Photo

This weeks Flock Mailbag: Dennis Pitta, Jimmy Smith, John Simon...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:17 AM

I just watched this weeks mailbag, and I thought some interesting topics were brought up:

Will Dennis Pitta or Owen Daniels have more TDs:

To me the obvious answer is Pitta. He has a great connection with Flacco and Kubiak loves to feature the TE. I think Pitta is due to have a huge season. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with 70+ receptions and close to 1000 yards 8TDs. Daniels is likely to have big role too, but I think he will be the clear 2nd option at TE.

Who leads the Ravens in interceptions:

Ryan Mink gave the nod to Jimmy Smith as he has come out and talked about how he wants to focus on making more interceptions. I have long been a big fan of Jimmy Smith and I think he will have a big year. However, I am a bit worried about him thinking too much about notching INTs. I want him to be a great CB, and I believe he has the talent to get there, but he needs to make sure he is first doing his part to make sure opposing WRs don't beat him. The interceptions will come.

What will John Simon's role on the defense be: 

I think this is a very interesting question. I was intrigued by this draft pick and I do think Simon has potential at OLB. I would like to see him blossom into a bigger role for the Ravens as they have been a bit punchless when Suggs and/or Dumervil have been off the field. I hope he carves out a role on the defense and is able to notch 3-4 sacks as a reserve OLB.

@gabefergy

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,443 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Pitta will definitely get the lead in TDs, barring injury.

I don't think Jimmy leads in picks. I could be wrong here, but he doesn't really break on the ball well, and his strength is all about shadowing the WR. I'd like for him to get picks but I don't think he'll lead. I think Webb leads.

I'm very interested in John Simon's role on the team. He was buried deep in the depth chart last year, and he may also be buried this year. I love him on ST's, and I think he did well in the few times he made it on the field for D. I really want to see him do well, but I don't know when he'll find an opportunity. 

#3 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

I think Pitta will have more TD's than Owen, but it may be closer than people think. Depending on how we use both, I wouldn't be surprised if Pitta has around 7 and Owen has around 5.

I'm going out on a "wildcard" selection and saying that Matt Elam will lead the team in interceptions. Supposedly he's looking real good this offseason, and I expect him to be much more comfortable playing safety in the NFL his second year. With Webb and Smith covering the corners, I'm predicting that Elam will make some plays on overthrows, deflections, etc. (brings back memories of you know who). 

I have the same opinion on John Simon. I hope that he can contribute this year in limited snaps, but in order for him to do so, he will have to play very well when on the field. Would love to see him make plays this year and eventually develop into a reliable OLB in a few years.

#4 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Pitta is my guess although Daniels should get involved as well, I think Gilmore could be a wild card but I don't see him having much impact yet.

I am going to go Elam as well. Smith doesn't seem like a CB who gets a bunch of INTs to me, maybe he does this year but I just don't see it with him. Webb might but I don't know if he will either. I think both of those guys get a couple but I don't see them taking any unnecessary risks considering our back end is a bit of a question mark at FS. Brooks is good but he did have some dropped ones in college and I don't know how early he starts, Stewart is good but I don't see him putting up any great numbers in terms of INTs. I think Elam is going to be used underneath a lot more as a roamer type guy and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him starting to make plays, INTs included. 

Hopefully we get Simon and McPhee some playing time to keep Suggs and Doom fresh for the playoffs. McPhee showed some flashes last year and I am intrigued to see him this year, wouldn't be surprised if he has a big year(nothing crazy, just pops up on the radar a bit more, maybe 5 or 6 sacks). Simon is a guy who I could see getting some playing time as well although I don't know how much he gets yet. I think we see him on the field a bit but I don't know if it is anything significant, just a few snaps here and there.

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users