100 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

With the first game of the seasons 59 days away and training camp around the corner, it might be fun to make some early predictions on who will and should start for the Ravens.

QB: Joe Flacco
RB: Bernard Pierce
FB: Juice
TE: Dennis Pitta
WR: Torrey Smith
WR: Steve Smith
WR: Jacoby Jones
It's hard to leave Marlon Brown out of the starting lineup after a strong rookie showing, but he's best in the slot, the position Steve Smith will line up in. Jones also signed a fairly big contract, and that won't be just to return kicks.
LT: Eugene Monroe
LG: Kelechi Osemele
C: Jeremy Zuttah
RG: Marshall Yanda
RT: Ricky Wagner
The offensive line looks very much improved if they can get their chemistry down. Zuttah will be a huge upgrade and having a healthy guard duo is major. Wagner is a bit of a question mark, but he's a known run blocker and it's likely the Ravens have Yanda combo block with Wagner or slide a tight end to his side if he truly does struggle

DE: Chris Canty
NT: Haloti Ngata
DE: Kapron Lewis-Moore
KLM is a bit of an unknown, but reports are great from mini camp and he's likely a second or third rounder if not for the injury. The talent is there if he's healthy. He's stout against the run and can provide some push in the passing game. The only competition would be Tyson, but I think he'll be a versatile rotation player. Only other scenario I could see is Brandon Williams starting at the nose tackle spot and Ngata moving to DE.

OLB: Terrell Suggs
ILB: CJ Mosley
ILB: Daryl Smith
OLB: Courtney Upshaw
Upshaw over Dumervil will surprise some people, but Upshaw is much better against the run and it keeps Doom fresh. Mosley and Smith is going to be one heck of an athletic duo.

CB: Jimmy Smith
CB: Lardarius Webb
CB: Aaron Ross
FS: Darian Stewart
SS: Matt Elam
Brooks appears to be just learning the defense for now and not really in a position to start right out of the gates. It'll be no surprise if he takes over later, but not right now. I think Ross wins the third corner spot due to his experience with Spags and his experience overall

#2 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

i dont think we see ngata at NT, its a strange situation with him because we know what hes capable of, but its tough to find a position for him because he just never seems to live up to his potential at any position, one day we say move him back to NT because he cant rush the passer well enough, the next day we say put him at DE so he doesnt get injured again lol. 

but i personally think if we see upshaw on the field, then we will see brandon wiliams and maybe jernigan, because they seem like more stout option against the run than KLM and canty

#3 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm still wondering when the heck is John Simon going to show up and carve a role in the defense? I Never hear anything about the guy during OTA's, it's like he's a ghost? Guess we'll wait and see in training camp and pre season.....

#4 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

I'm still wondering when the heck is John Simon going to show up and carve a role in the defense? I Never hear anything about the guy during OTA's, it's like he's a ghost? Guess we'll wait and see in training camp and pre season.....

Simon has too many bodies in front of him. His mark will be on STs, baring injury of course. He's got Suggs, Doom, McPhee, and Upshaw in front of him. Not surprising that we don't hear about him. Maybe next year if McPhee walks.

#5 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

I could pretty easily see Simon being a stud on special teams for us. I see that being his big impact this year which is good since special teams is always important. Maybe he gets some playing time as well this year subbing out for Suggs to keep him fresh.

Edited by 52520Andrew, 07 July 2014 - 10:47 PM.

In Ozzie We Trust

#6 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Simon has too many bodies in front of him. His mark will be on STs, baring injury of course. He's got Suggs, Doom, McPhee, and Upshaw in front of him. Not surprising that we don't hear about him. Maybe next year if McPhee walks.

He looked good at Ohio, has a motor. Thought he'd be making some sparks!

#7 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

I could pretty easily see Simon being a stud on special teams for us. I see that being his big impact this year which is good since special teams is always important. Maybe he gets some playing time as well this year subbing out for Suggs to keep him fresh.

6-2 262 I think, with a 4.62 40.... Hope he gets his chance to shine soon...

