19 replies to this topic

#1 letitgosometimes

letitgosometimes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

There are many areas for the Ravens to focus on during preseason, I'll talk about three:

1. Punt the ball between the 12-22 yard lines, out of bounds: the Ravens cannot afford to give opponents any advantage with the football.  Focus on zero return yardage on every punt - that means punt the football out of bounds every time. 

2. Eliminate unnecessary huddling: the better teams do not waste energy of the linemen moving back and forth to the huddle.  It is time for Joe to bark out the opponent's defensive formation and to select an appropriate offensive play.  He is fully capable of leading the offense and knows where to attack the defense. 

3. Eliminate frequent defensive personnel changes: last year the Ravens defensive personnel were changed almost every play!  That is way too much running on and off the field by the Ravens' linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs.  Stop wasting valuable energy on non-play activities.  Swap out sparingly and only if necessary.

Next topics: Running, blocking, clock management.

Letitgosometimes

#2 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

Did you just say "waste the energy of the linemen moving in and out of the huddle "?
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#3 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

#1 is obvious. What do you think they do all the time if they are punting around the 50 yard lines
#2. Is a head scratcher if running a no huddle your ol are actually using more energy hustling to the Los after a play
Where as a huddle allows for them to get the play call and catch their breath.
#3. Basically you're saying what Baltimore does well with their dl is something you don't wanna see.
You suggest other teams run no huddle frequently and your solution to all of our problems is to
Keep our personnel in on defense so that they get tired.

No just no

So can't wait to you talk about the run in game.
Are you going to suggest that the running backs should hit the whole or they should stop getting tackled all together.

Edited by Tiz, 10 July 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#4 letitgosometimes

letitgosometimes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Tiz,

1. Use directional punting to kick out of bounds.  There may be one or two exceptions, for example the Ravens are trailing big and need to force a turnover, but otherwise, the zero return strategy works every time.

2. There is a difference between the "Hurry up offense" and "No huddle offense".  The HUO everyone is running to the line of scrimmage and setting up for the play (i.e. two minute drill).  The NHO simply allows the linemen to walk to the line of scrimmage, catch their breath while Joe is sizing up the defense with verbal cadence.  Then the play begins without wasted steps to and from the huddle.  Efficient energy management is the key to keeping the linemen strong and healthy on the field.  Having said that, if the team needs a huddle for whatever reason, so be it.  To reduce wasted energy by the players is positive player energy management and will result in more productivity on the field.  If the Ravens are running out the clock, then huddle.

3. Changing defensive personnel every play is waste of energy (running on and off the field) and results in too much movement by the defense, resulting in miscommunication, blown assignments, and befuddlement.  Of course swap out players for tactical defensive sets, but certainly NOT every play.

#5 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

The huddle is used so players can hear the playcall. No huddle sounds good if, pardon the pun, you can hear.

Any game with bad weather or a semi-aware opposing crowd would make it impossible for a wide-out to be able to hear a playcall. Hand signals can work but are limited.

Even so, would the defense get set in its allignment before our offensive linemen were set? 20-30 seconds of squatting on each play would be more taxing than the handful of steps to and from the huddle.

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#6 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Oh my. It's like I responded to your number one and then you just rewrote what was posted. Hilarious. If it helps you to feel useful and educated about football please keep stating the obvious.

#7 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Oh my. It's like I responded to your number one and then you just rewrote what was posted. Hilarious. If it helps you to feel useful and educated about football please keep stating the obvious.

... Madden strikes again!!!!!

#8 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Who remembers that post where someone was pitching a fit for the Ravens players who were reaching out to help opposing players get up on the field?

He said that the Ravens were going to wear them selves out by helping the players up and further more we should let the opposing team expel the energy it takes to get up on their own thus making them wear out sooner.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#9 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Who remembers that post where someone was pitching a fit for the Ravens players who were reaching out to help opposing players get up on the field?

He said that the Ravens were going to wear them selves out by helping the players up and further more we should let the opposing team expel the energy it takes to get up on their own thus making them wear out sooner.

Wow, that's a new low.

Reasons I can't wait for the regular season, #93...

#10 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

That probably comes from the emmitt smith nfl films piece
His father gave him the same advice so he always let other players helped him up

#11 Rav'n Maniac

Rav'n Maniac

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

Wondering if the OP writes for the Onion? lol.

