23 replies to this topic

#1 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I am READY for the season to start! However, I've been doing a lot of thinking on how are we gonna do after 16 games? After looking at the schedule, I could see us winning anywhere from 8 to 11 games. While many consider the AFC North (still the best division in the AFC IMO) up for grabs, I'm not so sure if we can win the division, but it's definitely possible.

While the Bengals lost both offensive and defensive coordinators, they still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. After all, they ranked 10th in total offense and 3rd in total defense From what I've heard, it looks like Hue Jackson wants to run the ball more. While I have ZERO faith in AJ McC..... uh I mean Andy Dalton winning a playoff game, I could see them winning 12 games (and possibly the division) given their pattern of the number of games they won from the past few years (9 in 2011, 10 in 2012 and 11 last year).

I remembered quietly celebrating when the Steelers started 0-4 last year, not so much when the season ended. I've always thought that after the Big Four (Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees), Big Ben is number 5 in the game right now. Don't know much about their receiver corps outside of Antonio Brown, so I can't really comment on this. That being said, watch some rookie receiver gives us fits when we play Pittsburgh. With the hiring of Mike Munchak, it seems that they want to go back to running the ball like we do. And just like us, they're trying to get younger and faster on defense. Weren't people raving about the first round pick of theirs, Ryan Shazier? According to NFL.com, he's being compared to a younger Troy (here's the link http://www.nfl.com/n...r-troy-polamalu.)We'll find out soon enough. All in all, I could see them winning 10 or 11 games too.

Let me be clear: I would LOVE to win the division and maybe pull an upset or two in the playoffs just to disappoint a lot of these analysts who want to see Peyton vs. Brady yet again (well who wouldn't). But like I said, I'm not feeling too confident and training camp hasn't even started yet. Perhaps I might be too fair against these beloved divisional foes. So much time between now and the start of the season but I can't wait. I sure hope so we don't have the same fate as the Arizona Cardinals from last year. 

Agree or disagree? Think we'll win the division, wild card, or miss the playoffs for the second time in a row. I would really like to hear what you guys think. Oh yeah, one more thing..............................GO RAVENS!!!!!!!

Edited by DomMcRaven, 16 July 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

I have faith that our O line will be better, how much better? I'm really not sure, but I think our O lines progress will be a big factor in your questions. I really hope our FO is not blowing smoke about Wagner having good potential to play RT because they didn't draft a top RT. I think Kubiak is a plus, but time will tell how much of a plus. Our defense is young, athletic, and fast.... There will be some growing pains with the young guys, but I'm glad we got some vets like T sizzle, haloti, doom, daryl&jimmy smith, and webby! I have a strong feeling our defense will lights things up, create turnovers and score points! hopefully they do it quick, often and physically. Hopefully John and Oz is stirring the magic potion to make this vet/ new talent gel quick. Hope we come out the gates Fierce and Firing... 3-0 baby! Go Ravens!

#3 Hjulmann

Hjulmann

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

I'm optimistic, Gary Kubiak is an interesting addition. Just no more arrests, please...

xojmt4.jpg
I miss our ballhawk

#4 QFFL

QFFL

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'm optimistic, Gary Kubiak is an interesting addition. Just no more arrests, please...

Yes, the off field issues are the last things the team need. With the rise of Bengals, the division is getting tougher. Glad that we still play Johnny Football twice. Cannot wait for the season to start!

#5 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I'm just as excited for the preseason as the regular season, so for me, it's about to start in less than a month. :) :) :)

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#6 juanman7

juanman7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'm just as excited for the preseason as the regular season, so for me, it's about to start in less than a month. :) :) :)

I agree! Even though it's preseason where guys apparently take it easy and games don't count, it'll show us some things about the team, hopefully not too much so that Kubiak's offense is a surprise for the Bengals on Day 1, but I like seeing all the UDFAs and potential breakthrough players shine! Plus, although I'm most excited for Ravens games, the Browns ones will be interesting seeing as though Manziel really needs to play well in order to win the starting job.