#8 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

Agree with the opening day lineup for the most part. My changes would be as follows:

Offense

Instead of 3 WRs, I think you see 2 WR & 2 TE more often. I think Torrey + S. Smith + Pitta + Daniels > Torrey + S. Smith + Jones/Brown + Pitta. This is really semantics though.

Defense

I think the front 4 D lineman are going to rotate often, but in my opinion the "starters" will likely be:

DE - Canty

NT - Ngata

DT - WIlliams

DE/OLB - Suggs

I put Suggs in there because he really is a DE in our hybrid scheme. I think KLM, Tyson and Urban will rotate at Canty's spot; possibly also being in at DT during passing downs. NT/DT positions will be a rotation of Jernigan, Ngata, Williams, and possibly Cody (if he does not get cut). McPhee and Suggs will be the rotation at DE/RUSH LB.

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

I personally see it as the following:

Flacco, T. Smith, S. Smith, M. Brown/Jones, Pitta, Daniels, Juszczyk. Rice/Pierce. First of all, I think we're going to try to incorporate more 2 TE sets but I think we're going to fail to do it due to poor performance from Daniels. I see Juszczyk replacing him midway through the season. I see Brown and Jones splitting that #3 job depending on what we want from the #3 at that time. At the end of the season I expect WR and TE to still be an issue, leading us to pave a high priority on fixing it next off-season.

OL is pretty simple and seems unanimous. Monroe, KO, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner.

As for defense, I think our starting DL will be Ngata, Williams, Canty with heavy substitutions. I think by the end of the year Tyson will be pushing to start. On pass rushers, Suggs will start and we'll likely see Dumervil in 3-4 packages with McPhee in 4-3 packages.

I expect our LB to consist of Smith, Brown and Mosley all starting and being used to support the run and our efforts to stop it. I think all three could start on certain formations.

#10 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I personally see it as the following:

Flacco, T. Smith, S. Smith, M. Brown/Jones, Pitta, Daniels, Juszczyk. Rice/Pierce. First of all, I think we're going to try to incorporate more 2 TE sets but I think we're going to fail to do it due to poor performance from Daniels. I see Juszczyk replacing him midway through the season. I see Brown and Jones splitting that #3 job depending on what we want from the #3 at that time. At the end of the season I expect WR and TE to still be an issue, leading us to pave a high priority on fixing it next off-season.

OL is pretty simple and seems unanimous. Monroe, KO, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner.

As for defense, I think our starting DL will be Ngata, Williams, Canty with heavy substitutions. I think by the end of the year Tyson will be pushing to start. On pass rushers, Suggs will start and we'll likely see Dumervil in 3-4 packages with McPhee in 4-3 packages.

I expect our LB to consist of Smith, Brown and Mosley all starting and being used to support the run and our efforts to stop it. I think all three could start on certain formations.

Interested in hearing why you feel O.D will have a poor season. I realize that all things won't go smoothly this season, but why O.D.?

Also I don't see TE being a issue next season unless you feel Pitta isn't the answer as well. Yes Kubes loves the 2TE offense but not to the point were a major emphasis is placed on having a strong #2. Actually as it stands right now if both Pitta and O.D perform well we'll have an luxury of talent at the TE position. I think the future combo of Pitta, Gilmore and Juice will be more then enough at the TE/HB positions for us.  

As for WR, again I'm not naïve to think that every move made will work out for the best, but I think anyone expecting a top draft pick at WR or a quality WR in FA next year will be upset with Ozzie yet again. I think both Smith and Brown will just continue to get better and a I think Smitty has a strong 2 years left. If guys like Bulter and Camp show promise and develop well. I could easily see Torrey, Brown, Camp, Bulter and maybe a 2-3rd round pick moving forward but no major additions to the WR position.

mj5v69.jpg

#11 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Interested in hearing why you feel O.D will have a poor season. I realize that all things won't go smoothly this season, but why O.D.?

Also I don't see TE being a issue next season unless you feel Pitta isn't the answer as well. Yes Kubes loves the 2TE offense but not to the point were a major emphasis is placed on having a strong #2. Actually as it stands right now if both Pitta and O.D perform well we'll have an luxury of talent at the TE position. I think the future combo of Pitta, Gilmore and Juice will be more then enough at the TE/HB positions for us.

