125 replies to this topic

#1 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Figured this was worth it's own thread at this point.  It should create some good competition for the #3 spot.  It'll be curious to see if both end up making the 53, and if so, what that means for UDFAs like Sammy Seamster and Deji Olatoye who have both been very impressive, according to reports.

Ravens are adding both Aaron Ross and Dominique Franks to the roster, according to sources

#2 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

Im guessing the Chykie making numerous mistakes (as he always does) opens up the roster to find our 3rd CB.

Really hoping we find our nickel CB!

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,506 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

So we are no longer in the running for Flowers... :(

#4 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Decent little signings...Franks will likely be a special teamer/depth based on how he has played in the past, while Ross will give Asa Jackson and Chykie  Brown a push for the nickel spot.

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 19 June 2014 - 06:38 PM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#5 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Too many teams are interested in him. At least 10 teams showed interest in him and I think he has already been on a couple of his 5 or 6 team visits that have been set up. At this point it seems he might be too pricey, but you never know...we might still give him a look.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#6 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Competition!!!!!

#7 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Shocked Drayton Florence didn't have a better showing, he seemed like a solid player on the Panthers D last year. Guess he's over the hill, Florence also tried out for KC and didn't get signed so that's probably a sign that we made the right evaluation.

I'm just happy that we got an insurance policy for our young cb's, I think Franks could be nice in that Corey Graham role.

<p>"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Justin Forsett on a run play" - LOS

#8 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

No surprise to hear about Aaron Ross, and apparently Dominique Franks was really impressive during his tryout.

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Shocked Drayton Florence didn't have a better showing, he seemed like a solid player on the Panthers D last year. Guess he's over the hill, Florence also tried out for KC and didn't get signed so that's probably a sign that we made the right evaluation.

I'm just happy that we got an insurance policy for our young cb's, I think Franks could be nice in that Corey Graham role.

Think about that front seven, though.

#10 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Ross is a fairly mediocre player but Franks has some upside.

#11 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Think about that front seven, though.

Yeah not doubting that the front 7 was a big part of their success but Florence still seemed like a solid enough cb. Seemed like the favorite to get signed after he said he thought he could "help us win" but just wasn't impressive in his try out apparently.

<p>"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Justin Forsett on a run play" - LOS

#12 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Ross has a good amount of experience though.  It's always good to have that around.  One of them may not make the team.

#13 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

I wouldn't say mediocre. Just hasn't had the best circumstances to be successful these last couple years. Signed a nice 5 mil per year contract with the Jags in 2012 and obviously that didn't pan out well playing on an awful defense, with an awful coaching staff on, on an awful team. Got cut when new management took over in Jacksonville as part of a big house cleaning after a 2-14 season, Ross was on an inflated contract to begin with so they parted ways.

Then last year he went back to the Giants and got injured very early in the season and never got a chance to show what he had left in the tank. I don't expect him to set the world on fire here but he could be a good depth player, more reliable then Chykie was last year when he had to come in.

Edited by sflegend89, 19 June 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#14 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I wouldn't say mediocre. Just hasn't had the best circumstances to be successful these last couple years. Signed a nice 5 mil per year contract with the Jags in 2012 and obviously that didn't pan out well playing on an awful defense, with an awful coaching staff on, on an awful team. Got cut when new management took over in Jacksonville as part of a big house cleaning after a 2-14 season, Ross was on an inflated contract to begin with so they parted ways.

Then last year he went back to the Giants and got injured very early in the season and never got a chance to show what he had left in the tank. I don't expect him to set the world on fire here but he could be a good depth player, more reliable then Chykie was last year when he had to come in.

He was on an awful defense and got cut? What makes you think he wasn't part of the problem?

#15 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

nope 

#16 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

He was on an awful defense and got cut? What makes you think he wasn't part of the problem?

It could have a lot to do with them just wanting to clean house of all expensive players and start over new with any players who hadn't been a long tenured player who had contributed a ton.

#17 Cillmatic

Cillmatic

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I hope Franks can prove he has what it takes to be a starter, I expect Ross to be a ST'er. These new signings could be what Asa needs to get more determined to mastering his craft. Good signing.

#18 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

He got released because he was overpaid and the new management preferred to cut their losses after the 2-14 season, they basically cleaned house of all the over paid players just eating up cap. That doesn't mean Ross wasn't a good player, just means he wasn't worth 5 mil a year, it was a bad contract to begin with.

Playing with a bad front 7 is the worst thing that can happen to a cb, hard to look like an effective corner when your just chasing shadows all game because your pass rush isn't getting any pressure. Eventually it starts to kill your morale when your job becomes exponentially harder because of the lack of pass rush.. It's hard to feel good about yourself and be on top of your game when your just demoralized from playing on the worst team in the NFL.

Ross has A LOT to prove in camp if he wants to make this roster but it's not fair to call him mediocre, been a victim of circumstance to a  large extent with the Jags stint and the injury last year.

#19 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

He got released because he was overpaid and the new management preferred to cut their losses after the 2-14 season, they basically cleaned house of all the over paid players just eating up cap. That doesn't mean Ross wasn't a good player, just means he wasn't worth 5 mil a year, it was a bad contract to begin with.

Playing with a bad front 7 is the worst thing that can happen to a cb, hard to look like an effective corner when your just chasing shadows all game because your pass rush isn't getting any pressure. Eventually it starts to kill your morale when your job becomes exponentially harder because of the lack of pass rush.. It's hard to feel good about yourself and be on top of your game when your just demoralized from playing on the worst team in the NFL.

Ross has A LOT to prove in camp if he wants to make this roster but it's not fair to call him mediocre, been a victim of circumstance to a  large extent with the Jags stint and the injury last year.

You sure paint the Jags out to be one stink pile of misery. Maybe there's some truth there, but I'd be insulted if I were a Jags fan reading that our team was so bad that our good players were too depressed to play well. Regardless of your feelings for him, Ross will struggle to make our team and I doubt he makes the cut. But it's worth trying, right?

#20 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

You sure paint the Jags out to be one stink pile of misery. Maybe there's some truth there, but I'd be insulted if I were a Jags fan reading that our team was so bad that our good players were too depressed to play well. Regardless of your feelings for him, Ross will struggle to make our team and I doubt he makes the cut. But it's worth trying, right?

Ross could definitely make it based on experience alone.  Franks doesn't have much more experience than Chykie.  He's got an extra year in there but he's primarily been a STer throughout his career.  He played a grand total of 13 snaps last year on defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users