Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Things are Returning to Normal(and Thank God)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

Things are going back to normal... People doubting us AGAIN. That's good....

http://profootballta...ltimore-ravens/

Not the power rankings article but the comments section. The rest of the fans in the NFL are writing us off because most of em don't have brains and listen to the talking heads on espn

Now, we aren't the 7th best team in the league, but we aren't total crap either like these people are saying. But honestly, any normal year it would bother me. This year, I kindve enjoy everyone hating us again. Everyone writing us off in the past has lead to us having success. We play better when everyone doubts us. I like a Chip on the shoulder.

Ya know, I said I doubt our chances for a SB victory, but then I remembered one good thing about Steve smith. He doesn't take any kind of crap.... The offense won't be amazing, but now that we might have something to prove(in an over the top fashion to match Steve's personality), it might just be great. And I expect a lot of trash talk this season especially if we post a winning record.

So go ahead and doubt us ESPN lovers. You just put a chip on our shoulder by showing us how you'll view us throughout the season.

Also, this quote was gold "Amazing…from reading the comments, people STILL think Flacco is the highest paid QB. How does this continue to happen?"

PS: I know that this is probably given and kindve pointless / I shouldn't let the comments get to me, but last year I felt like we had nothing to prove. This year we might have a chip. We are capable of being "#7"(The article is trash as is a lot of stuff on PFT. I read it cause the comments humor me)
Banned

#2 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

In this day and age–and with a $120 million contract–it is unbelievable that Flacco or any QB would not get together with his receivers in the offseason. Without the coaches around, it’s the best way to build rapport between receivers and the QB, learn subtle nuances of each other, and begin learn the offense.

I wonder how long it'll take for that guy to start posting here on RT.

#3 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

It always seems like there are a lot of Steelers and 9ers fans on PFT though. Not surprised by the general anti-Ravens sentiment.

#4 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

It always seems like there are a lot of Steelers and 9ers fans on PFT though. Not surprised by the general anti-Ravens sentiment.

PFT panders to the fanbases of the "glamour" teams even more than ESPN does.

#5 pmr468

pmr468

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:39 AM

I unfortunately find the majority of football fans (especially ones who comment on PFT and the NFL/ESPN facebook pages) to have the intelligence of a rock

Edited by pmr468, 20 July 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#6 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

Some highlights from Florio's article:

And while the tight end room now boasts Dennis Pitta and Owen Daniels, the Ravens claim they coveted rookie Eric Ebron.  If they wanted Ebron, how good do they really feel about the guys they have?

It's called drafting for the future, Michael. Daniels is on the wrong side of 30 and Pitta is about to be. That's why they grabbed Gillmore when Ebron was taken. (and I don't buy they were that high on Ebron who seems like Dickson v2.0--bet it was all a smokescreen)

Safety Matt Elam made a big impact as a rookie

Except that he really didn't. But then he was playing out of position as a free safety when he's more suited to be a strong safety.

A huge hole currently exists at right tackle with the decision not to bring back Michael Oher, and Gino Gradkowski couldn’t fully fill the shows of the retired Matt Birk.

Nice typo there, Mikey. *snicker*

Gradkowski has been replaced by Zuttah, he's not even a starter anymore. He's not even assured of a spot on the team.

And Oher was awful as the season progressed (more like regressed). Wagner can't be any worse.

The offense got better with the arrival of Steve Smith and Owen Daniels, and it got worse with the departures of tight end Ed Dickson, fullback Vonta Leach, and Oher.

You mean Ed "drop one, catch none" Dickson? And Vonta "only used on 15% of the snaps" Leach? And Michael "penalty once again on" Oher? Did you actually watch the Ravens last year, Florio? At all?

Let's review:

Pitta + Daniels + Gillmore >>> Clark + Dickson + Bajema

Wagner => Oher

Juszczyk => 15% Leach (???) yeah this one is still unkown at this point

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, of course, he has to dredge up for the umpteenth time how Flacco didn't get together with the receivers before OTA's to toss the ball around even though Kubiak didn't have the playbook ready in time and everyone had prior committments, etc. (thanks alot for that Vinny)

But maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on Florio and his article.

After all, despite these questionable (or wrong) points, he does conclude with this:

At a time when the best teams in the NFC have the physicality to routinely pilfer the juice-box money of the best that the AFC has to offer, the Ravens are one of the few teams that can match the muscle of the likes of the 49ers and Seahawks.  But before the Ravens can face the NFC champion, they need to climb the playoff tree.  Before they can do that, they need to qualify for a seat at the postseason table. They definitely can get there.  And their placement at No. 7 as the season arrives means that we think they will.

