Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cushrinada1986

How will timmy be used?

39 posts in this topic

Since our new DT doesnt fully fit the mold of a Ngata or Williams, I think his ability to slice through defenses will be best used on long and distance downs and passing downs. Having someone like Timmy as both a DE in our run scheme and a DT in our pass rush scheme should help out our OLBs getting to the QB more this year. What role does the Ravens nation think Timmy will be mostly used in in 2014?

Isn't he a little light at 292 lbs for a DT?

Yes he is small for the 3-4. 5 tech ends need to be bigger and longer to take on Ts. NTs have to be giants to take up 2 lineman. Jernigan is not a fit for either of those spots.

He is a great fit as a 3 tech in the nickel and 4-3 fronts. He can use his athleticism to beat the G to get into the backfield. I would think he will be rotated in when we are in our sub package. Using him any other way wouldn't be playing to his strength. We have other guys that can play in the base package.

Don't forget, there have been successful, relatively small 3-4 linemen. Jernigan is about the same size as the Cowboy's old NT, Jeremiah Ratliff, who did very well (four straight probowls). Also, he has a bonus of playing alongside giant, strong linement like Ngata and Willaims, who'll get taking up two blockers, who'll help take the pressure off of him.

I honestly see Pees switching to a mostly 4-3 scheme. If you ask me, a scheme featuring

DE:Haloti Ngata

DT:Brandon Williams

DT:Timmy Jernigan

DE:Chris Canty

Would be almost unstoppable and would render most teams Running attack useless. I see Timmy leading our defense to greatness.

A nose tackle should be 330lb, a 3-4 DE should be at least 6'4" etc etc

There are always exceptions to the rule, Timmy can flat out play.

I honestly see Pees switching to a mostly 4-3 scheme. If you ask me, a scheme featuring

Would be almost unstoppable and would render most teams Running attack useless. I see Timmy leading our defense to greatness.

Canty and Ngata would be inside in the 4-3 at DT, they are DEs in the 3-4 but they are asked to do different things in a 4-3. In a 4 man front, you want your DEs to be quick-twitch passrushers. It would look more like

Suggs

Ngata/B. Williams

Canty/Jernigan

Doom

I think he will play mostly DT in our sub packages, and probably a little bit of DE in the base 3-4.

Jernigan didn't play the 5-tech or the 3-tech in FSU's hybrid scheme which are the two positions we need on the DL. He was really an undersized NT and we already have two NT's that should see significant playing time in Ngata and Williams. I don't think he has the length to be a great 3-4 DE either so I question how well he's fits our defense. Not a fan of the pick tbh. I thought he was overrated in general and doesn't fit our D.

I think our d-line is fine. A lot "situational players can be rotated in. I also think it's cool at the beginning of ota's and mini camp they had Jernigan working with yanda and Monroe. That's how you develop players. and we have a good coaching staff. Love the ravens :)

Jernigan didn't play the 5-tech or the 3-tech in FSU's hybrid scheme which are the two positions we need on the DL. He was really an undersized NT and we already have two NT's that should see significant playing time in Ngata and Williams. I don't think he has the length to be a great 3-4 DE either so I question how well he's fits our defense. Not a fan of the pick tbh. I thought he was overrated in general and doesn't fit our D.

Well he'll be grear for our line when Ngata leaves. There are successful undersized NTs. Timmy has the potential to be one. You must not be paying attention to who well he's been doing in OTAs.

Well he'll be grear for our line when Ngata leaves. There are successful undersized NTs. Timmy has the potential to be one. You must not be paying attention to who well he's been doing in OTAs.

I wouldn't say he'll be great since I haven't seen him play in the NFL yet. But we're paying Ngata a ton and expect a couple more good years, then we just spent a 3rd last year on Williams and have high hopes for him, now we use a 2nd to draft another NT. I get that there are successful undersized NT's and that Jernigan has potential, but that's an awful lot invested in three run stuffing nose tackles that will have to rotate playing time. We also don't have much at DE and lack a pass rusher in that front 3 with Jones gone.

I wouldn't say he'll be great since I haven't seen him play in the NFL yet. But we're paying Ngata a ton and expect a couple more good years, then we just spent a 3rd last year on Williams and have high hopes for him, now we use a 2nd to draft another NT. I get that there are successful undersized NT's and that Jernigan has potential, but that's an awful lot invested in three run stuffing nose tackles that will have to rotate playing time. We also don't have much at DE and lack a pass rusher in that front 3 with Jones gone.

Its an adapt or die league, I see no reason why Jernigan couldn't play 5 tech or 3 tech. He definitely has the speed. I see him getting into the rotation early and locking down a starting spot by week 10.

Its an adapt or die league, I see no reason why Jernigan couldn't play 5 tech or 3 tech. He definitely has the speed. I see him getting into the rotation early and locking down a starting spot by week 10.

Playing the 5 tech to want to be big and long. There's very few as small as him playing the position. Maybe he can survive there, but odds are against him right now. Maybe he can play 3 tech well that's just not what he has been. He's played mostly 0 and 1 tech at FSU.

Couldn't say it any better. It's all in the heart and the drive to be successful. Wilson and Brees aren't prototypical QBs yet they're successful. Preseason can't come soon enough.

