Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeyFlex5

Defensive ranking projections?

75 posts in this topic

What do you expect defensive rankings to look like this year and where do we fit in?

I'm going with:

1. SF

2. Sea

3. Car

4. Undecided between us, Stl, And Cle.

Pitt May even be pushing themselves back into the top 5 if the secondary performs well.

Carolina wont finish top 5. Bucs will be improved as will every geam in their division offensively. Their secondary is still weak and their offense will probably be worse, keeping their defense on the field more. Could see the Bengals making top 5 or us if our offense plays up to par. Have to see injuries and final rosters.

I think the best defenses on paper are

1. Seattle

2. SF

3. Cincinatti

4. Buffalo

5. Denver

6. St. Louis

7. Carolina

8. Baltimore

9. Arizona

10. Cleveland

Ravens will be the number one defence in Baltimore.

Bet on it!

The problem is Suggs and Ngata getting injured halfway through every season. If there were no such thing as injuries, we could have the best defense, or at least top 3.

Jimmy and Webb are one of the best CB duos.

Elam should play great as the new leader of the secondary and at SS, his true position.

Mosley, Smith and Brown could maybe the best group of 3 ILBs in the league (albeit based on the lofty OTA expectations for Brown)

Suggs and Doom are one of the league's top 5 or so best pass-rushing duos.

The defensive line is deep and looks great at rushing the passer. Upshaw, McPhee, Tyson, KLM and Jernigan all are proven players or exceeded expectations in minicamp/OTAs and they present a mix of pass-rushing and run-stopping stengths.

Overall, we've stacked the defense so they better perform well. The only questions are Darian Stewart at FS (although he's looked good so far) and Brandon Williams possibly at NT. Slot CB could be a question, but of the group we now have, I'm sure someone is adequate.

By the end of the season the Cardinals had the best defense I think. I was so impressed with them, so tough, so disciplined. I think they'll be top 5 for sure, probably top 3. Cleveland looks very solid, young and talented, probably top 5. The Jets could be a top 3 defense. We're gonna be right in that mix, I see us in the top 3 as well. But that's all just based on what we see on paper, speculation. We'll see what happens in the regular season.

After all that Ozzie invested in the defense, especially the draft, I'd be seriously disappointed with anything less than top 5.

Edited by PolishRifle

If our year 2 guys show up, this defense can really bring it to another level.   We were amazing for the 1st half of all the games last season.  We just didn't have enough young guys to replace the tired/exhausted vets after going 3&out for so long.  

With less turnover and more synchronisity I can see us vaulting into the top 10. Of course you got to watch out for the injury bug.

By the end of the season the Cardinals had the best defense I think. I was so impressed with them, so tough, so disciplined. I think they'll be top 5 for sure, probably top 3. Cleveland looks very solid, young and talented, probably top 5. The Jets could be a top 3 defense. We're gonna be right in that mix, I see us in the top 3 as well. But that's all just based on what we see on paper, speculation. We'll see what happens in the regular season.

i will admit that they totally slipped my mind and i think they belong in the top 10 projections without a doubt. the cardinals i mean, not so sure about the jets.

Edited by JoeyFlex5

Carolina wont finish top 5. Bucs will be improved as will every geam in their division offensively. Their secondary is still weak and their offense will probably be worse, keeping their defense on the field more. Could see the Bengals making top 5 or us if our offense plays up to par. Have to see injuries and final rosters.

good points but i still think their front 7 is just plain scary and i think it will be enough to put them up near the top, if not top 5 ill say definitely top 10.

1. Seattle

2. SF

3. Cincinatti

4. Buffalo

5. Denver

6. St. Louis

7. Carolina

8. Baltimore

9. Arizona

10. Cleveland

I don't agree with BUF that high, but then again, I do think they will surprise a lot of people this year. I think they'll be a top 10 defense

So tough to say, with all these young guys starting for us....

if Brandon Williams plays the way he is showing us right now what he is capable of, Elam progresses, and Mosely and Jernigan are as good as most of us think he is, this might be the best defense in football. We'd have the best front seven in the NFL, two shutdown CBs and an enforcer at SS.