As for WR, again I'm not naïve to think that every move made will work out for the best, but I think anyone expecting a top draft pick at WR or a quality WR in FA next year will be upset with Ozzie yet again. I think both Smith and Brown will just continue to get better and a I think Smitty has a strong 2 years left. If guys like Bulter and Camp show promise and develop well. I could easily see Torrey, Brown, Camp, Bulter and maybe a 2-3rd round pick moving forward but no major additions to the WR position.

Dang, I forgot about Gilmore. Thanks for reminding me! I think he could very well have a prominent role if Daniels struggles as I feel he may.

I feel like Daniels will struggle fur to a few reasons. I don't think he's been exceptional these past couple years and he's not a great blocker. Combine that with the fact that he's getting older and I recently read an article where it stated that TE seem to decline at his age and I feel that he could be that guy we feel will do well and just doesn't. It's just a hunch and it's not supported by much facts other than what I've supplied. It just seems like every year we have "that guy" and he sets up well to be "that guy" this year.

No Pitta is the answer but I'm not sure how long he'll be the answer but he's definitely the answer through this deal. I think we could need someone to replace him and be a dual threat and I think we may be able to find that next year.

As for WR, I just think Brown sets up well for the sophomore slump. He is a guy who had low expectations and exceeded then last year. I think he'll have higher expectations and is at risk for not being ready for the next step. Not a slight on him or his talent at all but more of a hunch once again that statistically speaking players can easily not repeat surprising performances. I do think he'll put it together in his third year but I just think he struggles this year. And Steve Smith has a few more years, like two I agree, but you need someone groomed behind him. Not sure we have that at the moment.

#12 Challenge Accepted

Challenge Accepted

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

I see being Ngata moved to DE and Brandon Williams take over at NT

brand.gif2013 BR.COM Saints GM

#13 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Dang, I forgot about Gilmore. Thanks for reminding me! I think he could very well have a prominent role if Daniels struggles as I feel he may.

I feel like Daniels will struggle fur to a few reasons. I don't think he's been exceptional these past couple years and he's not a great blocker. Combine that with the fact that he's getting older and I recently read an article where it stated that TE seem to decline at his age and I feel that he could be that guy we feel will do well and just doesn't. It's just a hunch and it's not supported by much facts other than what I've supplied. It just seems like every year we have "that guy" and he sets up well to be "that guy" this year.

No Pitta is the answer but I'm not sure how long he'll be the answer but he's definitely the answer through this deal. I think we could need someone to replace him and be a dual threat and I think we may be able to find that next year.

As for WR, I just think Brown sets up well for the sophomore slump. He is a guy who had low expectations and exceeded then last year. I think he'll have higher expectations and is at risk for not being ready for the next step. Not a slight on him or his talent at all but more of a hunch once again that statistically speaking players can easily not repeat surprising performances. I do think he'll put it together in his third year but I just think he struggles this year. And Steve Smith has a few more years, like two I agree, but you need someone groomed behind him. Not sure we have that at the moment.

Yea I definitely agree you are just going off a hunch lol. Imo Daniels has been really good over the last 2 1/2 year, obviously last year he didn't finish the season. But over this span one could argue that O.D was really right in the middle of his prime. During that span he has overall better numbers then Pitta and I don't think either of us would say Pitta hasn't had good seasons. Even last year before the injury he had 3 TDs in about 4 games and averaged about 4-5recs, so he was well on his way to having another strong season. What helps him even more is the fact that he's a #2TE now and won't be relied on as heavily as usual. I question his injury history, but again him being a #2 TE should help. Also I've always found O.D to be a much better blocker(in this system) then given credit for. But we'll see. Also I think the age thing isn't as relevant as years past. The passing game is so protected now that guys aren't getting banged up nearly as much as they used to, but I do worry about his injury history.