#7 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Your non-confidence can balance out with my supreme over-confidence.

I think we are the most improved non-terrible team this year.

#8 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

There are several "keys to success," (o-line, offense, defense, etc.) but I think they'll take care of themselves. The worrisome one to me is ... road wins. If we can go 5-3 or 4-4 on the road, we'll be in great shape to post 10 or 11 wins. Most talking-heads expect Cincy to win the division and many pick the Squeelers ahead of us, however, if we can take the show on the road, we'll be in great shape.

Go Ravens

Edited by Bruce_Almty, 16 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#9 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Is it tomorrow? cuz I can't wait for our stomping defense and whipping offense.......

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#10 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I am itching.  I think I am going to warm up by watching some of my NFL DVD's.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#11 Cillmatic

Cillmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

I'm hyped for the preseason. But if our run game doesn't get back on track I'll stop taking our season seriously by week 6, no playoff team can be successful without a run game. If the O-line is good the sky's the limit for the team.

#12 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'm ready for the season to start!  Got my tickets to game #2...Ravens vs. Steelers on Thursday Night.  Sitting at the 40 yard line behind the Ravens bench baby!  Yes Sirrrrr!  Let's get it!

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

#13 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Ooooooh nice job.
I am jealous.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#14 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'm thinking 2nd in the division behind the Bengals (i think we'll split the two games, we win one they win one) and we'll get knocked out of the second round of the playoffs. But obviously I'm pulling for the SB.

By the way, I do think that we have a legitimate case to win the SB, we have a lot of young talent and, like in 2012, our previous draft picks are really coming on to the scene and being serious contributors. Our defense is supremely talented and if Stewart or Brooks can step up at FS we will have a complete Defense that is also pretty darn deep. If we can avoid injuries and our transition to the Kubiak offense goes well then we could be a force to be reckoned with 

#15 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'm thinking 2nd in the division behind the Bengals (i think we'll split the two games, we win one they win one) and we'll get knocked out of the second round of the playoffs. But obviously I'm pulling for the SB.

By the way, I do think that we have a legitimate case to win the SB, we have a lot of young talent and, like in 2012, our previous draft picks are really coming on to the scene and being serious contributors. Our defense is supremely talented and if Stewart or Brooks can step up at FS we will have a complete Defense that is also pretty darn deep. If we can avoid injuries and our transition to the Kubiak offense goes well then we could be a force to be reckoned with 

That's definitely realistic. And we don't have to be considered Super Bowl contenders to win the chip. It's all about getting into the playoffs. While I despise the Steelers with every nerve in my body, I'm not counting them out either. You would think that they after going 8-8 twice, they would be able to something with a protected Big Ben as their QB.

#16 503_ravens_fan

503_ravens_fan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

The o-line and the offense as a whole should be way more exciting to watch this year. Steve Smith Sr is bringing back that nasty streak our offense sorely needed last year. If the oline plays the way i believe they can play, we could easily have a couple receivers near if not over 1000 yards.

I'm excited for our younger and faster defense to unleash hell. Mosley is sounding like a stud. Jimmy is finally stepping into the 1st round pick he should be. Webb is hungry to get back to is lock down form. The d-line should have a pretty good rotation going.

All and all I cant wait for the season to start. So many new things to be excited about. Not to mention Ravens at Steelers on my birthday. This season is going to be amazing.

