Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ausman

Trading for Eric Berry a possibility?

111 posts in this topic

So far I haven't heard any rave review on Terrence Brooks and he doesn't seem to be standing out.

Darian Stewart is nothing more than a rental at this point.

One season will tell where we are really at with the filling a huge viod that Ed Reed has left.

With that said, if Stewart and Brooks turn out to be Busts what are the other options at free safety?

I really don't think we should start over and draft another safety.

I think we have to resources to initiate a trade.

Such as Eric Berry from the Chiefs. In my mind he is Ed Reed in his early career with his hits and coverage ability.

Would it be worth a shot trading for Eric Berry for a 1st rounder and Lardrius Webb?

We can make Jimmy our #1 Corner and we can sign Brandon Flowers to be our 2nd CB.

Edit

** Okay then let's take Webb of the deal than! Just a 1st rounder for Eric Berry Than? **

a first rounder and a ballhawking corner with the versatility to cover the slot better than anyone in the league for a FS with a injury history a mile long? yeahh ill pass. not only is a versatile weapon at CB like webb hard to find, but were trading a player that is just as good at a more important position, for someone who has the same problem, injuries, PLUS a first rounder. eric berrys asking price honestly shouldnt be more than a 2nd rounder. 

CB >>>> FS in terms of importance, with average corners and good safeties, your D is going to suffer and get dinked and dunked down the field, with good corners and average safeties, those corners will make your safeties look better. 

not to mention, webb could play FS in a pinch, and it has been long debated that if he loses a step in his later years that we will possibly move him there, a move i would agree with, only if cant continue to be an important piece at CB

Um...no.

Ridiculous trade scenario there, Berry plays SS, Berry has a massive cap hit and will want more when his contract is up, and that is some serious impatience with Brooks.

But don't you all realize that Brooks is supposed to look just like a Pro Bowler in his first OTA's??

Or we could just move Webb to free safety?

Just kidding, that's a terrible idea. I just wanted to be the millionth person to suggest it.

a first rounder and a ballhawking corner with the versatility to cover the slot better than anyone in the league for a FS with a injury history a mile long? yeahh ill pass. not only is a versatile weapon at CB like webb hard to find, but were trading a player that is just as good at a more important position, for someone who has the same problem, injuries, PLUS a first rounder. eric berrys asking price honestly shouldnt be more than a 2nd rounder. 

CB >>>> FS in terms of importance, with average corners and good safeties, your D is going to suffer and get dinked and dunked down the field, with good corners and average safeties, those corners will make your safeties look better. 

But if you don't have good safeties all teams gotta do is throw deep on us and we are beat! Aaron Rodgers, Josh (Vanilla Ice) McCown, Peyton Manning, and Even EJ Manuel beat us that way, which cost us our trip to the playoffs.

No 1st for Berry either. How about we give Brooks a chance instead?

Leeeeetsss seeeee..... If we get beat on the deep ball 10 times this season then we have a problem. I'm really scared about being beaten with the deep ball this upcoming season like last year!

Leeeeetsss seeeee..... If we get beat on the deep ball 10 times this season then we have a problem. I'm really scared about being beaten with the deep ball this upcoming season like last year!

oooooooorrrrrr.....maybe Brooks shows everyone was right about him being a great prospect. Can't believe I got sucked into this...

oooooooorrrrrr.....maybe Brooks shows everyone was right about him being a great prospect. Can't believe I got sucked into this...

I'm just thinking worst case scenario!

1st round and L.Webb for a safety...

I'll pass.

Read my edits I took Webb off the Deal table and just asked for a 1st rounder.

Remember when Eric Berry was supposed to be the next Ed Reed? right draft, wrong player.

He can play! But he hits harder than Ed ever did!

I'm just thinking worst case scenario!

Well, ignoring the obvious flaw with that, you said that you dont want to start over and draft another safety. But that's essentially what you are doing by trading a 1st for Berry.

than that wasnt an average safety, that was a bad safety, if you have flat out bad players at any position it will show, but an average safety should at least be able to maintain over the top help on deep balls, especially when you have corners like jimmy smith who keeps any receiver from hitting their stride, and webb who(when healthy) can run with just about any receiver out there. 

the difference between a good/great safety and an average safety, in my opinion, is play recognition, and an ability to bait receivers and qb's by simply outsmarting them. When you have corners like us, then that kind of safety is a luxury, it would be nice to have, but giving up our #2 corner for one would be unwise, if stewart/brooks play decent, then we are sitting pretty as a secondary, we have 2 corners most teams would remortgage their stadiums for, so if our FS's cant sit deep and make sure nobody runs right past them, then we have flat out bad safeties, i dont think this is going to be the case.

Well, ignoring the obvious flaw with that, you said that you dont want to start over and draft another safety. But that's essentially what you are doing by trading a 1st for Berry.

Because Bery is already devloped starting over I meant developing a player, which will take at least 3 years to do so. I want a safety ready to play now!

Eric Berry is not a young Ed Reed lol .. Reed was far superior at a comparable age. That being said .. Love the player, hate the cap hit (that we'd have a hard time fitting in), I'd have to pass. 

Maybe i'm wrong but I don't remember us being beat deep often last year.

Are we really milking this joke still?

Insert deal with it gif of your choice here...

He can play! But he hits harder than Ed ever did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHskN5a80QE

This video disagrees...

Sorry that it is such a common song on youtube videos and the quality but this was the best video I saw of Reed's hits, enjoy