RavensFan34950

Ravens Steelers Rivalry

88 posts in this topic

This is my first time starting a topic on here so please bear with me as it may not be the greatest.

But anyway I was talking to a friend of mine who is a 49ers fan and we were talking about who has the best rivalry in the NFL. Of course he picks 49ers and Seahawks, and I was trying to find a legit reason why I should say Ravens Steelers but I couldn't. It had me wondering if our Rivalry has diminished a little bit. Lets take a look back at the rivalry from 2008-2011. There was no question that these teams hated each other. I never hated a team in my life more than I hated the Steelers. But over time I started to hate the Steelers less and less to the point where now I respect them more then any other franchise outside of the Ravens.  Am I the only Ravens fan who feels this way? Don't get me wrong I still dislike them with a passion, but not like I did from 2008-2011.

My question is who has the best rivalry in the sport today? And if Ravens Steelers has diminished to you, why has it?

No way the Steelers vs Ravens IS the best rivalry/game in sports today. No question, the best.

9ers/Seahawks no doubt right now.

The Ravens/Steelers rivalry has most certainly dropped a few levels in recent years. With last year being crap for both teams and then the Steelers not being relevant in 2012 and losing in the WC in 2011, its just not there like it has been.

This is my first time starting a topic on here so please bear with me as it may not be the greatest.

But anyway I was talking to a friend of mine who is a 49ers fan and we were talking about who has the best rivalry in the NFL. Of course he picks 49ers and Seahawks, and I was trying to find a legit reason why I should say Ravens Steelers but I couldn't. It had me wondering if our Rivalry has diminished a little bit. Lets take a look back at the rivalry from 2008-2011. There was no question that these teams hated each other. I never hated a team in my life more than I hated the Steelers. But over time I started to hate the Steelers less and less to the point where now I respect them more then any other franchise outside of the Ravens.  Am I the only Ravens fan who feels this way? Don't get me wrong I still dislike them with a passion, but not like I did from 2008-2011.

My question is who has the best rivalry in the sport today? And if Ravens Steelers has diminished to you, why has it?

Leaving aside the hitting and physical nature of these games, find another rivalry where the final score is consistently within 3-4 points and won/lost on last minute drives and I'll consider it. 

Edited by BALTIMOREFLACCO

The Ravens/Steelers rivalry has most certainly dropped a few levels in recent years. With last year being crap for both teams and then the Steelers not being relevant in 2012 and losing in the WC in 2011, its just not there like it has been.

Darn, I forgot about that game. Good point

Leaving aside the hitting and physical nature of these games, find another rivalry where the final score is consistently within 3-4 points and won/lost on last minute drives and I'll consider it. 

Plus Seahawks have kind of owned the 49ers the last 2 years. But still. Steelers have been only average the last 2 seasons. They haven't been doing there part either.

I think the Ravens/Steelers is best in sports. I think 49ers/Seahawks has potential however but they need more time.

Ravens/Steelers just from 08-12 was the premier matchup. 49ers/Seahawks is really only on year 2.

I think the Ravens/Steelers is best in sports. I think 49ers/Seahawks has potential however but they need more time.

Ravens/Steelers just from 08-12 was the premier matchup. 49ers/Seahawks is really only on year 2.

I can agree with this, but this is a "now and recent" world we live in. 2 or 3 years removed from any relevant Ravens/Steelers games will make people forget. Edited by 1/28/01

I'd guess the Seahawks/sf one as of today because neither Pitt nor Baltimore made playoffs.

But let's be real that rivalry is two years old while Pitt/Baltimore is not only closely contested we've had a few battles in the playoffs too so that rivalry is just a sample of what's going in here in the afcn

As both teams have started to lose players who helped build that intensity its lost a little bit of luster. However, I was at the Sunday Nighter 2 years ago in Pittsburgh and it was absolutely electric. Definitely a top 2 rivalry. 

I won't consider SEA/SF a true rivalry until they can start winning in each others stadiums. 49ers win in San Fran, Seattle always wins in Seattle. With the Ravens/Steelers, one of the things that make it a true, but also the best rivalry in the NFL is both teams can win no matter the stadium. They have come to Baltimore and beat us, we have gone to Pittsburgh and beat them. 

Also has some have said, it would be hard to find a rivalry where every game is decided by less than a touchdown, and sometimes even less than a Field Goal. 

People just like Seahawks-49ers cuz it's the hot matchup right now and they're two of the best teams ATM. Ravens-Steelers has more history and IMO is the better real rivalry. Our games are some of the closest hardest hitting ones I've seen and when we play each other anyone can win, no matter the record of either team or stadium it is played in. You can see the hatred for the opponent through their play. We are similar teams in the nastiness and tradition of our defense and power football. If definitely think it's the best rivalry in football.