#17 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

ryan shazier is being compared to a young troy? but he plays linebacker.. i mean yea troy was a box roamer and a blitzer but still, hes a safety. but anyways... 

you seem a little negative about our team and a little overconfident in others. the bengals have a loaded roster and a qb who simply doesnt have the physical tools or the mental capacity to take them anywhere past a playoff APPEARANCE, maybe 1 win against a weak wild card team. 

the steelers are scary honestly, they look a lot better than they did a year ago, they seem to finally have gotten their run game back to where it was in the early big ben days, the thought of leveon bell and legarrette blound along with a much improved OL makes my stomach turn knowing we will face them twice, with those games likely deciding the difference between playoffs or not, with the tough and clutch veteran presence of ben roethlisberger, it is a bit discomforting. 

after saying that, i do still believe we are the superior squad, with superior coaching, superior playmaking ability, superior versatility, superior leadership, everything except for being completely dominant in one aspect, i see a well rounded team, with battle tested veterans who can lead our young, reshaped roster in the right direction, i see a very clutch team who will perform at its best with their backs against the wall, the one thing i do not see is absolute dominance anywhere, there is potential with our secondary pieces, but the lack of depth is concerning, the DL is very unproven but the potential is through the roof, our pass rush has been insane at times, but majorly inconsistent, our ILB rotation for the future looks very promising but also unproven. 

on offense we have gary kubiak, and a much improved OL on paper, hopefully bernard pierce gets healthy because he is the prototype zone scheme, 1 cut, burst workhorse, ray rice needs a limited snap count and needs to stick to a niche as that 3DB and know his role, smitty needs to let his presence be known, torrey needs to continue his develop and be more consistent, jacoby and marlon need to keep doing what they do until we find a guy to step in steve smiths current spot for the future, pitta needs to return to 2013 playoffs form. 

our entire roster is a question mark honestly, but i see no reason to doubt it, there are plenty of unknowns, with a new system and a rebuilt team, players returning from injury, young players who have barely seen the field who are about to get extended play time, we havent seen much for us to feel assured of a great season, but we have seen NOTHING to make us feel like a bad season is coming, all the signs are unknown but very positive at the moment. 

i predict a tight 3 way division race for 3rd seed, with us coming out on top at either 12-4 or 13-3, with 2 AFCN wild card teams, pitt being the 5th seed. i think the steelers rivalry takes center stage once again over SF and SEA, and we split the series and see them again in the divisional round.

#18 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

ryan shazier is being compared to a young troy? but he plays linebacker.. i mean yea troy was a box roamer and a blitzer but still, hes a safety. but anyways... 

you seem a little negative about our team and a little overconfident in others. the bengals have a loaded roster and a qb who simply doesnt have the physical tools or the mental capacity to take them anywhere past a playoff APPEARANCE, maybe 1 win against a weak wild card team. 

the steelers are scary honestly, they look a lot better than they did a year ago, they seem to finally have gotten their run game back to where it was in the early big ben days, the thought of leveon bell and legarrette blound along with a much improved OL makes my stomach turn knowing we will face them twice, with those games likely deciding the difference between playoffs or not, with the tough and clutch veteran presence of ben roethlisberger, it is a bit discomforting. 

after saying that, i do still believe we are the superior squad, with superior coaching, superior playmaking ability, superior versatility, superior leadership, everything except for being completely dominant in one aspect, i see a well rounded team, with battle tested veterans who can lead our young, reshaped roster in the right direction, i see a very clutch team who will perform at its best with their backs against the wall, the one thing i do not see is absolute dominance anywhere, there is potential with our secondary pieces, but the lack of depth is concerning, the DL is very unproven but the potential is through the roof, our pass rush has been insane at times, but majorly inconsistent, our ILB rotation for the future looks very promising but also unproven. 

on offense we have gary kubiak, and a much improved OL on paper, hopefully bernard pierce gets healthy because he is the prototype zone scheme, 1 cut, burst workhorse, ray rice needs a limited snap count and needs to stick to a niche as that 3DB and know his role, smitty needs to let his presence be known, torrey needs to continue his develop and be more consistent, jacoby and marlon need to keep doing what they do until we find a guy to step in steve smiths current spot for the future, pitta needs to return to 2013 playoffs form. 

our entire roster is a question mark honestly, but i see no reason to doubt it, there are plenty of unknowns, with a new system and a rebuilt team, players returning from injury, young players who have barely seen the field who are about to get extended play time, we havent seen much for us to feel assured of a great season, but we have seen NOTHING to make us feel like a bad season is coming, all the signs are unknown but very positive at the moment. 

i predict a tight 3 way division race for 3rd seed, with us coming out on top at either 12-4 or 13-3, with 2 AFCN wild card teams, pitt being the 5th seed. i think the steelers rivalry takes center stage once again over SF and SEA, and we split the series and see them again in the divisional round.

