#1 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Some interesting nuggets from Hensley via ESPN:

• Joe Flacco looks more and more comfortable with his footwork every week. He was fluid in running a cone drill off to the side. His throws, however, were erratic. He was picked off again by cornerback Jimmy Smith, who returned it for a touchdown. Flacco's best pass was one that was zipped to Torrey Smith in between three defenders.

• There was a lot of talk of safety Terrence Brooks starting as a rookie. But the third-round pick appears to have dropped on the depth chart behind Matt Elam, Darian Stewart, Omar Brown and Jeromy Miles. Brooks was running in the defensive backfield with safety Dexter Moody. No one should jump to conclusions because it's still a long way until the season begins.

• One cornerback to keep an eye on is undrafted rookie Deji Olatoye. He was rotated in with the first and second team defenses and can play a big role on special teams. Olatoye is from North Carolina A&T, but his college career began at Colorado where he was teammates with Jimmy Smith.

For more: http://espn.go.com/b...-minicamp-day-1

Hoping Brooks is going to turn it up soon, the other guys don't really excite me with their cover ability at the safety position. Jimmy continues his great offseason so far with yet another pick 6. And maybe we've found another late round gem in Olatoye, guess we'll find out in pre season.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#2 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Some good stuff. Flacco is obviously taking more risks now with his throws to grow accustomed to his reads and WR routes. I am excited to see everything work together and hopefully witness a noticeable difference in route tree / route combinations. I think our run game will really open things up if it is run effectively. We could have some really productive players on offense this year as a result of Kubiak. Our individual talent is not out of this world, but I think our offense as a group is up there.

The defense could be scary this year, but I think it all hinges on the play of Suggs and Elvis. We need them to produce pressure consistently. I think our run defense and coverage defense has the potential to be great, but can we produce consistent pressure? That will be key this year.

I made the bold prediction that Brooks would be a starter this year, but it is looking more and more that he needs time to develop behind Stewart. Anyone think he could see some time as a CB? Similar to what the 49ers are thinking of doing with Jimmy Ward this year?

#3 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Some good stuff. Flacco is obviously taking more risks now with his throws to grow accustomed to his reads and WR routes. I am excited to see everything work together and hopefully witness a noticeable difference in route tree / route combinations. I think our run game will really open things up if it is run effectively. We could have some really productive players on offense this year as a result of Kubiak. Our individual talent is not out of this world, but I think our offense as a group is up there.

The defense could be scary this year, but I think it all hinges on the play of Suggs and Elvis. We need them to produce pressure consistently. I think our run defense and coverage defense has the potential to be great, but can we produce consistent pressure? That will be key this year.

I made the bold prediction that Brooks would be a starter this year, but it is looking more and more that he needs time to develop behind Stewart. Anyone think he could see some time as a CB? Similar to what the 49ers are thinking of doing with Jimmy Ward this year?

Not really, he isn't as good a corner as say... our cornerbacks.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#4 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

I doubt it. I think they would have given him snaps there if that's what they were thinking. I'd like to have Brooks back there next to Elam but realistically...he's a rookie, Elam is a 2nd year guy. You don't see it often that teams put 2 such young and inexperienced guys out there unless they're both really high picks. Maybe we'll see Steward & Elam back there this season. Brooks might catch on later in the season.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#5 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Not really, he isn't as good a corner as say... our cornerbacks.

Thanks for the snarky response without any backup...I was not referring to him being in the top 3 CBs. More-so seeing the field as a dime DB covering TE or slot receiver - which is not uncommon for a ....safety....to do.

Brooks did this in college where they mixed and matched DBs at FSU.

I am just hoping to see Brooks get some time on the field. This is easy for a D lineman like Jernigan as there are many opportunities to get playing time in rotation, but for safety you see a more stagnant lineup. Just would be interesting to see if Brooks sees the field in sub packages and what his roll may be - blitzer? coverage safety?

Edited by acranfor, 18 June 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the snarky response without any backup...I was not referring to him being in the top 3 CBs. More-so seeing the field as a dime DB covering TE or slot receiver - which is not uncommon for a ....safety....to do.

Brooks did this in college where they mixed and matched DBs at FSU.

I am just hoping to see Brooks get some time on the field. This is easy as a D lineman like Jernigan as there are many opportunities to get playing time in rotation, but for safety you see a more stagnant lineup.

