Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Who's the Better Ravens Coach: Billick or Harbaugh?

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

Some will no doubt gravitate to one or the other because of the generation they're in.  However, compare the achievements of the 7 BB seasons vs the 6 JH seasons from the different eras. 

Which one is the better Ravens coach and why?

“Attack this day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”  

~ Harbaugh family creed

#2 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

Ted Marchibroda.
Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#3 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Really?? I've been around for both of their tenures in full, and it is very clear

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#4 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,905 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Harbs... Not even close.

Edited by H8R, 20 June 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#5 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Does this really need a thread. Next somebody gonna make a thread called "Who's better Torrey Smith or Mark Clayton?"

<p>"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Justin Forsett on a run play" - LOS

#6 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Really?? I've been around for both of their tenures in full, and it is very clear

Yeah, it's not really a comparison. Harbs has had what Billick searched for his entire tenure. A QB that's not a turnover machine. But even if Billick had said QB, I still don't think he wins because he was just too soft. Although all training camps nowadays seem like Brian's legendary "camp cream puff"... There would be more room for debate if Billick had continued to coach.

#7 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Billick. Less overall talent and still won a SB while keeping the team competitive. ... every other year. Harbaugh inherited a good team, don't care what you all say. He had the perfect blend of vets and young guys to keep things moving and two HOF talents to help mentor, govern and somewhat coach the team while he adjusted. We were stuck with Boller who ruined many a season and the fact it took so long for the defense to finally turn on the offense is astounding.

Try and breathe some damn life into this thread.

#8 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Over all Harbaugh, but Billic was always fun in post game interviews. There was no question he didnt like the media.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#9 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Does this really need a thread. Next somebody gonna make a thread called "Who's better Torrey Smith or Mark Clayton?"

why bash Clayton.. Just why.

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Billick was a good coach, but he had some extremely talented teams that were incredibly inconsistent. A lot of underachieving.

It's easily Harbaugh.

@gabefergy

#11 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Harbs by miles 

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#12 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

Harbs easily
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#13 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

Billick was a good coach, but he had some extremely talented teams that were incredibly inconsistent. A lot of underachieving.

It's easily Harbaugh.

Yes x 100

BILLICK is the one who also ruined this team because of his man-love for Boller, as well as allowing that locker room to fall apart the way it did.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#14 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

That said, I loved Billick and was really saddened to see him leave.

#15 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

Billick had talent as well. Ray and Ed in their prime winning defensive MVP's.

I knew he was gone in 2007 but I remember being steaming mad when we passed on Garret and Ryan for Harbs......glad to be wrong

#16 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

why bash Clayton.. Just why.

Implying Torrey is better isn't bashing Clayton, just like implying Harbaugh is better isn't bashing Billick. Just pointing out that the answers to both of those questions were self explanatory.

<p>"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Justin Forsett on a run play" - LOS

#17 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:37 AM

I will always respect and appreciate what Brian has done for this franchise/city, but the way he handled this offense was an absolute joke. He never adjusted, his philosophy never changed. It was always run the ball down their throat and play perfect defense to shut offenses down. He ignored our passing game, he never really tried to get it going. That was his philosophy. And it worked as long as our O-Line was elite in terms of run blocking, it worked as long as our defense was young, when all those guys were in their prime. But as they got older it all changed. Brian didn't, his philosophy never changed, he never adjusted. In todays game it's not enough anymore to just run the ball 40 times, let the QB complete 10 balls for 80 yards and make the defense do the rest.

Harbs - and it's not even close.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#18 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

Billick was an offensive guru without a QB (ie offense) who I think ended up confused on what his role was, he ended up more like a figurehead who couldn't control a team of dominant transcendent players. His worst habit was a complete lack of discipline which resulted in league leading penalties.

Harbaugh is very disciplined and runs the team with an iron fist (albeit with petty traits), he almost lost the team during the SB run. Last season he cleaned house and fielded his team and the results weren't great. His worst habit is starting his favorites over better players, which has cost us some games.

So while Harbaugh has a better QB but Harbaugh had a better team, both leave a lot to be desired when it comes to things like clock management or even overall coaching acumen.

Edited by BloodRaven, 21 June 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#19 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Billick was an offensive guru without a QB (ie offense) who I think ended up confused on what his role was, he ended up more like a figurehead who couldn't control a team of dominant transcendent players. His worst habit was a complete lack of discipline which resulted in league leading penalties.

Harbaugh is very disciplined and runs the team with an iron fist (albeit with petty traits), he almost lost the team during the SB run. Last season he cleaned house and fielded his team and the results weren't great. His worst habit is starting his favorites over better players, which has cost us some games.

So while Harbaugh has a better QB but Harbaugh had a better team, both leave a lot to be desired when it comes to things like clock management or even overall coaching acumen.

100% in agreement. IMHO Harbaugh has the edge because he is the more disciplined coach but that does not mean it has not hurt us at times. I believe that Harbs has not always put our best players on the field, but I actually think he may be becoming more mature with that. I think Kubiak and Harbs may be a good combination. Well lets call it a "positive feeling."

#20 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

Billick IMO he started pretty much from scratch building this team and getting that dominating defense and running game. id imagine if he had a legit QB he would have accomplished more. Harbough inheritted that dominating defense and run game and also got lucky we finally landed a pretty darn good QB. IMO he was at the right place at the right time and he managed to make the most of it. my knock on him is keeping Cam around to long. also after last season when he forced castillo on us and the results im still waiting to see how things will turn out. if harbaugh manages to get us to another SB or a couple more deep play off runs then it would not even be a debate though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users