I doubt Ngata will be here after next yeae unless he takes a paycut. Having guys rotate in any position of the dline is the best way to do it to keep them fresh. Its good to have 2 studs there, if either of them do turn into studs. I think we're getting ready for the possible departure of Ngata since he's on the decline. But I definitely don't think Timmy is overrated.

Tommie Harris. Perfect comparison for Jernigan

Corey Liuget is that type of body as well.  More feet than arms in playing the 3-4.

He's around 300, last I heard when someone was talking about him the other day. He played the zero tech at Florida State and was surprisingly stout, which gives the possibility of using him at nose tackle and using Williams and Ngata at the ends in short yardage situations.

Non situation play, I see him playing the role of Art Jones and playing the LDT

You don't have to be 350 lbs to eat up blockers. You will draw double teams simply by being disruptive and consistently getting into the backfield. Jernigan certainly has that potential

Timmy can play but he doesn't anchor well consistently. Nose tackles and 3-4 linemen in general should be able to anchor. 

Fortunately, what he lacks in his ability to anchor he makes up for in his ability to get off blocks and pursue. This guy won't be the traditional clogger but he can wreak some havoc. I see some Jay Ratliff in him. Bear in mind, though, that Ratliff played NT in that single gap scheme; he wasn't responsible for two gaps like most NTs are. I really hope Pees sees that if he decides to stick Tim at NT. As beast as Timmy is, he's not a two gapper. 

I agree with The Raven. Timmy is not going to be a traditional space eating 3-4 NT. I don't see him being able to hold up against double teams and eat blockers consistently.

He's more of a mover and penetrator. Our defensive front is already pretty multiple in the looks they show, so he should fit right in. I think Brandon Williams will end up being our NT of the future as long as he figures out the technique and leverage. He played far too upright as a rookie.

Wonder if we start going to a single gap 34, ala Wade Phillips scheme.  With the guys we've been drafting on the Dline they don't exactly fit the old space eating, MLB protecting role we're accustomed to seeing.

if this is d-line what about Suggs and Dumervill if anything they would be ends at least Dumervill Suggs could play OLB but I don't think it's a good fit. At best case with 4-3 DE Dumervill Canty DT Williams Ngata LB Suggs Moseley Smith. With Brown as backup LB and Jernigan backup DT McPhee as ak up DE is probably best case if we switched but I don't see it as an option

Wonder if we start going to a single gap 34, ala Wade Phillips scheme.  With the guys we've been drafting on the Dline they don't exactly fit the old space eating, MLB protecting role we're accustomed to seeing.

I hate to keep going on about this, but I really think it's coming. It doesn't make sense for us not to at this point. It's the perfect fit for our guys, except for our ILBs that suck at taking on blocks. 

If we don't, I'll be disappointed, confused, and frustrated.

I hate to keep going on about this, but I really think it's coming. It doesn't make sense for us not to at this point. It's the perfect fit for our guys, except for our ILBs that suck at taking on blocks.

If we don't, I'll be disappointed, confused, and frustrated.

ITS A GAME! Lol.

If you're talking about a switch to a 4-3, then yes. It'll probably come gradually.

And to be clear. I've done my scouting on Mosley. He's pretty good at shedding blocks. But then again, I hated the pick.

I'm very concerned about our defense in general. Mainly the pass rush since it disappeared towards the end of the year. I think a switch to a 4-3 would help there.

Forgive me for sounding redundant or misunderstanding. I've had a long day lol

Timmy will not be penciled in as a NT for this defense. He'll see time at NT because our defense is so multiple up front but the 3 is where he'll see most his time. I don't get the whole he doesn't fit our system thing when we purposely play a hybrid defense to be able to incorporation both 4-3 and 3-4 personnel. I actually think Timmy fits what we wanna do perfectly. From what I see from Pees he wants to be able to get pressure with a 4 man rush and use exotic coverages on the back end. Guys like Timmy who are quick twich and slashers are what you need in the pass happy NFL. Also Timmy is very strong and stout against the run. Imo he's the guy that you hoped Art developed into. Strong against the run but can get after the QB. As much as I like Art, Timmy is an upgrade imo.

You guys can curb all the undersized NT talk, in the presser after the 2nd day of the draft Harbs was asked where does he see Timmy playing 3tech or NT and the answer was clearly the 3 with the capability to play some NT. Timmy was played out of position at FSU because of need, much how Ngata was forced to play a lot of DE because of need a couple years ago. A guy like Timmy is really keep in a cage if you force him to play NT. He needs to be able to use his quickness, strength and explosiveness outside.

this. End thread now.

ITS A GAME! Lol.

If you're talking about a switch to a 4-3, then yes. It'll probably come gradually.

And to be clear. I've done my scouting on Mosley. He's pretty good at shedding blocks. But then again, I hated the pick.

I'm very concerned about our defense in general. Mainly the pass rush since it disappeared towards the end of the year. I think a switch to a 4-3 would help there.

Forgive me for sounding redundant or misunderstanding. I've had a long day lol

Isn't the base defense talk all a bit redundant? 2/3 of our defensive snaps are subpackages, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decision to start going smaller and faster by design.