Oh ok, yeah man against a TE I could see since he's such a good athlete.  I thought you meant out wide and I was just thinking "is this guy crazy?!"  

Personally I think he sees time on ST only this year.  Safety is a lot of responsibility in this defense.

Edited by izvoodoo, 18 June 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Anybody know who got cut?

#8 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Kubiak & Flacco = Pick 6's

#9 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Oh ok, yeah man against a TE I could see since he's such a good athlete.  I thought you meant out wide and I was just thinking "is this guy crazy?!"  

Personally I think he sees time on ST only this year.  Safety is a lot of responsibility in this defense.

Yes I understand my post could have been confusing. I think cover 1 / cover 3 - single high safety is a lot of responsibility. However, like I said previously, I hope if Brooks doesnt see time at FS he is able to get on the field as a situational DB. Something where he can utilize his speed, like a DB blitzer. It is nice having some versatile DBs like Elam, Brooks, Stewart and Webb. They can all give multiple looks. 

I think it is important to develop our young players by giving them field time. They need to succeed and fail out on the field. They also need to earn the time as well - that is up to Brooks. Expecting a lot from he and Elam in coming years. We shall see.

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

I hope if Brooks doesnt see time at FS he is able to get on the field as a situational DB. Something where he can utilize his speed, like a DB blitzer. It is nice having some versatile DBs like Elam, Brooks, Stewart and Webb. They can all give multiple looks. 

Stewart seems like he has good potential as a starting FS, however is track record of being injury plagued is definitely there. Even if he gets the start, chances are we'll see Brooks starting at FS before long. But I do agree, he is versatile enough to line up in the slot and cover/blitz. Which is nice to have. 

#11 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Update on Brooks:

S Terrence Brooksicon-article-link.gif

On how quickly he is learning the defense as a rookie: “It was a little hard at first. Coming into a new system, it’s definitely going to be challenging, but for the most part, with more studying and just being more of a student of the game, I feel like I’ve got a good grasp on how this defense is and the schemes. For an update, I would say that I’m doing really well with it, and now it’s just going out there and playing for us.”

On his biggest challenge as a rookie: “I would say just eliminating all of the clutter, all of the outside distractions and things like that, and just getting back to football and becoming, like I said, a student of the game and pretty much putting your all into it. You don’t have school anymore, so this is the only thing you have to do. For the most part, I’m doing well with it. I feel like I’m more comfortable right now – definitely in a good spot.”

On what he needs to show as a rookie: “Just how fast I can play, how well I can fit with this defense. They brought me here for a reason, so I just have to show them what I put on film to get me here. I just have to go out and play and just be myself and be comfortable.”

On what he expects from the NFL’s Rookie Symposium: “It’s always a new experience. I’m just going to go in there with an open mindset. I don’t know what to expect yet; it’s my first time. So, I’m just going to go in there and observe all the information and anything that can help me do better at this level.”

On transitioning to the professional level: “I would kind of relate it to going your first time to college – getting kind of homesick a little bit and things like that. I feel comfortable here. The guys are great in the locker room. The coaches are great. Practice is going really well. I feel like I fit in here, so it’s not hard to transition at all.”

On how S Matt Elamicon-article-link.gif, S Darian Stewarticon-article-link.gif and S Jeromy Milesicon-article-link.gif been helpful: “Oh, definitely. Me and Matt [Elam] talk a lot. As soon as I got drafted, actually, [Elam] found my phone number and we chatted ever since I got up here. But for the most part, it’s competition on that field, but it’s not anything bad. These guys are actually helping me program, because it’s only going to better the team – and that’s in all phases; that goes for special teams also.”

On how he can make an overall impact as a safety: “[Tackling is] one part of the game, but you also have to cover. I pride myself in doing it all – covering, tackling and having a lot of range on that field. It’s not just hitting as a safety. You have to make sure you’re the commander back there, make sure the whole defense is set up right. So, it’s a lot that goes into it.”