But....what are the odds that at least one of those guys either disappoints us or gets hurt?

I do think there is ZERO excuse not to be top 5 this year, especially considering that our schedule is a little lighter than normal

Edited by flynismo

I don't agree with BUF that high, but then again, I do think they will surprise a lot of people this year. I think they'll be a top 10 defense

Buffalo is stacked defensively. Last year they were 10th overall and 4th against the pass. They had 57 sacks last and have a good young secondary. The only problem is stopping the run, but if they can become average in that area they should be very scary. Jim Schwartz is a good DC too.

Buffalo is stacked defensively. Last year they were 10th overall and 4th against the pass. They had 57 sacks last and have a good young secondary. The only problem is stopping the run, but if they can become average in that area they should be very scary. Jim Schwartz is a good DC too.

Mario Williams will be better as a 4-3 DE. Jarius Byrd may be missed however.

1. Seattle

2. SF

3. Cincinatti

4. Buffalo

5. Denver

6. St. Louis

7. Carolina

8. Baltimore

9. Arizona

10. Cleveland

I think the Bills will be top 10 but I don't see them up at #4, I think they will miss Byrd a bit on the back end although they should still be good, I just don't think they are going to be that good although I could be wrong. I also don't see Denver being in the top 10 even with their FA additions. Ward and Ware help but Talib is pretty much a wash at best for DRC considering the year that he had in Denver last year. Also the fact that other teams will be trying to keep up with the offense hurts a bit like it did last year. I think they will be better than last year but I don't see them as top 10. I do think the Patriots will be in the top 10 this year however. They have a good front 7 assuming Wilfork is healthy and Revis and Browner as well as McCourty on the back end. I think they will just sneak into the top 10.

As for the Ravens, I think they will be above average at least but they could be anywhere along that spectrum IMO. Too many question marks in the secondary right now but if we get good play there, I think the sky is the limit. 

I think the Bills will be top 10 but I don't see them up at #4, I think they will miss Byrd a bit on the back end although they should still be good, I just don't think they are going to be that good although I could be wrong. I also don't see Denver being in the top 10 even with their FA additions. Ward and Ware help but Talib is pretty much a wash at best for DRC considering the year that he had in Denver last year. Also the fact that other teams will be trying to keep up with the offense hurts a bit like it did last year. I think they will be better than last year but I don't see them as top 10. I do think the Patriots will be in the top 10 this year however. They have a good front 7 assuming Wilfork is healthy and Revis and Browner as well as McCourty on the back end. I think they will just sneak into the top 10.

As for the Ravens, I think they will be above average at least but they could be anywhere along that spectrum IMO. Too many question marks in the secondary right now but if we get good play there, I think the sky is the limit. 

Bills signed Spikes  and drafted Preston Brown to solidify the run defense . They will miss Byrd, but they played half the season without him last year and were still very good.

Denver is stacked up front with Ware and Von Miller if he can regain his pre-injury form, and a very impressive DL with Jackson, Knighton, and Williams. They brought in Ward to help their secondary and Talib is a top notch corner. They need Chris Harris to come back after injury, but they also drafted Roby in the first round who has lots of potential. I don't see a weakness in that defense.

The Patriots still don't have a reliable pass-rush IMO. Jones and Ninkovich are asked to play basically every snap and are not very productive on a per snap basis. Drafting Easley may help them up the middle, but both he and Wilfork are coming off serious injuries. It's tough to say how productive they will be. They will miss Spikes in the middle of that defense as well. Revis is an upgrade over Talib, but he's not going to make them a top 10 defense by himself. Browner is suspended for the first 4 games and he's a bit overrated to begin with. I don't think they will be that good.

