Ausman

Why do the Ravens always Settle for less?

70 posts in this topic

I would like to make a few points here in regards to the Ravens settling for less.

1). The AnQuan Boldin Trade:

The 49ers clearly robbed us and got the better end of the deal! A measly 6th round pick are you kidding me? Why didn't we get a 2nd and 3rd rounder? That should have been the trade. The 6th round pick we got has not fared out and I don't want to mention his name cause I don't want to call people out. Without AnQuan Boldin we would have not won a Superbowl and becuase of his value to us we should have gotten a 6th round pick.

2). The difference between a one time Champion and a Dynasty:

The difference between a team that wins a championship every decade vs. a Dynasty is that Dynasties are willing to get Greedy and the regualr champions will settle for less.

I'm by no means telling Ozzie how to do his job but we got a shot at being a Dynsaty and Ozzie needs to go for it. So yes I am asking if he can get a little more greedy an aggressive when dealing players. As the great Gordon Gekko says it: "Greed is Good".

1). If we have to trade one of our best players due to cap limits, we should accept nothing less than a 2nd round pick and 3rd rounder. Preferrably a 1st rounder if we can get it.

2). Get contract extensions done sooner instead of letting them play it out and letting their prices go up. (Torrey and Jimmy for example)

3). Never ever settle for less in a trade make sure it's a win-win and not a get the wrong side of the deal!

Gordon Gekko also served 8 years in prison for insider trading and security fraud. And got a crappy sequel with Shia lawhine.

1. If anyone offered more for Q. We WOULDVE TAKEN IT. A 6th rounder is better than nothing

2. A dynasty is NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

We didn't repeat! Wah! Wah! Wah! Boo freakity hoo. We went 8-8 and are "a league worst". We are "rebuilding".

Um. If I recall, we basically traded a 7th rounder for a 6th rounder. That's not settling for less. We got a starting center for a 6th. And traded a 4th, 5th, and 6th for a FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE.

Yeah. We got something for Boldin. If anyone would offered more, we would've take it. It was better than cutting him

Edited by SecretAgentMan

I would like to make a few points here in regards to the Ravens settling for less.

The 49ers clearly robbed us and got the better end of the deal! A measly 6th round pick are you kidding me? Why didn't we get a 2nd and 3rd rounder? That should have been the trade. The 6th round pick we got has not fared out and I don't want to mention his name cause I don't want to call people out. Without AnQuan Boldin we would have not won a Superbowl and becuase of his value to us we should have gotten a 6th round pick.

The difference between a team that wins a championship every decade vs. a Dynasty is that Dynasties are willing to get Greedy and the regualr champions will settle for less.

I'm by no means telling Ozzie how to do his job but we got a shot at being a Dynsaty and Ozzie needs to go for it. So yes I am asking if he can get a little more greedy an aggressive when dealing players. As the great Gordon Gekko says it: "Greed is Good".

1). If we have to trade one of our best players due to cap limits, we should accept nothing less than a 2nd round pick and 3rd rounder. Preferrably a 1st rounder if we can get it.

2). Get contract extensions done sooner instead of letting them play it out and letting their prices go up. (Torrey and Jimmy for example)

3). Never ever settle for less in a trade make sure it's a win-win and not a get the wrong side of the deal!

1. No team in the NFL would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a 31 year old Boldin that costs 7 million. Period.

2. Don't even get what you're trying to say here, sorry.

1) That's not how the league works. That just plain does not work.

2) In most cases, they try to get them done sooner. Takes two to make a signing though and that's the critical part you're forgetting.

3) When have we gotten on the wrong side of the deal?

So why do the Ravens always settle for less? Well, they don't.

Edited by The Raven

Oh, and also, what team in their right mind would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a player that was going to be cut if we couldn't trade him?  We got something rather than nothing.

1. No team in the NFL would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a 31 year old Boldin that costs 7 million. Period.

2. Don't even get what you're trying to say here, sorry.

1) That's not how the league works. That just plain does not work.

2) In most cases, they try to get them done sooner. Takes two to make a signing though and that's the critical part you're forgetting.

3) When have we gotten on the wrong side of the deal?

So why do the Ravens always settle for less? Well, they don't.

3) Lee Evans. Other than that...nada

It takes a team to offer a 2nd and 3rd to get that deal done.  The highest offer was a 6th.  We took the higher offer.  Is it really that difficult to understand?  It wasn't a case of us having a better offer, and accepting a lower one just for the hell of it.  It doesn't work that way.

Oh, and also, what team in their right mind would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a player that was going to be cut if we couldn't trade him?  We got something rather than nothing.

I think his point was that we shouldn't have gotten rid of him at all if we couldn't get what we would consider fair value.It ties into the whole "settling for less" mentality he's talking about.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS

Everybody in the NFL knew how valuable Q was to the Ravens. Why shouldn't we have gotten a 2nd rounder at least?