I would say the Ravens-Steelers is the toughest rivalry in all of sports. As for the best that's a lot harder to judge. Some would pick the hottest(SEA-SF) the most storied(WAS-DAL) or the toughest.

The Ravens and Steelers games are rarely decided by more than four points, you genuinely have no idea who's going to win before the game, and as much hatred/dislike/whatever there is between the two franchises and fans, there's also respect - which I think is a really underrated part of it that adds to the rivalry and reflects well on both sides.

Going back to the Hawks/9ers, wake me up when either side can win away from home. Otherwise to me it's just like State of Origin in Australia: 90% media hype and 10% actual rivalry.

People just like Seahawks-49ers cuz it's the hot matchup right now and they're two of the best teams ATM. Ravens-Steelers has more history and IMO is the better real rivalry. Our games are some of the closest hardest hitting ones I've seen and when we play each other anyone can win, no matter the record of either team or stadium it is played in. You can see the hatred for the opponent through their play. We are similar teams in the nastiness and tradition of our defense and power football. If definitely think it's the best rivalry in football.

Well, yeah, isn't that part of what constitutes a rivalry?

Right now, I think it's Seattle-San Fran. 

Ravens-Steelers lost its luster. Right now, Ravens-Bengals is a fiercer rivalry than Ravens-Steelers, as odd as that sounds. 

I say no matter what players are on the field, bal-pit games are always close and almost always meaningful. No matter the teams' records, this rivalry is must see, and I think we dislike each other just as much as we did 3 or 4 years ago. It is still very much alive.

Well, yeah, isn't that part of what constitutes a rivalry?

Right now, I think it's Seattle-San Fran. 

Ravens-Steelers lost its luster. Right now, Ravens-Bengals is a fiercer rivalry than Ravens-Steelers, as odd as that sounds. 

Yeah it does, never said it didn't. When I say Ravens-Steelers is the best now I'm also talking about the history and tradition behind it. There's plenty of people who only care about the now, but I care about the past as well. I love the Seattle- SF rivalry too... I just think ours has more of a rivalry to it.

I'd say right now its the Ravens vs Patriots because of the AFC championship match ups and regular season games we've had. Those games get tense.

In order to have a rivalry there is has to be some back and forth for at least some time. If the competition for the Seahawks and 49'ers remain at the level it is now, now question they will be. Let's not forget both of these teams were in the basement of the league not that long ago. 

Yeah it does, never said it didn't. When I say Ravens-Steelers is the best now I'm also talking about the history and tradition behind it. There's plenty of people who only care about the now, but I care about the past as well. I love the Seattle- SF rivalry too... I just think ours has more of a rivalry to it.

I see where you're coming from. We have more tradition in ours and there's more on the line from a pride perspective, but I do think there's is hotter right now. 

Besides when you beat a team that is supposed to be your "rival" by 26 points, that's not a very good rivalry. 

That's like saying the Jets and Patriots are big rivals.

Ravens Vs Steelers is the best in the league in terms of tradition and fire. But neither team made the playoffs last year.

49ners and Seahawks is the best current riviarly because their both young defensive teams gunning for a title. I don't really care for either team but I'm glad the media likes some defensive teams for once , especially in this offensive league.

Ravens / Steelers does not seem as bitter as it used to be.  Still raw hatred.  Pure unadulterated hatred.  Just not quite so bitter.

Pats is a part of the conversation too.  I see Cincy creeping into the conversation before too long.

Then there is the biggest FANS rivalry.  Every four years the mid Atlantic region erupts in trash talk for Ravens Redskins. Its not so much ON the field, but man this area comes alive when this game happens.

I wouldn't put 49ers and seahawks in the conversation. What a joke. 2 years? Bears packers is one by far. Ravens steelers has been a top rivalry for 15 years. You have packers cowboys and steelers cowboys as well. I'd equate this to the short lived patriots colts rivalry. Soon to be forgotten.

Just looking at this thread so I may be behind the curve here...........

Are we talking best played rivalry?  Or the best rivalry. If we lived on the left coast maybe niners/hawks would be in the discussion, but you would be hard pressed to find a better rivalry than Ravens/squealers.  No matter the talent on either team or the quality of play, the hitting and intensity are beyond comparison in the NFL.  and we don't like each other  

I always think that a rivalry game should mean something and the 49ers Seahawks games certainly have meant a lot. I think they are in the middle of a great rivalry right now. I also think the amount of hate between the teams should be a big part of it. Reading ESPN comments often enough the past couple years they HATE eachother. It isn't like us and the Steelers where we just go on about how much we respect them but hate them, it honestly reminds me of Ravens Steelers a couple years ago when things were really heated between us and we didn't even respect the Steelers. Now we are just reminiscing back on it all and we haven't done anything recently.