I'm worried about the Ravens secondary outside of Webb and Jimmy. They are very inexperienced and have not done much to inspire confidence. I think the front 7 will be quite good though.

Edited by gabefergy

1. Seattle

2. SF

3. Cincinatti

4. Buffalo

5. Denver

6. St. Louis

7. Carolina

8. Baltimore

9. Arizona

10. Cleveland

8th was the number that came to mind when reading the topic

Bills signed Spikes  and drafted Preston Brown to solidify the run defense . They will miss Byrd, but they played half the season without him last year and were still very good.

Denver is stacked up front with Ware and Von Miller if he can regain his pre-injury form, and a very impressive DL with Jackson, Knighton, and Williams. They brought in Ward to help their secondary and Talib is a top notch corner. They need Chris Harris to come back after injury, but they also drafted Roby in the first round who has lots of potential. I don't see a weakness in that defense.

The Patriots still don't have a reliable pass-rush IMO. Jones and Ninkovich are asked to play basically every snap and are not very productive on a per snap basis. Drafting Easley may help them up the middle, but both he and Wilfork are coming off serious injuries. It's tough to say how productive they will be. They will miss Spikes in the middle of that defense as well. Revis is an upgrade over Talib, but he's not going to make them a top 10 defense by himself. Browner is suspended for the first 4 games and he's a bit overrated to begin with. I don't think they will be that good.

I'm worried about the Ravens secondary outside of Webb and Jimmy. They are very inexperienced and have not done much to inspire confidence. I think the front 7 will be quite good though.

Yeah I think the Bills are solid but I just don't trust their secondary. Spikes is a 2 down guy, really struggled in coverage which led to him being used in the 2 down role in New England and Brown is a rookie, I think they will be better against the run but I am just not sold on their secondary being good enough to be #4. I think they are good but I don't see an elite defense out of the players they have.

Yeah but you have to assume Miller is healthy and Talib doesn't go down at the worst possible time, DRC was huge for Denver last year, I don't see Talib doing much better if he does do any better. I think Ware and Ward help but Miller is coming off an injury, he is a bit of a question mark. As for Roby, he is a talented guy but he has a lot to learn. I wouldn't expect him to do much this year and if they put him in a starting role, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a lot of targets since Talib and Harris would cover the other guys. I think the thing that dooms the Denver defense most of all however is the offense since they will be scoring a lot unless there is a huge drop off. I see the Denver defense more focused on protecting leads during the regular season as opposed to being counted on to get stops. They were a good unit last season as well but there was a lot of garbage time that they played and I think that will hurt. I see top 10 talent but I don't think they will rank in the top 10 once the season is done.

I see Jones as their primary guy rushing the passer but I agree that they need some help besides him. Between Hightower, Mayo, and Collins, they have a solid linebacking core and they wouldn't have let Spikes go if they thought he was going to make that much of a difference for them. They have 2 good DEs in Jones and Ninkovich. The DT spots are going to be interesting depending on the health of Wilfork and Easley but if those guys are healthy, they could dominate. If not, they do have some young guys with more experience. I don't think they would be great but they wouldn't be terrible. The obvious strength of the defense is the secondary not just because Revis but the depth they have there. Revis, Browner, Ryan, Dennard, and Arrington are a solid group of CBs and McCourtey is a very good FS as well. SS is probably the weakest position of their secondary but even there, Harmon is decent and they brought Chung back who knows their system. The fate of the defense will hinge on the health of the D-line but I think they could very well end up being a top 10 defense this year. It depends on how you want to measure defense, by yards, I don't know if they would but they were 10th last year in points allowed and I think they will be even better there this year. I think they certainly have top 10 talent

I agree with you 100% on the Ravens, it will really depend on the secondary with us.

Yeah I think the Bills are solid but I just don't trust their secondary. Spikes is a 2 down guy, really struggled in coverage which led to him being used in the 2 down role in New England and Brown is a rookie, I think they will be better against the run but I am just not sold on their secondary being good enough to be #4. I think they are good but I don't see an elite defense out of the players they have.