Everybody in the NFL knew how valuable Q was to the Ravens. Why shouldn't we have gotten a 2nd rounder at least?

Because he's over 30 and the team had to take on $6M.

I really shouldnt post here but,,,,

On the subject of dynasties.

List for me how many teams have made six consecutive playoff appearances.....

See some teams hit it big and then fizzle to nothing for four or five years.  The Ravens maintain by spending smart and investing well.  Being a dynasty is not a sprint but a marathon.

i just made a thread about how the fanbase generally is over the emotional part of the boldin trade, and realizes that it was a smart move, and a clutch move that we made in a pinch. we keep boldin for 1 year, and dont get doom, and dont get canty which leads to ngata cody tyson and jones as our only DLineman. we probably dont get daryl smith so we end up with mclellan and josh bynes as our starting ILB's, we also wont be able to make the monroe trade because mckinnie was under contract and we wouldnt have the space to pick up monroes. 

we are fielding special teamers as starters all over our defense, we have no franchise LT, which we have searched for for years. 

nobody expected pitta to go down, or jacoby, if that doesnt happen, then we have a go to security blanket for flacco, pitta and boldin play the same exact role, same playstyle, except pitta is slightly less strong but much bigger and much more athletic with much more consistent hands, people also seem to forget about boldins cases of the dropsies, he has had quite a few head scratching drops with us. in the long run, pitta is younger, has a better chemistry with joe, and in the long run will probably be much more productive than boldin ever could have been for us. 

please people, get over your emotions and look at more than just highlights of our best players, actually learn something about the workings of your franchise, you cant get away with posting rants on these boards if you arent up to date with our front office activity and know what youre posting about.

he was going to be cut, nobody was going to offer more than what we got for him, matter of fact i dont even think we were being offered anything by anybody else. we decline that trade, and we cut him and get nothing.

he was going to be cut, nobody was going to offer more than what we got for him, matter of fact i dont even think we were being offered anything by anybody else. we decline that trade, and we cut him and get nothing.

I believe it was reported at the time that we had 3 total offers, the 6th from SF due to their insane plethora of picks each and every year, and the 2 other teams (which I can't recall) both offered a 7th.  We took what we could get instead of getting nothing.  If he was worth more than a 6th, we would have gotten more than a 6th.

A 31 year old WR with 6 mil on the cap and one year on his contract(so basically a 1 year rental) is not worth a 3rd round pick.

What's up with all the Boldin threads. This isn't 2013.

But.. But.. It's Q. He's > Jerry Rice Man. And we let him go for a SIXTH ROUND PICK(technically we traded that pick for a higher second rounder)

Gordon Gekko also served 8 years in prison for insider trading and security fraud. And got a crappy sequel with Shia lawhine.

1. If anyone offered more for Q. We WOULDVE TAKEN IT. A 6th rounder is better than nothing

2. A dynasty is NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

We didn't repeat! Wah! Wah! Wah! Boo freakity hoo. We went 8-8 and are "a league worst". We are "rebuilding".

Um. If I recall, we basically traded a 7th rounder for a 6th rounder. That's not settling for less. We got a starting center for a 6th. And traded a 4th, 5th, and 6th for a FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE.

Yeah. We got something for Boldin. If anyone would offered more, we would've take it. It was better than cutting him

We could have gotten more for Boldin he just came off a great playoff run and was a huge reason we won the superbowl. I find it hard to believe that out of 31 teams a 6th rounder is the best we could get. I don't think wer'e settling for less like the OP but a 6th for Q was bull.

We could have gotten more for Boldin he just came off a great playoff run and was a huge reason we won the superbowl. I find it hard to believe that out of 31 teams a 6th rounder is the best we could get. I don't think wer'e settling for less like the OP but a 6th for Q was bull.

You're forgetting the nearly 7 million dollar salary..

Thats fair I wasn't really considering that.

31 year old that's not an elite WR is not worth that money. Thanks H8R for shortening it. 

31 year old that's not an elite WR is not worth that money. Thanks H8R for shortening it. 

The rookie got put in his place by the hall of famer :(

Edited by busterblue52

The rookie got put in his place by the hall of famer :(

Haha. Welcome to the Boards. You'll fit right in. Another Cali raven fan does us well(I live in San Fran).  

Lol. You guys. Hey, Marlon Brown scored the same amount of TD's as Boldin. Granted , Marlon didn't have 1100 yards... But he didn't have the chance for 85 catches either. I'm not saying Marlon is better than Q... By no means. I'm just pointing out that some of Q's production WAS replaced with a cheaper ... FAR cheaper option. : )

I loved Q. I love that we spend to the cap and build through the draft. I love that our players that leave get big pay days we can't afford.