These past couple years I don't see our games having been that important. They have been close but this past year especially none of them made that much of a difference considering neither team made the playoffs. I don't know, to me since 2011 and us sweeping them the rivalry just hasn't been the same. I guess you can blame the Steelers not making much noise since losing to Tebow in the playoffs and the transition phase they have gone through and now we are going through. I think we see a reemergence of the rivalry once both teams get through the transition phases however. I don't know but the past 3 games I just don't see the fire that I see in 49ers Seahawks even if the games aren't quite as good. But even then, you can't complain about them battling in the NFC championship game and it coming down to a tipped pass, and then the rant. That's the type of stuff that you love to see in rivalries that has been missing from ours recently. 

Mike Tomlin's foot. That's all I have to say.

If you think the rivalry has died down - if you think he would have even thought or chanced that versus another team- think again.

There is a reason that neither of the Ravens/Steelers games are 1 pm match-ups. 

49ers/Seahawks  - sure they have the hate - but are the games like ours? 99% of them nail biters? No. 

I have not seen the extreme hatred for each other and for so long as I have with the Ravens/Steelers. There have been rivalries that have do not liked each other for a long time, but not with the intensity that the Ravens/Steelers have had. The Seahawks/49er could get there, but like others have mentioned it has only been for about two seasons. Our rivalry is still king.

Besides when you beat a team that is supposed to be your "rival" by 26 points, that's not a very good rivalry. 

That's like saying the Jets and Patriots are big rivals.

We beat the Steelers down in the 11 opener while the rivalry was still peaking.  Does that not count?

It seems there is some differing opinion on what constitutes a rivalry. For me, it doesn't matter if a game between rivals has any meaning. Heck, it could be between two teams that have no chance of making the playoffs and that's one of the things that makes for a true rivalry. No matter the importance of the game, the quality of players on either team, injuries, etc., the teams play at an intense level and the games are almost always close.    

Just looking at this thread so I may be behind the curve here...........

Are we talking best played rivalry? Or the best rivalry. If we lived on the left coast maybe niners/hawks would be in the discussion, but you would be hard pressed to find a better rivalry than Ravens/squealers. No matter the talent on either team or the quality of play, the hitting and intensity are beyond comparison in the NFL. and we don't like each other

Living on the left coast. Sf sea is a hot rivalry now and yes it's simply a 2 yr rivalry so it's in it's infant stages. The rivalry/ history between Jim harbaugh and pete Carroll also adds to the rivalry

Prior to this it looked like az and sf were starting a lil something. It was at a point that they were able to prevent each other from making the playoffs

Nfcw deserves respect and they physical style should draw afcn comparisons with sf/sea / az being the ravens/ steelers/ bengals. And rams playing catch up like Cleveland.

I will say this, steel sharpens steel and we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without those brutal Steelers games, but they wouldn't have won 5 years ago without us. The Steelers current sorry state is also a major reason why we fell off last season.

Plus Seahawks have kind of owned the 49ers the last 2 years. But still. Steelers have been only average the last 2 seasons. They haven't been doing there part either.

That didn't stop us from splitting with you guys…including the Charlie Batch win...

That didn't stop us from splitting with you guys…including the Charlie Batch win...

Yup but I think both teams need a young leader to kind of rekindle that rivalry if we want to get back to 08-12 levels

Ravens young leaders on the team aren't really trash talkers/attention grabbers like your Terrell Suggs/ray lewis were

I don't see Torrey Pierce Elam pitta really saying/doing much outside of their play to fuel the rivalry

I'm not remembering any such game. Lol

I don't know I look at 49ers Seahawks and I see what we used to be. Now it isn't clear what we are defining as the best rivalry, are we going right now or the past few years or all time because my answer is different for them all? If we are going off of this year, I go 49ers Seahawks since their games have meant more. If a rivalry game doesn't mean anything, not much point in playing it, I mean what is the difference between Titans and Jags vs. Seahawks 49ers if the games don't mean anything? Titans Jags games were both close and they split them. A trip helps for something but if I have the chance to see 2 8-8 teams duke it out as opposed to 2 teams fight for a trip to the super bowl and I know both games will be close, who wouldn't rather watch the game that matters more? Especially if there are quite a few key moments in that game as well like the Sherman tip and rant?

The Ravens Steelers games of the past always had huge playoff implications and that is what we now see from Seattle San Francisco. If I had to choose which one I would rather see right now homerism aside, I would go Seattle San Francisco. When everything else is close between the rivalries, the stage is the tiebreaker for me and I think they hate eachother just a bit more as well. If we go back further it obviously is Steelers and Ravens but it was a bit of a down year for both teams and Seattle San Francisco had 2 really tough games these past 2 times. 