Yeah but you have to assume Miller is healthy and Talib doesn't go down at the worst possible time, DRC was huge for Denver last year, I don't see Talib doing much better if he does do any better. I think Ware and Ward help but Miller is coming off an injury, he is a bit of a question mark. As for Roby, he is a talented guy but he has a lot to learn. I wouldn't expect him to do much this year and if they put him in a starting role, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a lot of targets since Talib and Harris would cover the other guys. I think the thing that dooms the Denver defense most of all however is the offense since they will be scoring a lot unless there is a huge drop off. I see the Denver defense more focused on protecting leads during the regular season as opposed to being counted on to get stops. They were a good unit last season as well but there was a lot of garbage time that they played and I think that will hurt. I see top 10 talent but I don't think they will rank in the top 10 once the season is done.

I see Jones as their primary guy rushing the passer but I agree that they need some help besides him. Between Hightower, Mayo, and Collins, they have a solid linebacking core and they wouldn't have let Spikes go if they thought he was going to make that much of a difference for them. They have 2 good DEs in Jones and Ninkovich. The DT spots are going to be interesting depending on the health of Wilfork and Easley but if those guys are healthy, they could dominate. If not, they do have some young guys with more experience. I don't think they would be great but they wouldn't be terrible. The obvious strength of the defense is the secondary not just because Revis but the depth they have there. Revis, Browner, Ryan, Dennard, and Arrington are a solid group of CBs and McCourtey is a very good FS as well. SS is probably the weakest position of their secondary but even there, Harmon is decent and they brought Chung back who knows their system. The fate of the defense will hinge on the health of the D-line but I think they could very well end up being a top 10 defense this year. It depends on how you want to measure defense, by yards, I don't know if they would but they were 10th last year in points allowed and I think they will be even better there this year. I think they certainly have top 10 talent

I agree with you 100% on the Ravens, it will really depend on the secondary with us.

A lot of this will depend on health, and how players recover from their injuries. 

For Buffalo though, I think you are really underestimating their talent in the secondary. Gillmore, Robey, McKelvin, Williams, and they brought in Corey Graham. That's a very strong unit. They added Spikes because their LB unit was shoddy vs the run last season, and it's an area he excels in. He doesn't have to be on the field for passing downs. Kiko Alonso is one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL. More than anything they have a devastating pass-rush with WIlliams and Hughes on the edge and the other Williams and Dareus up the middle. Their defense has a chance to be among the best.

We'll know more when we see ngata

Haloti is going to silence all the haters, as is RR. 

A lot of this will depend on health, and how players recover from their injuries. 

For Buffalo though, I think you are really underestimating their talent in the secondary. Gillmore, Robey, McKelvin, Williams, and they brought in Corey Graham. That's a very strong unit. They added Spikes because their LB unit was shoddy vs the run last season, and it's an area he excels in. He doesn't have to be on the field for passing downs. Kiko Alonso is one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL. More than anything they have a devastating pass-rush with WIlliams and Hughes on the edge and the other Williams and Dareus up the middle. Their defense has a chance to be among the best.

No doubt

Yeah I like their talent but I just don't see them being top 5. I could be wrong about it though, I wasn't terribly high on Carolina's defense last year at this time(preseason game against us changed that though). We will just have to see, Schwartz could do very well with them

No doubt

Yeah I like their talent but I just don't see them being top 5. I could be wrong about it though, I wasn't terribly high on Carolina's defense last year at this time(preseason game against us changed that though). We will just have to see, Schwartz could do very well with them

Well they are Buffalo, so who knows if they can build on their solid defense from last season. Schwartz will be a change and it might take some time to adjust to his scheme. I think the talent is there to be a top 5 unit though.