Q was a productive player near the end of his career. He had a big 1-yr check. Who gives up a 1st or 2nd for that? The demand just wasn't there and the supply was so dry to push it there either. We run the offseason as well as anyone. Don't worry.

I doubt we could. It was a win win. Boldin went to a contender and we got something in return for a player we were going to release anyway..

He also got all his money

Edited by redrum52

Lol. You guys. Hey, Marlon Brown scored the same amount of TD's as Boldin. Granted , Marlon didn't have 1100 yards... But he didn't have the chance for 85 catches either. I'm not saying Marlon is better than Q... By no means. I'm just pointing out that some of Q's production WAS replaced with a cheaper ... FAR cheaper option. : )

You really need to compare Boldins production with us and he never got 1000 yards.

hey hey now i made one, but i wasnt talking about how we should have kept him, i was doing it to see how the boards look at the trade a year later, because i saw it as a smart move, and i thought most of the boards thought otherwise, i was surprised to see most agree with me lol

In order to form a dynasty you need a franchise QB and you have to continually have great drafts (giving you good cheap young talent). We have the first, but not the 2nd at all. We haven't even had a good draft in like 6 years so it's actually actually pretty amazing we've done this well considering that. I just don't get what building a dynasty has to do with Ozzie being greedy though. And how he hadn't been aggressive enougj

Ravens fans are like that guy who can't get over his ex.

like i said in the other boldin thread.

fans either cant/refuse to understand what the Cap is and how it affects the bussiness side of a team.

Um...what? You find it hard to believe a 6th is the best we could get? Because that WAS the best we could get. What do you think some other team offered a 3rd rounder and the Ravens said... nah let's give him to John's brother... come on. People forget the Ravens tried to keep him by restructuring and Q said no. At the time, the money spent elsewhere looked like OK moves but they didn't pan out. Would I have kept Boldin? Yeah, I would have found a way to make the deal. But do I understand where the Ravens were at when they made the decision? Yeah, I understand that too.

People, People, People...

i'm not dweling on the Past Boldin trade. my main point is : "In the Future" do Not settle for less.

Ending up with a Franchise Left Tackle (Monroe) and a great Replacement for Ray (D. Smith) and Marlon's production is Awesome but we can Not count on this type of scenario happening again.

What Ozzie ended up doing was that he just turned a losing position into a Winning one and thank God we didn't keep that 6th rounder. He cut his losses and made turned them into Monroe, Dumervil , and D. Smith.

And in the end we ended up screwing the Jaguars by taking 2 of their best players. if one team screws us than we should screw another team ,which we shoudl still do in the future.

Maybe I need to make my points clearer in my topic post...

Ravens fans are like that guy who can't get over his ex.

SMH...  Boldin probably comes to these boards and cracks up....  But, I hate to say that I agree...  it's crazy....  Time to move on folks.  I mean I know it's the offseason, but we are reverting back to stuff like "Do we miss Boldin?...  and now we're discussing it again with the whole Ravens settle for less thing....

Because the entire league knew we would cut him if we couldn't trade him. He wasn't going to be a Raven after he refused to extend his contract. No matter how valuable you think he was, he wasn't worth that price tag he was carrying. It would have been different if he was catching 100 balls a year, but he wasn't. I didn't like seeing him go either, but I knew it was coming.

I would seriously question the mental health of the other team if they gave us more than a 5th for Q. He's on the wrong side of 30, slow, and wasn't the most impressive (not bad tho) outside the SB run. He cap space was huge compared to his actual production. It was take the 6th round pick or cut Q and get absolutely nothing as well as more money againist our cap. Second, even dynasty rarely repeat and 8-8 is still not a good year but a mediocre.We will be good this year, i hope.

In order to form a dynasty you need a franchise QB and you have to continually have great drafts (giving you good cheap young talent). We have the first, but not the 2nd at all. We haven't even had a good draft in like 6 years so it's actually actually pretty amazing we've done this well considering that. I just don't get what building a dynasty has to do with Ozzie being greedy though. And how he hadn't been aggressive enougj

We haven't had a great draft since 2008, but to say we haven't had a good draft is a little crazy. We got torrey and jimmy in 2011. 

We haven't had a great draft since 2008, but to say we haven't had a good draft is a little crazy. We got torrey and jimmy in 2011.

Yeah other than that one. Still wasn't great tho

Yeah other than that one. Still wasn't great tho

Wasn't great but was very good. All of our drafts feature some solid starters and lots of depth, just like most drafts our. But we did hit gold a good bit with later picks in Webb, Jones, and Pitta.

Edited by ravensnick

I really shouldnt post here but,,,,

On the subject of dynasties.

List for me how many teams have made six consecutive playoff appearances.....

See some teams hit it big and then fizzle to nothing for four or five years.  The Ravens maintain by spending smart and investing well.  Being a dynasty is not a sprint but a marathon.