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#12 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Day 2 observations:

• Tempers flared in the 90-degree heat with the first on-field scuffles of camp. The first one involved two rookies: tight end Crockett Gillmore and defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan started a fight that ended with a small pile-up of players. Then, in the final half hour of practice, wide receiver Steve Smith shoved Lardarius Webb after he felt the cornerback contested a pass too vigorously for non-contact minicamp. Smith shoved Webb, and Webb then retaliated. After this exchange, Steve Smith immediately caught a pass against Jimmy Smith and Webb followed that up by knocking down a pass away from Owen Daniels on the next play. Smith and Webb are very competitive players.
  • Of all the practices open to the media this offseason, this was the sharpest one for quarterback Joe Flacco. There was a long stretch where the ball didn't hit the ground in full-team and seven-on-seven drills. His best throw was a deep one down the middle of the field to Steve Smith, who got behind safety Matt Elam. Flacco was spot-on with most of his throws.
  • While Flacco excelled, the wide receivers stood out for the wrong reasons. There were too many drops for a second straight day.Marlon BrownTorrey SmithJace Davis and Jacoby Jones all let passes go through their hands in a short period of team drills. Defensive players do push-ups on the field when they drop interceptions. Maybe the same rule should apply to the Ravens' wide receivers.
  • Wide receiver Jeremy Butler continues to make plays this offseason. The rookie from Tennessee-Martin is trying to become the latest undrafted success story for the Ravens. Butler is making more catches than the other players who are competing for one of the last receiver spots on the team such as Michael CampanaroDeonte Thompson and LaQuan Williams. Butler's path got easier when the Ravens waivedAaron Mellette, too.
  • It looks like it will be an uphill battle for Will Rackley to make the team. A third-round pick in 2011, Rackley started 25 games for the Jacksonville Jaguars before being released earlier this year. Right now, Rackley is running with the Ravens' third team and is behind backups A.Q. Shipley and Ryan Jensen on the depth chart.
  • Defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore joined the list of injured players not practicing after hurting his hamstring toward the end of Tuesday's workout. That led to more increased reps for rookie Brent Urban with the second team. The players not practicing for a second straight day are: defensive tackle Terrence Cody (hip), offensive linemanJah Reid (calf), wide receiver Kamar Aiken (lower leg) and offensive tackle Parker Graham (undisclosed).

Edited by PolishRifle, 18 June 2014 - 05:03 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#13 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

His best throw was a deep one down the middle of the field to Steve Smith, who got behind safety Matt Elam.

Not sure I can get too excited about this but I'll take it. :D

Edited by Bullrush, 18 June 2014 - 05:07 PM.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#14 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Not sure I can get too excited about this but I'll take it. :D

You can't have both, Joe AND the secondary looking great. BTW, Russelstreet is giving Joe some love also:

"Quarterback Joe Flacco was locked and loaded today and very accurate;"

I just hope this doesn't become a trend

"however, his receivers struggled to hang onto the football. Jacoby Jones dropped a ball that hit him in the chest, and Marlon Brown dropped two catchable balls, one of which was intercepted by rookie cornerback Deji Olatoye."

Outch! Here's a link to the whole thing:

http://russellstreetreport.com/minicamp-notes-things-get-a-bit-chippy/

Edited by PolishRifle, 18 June 2014 - 05:13 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#15 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,348 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

As much as we appreciate the updates from minicamp, please don't copy material without citing your source and providing a link. There are copyright laws.
15fqib6.jpg

#16 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Anybody know who got cut?

Nobody as of now.
Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#17 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Any word on Crockett Gillmore aside from his fight with Timmy?

Those drops are a bit of a worry. Then again, I remember Dallas Clark struggling with them early during the last season and he improved a lot as it wore on, so you'd think these guys start to look a bit better as the camps wear on and they build chemistry with Joe. Hopefully they're getting most of them out of the way now.

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Any word on Crockett Gillmore aside from his fight with Timmy?

Those drops are a bit of a worry. Then again, I remember Dallas Clark struggling with them early during the last season and he improved a lot as it wore on, so you'd think these guys start to look a bit better as the camps wear on and they build chemistry with Joe. Hopefully they're getting most of them out of the way now.

I believe Hensley said in one of his chats that Crockett has had quite a few bounce off of his hands.

Edited by rmw10, 18 June 2014 - 06:50 PM.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#19 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

I still have hope that we can take care of the dropsies. We don't want it to become too contagious lol. 

#20 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

I didn't see Bernard Pierce on the injury list, so is it safe to assume he's healthy and practicing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users