Its a bit tough projecting right now because we (and all teams really) have a ton of question marks. We still don't really know what our starting lineup will look like, we don't really know who will start at FS, 3rd CB, or how our Dline will look. Will Ngata regain top form, will Suggs be consistant throughout the season, etc are all fair questions. But if i had to guess right now I'd say 8-11, I don't think we are top 5 yet, we have a lot of young guns still developing so we'll be back in top 5 soon enough just not now.

1.Seattle

2.St. Louis (yeah call me crazy but i really like what theyve got over there)

3.San Fran

4.Cincy

5.Carolina

6.New Orleans (added Byrd to an already really good D, look out Ryan has some weapons to play with)

7.Cleveland (yep two AFC North teams ahead of us unfortunately, but if its any consolation Pitt is way below us)

8.Denver

9.Baltimore

10.Houston 

11.Buffalo

Its a bit tough projecting right now because we (and all teams really) have a ton of question marks. We still don't really know what our starting lineup will look like, we don't really know who will start at FS, 3rd CB, or how our Dline will look. Will Ngata regain top form, will Suggs be consistant throughout the season, etc are all fair questions. But if i had to guess right now I'd say 8-11, I don't think we are top 5 yet, we have a lot of young guns still developing so we'll be back in top 5 soon enough just not now.

1.Seattle

2.St. Louis (yeah call me crazy but i really like what theyve got over there)

3.San Fran

4.Cincy

5.Carolina

6.New Orleans (added Byrd to an already really good D, look out Ryan has some weapons to play with)

7.Cleveland (yep two AFC North teams ahead of us unfortunately, but if its any consolation Pitt is way below us)

8.Denver

9.Baltimore

10.Houston 

11.Buffalo

The thing about St.Louis as that back end.  but those pass rushers man.

First off I think people are really underestimating the loss of Zimmer for the Bengals. Yes they have great talent and that's always been the case imo because of high drafting but it was Zimmer who really brought that defense to life. I'm interested in seeing how they respond to that loss.

As for the Ravens, I think the two things that will make this defense good is the pass rush and the offense allowing them to play with a lead. I love the additions we've made over the past two years and think that the majority of those players will really perform well this year. Two young guys I think will really start to take this defense to the next level is CJ and Timmy.

Timmy gives the front 7 that slasher who can generate pressure from a 4 man rush. We haven't had that type guy in a long time and that seems to be really important in Pees' defense. Art started to develop into that guy, but we couldn't keep him. Having a guy that can take pressure of both Suggs and Ngata will be big.

CJ is that new age ILB. Seemingly undersized but fast to the ball. He can run, blitz, cover and really be the type of player to set the defense apart. I'm not saying we're looking at a young Ray Lewis here, but he definitely fits the mold of a Luke kuechly. I really like his potential in the middle of the defense. If our front 7 can perform well, I think this defense could definitely be top 5

The thing about St.Louis as that back end.  but those pass rushers man.

yeah that secondary worries me a bit but if they can pull of a semi decent secondary I'll stick with them as a top 5 defense. That Dline is the best in the league hands down, Quinn, Long, Brockers, and added Donald in the draft, their linebacking corps is one of the best with Laurinitis and Ogletree (who i though may have deserved defensive rookie of the year). Jenkins is a good CB, obviously another CB on their roster needs to step up, Mcdonald is a good SS and they drafted a FS in the 2nd to play along side him. This defense has the potential to be fantastic

On paper, I'd think

1- Seattle

2- Denver

3- Arizona

4- San Fran

5- St. Louis

6- Buffalo

7- Baltimore

8- Cincinatti

9- Cleveland

10- New Orleans

I think that Carolina, Houston and KC are overrated, I don't think they'll have top ten defenses.

Some teams to watch would be the NYG, Titans and Jaguars. They won't be spectacular, but I think they've improved a lot and could be top 15-20 defenses. 

We'll know more when we see ngata

ill just be honest here.. i think its time we stop holding out hope and expecting ngata to return to dominant form. he is now an above average DT with an injury bug and what seems to be just a lack of caring. 

anything can happen but ive slowly fell farther off the ngata wagon every year since he signed his contract.