Edited by PerpetuallyBored74, 20 July 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#7 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

This is why I hate most articles, why do the opinions of these people matter? nobody knows how the season will pan out,

#8 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

Some highlights from Florio's article:

You mean Ed "drop one, catch none" Dickson? And Vonta "only used on 15% of the snaps" Leach? And Michael "penalty once again on" Oher? Did you actually watch the Ravens last year, Florio? At all?

Let's review:

Pitta + Daniels + Gillmore >>> Clark + Dickson + Bajema

Wagner => Oher

Juszczyk => 15% Leach (???) yeah this one is still unkown at this point

I laughed so hard at this one. How does the offense get better by adding a former Pro Bowl TE, who although he may be past his prime, has thrived in this very offense for years, but in the same breathe we get worse by losing a backup TE who wasn't good at blocking or catching? Either Daniels is a upgrade or Dickson or he's not. The only thing we lose with Dickson is youth. Even as I type right now i'm still trying to figure out how does a team get better and worse at the same position at the same time? We got better and worse at the TE position so where do we stand? lol

Also in a league that rarely uses a traditional FB anyway, we got worse because we got rid of a guy we didn't use any way. It's not like we lost him and he was quickly signed by someone else showing his value.

Articles like this and so many others just confirms my thinking that these guys really don't know much about football or the teams they write about. They look at stats and results, then base their opinion off of it. No common sense goes into the thought process at all and when I see as many typos and just flat out wrong information that guys are able to print, it further lets me know that these guys aren't held account for the things they right or say. So why take them serious at all.

mj5v69.jpg

#9 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Articles like this and so many others just confirms my thinking that these guys really don't know much about football or the teams they write about. They look at stats and results, then base their opinion off of it. No common sense goes into the thought process at all and when I see as many typos and just flat out wrong information that guys are able to print, it further lets me know that these guys aren't held account for the things they right or say. So why take them serious at all.

I think this kind of thing happens for most of the 32 teams. A friend of mine's a Bucs fan and one of his pet hates is the mainstream media giving the side limited airtime and THEN getting everything wrong when they do talk about them.

Ah well, if you're not the Broncos/Patriots/9ers/Cowboys/Steelers then what can you hope for.

#10 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

This is a very generous ranking for a media outlet (I would have us similarly placed though), although the article still bugs me.

First is my complaint, that always seems to be relevant, about people making things up that Flacco isn't good at. Now it's motivation and leadership? Come on.

The second is claiming that because we liked Ebron and Mosley, we must've been weak in both areas. What the hell are we supposed to do? Skip the draft? More BS conjecture that could be said about any team.

A very condescending article but a positive outlook overall.

Edited by hawkprey, 20 July 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#11 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

I think this kind of thing happens for most of the 32 teams. A friend of mine's a Bucs fan and one of his pet hates is the mainstream media giving the side limited airtime and THEN getting everything wrong when they do talk about them.

Ah well, if you're not the Broncos/Patriots/9ers/Cowboys/Steelers then what can you hope for.

you are so right. I just expect more from so called "experts". An expert should be able to educate even the person with the least amount of knowledge about the "game" regardless of what team is highlighted. Instead it just seems that there is one common thought and everyone else recycles it.

Case and Point. When Kubes was first hired and questions about would this be a good fit for Flacco because it takes an athletic QB to run the offense. I can't count how many so called experts jumped on that "Flacco is a statue" train. When in reality Flacco is very athletic and better then Schaub in that department. But instead of actually doing research, which any 9 year old kid with a smart phone could do nowadays, and seeing that Flacco's numbers from combine are near identical to Andrew Luck's whom most would say is very athletic, they just decided to peddle the same nonsense. Joe's overall 40 time and 20yd split aren't close, but he and Luck's 10yd splits are identical at 1.62. Their 20yd shuttle's are close. Flacco: 4.27 Luck: 4.28. There 3 cone drills are close Flacco: 6.82 Luck: 6.80. The 3 cone drill and 20yd shuttle directly relates to a players athleticism moreso then a 40 time because in the NFL rarely do you ever run in a straight line. You can look at other "athletic QB" numbers and compare them to Flacco's. Nobody would dare say Joe Flacco is as athletic as Aaron Rodgers but again, look at the numbers.