#12 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Tiz,

1. Use directional punting to kick out of bounds. There may be one or two exceptions, for example the Ravens are trailing big and need to force a turnover, but otherwise, the zero return strategy works every time.

2. There is a difference between the "Hurry up offense" and "No huddle offense". The HUO everyone is running to the line of scrimmage and setting up for the play (i.e. two minute drill). The NHO simply allows the linemen to walk to the line of scrimmage, catch their breath while Joe is sizing up the defense with verbal cadence. Then the play begins without wasted steps to and from the huddle. Efficient energy management is the key to keeping the linemen strong and healthy on the field. Having said that, if the team needs a huddle for whatever reason, so be it. To reduce wasted energy by the players is positive player energy management and will result in more productivity on the field. If the Ravens are running out the clock, then huddle.

3. Changing defensive personnel every play is waste of energy (running on and off the field) and results in too much movement by the defense, resulting in miscommunication, blown assignments, and befuddlement. Of course swap out players for tactical defensive sets, but certainly NOT every play.

I originally came here to mock you. Seeing how you responded has built a small admiration. Actually makes sense, even though if you're subbing people in and out on defense that should save energy. You can't think small term as in just that game. This is also help keep guys fresh throughout the entire season. Less wear and tear means a longer career. On most teams if they pay a guy like Ngata that salary, he's never getting off the field. The advantages of depth.

#13 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,853 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Dude these are pro athletes. Going from the huddle to the LOS and from the sideline to the field don't sap anyone's energy. Hell, it shouldn't even sap a normal person's energy...

#14 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Dude these are pro athletes. Going from the huddle to the LOS and from the sideline to the field don't sap anyone's energy. Hell, it shouldn't even sap a normal person's energy...

I don't know there are some Sundays my energy is sapped making the trip from the sofa to the fridge for another beer. Lol

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#15 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

Kickers never try to punt the ball out of bounds, instead they sometimes angle it toward the sideline while keeping it inbounds, hoping to trap the return guy against the sideline so he gets tackled before he can make a long return or force him to fair catch it.

The problem with attempting to kick the ball so it lands just out of bounds is, if the kicker kicks it too high or far or to the side, then he will lose yardage because the ball's not spotted where it lands but where it seemed to be when it crossed the sideline (official's judgement call).

And in the AFC North where wind is almost always a factor, it's impossible to punt the ball far and deep with that kind of accuracy consistently.

Better to have the punter kick it high and deep to let the punt coverage get down there and either force a fair catch or no catch (where the returner lets it go hoping the ball will reach the end zone for the touchback) and try to down it near the goal line.

#16 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

3. Eliminate frequent defensive personnel changes: last year the Ravens defensive personnel were changed almost every play!  That is way too much running on and off the field by the Ravens' linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs.  Stop wasting valuable energy on non-play activities.  Swap out sparingly and only if necessary.

Right because it takes so much energy to run over to the sideline. And it seems as though you have forgotten that players can be better suited to a particular area. What if the defense is going to blitz and so the coaches decide to bring in an extra pass rusher?

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#17 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Right because it takes so much energy to run over to the sideline. And it seems as though you have forgotten that players can be better suited to a particular area. What if the defense is going to blitz and so the coaches decide to bring in an extra pass rusher?

I don't agree with his critique, but I think an over-reliance on differing personnel packages puts us at a disadvantage against teams smart enough to use the no huddle.

#18 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

I don't agree with his critique, but I think an over-reliance on differing personnel packages puts us at a disadvantage against teams smart enough to use the no huddle.

If you mean that swapping players causes us to take too long to get ready, I can understand that. It's good to find creative things to do with the guys already on the field. And there is always that outside chance that a player will collapse from exhaustion on the way to the sideline.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#19 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

No huddle is often used to control tempo against a dominant defense by NOT letting them substitute as the constant running wears out defenders especially in teams where all 11 play to the whistle and fly to the ball.

So as a result you're at a disadvantage by not being able to substitute. It's what they want especially if they find a mismatch at a wr position.

#20 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,867 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

This is awesome. Help our players preserve their energy by keeping them in and on the field more often. I love it! Its freakin brilliant!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users