It really depends on 3 factors:

1 - Injury situation

2 - Coaching

3 - Execution of the game plan

Any team that excels in those 3 factors will be a top defense imo. I expect Baltimore to be a top 10 defense this year and trending up moving forward.

good points but i still think their front 7 is just plain scary and i think it will be enough to put them up near the top, if not top 5 ill say definitely top 10.

I agree they are talented but I can see them being the Ravens of the NFC with very little offense and having to carry this team

On paper, I'd think

1- Seattle

2- Denver

3- Arizona

4- San Fran

5- St. Louis

6- Buffalo

7- Baltimore

8- Cincinatti

9- Cleveland

10- New Orleans

I think that Carolina, Houston and KC are overrated, I don't think they'll have top ten defenses.

Some teams to watch would be the NYG, Titans and Jaguars. They won't be spectacular, but I think they've improved a lot and could be top 15-20 defenses. 

Denver would need a miracle to be # 2 and dont forget somehow someway the chargers snuck up on everyone last year.

Denver would need a miracle to be # 2 and dont forget somehow someway the chargers snuck up on everyone last year.

I think Denver will be pretty solid this year. Just my opinion though. I would've put the Chargers on there for one that should be watched, but they didn't do much to improve over offseason really imo. I feel quite a few teams will be better than them

I think Denver will be pretty solid this year. Just my opinion though. I would've put the Chargers on there for one that should be watched, but they didn't do much to improve over offseason really imo. I feel quite a few teams will be better than them

I agree with you about Denver. They are stacked defensively.

SD was pretty bad last year. I think they improved their secondary, but the front 7 is still meh.

I agree with you about Denver. They are stacked defensively.

SD was pretty bad last year. I think they improved their secondary, but the front 7 is still meh.

How is Denver  "stacked"? DWARE is hardly even a one trick pony that he once was and their draft stunk, i just dont see it. The Chargers added Attaochu who can help on third down and remember Freeney was out for the season last year so they get him back.

How is Denver "stacked"? DWARE is hardly even a one trick pony that he once was and their draft stunk, i just dont see it. The Chargers added Attaochu who can help on third down and remember Freeney was out for the season last year so they get him back.

Von Miller is coming back

Ware is still a great pass rusher

They got Talib

They got Ward

Chris Harris Jr is coming back

Roby is a good prospect

They get Wolfe back

Williams should break out

They got Talib

They got Ward

Roby is a good prospect

They get Wolfe back

Case in point not much of anything except a couple of guys whom cant finish a season and some unknown quantities

They got Talib

They got Ward

Roby is a good prospect

They get Wolfe back

Roby is talented but he is also raw IMO, I don't see him doing all that well his first year. In the future he may but I don't think he will this year.

Wolfe hasn't shown anything so far to make me think he is all that good. I hear a ton of Watt comps with him but what he has done on the field doesn't come close to that level.

How is Denver  "stacked"? DWARE is hardly even a one trick pony that he once was and their draft stunk, i just dont see it. The Chargers added Attaochu who can help on third down and remember Freeney was out for the season last year so they get him back.

They have an incredible defensive line. Jackson and Knighton are studs in the middle, and Ware/Miller is one of the best pass-rushing duos in the league.

They have a really good secondary with Talib and Harris. Roby was an excellent draft pick and they signed TJ Ward too. 

Compared to SD they are way better in terms of talent.

They have an incredible defensive line. Jackson and Knighton are studs in the middle, and Ware/Miller is one of the best pass-rushing duos in the league.

They have a really good secondary with Talib and Harris. Roby was an excellent draft pick and they signed TJ Ward too. 

Compared to SD they are way better in terms of talent.

Ware and Miller have zero sacks together as a tandem

Ware and Miller have zero sacks together as a tandem

That's a really intuitive observation.