Soooo, the team is both "clutch" and the entire roster is "questionable" all at the same time?  Wow!  Great analysis!  LOL!

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

#19 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Soooo, the team is both "clutch" and the entire roster is "questionable" all at the same time?  Wow!  Great analysis!  LOL!

#Mili

Maybe we're questionably clutch? idk

But seriously. I'm very excited for this year, mainly because i'm sure nothing gets worse then last season and if our worse is only 8-8 then the sky is the limits. I don't think I have to touch on how excited I am about the potential of Flacco taking this Kubiak offense to even higher level, I've touched on that all offseason and I don't want to turn this into a Smokin' Joe thread.

I'm excited to see how the oline comes together. I personally feel across the broad with the exception of Center, we are better then the oline that won the Super Bowl. Now I'm not saying Zuttah isn't gonna be good for us, but Birk played really well for us doing that run before hanging them up. Monroe with a full offseason and the security of knowing he's gonna be here, KO healthy and hopefully returning to that guy I saw as a certain future pro bowler, Yanda now healthy and a certain upgrade over Gino with Zuttah, I think the only question is Ricky and I feel this scheme fits him really well. Everything starts up front and I think those guys might have the biggest chip on their shoulders. Watching NFLTA early this morning they highlighted Flacco's 48 sacks last year to count down how many days left until the season starts. The question was asked if he was sacked 48 times, can you imagine how many time he was hit overall? That's an alarming number and I'm sure the oline is dead set on correcting that.

I think we have the best group of pass catches we've had in history. Mason, Heap and Boldin together was good, but I think this group can be even better. Smith, Smitty, Brown, Coby, PItta, Daniels, Juice, Rice and that's not to mention the fact that we finally have a creative OC that isn't scared to empty the bench so we may very well see what guy like Camp, DT and Butler can do as well, depending on who makes the cut. What sets this group apart is the fact that Kubes is all about creating matchups and mis-matches. Many don't think Torrey has what it takes to be a #1, but I look at his production while in a boring bland offense and immediately get excited knowing how Kubes will move him around, have him running more shorter routes, but not just short routes, routes that set up double moves, and then pairing that speed with the amount of space that the play action creates......wow. I can't wait to see Torrey used more like a Reggie Wayne then the 1 trick pony he was before.

With all the names on offense, I think Juice might end up being the new Heeeaaappp or Leeaaccchhh among the M&T Bank crowd. I think this guy has great talent and Kubes is just the guy to showcase them. Look for him to quickly become a fan favorite.

On defense I'm just overly excited about the youth that has be added to this team over the previously 3 drafts. I know most just think back to the last 2 drafts and remember that we added to the defense with our top 3 picks both years, but I think both Upshaw and Tyson will have big roles in this defense and watch out for Asa out of that draft. I think the front 7 is really strong in both run and pass defense and the only questions in the secondary are FS and NB. I love the potential now and heading into the future of the LBs. CJ, Art, Upshaw and Simon, very interested in seeing what those guys do.The team overall is young, fast, physical and should be very hungry after last season. Should be a fun one.

mj5v69.jpg

#20 GritsrGreat

GritsrGreat

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

I'm so happy that Steve Smith is with the Ravens and not those losers down south. Smith is one of my favorite NFL players and he deserves to go out a winner with a winning org. Thanks.

tumblr_m0jell4YqX1rn059do1_250.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users