I get what you are saying about Brown but I think sometimes we can over think things a bit. Yes much wasn't expected of him last season initially, but once he cracked that starting line up I'd say much was expected of him simply because we had no one else to help Torrey and Brown did really well for himself. Much of my optimism steams from the system we now have and the greatness I feel Flacco will have in it with his weapons. So when I look at Brown, I don't see him regressing this year, I just don't see his opportunities being as great this year. However you touched on the fact that you feel he'll continue to develop and be good the following season(2015) and that's exactly when I see him starting to take over for Smitty. Again based on this system, I see Marlon Brown as a more shifty and explosive Kevin Walter. You can move him inside or out and he'll be a great compliment to Torrey. Again just from a system comparison and how me might be used, if you go back to the mid 90's he's a Ed McCaffrey clone imo. He's that tall lanky physical guy that will do a lot of the dirty work(blocking, clear out routes etc) and be rewarded with redzone targets. His YAC/RAC yards will be high because most defenses won't gameplan for him so he'll be working in space a lot. Again I'm not saying that's who he is or if Kubes even sees that from Brown, but if he does envision that from Brown I think he'll have tremendous success. Because of this I think Brown is the guy being groomed to step up when Smith leaves.

I just don't see any major additions added to WR because it's a high priced position and the Ravens are all about value. Now if they can land a Mason, Boldin, Smith type vet, then yes, but other then that, I see us continuing to add guys like Pitta, Gilmore, Juice, Camp, Brown, Bulter and other later round guys and maybe a 2-3rd round guy if they fall into our laps.

mj5v69.jpg

#14 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

I see being Ngata moved to DE and Brandon Williams take over at NT

I actually see the exact opposite. BW being used as the 3 with Ngata at the NT. BW was drafted to be a NT, but he's more then capable of playing the 3tech. I feel Ngata is better suited closer to the ball and the NT position is prefect for him at this stage of his career. Allow him the opportunity to control the LOS like a Vince Wilfork from that position because he's not as explosive and quick as he used to be. Too many injuries have slowed the big man. At this point I think you are just happy with an effective Ngata and accept the fact that the days of him being dominant may be over.  

mj5v69.jpg

#15 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

I will post my prediction first week of September.

I am pretty sure the list I have will be 100% correct.  Check back here to see for sure.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yea I definitely agree you are just going off a hunch lol. Imo Daniels has been really good over the last 2 1/2 year, obviously last year he didn't finish the season. But over this span one could argue that O.D was really right in the middle of his prime. During that span he has overall better numbers then Pitta and I don't think either of us would say Pitta hasn't had good seasons. Even last year before the injury he had 3 TDs in about 4 games and averaged about 4-5recs, so he was well on his way to having another strong season. What helps him even more is the fact that he's a #2TE now and won't be relied on as heavily as usual. I question his injury history, but again him being a #2 TE should help. Also I've always found O.D to be a much better blocker(in this system) then given credit for. But we'll see. Also I think the age thing isn't as relevant as years past. The passing game is so protected now that guys aren't getting banged up nearly as much as they used to, but I do worry about his injury history.

I get what you are saying about Brown but I think sometimes we can over think things a bit. Yes much wasn't expected of him last season initially, but once he cracked that starting line up I'd say much was expected of him simply because we had no one else to help Torrey and Brown did really well for himself. Much of my optimism steams from the system we now have and the greatness I feel Flacco will have in it with his weapons. So when I look at Brown, I don't see him regressing this year, I just don't see his opportunities being as great this year. However you touched on the fact that you feel he'll continue to develop and be good the following season(2015) and that's exactly when I see him starting to take over for Smitty. Again based on this system, I see Marlon Brown as a more shifty and explosive Kevin Walter. You can move him inside or out and he'll be a great compliment to Torrey. Again just from a system comparison and how me might be used, if you go back to the mid 90's he's a Ed McCaffrey clone imo. He's that tall lanky physical guy that will do a lot of the dirty work(blocking, clear out routes etc) and be rewarded with redzone targets. His YAC/RAC yards will be high because most defenses won't gameplan for him so he'll be working in space a lot. Again I'm not saying that's who he is or if Kubes even sees that from Brown, but if he does envision that from Brown I think he'll have tremendous success. Because of this I think Brown is the guy being groomed to step up when Smith leaves.

