Schedule      Roster     

Photo

Why do the Ravens always Settle for less?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Ausman

Ausman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I would like to make a few points here in regards to the Ravens settling for less.

1). The AnQuan Boldin Trade:

The 49ers clearly robbed us and got the better end of the deal! A measly 6th round pick are you kidding me? Why didn't we get a 2nd and 3rd rounder? That should have been the trade. The 6th round pick we got has not fared out and I don't want to mention his name cause I don't want to call people out. Without AnQuan Boldin we would have not won a Superbowl and becuase of his value to us we should have gotten a 6th round pick.

2). The difference between a one time Champion and a Dynasty:

The difference between a team that wins a championship every decade vs. a Dynasty is that Dynasties are willing to get Greedy and the regualr champions will settle for less.

I'm by no means telling Ozzie how to do his job but we got a shot at being a Dynsaty and Ozzie needs to go for it. So yes I am asking if he can get a little more greedy an aggressive when dealing players. As the great Gordon Gekko says it: "Greed is Good".

1). If we have to trade one of our best players due to cap limits, we should accept nothing less than a 2nd round pick and 3rd rounder. Preferrably a 1st rounder if we can get it.

2). Get contract extensions done sooner instead of letting them play it out and letting their prices go up. (Torrey and Jimmy for example)

3). Never ever settle for less in a trade make sure it's a win-win and not a get the wrong side of the deal!

#2 Drew P

Drew P

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

With two Lombardi's in the trophy case you should be thrilled to be a fan

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Gordon Gekko also served 8 years in prison for insider trading and security fraud. And got a crappy sequel with Shia lawhine.

1. If anyone offered more for Q. We WOULDVE TAKEN IT. A 6th rounder is better than nothing

2. A dynasty is NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

We didn't repeat! Wah! Wah! Wah! Boo freakity hoo. We went 8-8 and are "a league worst". We are "rebuilding".

Um. If I recall, we basically traded a 7th rounder for a 6th rounder. That's not settling for less. We got a starting center for a 6th. And traded a 4th, 5th, and 6th for a FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE.

Yeah. We got something for Boldin. If anyone would offered more, we would've take it. It was better than cutting him

Edited by SecretAgentMan, 02 July 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

I would like to make a few points here in regards to the Ravens settling for less.

1). The AnQuan Boldin Trade:

The 49ers clearly robbed us and got the better end of the deal! A measly 6th round pick are you kidding me? Why didn't we get a 2nd and 3rd rounder? That should have been the trade. The 6th round pick we got has not fared out and I don't want to mention his name cause I don't want to call people out. Without AnQuan Boldin we would have not won a Superbowl and becuase of his value to us we should have gotten a 6th round pick.

2). The difference between a one time Champion and a Dynasty:

The difference between a team that wins a championship every decade vs. a Dynasty is that Dynasties are willing to get Greedy and the regualr champions will settle for less.

I'm by no means telling Ozzie how to do his job but we got a shot at being a Dynsaty and Ozzie needs to go for it. So yes I am asking if he can get a little more greedy an aggressive when dealing players. As the great Gordon Gekko says it: "Greed is Good".

1). If we have to trade one of our best players due to cap limits, we should accept nothing less than a 2nd round pick and 3rd rounder. Preferrably a 1st rounder if we can get it.

2). Get contract extensions done sooner instead of letting them play it out and letting their prices go up. (Torrey and Jimmy for example)

3). Never ever settle for less in a trade make sure it's a win-win and not a get the wrong side of the deal!

1. No team in the NFL would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a 31 year old Boldin that costs 7 million. Period.

2. Don't even get what you're trying to say here, sorry.

1) That's not how the league works. That just plain does not work.

2) In most cases, they try to get them done sooner. Takes two to make a signing though and that's the critical part you're forgetting.

3) When have we gotten on the wrong side of the deal?

So why do the Ravens always settle for less? Well, they don't.

Edited by The Raven, 02 July 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

Oh, and also, what team in their right mind would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a player that was going to be cut if we couldn't trade him?  We got something rather than nothing.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#6 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

1. No team in the NFL would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a 31 year old Boldin that costs 7 million. Period.

2. Don't even get what you're trying to say here, sorry.

1) That's not how the league works. That just plain does not work.

2) In most cases, they try to get them done sooner. Takes two to make a signing though and that's the critical part you're forgetting.

3) When have we gotten on the wrong side of the deal?

So why do the Ravens always settle for less? Well, they don't.

3) Lee Evans. Other than that...nada
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#7 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

It takes a team to offer a 2nd and 3rd to get that deal done.  The highest offer was a 6th.  We took the higher offer.  Is it really that difficult to understand?  It wasn't a case of us having a better offer, and accepting a lower one just for the hell of it.  It doesn't work that way.