I will say this, steel sharpens steel and we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without those brutal Steelers games, but they wouldn't have won 5 years ago without us. The Steelers current sorry state is also a major reason why we fell off last season.

So you are rooting for us to bounce back?  :banana1:

i thought before our rivalry with the steelers diminished, that the patriots and ravens was taking over as a better rivalry, but with ed and ray being gone, its no longer that same chess match that caused it to be such a great rivalry. 

the pats could consistently dominate a majority of the nfl, and if a lesser team were to upset them, dont worry, next time they see them it wont be the same result, not with the ravens though, joe flacco historically played great against them(most of the time) and our defense was the only one that tom brady just could not figure out consistently, it was on a play to play basis where he would win some and we would win some, he just never had dominant stretches against us, which didnt happen with any other team. 2 AFCCG in a row, a wild card match 2 years prior, one of the most intense playoff games in recent memory with the first AFCCG and the 2nd playoff blowout in the latter(the wild card blowout being the first) an insane overtime regular season comeback from the patriots in the 2011 regular season to beat us, a 4th quarter comeback in joes 2nd season cut short by a dropped clayton pass right in the numbers, the infamous manure game in 2012, and finally, where it all started, the 07 boller game where we came closer than any other team to stopping their undefeated regular season(and wouldve if not for the refs) 

the steelers rivalry had its time, but i will say that the patriots rivalry was greater when it was at its peak, the stakes were normally higher, and while the games may not have been as hard hitting, the last few minutes of the 4th quarters seemed so much more dramatic than the steelers games, not to mention the steelers have been pretty low on our radars recently, while we generally are battling the pats in hopes for either a playoff bye or a trip to the superbowl, depending on what time of year we play them

8-8 on both sides and the steelers should have been in the playoffs last year. Either of us could have made it to the playoffs the last week. I wouldn't call that "crap', just mediocre 

Yes, the Ravens steelers still is the best rivalry in football and has for around the last ten years. The games are always close, violent, old school, and entertaining to watch. Come back to me when both sides have as many playoffs games played and superbowls as the Ravens/Steelers have had since the start of the rivarly. 

I had to find a bright spot somewhere in the midst of two seasons of mediocrity! LOL

Yeah, I've said it before, the squealers could field 22 guys from the Iron City Brewery and still play us tough. It's just in the blood of both teams.

On another note from the closed thread, it was just a general statement........but if it fits that's not my fault.   :P

So you are rooting for us to bounce back? :banana1:

I know I am. I mean let's be honest....if the Steelers suck, then it takes a lot of satisfaction out of beating them; doesn't it feel the same for you?

Not just that, but we both think we run the show around here....and it just feels disgusting to me to have to fight Cincy for the division, not pit. I don't care what happened last year, I just feel like PIT is the only worthy opponent we have....Cincy is just some team who took advantage of a down year for our teams. That won't happen again, I hope.

I know I am. I mean let's be honest....if the Steelers suck, then it takes a lot of satisfaction out of beating them; doesn't it feel the same for you?

Not just that, but we both think we run the show around here....and it just feels disgusting to me to have to fight Cincy for the division, not pit. I don't care what happened last year, I just feel like PIT is the only worthy opponent we have....Cincy is just some team who took advantage of a down year for our teams. That won't happen again, I hope.

Granted, outside of QB, Cincy has a much more talented roster than Ravens or Steelers. But Flacco and Ben>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Andy Dalton

Haha, IDK man. I think I find just as much enjoyment in them sucking as I do when we beat them at their best.

Granted, outside of QB, Cincy has a much more talented roster than Ravens or Steelers. But Flacco and Ben>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Andy Dalton

I strongly disagree with that, at least in our case. I think they have a much better roster than you-know-who though.

I strongly disagree with that, at least in our case. I think they have a much better roster than you-know-who though.

Take one look at their full roster and you'll see that they have many of the top player in the league at both sides of the ball. Green, Burfict, Whitworth, etc. Then some great really young guys like Eifert, Gio Benard, Dennard, Hill etc. And Vincent Rey, wo is their 4th LB, would be a starter on 90% of other teams.

Edited by ravensnick

So you are rooting for us to bounce back?  :banana1:

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!

I love a good nail biting, edge of your seat, blood pressure raising, screaming at the TV football game.

When its the steelers, its even better.

Here is to two field goals in two over times !!

Rivalries don't seem as fierce as they were years ago. Opposing players these days spend too much time hugging it out b4 & after games. Players engages in jovial banter with rival fans as opposed to Richard Sherman going off on the opposition. We use to have a good rivalry with Pittsburgh but beating Cincinnati is more important now.