38 replies to this topic

#1 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

Since our new DT doesnt fully fit the mold of a Ngata or Williams, I think his ability to slice through defenses will be best used on long and distance downs and passing downs. Having someone like Timmy as both a DE in our run scheme and a DT in our pass rush scheme should help out our OLBs getting to the QB more this year. What role does the Ravens nation think Timmy will be mostly used in in 2014?

#2 Runnin Raven

Runnin Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

I don't know but based on what I see I'm hoping he gets Ben a bunch of times.

TOUCHDOWN RAVENS!!

#3 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Isn't he a little light at 292 lbs for a DT?

#4 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Isn't he a little light at 292 lbs for a DT?

Yes he is small for the 3-4. 5 tech ends need to be bigger and longer to take on Ts. NTs have to be giants to take up 2 lineman. Jernigan is not a fit for either of those spots.

He is a great fit as a 3 tech in the nickel and 4-3 fronts. He can use his athleticism to beat the G to get into the backfield. I would think he will be rotated in when we are in our sub package. Using him any other way wouldn't be playing to his strength. We have other guys that can play in the base package.

#5 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Don't forget, there have been successful, relatively small 3-4 linemen. Jernigan is about the same size as the Cowboy's old NT, Jeremiah Ratliff, who did very well (four straight probowls). Also, he has a bonus of playing alongside giant, strong linement like Ngata and Willaims, who'll get taking up two blockers, who'll help take the pressure off of him.

#6 Cillmatic

Cillmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I honestly see Pees switching to a mostly 4-3 scheme. If you ask me, a scheme featuring
DE:Haloti Ngata
DT:Brandon Williams
DT:Timmy Jernigan
DE:Chris Canty

Would be almost unstoppable and would render most teams Running attack useless. I see Timmy leading our defense to greatness.

#7 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

A nose tackle should be 330lb, a 3-4 DE should be at least 6'4" etc etc

There are always exceptions to the rule, Timmy can flat out play.

#8 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

I honestly see Pees switching to a mostly 4-3 scheme. If you ask me, a scheme featuring
DE:Haloti Ngata
DT:Brandon Williams
DT:Timmy Jernigan
DE:Chris Canty

Would be almost unstoppable and would render most teams Running attack useless. I see Timmy leading our defense to greatness.

Canty and Ngata would be inside in the 4-3 at DT, they are DEs in the 3-4 but they are asked to do different things in a 4-3. In a 4 man front, you want your DEs to be quick-twitch passrushers. It would look more like

Suggs
Ngata/B. Williams
Canty/Jernigan
Doom

Edited by bMore Heathen, 19 June 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#9 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

I think he will play mostly DT in our sub packages, and probably a little bit of DE in the base 3-4.

@gabefergy

#10 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:31 AM

Jernigan didn't play the 5-tech or the 3-tech in FSU's hybrid scheme which are the two positions we need on the DL. He was really an undersized NT and we already have two NT's that should see significant playing time in Ngata and Williams. I don't think he has the length to be a great 3-4 DE either so I question how well he's fits our defense. Not a fan of the pick tbh. I thought he was overrated in general and doesn't fit our D.

#11 JetLife94

JetLife94

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

I think our d-line is fine. A lot "situational players can be rotated in. I also think it's cool at the beginning of ota's and mini camp they had Jernigan working with yanda and Monroe. That's how you develop players. and we have a good coaching staff. Love the ravens :)

Edited by JetLife94, 20 June 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#12 D-Rey

D-Rey

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Jernigan didn't play the 5-tech or the 3-tech in FSU's hybrid scheme which are the two positions we need on the DL. He was really an undersized NT and we already have two NT's that should see significant playing time in Ngata and Williams. I don't think he has the length to be a great 3-4 DE either so I question how well he's fits our defense. Not a fan of the pick tbh. I thought he was overrated in general and doesn't fit our D.

Well he'll be grear for our line when Ngata leaves. There are successful undersized NTs. Timmy has the potential to be one. You must not be paying attention to who well he's been doing in OTAs.

Love it....when a crazy starts talking jibberish, we're like vultures

#13 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

Well he'll be grear for our line when Ngata leaves. There are successful undersized NTs. Timmy has the potential to be one. You must not be paying attention to who well he's been doing in OTAs.

I wouldn't say he'll be great since I haven't seen him play in the NFL yet. But we're paying Ngata a ton and expect a couple more good years, then we just spent a 3rd last year on Williams and have high hopes for him, now we use a 2nd to draft another NT. I get that there are successful undersized NT's and that Jernigan has potential, but that's an awful lot invested in three run stuffing nose tackles that will have to rotate playing time. We also don't have much at DE and lack a pass rusher in that front 3 with Jones gone.

#14 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't say he'll be great since I haven't seen him play in the NFL yet. But we're paying Ngata a ton and expect a couple more good years, then we just spent a 3rd last year on Williams and have high hopes for him, now we use a 2nd to draft another NT. I get that there are successful undersized NT's and that Jernigan has potential, but that's an awful lot invested in three run stuffing nose tackles that will have to rotate playing time. We also don't have much at DE and lack a pass rusher in that front 3 with Jones gone.

Its an adapt or die league, I see no reason why Jernigan couldn't play 5 tech or 3 tech. He definitely has the speed. I see him getting into the rotation early and locking down a starting spot by week 10.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#15 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Its an adapt or die league, I see no reason why Jernigan couldn't play 5 tech or 3 tech. He definitely has the speed. I see him getting into the rotation early and locking down a starting spot by week 10.

Playing the 5 tech to want to be big and long. There's very few as small as him playing the position. Maybe he can survive there, but odds are against him right now. Maybe he can play 3 tech well that's just not what he has been. He's played mostly 0 and 1 tech at FSU.

#16 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

A nose tackle should be 330lb, a 3-4 DE should be at least 6'4" etc etc

There are always exceptions to the rule, Timmy can flat out play.

Couldn't say it any better. It's all in the heart and the drive to be successful. Wilson and Brees aren't prototypical QBs yet they're successful. Preseason can't come soon enough.

#17 D-Rey

D-Rey

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

I doubt Ngata will be here after next yeae unless he takes a paycut. Having guys rotate in any position of the dline is the best way to do it to keep them fresh. Its good to have 2 studs there, if either of them do turn into studs. I think we're getting ready for the possible departure of Ngata since he's on the decline. But I definitely don't think Timmy is overrated.

Love it....when a crazy starts talking jibberish, we're like vultures

#18 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,811 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Tommie Harris. Perfect comparison for Jernigan
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#19 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Tommie Harris. Perfect comparison for Jernigan

Corey Liuget is that type of body as well.  More feet than arms in playing the 3-4.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#20 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

He's around 300, last I heard when someone was talking about him the other day. He played the zero tech at Florida State and was surprisingly stout, which gives the possibility of using him at nose tackle and using Williams and Ngata at the ends in short yardage situations.

Non situation play, I see him playing the role of Art Jones and playing the LDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users