Oh, and also, what team in their right mind would give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a player that was going to be cut if we couldn't trade him?  We got something rather than nothing.

I think his point was that we shouldn't have gotten rid of him at all if we couldn't get what we would consider fair value.It ties into the whole "settling for less" mentality he's talking about.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 02 July 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#8 Ausman

Ausman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Everybody in the NFL knew how valuable Q was to the Ravens. Why shouldn't we have gotten a 2nd rounder at least?

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

Everybody in the NFL knew how valuable Q was to the Ravens. Why shouldn't we have gotten a 2nd rounder at least?

Because he's over 30 and the team had to take on $6M.

#10 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

I really shouldnt post here but,,,,

On the subject of dynasties.

List for me how many teams have made six consecutive playoff appearances.....

See some teams hit it big and then fizzle to nothing for four or five years.  The Ravens maintain by spending smart and investing well.  Being a dynasty is not a sprint but a marathon.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#11 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

i just made a thread about how the fanbase generally is over the emotional part of the boldin trade, and realizes that it was a smart move, and a clutch move that we made in a pinch. we keep boldin for 1 year, and dont get doom, and dont get canty which leads to ngata cody tyson and jones as our only DLineman. we probably dont get daryl smith so we end up with mclellan and josh bynes as our starting ILB's, we also wont be able to make the monroe trade because mckinnie was under contract and we wouldnt have the space to pick up monroes. 

we are fielding special teamers as starters all over our defense, we have no franchise LT, which we have searched for for years. 

nobody expected pitta to go down, or jacoby, if that doesnt happen, then we have a go to security blanket for flacco, pitta and boldin play the same exact role, same playstyle, except pitta is slightly less strong but much bigger and much more athletic with much more consistent hands, people also seem to forget about boldins cases of the dropsies, he has had quite a few head scratching drops with us. in the long run, pitta is younger, has a better chemistry with joe, and in the long run will probably be much more productive than boldin ever could have been for us. 

please people, get over your emotions and look at more than just highlights of our best players, actually learn something about the workings of your franchise, you cant get away with posting rants on these boards if you arent up to date with our front office activity and know what youre posting about.

#12 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

he was going to be cut, nobody was going to offer more than what we got for him, matter of fact i dont even think we were being offered anything by anybody else. we decline that trade, and we cut him and get nothing.

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

he was going to be cut, nobody was going to offer more than what we got for him, matter of fact i dont even think we were being offered anything by anybody else. we decline that trade, and we cut him and get nothing.

I believe it was reported at the time that we had 3 total offers, the 6th from SF due to their insane plethora of picks each and every year, and the 2 other teams (which I can't recall) both offered a 7th.  We took what we could get instead of getting nothing.  If he was worth more than a 6th, we would have gotten more than a 6th.

#14 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

A 31 year old WR with 6 mil on the cap and one year on his contract(so basically a 1 year rental) is not worth a 3rd round pick.

In Ozzie We Trust

#15 Florida Ravens Fan

Florida Ravens Fan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

SMH... still talking about Boldin... Get over it already!
Posted Image

#16 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

What's up with all the Boldin threads. This isn't 2013.

#17 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

What's up with all the Boldin threads. This isn't 2013.

But.. But.. It's Q. He's > Jerry Rice Man. And we let him go for a SIXTH ROUND PICK(technically we traded that pick for a higher second rounder)

#18 busterblue52

busterblue52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Gordon Gekko also served 8 years in prison for insider trading and security fraud. And got a crappy sequel with Shia lawhine.

1. If anyone offered more for Q. We WOULDVE TAKEN IT. A 6th rounder is better than nothing

2. A dynasty is NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

We didn't repeat! Wah! Wah! Wah! Boo freakity hoo. We went 8-8 and are "a league worst". We are "rebuilding".

Um. If I recall, we basically traded a 7th rounder for a 6th rounder. That's not settling for less. We got a starting center for a 6th. And traded a 4th, 5th, and 6th for a FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE.

Yeah. We got something for Boldin. If anyone would offered more, we would've take it. It was better than cutting him

We could have gotten more for Boldin he just came off a great playoff run and was a huge reason we won the superbowl. I find it hard to believe that out of 31 teams a 6th rounder is the best we could get. I don't think wer'e settling for less like the OP but a 6th for Q was bull.

#19 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

We could have gotten more for Boldin he just came off a great playoff run and was a huge reason we won the superbowl. I find it hard to believe that out of 31 teams a 6th rounder is the best we could get. I don't think wer'e settling for less like the OP but a 6th for Q was bull.

You're forgetting the nearly 7 million dollar salary..

#20 busterblue52

busterblue52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

You're forgetting the nearly 7 million dollar salary..

Thats fair I wasn't really considering that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users