited by 1/28/01, 29 July 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

I'd guess the Seahawks/sf one as of today because neither Pitt nor Baltimore made playoffs.
But let's be real that rivalry is two years old while Pitt/Baltimore is not only closely contested we've had a few battles in the playoffs too so that rivalry is just a sample of what's going in here in the afcn

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

As both teams have started to lose players who helped build that intensity its lost a little bit of luster. However, I was at the Sunday Nighter 2 years ago in Pittsburgh and it was absolutely electric. Definitely a top 2 rivalry. 

#11 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,817 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I won't consider SEA/SF a true rivalry until they can start winning in each others stadiums. 49ers win in San Fran, Seattle always wins in Seattle. With the Ravens/Steelers, one of the things that make it a true, but also the best rivalry in the NFL is both teams can win no matter the stadium. They have come to Baltimore and beat us, we have gone to Pittsburgh and beat them. 

Also has some have said, it would be hard to find a rivalry where every game is decided by less than a touchdown, and sometimes even less than a Field Goal. 

#12 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

People just like Seahawks-49ers cuz it's the hot matchup right now and they're two of the best teams ATM. Ravens-Steelers has more history and IMO is the better real rivalry. Our games are some of the closest hardest hitting ones I've seen and when we play each other anyone can win, no matter the record of either team or stadium it is played in. You can see the hatred for the opponent through their play. We are similar teams in the nastiness and tradition of our defense and power football. If definitely think it's the best rivalry in football.

#13 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

I would say the Ravens-Steelers is the toughest rivalry in all of sports. As for the best that's a lot harder to judge. Some would pick the hottest(SEA-SF) the most storied(WAS-DAL) or the toughest.

#14 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

The Ravens and Steelers games are rarely decided by more than four points, you genuinely have no idea who's going to win before the game, and as much hatred/dislike/whatever there is between the two franchises and fans, there's also respect - which I think is a really underrated part of it that adds to the rivalry and reflects well on both sides.

Going back to the Hawks/9ers, wake me up when either side can win away from home. Otherwise to me it's just like State of Origin in Australia: 90% media hype and 10% actual rivalry.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

People just like Seahawks-49ers cuz it's the hot matchup right now and they're two of the best teams ATM. Ravens-Steelers has more history and IMO is the better real rivalry. Our games are some of the closest hardest hitting ones I've seen and when we play each other anyone can win, no matter the record of either team or stadium it is played in. You can see the hatred for the opponent through their play. We are similar teams in the nastiness and tradition of our defense and power football. If definitely think it's the best rivalry in football.

Well, yeah, isn't that part of what constitutes a rivalry?

Right now, I think it's Seattle-San Fran. 

Ravens-Steelers lost its luster. Right now, Ravens-Bengals is a fiercer rivalry than Ravens-Steelers, as odd as that sounds. 

#16 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I say no matter what players are on the field, bal-pit games are always close and almost always meaningful. No matter the teams' records, this rivalry is must see, and I think we dislike each other just as much as we did 3 or 4 years ago. It is still very much alive.

#17 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

Well, yeah, isn't that part of what constitutes a rivalry?

Right now, I think it's Seattle-San Fran. 

Ravens-Steelers lost its luster. Right now, Ravens-Bengals is a fiercer rivalry than Ravens-Steelers, as odd as that sounds. 

Yeah it does, never said it didn't. When I say Ravens-Steelers is the best now I'm also talking about the history and tradition behind it. There's plenty of people who only care about the now, but I care about the past as well. I love the Seattle- SF rivalry too... I just think ours has more of a rivalry to it.

#18 lgcs27288

lgcs27288

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'd say right now its the Ravens vs Patriots because of the AFC championship match ups and regular season games we've had. Those games get tense.

In order to have a rivalry there is has to be some back and forth for at least some time. If the competition for the Seahawks and 49'ers remain at the level it is now, now question they will be. Let's not forget both of these teams were in the basement of the league not that long ago. 

"Think like a man of action and act like a man of thought" - Henri Louis Bergson

What would 52 do?

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Yeah it does, never said it didn't. When I say Ravens-Steelers is the best now I'm also talking about the history and tradition behind it. There's plenty of people who only care about the now, but I care about the past as well. I love the Seattle- SF rivalry too... I just think ours has more of a rivalry to it.

I see where you're coming from. We have more tradition in ours and there's more on the line from a pride perspective, but I do think there's is hotter right now. 

#20 lgcs27288

lgcs27288

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Besides when you beat a team that is supposed to be your "rival" by 26 points, that's not a very good rivalry. 

That's like saying the Jets and Patriots are big rivals.

"Think like a man of action and act like a man of thought" - Henri Louis Bergson

What would 52 do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users