Combine Results

Name:        40 time  10yd    20yd   Broad   Vertical  20yd shuttle 3cone drill

Flacco          4.84      1.62    2.79    110in     28.5in        2.74           6.82  

Rodgers:      4.71      1.65    2.75    110in     34.5in        N/A            7.39

Now do those numbers tell the entire story of how athletic a player is? No, but it definitely makes for a conversation instead of just automatically thinking Flacco isn't athletic enough to run a certain system just because our pervious OC didn't have the smart to get Flacco out on the move often. But I guess i'm expecting far too much from my so called football experts to bring up things like this.

mj5v69.jpg

#12 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

He would fit right in with a lot of people lol

In Ozzie We Trust

#13 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

HA! They probably already do - and I have some ideas who they might be. Nice anonymous internet. :)

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#14 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Things are going back to normal... People doubting us AGAIN. That's good....

http://profootballta...ltimore-ravens/

Not the power rankings article but the comments section. The rest of the fans in the NFL are writing us off because most of em don't have brains and listen to the talking heads on espn

Now, we aren't the 7th best team in the league, but we aren't total crap either like these people are saying. But honestly, any normal year it would bother me. This year, I kindve enjoy everyone hating us again. Everyone writing us off in the past has lead to us having success. We play better when everyone doubts us. I like a Chip on the shoulder.

Ya know, I said I doubt our chances for a SB victory, but then I remembered one good thing about Steve smith. He doesn't take any kind of crap.... The offense won't be amazing, but now that we might have something to prove(in an over the top fashion to match Steve's personality), it might just be great. And I expect a lot of trash talk this season especially if we post a winning record.

So go ahead and doubt us ESPN lovers. You just put a chip on our shoulder by showing us how you'll view us throughout the season.

Also, this quote was gold "Amazing…from reading the comments, people STILL think Flacco is the highest paid QB. How does this continue to happen?"

PS: I know that this is probably given and kindve pointless / I shouldn't let the comments get to me, but last year I felt like we had nothing to prove. This year we might have a chip. We are capable of being "#7"(The article is trash as is a lot of stuff on PFT. I read it cause the comments humor me)

The funny thing is I was debating if I was gonna post a topic or just a status. I ended up posting the status lol so thanks for doing the topic!

#15 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

One of my friends (who's ALSO a Bucs fan) said the same thing about them. I can't stand the mainstream media but oh well....

#16 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Comment on the commenters on PFT article, in my years of being around message boards have found Steeler, Cowboy, Redskin and Patriot fans EVERYWHERE, splattered around like seagull droppings, but Ravens fans tend to find a board or two and stay there no matter what. You will see fans that break that mold, but not many.

Barring catastrophic injuries to Joe or the Oline being a sieve/ turnstile again #7 is a good place for the disrespect/ chip on the shoulder to kick in and the Ravens to fly under the radar.

Please no.

If y'all go trolling make sure they don't follow you home please and Thankyou !
68f2a8.jpg

#17 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

Please no.

If y'all go trolling make sure they don't follow you home please and Thankyou !

Rest assured, I'm happy to let those sleeping dogs do their thing. ;) There's more than enough hate for Flacco around here as it is.

#18 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Stumbled across a comment left on PFT that possibly revealed why Florio may have an axe to grind against the Ravens and Flacco in particular:

I come here because I want to read news and rumors, and Florio’s obvious disdain for the Seahawks just comes across as amateurish and unprofessional. You’re supposed to be “bigtime” now Florio, act like it and stop writing like the Steelers blogger you used to be.

Upon reading that, I did a quick check on Google and found this from the NY Times:

Florio, 44, an erstwhile Vikings fan living in Steelers country, began his blog in 2001

So, it seems Florio may be somewhat of a Steeler fan having lived in the area, perhaps a bandwagoner since the Vikings never win. Like the Steelers are his second favorite team now or something.

Also watching Flacco lead the Ravens to their 2nd SB championship in team history must sting for a Vikings fan whose team has lost all 4 of their SB appearances. Maybe he hates that "Average Joe" did what neither "elite" QBs like Tarkenton or Favre could. Granted, this is mostly speculation, but it is plausible.

#19 Cillmatic

Cillmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

This thread is an example of why I love this forum so much, I haven't seen one misinformed or inaccurate post on this thread yet. I love how we've pretty much TORN APART that bogus "news" article. Only proves that mainstream sports news outlets rarely do actual research and don't know more than the fans.

#20 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

This guy brought out a lot of good points for us.

hakunamangata says:Jul 19, 2014 9:46 PM

Ok let’s imagine your team lost it’s two starting receivers who can move the chains underneath and attack the middle of the field, leaving you with only a deep threat and intermediate receiver. Then let’s say you lose one of these deep threats and rely on two undrafted free agent receivers along with a player cut to start the year.

Now let’s also say your two top running backs are hurt leaving you with no ground game, along with losing your starting guards to injury, forcing you to constantly reshuffle your offensive line and start PFF’s lowest ranked LG, and center.

Add in the fact that you have an entirly different defensive unit with only four starters returning the year prior, and the lowest ranked free safety starting and manning the calls in the defensive backfield.

Even with all of that let’s say your quarterback helps lead you to an 8-6 record before injuring his knee effectively ending his season while being one quarter away in a tie game from leading them to the playoffs on the road.

Still think this team is average?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users