Mr K-Dog,,,I agree with what you are saying.I think we could have possibly gotten a 5th for him,, I do not think he is just speaking of boldin,,but what he is speaking of is how other teams are so aggressive ie; denver,,, atl they  made a bold move by trading away it all for julio jones(a move I would not make),I do look at us as being a possible dynasty but we need a major move,don't get me wrong I love our moves and how we do operate,depth and finding hidden gems are always a plus,next year draft I hope we trade up and get that impact player,, it is time to stop worrying about comp pics we need to do what we need to do,,,what do you think and you what are your thoughts on being more aggressive and making bold moves,,,    

Building a complete team can take YEARS, as we have all seen.  Most teams are lucky to get one or two great players a year.

Mr K-Dog,,,I agree with what you are saying.I think we could have possibly gotten a 5th for him,, I do not think he is just speaking of boldin,,but what he is speaking of is how other teams are so aggressive ie; denver,,, atl they  made a bold move by trading away it all for julio jones(a move I would not make),I do look at us as being a possible dynasty but we need a major move,don't get me wrong I love our moves and how we do operate,depth and finding hidden gems are always a plus,next year draft I hope we trade up and get that impact player,, it is time to stop worrying about comp pics we need to do what we need to do,,,what do you think and you what are your thoughts on being more aggressive and making bold moves,,,    

I love what we have done this offseason, and nobody in the national media has even given it a sniff of attention...  I can't wait for football.

Mr. K-Dog !??!!?  Thats my Dad.  :P  No just kidding.

Okay Denver is a great example.Talk to me about Denver 2008 to present.   Now lets watch Denver for ,,,, say the next six years.  I will betcha' a dollar in that 12 year span Baltimore will have a better over all record and more play off appearances.

I guess the question is which team is better?   The team that maintains a high level  with many many wins over time and a the occasional SB victory, or the team that peaks and then plummets with a few wins and a few SB wins in a short time but over all more losses than wins ?

We were gonna let Boldin walk and everyone knew it, we either get a 6th rounder or nothing.

It doesn't freaking matter how valuable he was to us. What matters is how valuable he is to them.

It doesn't freaking matter how valuable he was to us. What matters is how valuable he is to them.

We got what we could for him. He was going to walk anyways. He was not getting 6M a year from us. Better to get something than nothing.

Why fix what isn't broken? You look at teams like the Broncos and Falcons making bold moves but what has it really gotten them? And also you look at their necessity to make said bold moves. Peyton is nearing the end of his career and the Broncos know that without him chances are that team won't nearly be as good. So they are looking to surround that team with as much talent as possible to hopefully ensure getting over the SB hump. The Falcons made the Julio move in hopes of catching the Saints and other teams like the Packers in the NFC. They felt the necessity to made that bold move because they had to chase the bigger fish. On the other hand the Ravens have consistently been one of the bigger fish in the AFC. The Ravens have consistently shown they are capable of beating the "teams to beat" in the AFC so there isn't much of a need to break away from their philosophy and start making bold moves that historically never seem to work out as well as teams hope.

Most times Bold moves are meant to be short term, in hopes to win a SB in a 1-3 year span. The Ravens generally build for longevity. You have to truly weight the risk vs reward for big splash moves like other teams make. For the Ravens a move like Steve Smith or Elvis Dumervile is a splash, but it's still done in a smart team building way. If both Smith and Doom commanded big money or we decided to keep Boldin, what do we lose in return. As much as we missed Q last year, missing him wasn't the biggest issue we had. It was poor oline play. So if we make a Bold move like you suggest and say we traded away most of our draft to move up for a stud, are you willing to make that move up if it means not being able to acquire Monroe and relying on Oher as your Franchise LT?

If we give out big money for a guy like NIcks who was the prize WR this year, or made a big trade for DJax, are you willing to run the risk of maybe not being able to upgrade the oline like we think we've done this year? Are you willing to run the risk of maybe having to choose between upgrading the oline or signing Pitta long term? In that case which would you choose?

Also think of it this way, we are so good at drafting that we have made a lot of Bold moves, they have just come from in house. If Webb was drafted by another team and we gave him the same big contract we did a couple years ago, is that not viewed as a big FA move? If Ngata and Suggs were drafted by other teams and we signed those guys in FA would they not be viewed as Big deals? How about Flacco, Rice and Yanda?

The Ravens are as close to building a Dynasty as any other team in the NFL and even more so then the Pats and Broncos imo.

The 49ers clearly robbed us and got the better end of the deal!

Really?  I stopped reading after this!  Q is gone man!  This will be our second season without him and you cats that keep harping on this trade need to let it and him gooooooo!  He's gone!  He's happy to be a 49er.  You cats need to move on cause Q did!  Sheesh!  Smh!

#Mili