I just don't see any major additions added to WR because it's a high priced position and the Ravens are all about value. Now if they can land a Mason, Boldin, Smith type vet, then yes, but other then that, I see us continuing to add guys like Pitta, Gilmore, Juice, Camp, Brown, Bulter and other later round guys and maybe a 2-3rd round guy if they fall into our laps.

Allow me to preface by saying I like Daniels. I'm not knocking his talent at all. In fact, I think he's a great TE and I'd agree with you that he was viewed as a very good TE only three years back. Injuries and poor QB derailed his success and losing his head coach who helped make him successful didn't help. I'd also agree he's a better bicker than given credit but that's in the run game not pass protection, where he leaves much to be desired.

I think looking at Daniels you must wonder if he'll be an Elvis Dumervil or a Chris Canty. Now Chris Canty wasn't wasn't even bad but you could argue that guys like Tyson played as well as him. That's clearly an analogy to how I think this could go. Daniels could do great, average or he could even be a Stokley. The question is who is he now? He's surely got great potential from his past performance. I'd lie if I said I wasn't excited to see him play with Joe. It's just a gut feeling that he will end up disappointing us that's all. Nothing really more to it.

Yeah I definitely think he'll take over in 2015. I'd agree with the comparisons and even the complement to Torrey. I guess the question is whether Torrey can or is that true #1 dominant receiver who teams need to devote extra coverage to stop. I personally think he is and if not currently then can be. With that said, I try to remove my own bias when I try to guess (unless it's a hunch) when I judge stuff and assuming Torrey isn't necessarily that then we need it because I don't see that special "it" factor from Brown.

As for Butler, well, that's just taking camp talk. He looked great but then I could use those same articles about how Marlon is struggling, which I also don't provide much weight. We'll see what happens with Butler in the season if he makes the team, which I think he can.

I think we could very well address WR high if any two of the following bullets happen:
1. Torrey leaves or struggles.
2. Steve SmIth isn't the same.
3. Marlon Brown tears an ACL or struggles.
4. Campanaro or Butler fail to impress.

I have this because if any two of those scenarios happens then I think the FO will consider it a problem especially if the offense doesn't rank high. We already have seen Jacoby Jones isn't really a #2 WR. I hate labeling but it's true. Jones is best for big plays, in every facet. It's what he does. For this reason, I expect Jones and Brown to rotate as a starting third WR and even used in four wide sets.

I don't think there will be a set line-up except for a few people. I see a lot of rotations on both sides of the ball.

#17 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

I think looking at Daniels you must wonder if he'll be an Elvis Dumervil or a Chris Canty. Now Chris Canty wasn't wasn't even bad but you could argue that guys like Tyson played as well as him. That's clearly an analogy to how I think this could go. Daniels could do great, average or he could even be a Stokley. The question is who is he now? He's surely got great potential from his past performance. I'd lie if I said I wasn't excited to see him play with Joe. It's just a gut feeling that he will end up disappointing us that's all. Nothing really more to it.

I had to stop reading your post after this. I'll go back and finish the rest, but I think this is a great question and one that has to be asked as you mentioned. Like I said, I'm not naïve enough to think that ever move made this year will work out perfectly or that guys like O.D and Smitty will come in and recreate their youthful years, so I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Is he Doom or Canty? That's a really good question. Because if he's Doom, then he's probably asked to stick around for at least another year or 2. If he's Canty, then we probably see a lot of Juice and Gilmore in situations where you'd expect to see O.D. One of the best things I like about Harbs is he plays the guy who's playing the best, period. My overall expectations isn't for him to live up to the Pro Bowl standard he was at before his injury, but I do think he'll perform well.

mj5v69.jpg

#18 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Yeah I definitely think he'll take over in 2015. I'd agree with the comparisons and even the complement to Torrey. I guess the question is whether Torrey can or is that true #1 dominant receiver who teams need to devote extra coverage to stop. I personally think he is and if not currently then can be. With that said, I try to remove my own bias when I try to guess (unless it's a hunch) when I judge stuff and assuming Torrey isn't necessarily that then we need it because I don't see that special "it" factor from Brown.

As for Butler, well, that's just taking camp talk. He looked great but then I could use those same articles about how Marlon is struggling, which I also don't provide much weight. We'll see what happens with Butler in the season if he makes the team, which I think he can.

I think we could very well address WR high if any two of the following bullets happen:
1. Torrey leaves or struggles.
2. Steve SmIth isn't the same.
3. Marlon Brown tears an ACL or struggles.
4. Campanaro or Butler fail to impress.

I have this because if any two of those scenarios happens then I think the FO will consider it a problem especially if the offense doesn't rank high. We already have seen Jacoby Jones isn't really a #2 WR. I hate labeling but it's true. Jones is best for big plays, in every facet. It's what he does. For this reason, I expect Jones and Brown to rotate as a starting third WR and even used in four wide sets.

I don't think there will be a set line-up except for a few people. I see a lot of rotations on both sides of the ball.

I actually do see that "it" factor from Marlon. I still remember when I was at the Castle watching practice and he just jumped out to me. I'm like this kid is gonna be good. Now i'm not saying it as far as top WR 1500yds 12Tds "it". But he's definitely good enough to be a quality #2 guy.

I don 't put much into Bulter or Camp honestly. Both guys have to show and prove that being drafted late or not at all wasn't an accurate evaluation. As for the drafting of a WR, I make that statement under the presumption that guys remain healthy and Torrey stays. Obviously if something goes wrong we'll be looking for a WR no doubt. But all things going well, I don't see us targeting a

WR early honestly.

1. I don't see either happening. Much like you I think Torrey can and will thrive in a #1 role. He's gotten better every year in the NFL and I can't see the Ravens letting him get away. Also because of this, I don't see us drafting a WR high. I can't see Ozzie drafting a #2 WR high unless it's a can't miss guy.

2. Very fair point but again, I feel Marlon is the guy who will take over for Smitty either way, so his performance doesn't really factor into what we do a WR imo.

3. That's tough to say. That's like saying the Ravens will target a QB high if Joe gets injuried. Of course we would. Now Brown has had some injury issues even dating back to college, I definitely agree with it, if he gets hurt we will. But all things being healthy I say no.

4. I don't see their failures sending Ozzie into a "gotta add to wr" mode. I think if either of those guys fail to impress, you'll see a younger Vet WR added. But it won't be a huge name or something to get excited over, It'll be a guy like Louis Murphy who had some success in the NFL and may just need a better situation.

I agree with coby, he's not a #2 but he could be really good as a #3. I think there will be heavy rotation around the entire team expect for QB and the oline. Other then that guys will be rotated a lot, especially on defense.

mj5v69.jpg

#19 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

The title says it all.  With training camp upon us, take an early shot at the 53 man roster.  I've always found it interesting to see the thought process that goes into picking 53 out of 90 players.

Quarterback (3):

In: Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor, Keith Wenning

Bubble:

Out:

It feels weird to put 3 QBs, but that's what I think happens this year.  I've seen that Wenning has been very timid in the pocket and that's before pads were even on.  Tyrod isn't the best option, but I trust him more to keep us competitive for a few games if Flacco were to get hurt than I would Wenning.  Wenning could go to the PS, but I wonder if they chance it if they really do believe that he's the backup of the future.

Running Back (3):

In: Bernard Pierce, Justin Forsett, Lorenzo Taliaferro

Bubble: Ray Rice (suspension?)

Out: Cierre Wood, Fitzgerald Toussaint

The big question here is whether Ray Rice will get suspended, which I fully believe he will.  If for some odd reason he doesn't, scratch Forsett off.  I don't see much changing here unless there's an injury.  All 3 backs slated to make the team are complementary of one another.  Wood could make a late push based on performance in the preseason, but I'd say this is what it would look like.

Fullback (1):

In: Kyle Juszczyk

Bubble:

Out: Shaun Chapas

Not much needs to be said here.  Juice is the guy at FB and Chapas is nothing more than a camp body for this team.

Wide Receiver (5):

In: Torrey Smith, Steve Smith, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones, Michael Campanaro

Bubble: Jeremy Butler, LaQuan Williams, Deonte Thompson

Out: Mike Willie, Gerrard Sheppard, Kamar Aiken, Jace Davis

I'd like to keep 6, but as the roster goes along, it's hard to find 6 spots.  If something happens and there's room, I think Butler and Williams have the most likely shot of getting that spot.  There's no doubt in my mind that Campanaro makes the team being that we traded a future pick and that he's a different receiver from anything else we have on the roster.

Tight End (3):

In: Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels, Crockett Gillmore

Bubble: Phillip Supernaw

Out: Nathan Overbay

There's not much question here in my mind either.  The top 3 are pretty much settled.  The only reason I have Supernaw as a bubble guy is that Kubiak loves his TEs.  If we can somehow manage to keep 4, Supernaw could be the guy.  He managed to crack the Texans roster with Kubiak last year so it's possible, but unlikely.

Offensive Line (9):

In: Eugene Monroe, Kelechi Osemele, Jeremy Zuttah, Marshal Yanda, Rick Wagner, Ryan Jensen, John Urschel, Gino Gradkowski, AQ Shipley

Bubble: James Hurst, Jah Reid, Will Rackley

Out: Parker Graham, Brett Van Sloten, David Mims, Reggie Stephens

This is a difficult one.  I can't see us not adding a veteran T at some point, but based off of what we have now, this is unfortunately how I see it playing out.  If the season started today, I think the plan would be to have Osemele as the backup T option in case of injury.  That gives us Jensen or Shipley at G, the latter being a scary thought.  I like Hurst, but I've heard he's really struggled against the 1s and 2s and has looked very timid on his leg, so he could be an IR candidate if things don't improve.  The only reason Reid is on the bubble is due to the lack of T depth.

Defensive Line (7):

In: Haloti Ngata, Chris Canty, Brandon Williams, DeAngelo Tyson, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Timmy Jernigan, Brent Urban

Bubble: Terrence Cody

Out: Derrick Hopkins, Jamie Meder, AJ Pataiali'i, Levi Brown

This group is young, but deep.  I like Hopkins as a PS candidate, but there's simply too much in front of him to crack this roster.  Canty could be cut if the young guys show well and he doesn't improve on last year, but I think being a veteran keeps him around.  Cody is on the bubble, but likely to be cut.

Inside Linebacker (4):

In: Daryl Smith, CJ Mosley, Arthur Brown, Josh Bynes

Bubble: Albert McClellan

Out: Austin Spitler, Zach Orr

I'd love to find a spot for McClellan, but it's really difficult to only pick 53.  I gave the edge to Bynes since they're similar ST players, but Bynes has more defensive experience.  Spitler is out on the basis of him being a pure STer with Bynes and McClellan as similar players with defensive ability.  The real question here is who starts opposite Daryl.

Outside Linebacker (5):

In: Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil, Courtney Upshaw, Pernell McPhee, John Simon

Bubble:

Out: Nick DiMarco, DJ Roberts

There's not much question here either.  All 5 of those guys are pretty much locks for this team barring injury.  The 2 UDFAs won't crack the roster.

Cornerback (5):

In: Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson, Aaron Ross

Bubble: Dominique Franks, Deji Olatoye, Sammy Seamster

Out: Tramain Jacobs

This is easily the most questionable position.  I gave the edge to Ross based on veteran experience.  Franks is a vet but doesn't have that much more playing time than Chykie, so I doubt we go with that much inexperience at CB.  Another question here is if we keep 6.  I think Olatoye and Seamster could push for roster spots at the expense of a 5th safety in the next grouping.  For now, I'll go with 5.

Safety (5):

In: Matt Elam, Darian Stewart, Terrence Brooks, Jeromy Miles, Anthony Levine

Bubble: Brynden Trawick, Omar Brown

Out:

I think the first 4 are pretty much locks.  I gave Levine a roster spot based on his ST ability, but I think that spot could easily go to Trawick or Brown, a 6th CB, or a 6th WR.

Special Teams (3):

In: Justin Tucker, Sam Koch, Morgan Cox

Bubble: Richie Leone

Out:

I think we continue with the consistency of Koch despite a down year.  Leone is said to be boom or bust, and I'm not sure that we go with him with Harbaugh's emphasis on ST.  I won't write him off, but I think Koch is safe for one more year.

#20 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

scroll down about three or four posts....

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users