53-Man Roster      Practice Squad      Kickoff Week      #PlayLikeARaven   

Photo

Where do you stand on Dean Pees as our DC and why?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Pees is a bit of a polarizinI have defdended Pees succeeg figure with Ravens fans.  He's had 2 seasons as DC, helps win a Super Bowl by duct taping a raged-tag, injured defense (Suggs, Lewis, Reed, Webb) together and then follows up 2013 with a dud after losing Lewis and Reed.  Some have said he's worse that Greg Mattison and some of the defensivce stats indicate that.  However, Pees is a product of New England and as such does not think like a typical AFC North coach.  Under Belichick's system he learned to be practical, pragmatic and opportunististic.  He focuses on reducing red zone scores, 3rd down conversion and takeaways as opposed to yardage-stingy top 5 ranked defenses.

I understand he not Rex Ryan or Chuck pagano.  It is my belief he was brought in to imitate somewhat of the Patriots do to free up cap space for Joe and other playmakers especially in light of the fact that the 19 teams in the NFL spend more money of defense by average salary:

In the top 32 averages salaries the Ravens have only 1 player (Ngata).
In the top 50 they have only 2 (Webb)
In the top 100 they have only 3 (Sizzle)
In the top 150 they have only 4 (Dumervil)
In the top 200 they have only 5 (D. Smith)

The Ravens aren't spending big money overall on defense, and the Ravens don't have many of the 200 most valuable defenders.  Yet we expect it to be a top 5 defense.

What is YOUR take on Pees performance?  Should he be on the hot seat for last year's defense or given a pass because it was the first year without the on field vision of Lewis and Reed?

“Attack this day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”  

~ Harbaugh family creed

#2 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,957 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Not as good as most of our past coordinators, but solid.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,203 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

I'm not the biggest Pees fan. But he's not entirely at fault for the defenses struggles. The defense had it's moments last year. Suggs and Dumervil were at times, mainly the beginning of the year, VERY effective..... Only to get gassed by the end of the game due to an incompetent offense.

Yeah, not everything was his fault. If the offense sucks, the defense is gonna get tired. I guarentee you, if we has a semi decent offense who could stay on the field, the defense would've been better in the fourth.

I do think Pees is ultra conservative, but he's not entirely to blame

#4 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

I see him as a serviceable DC... I sure wish Pags didn't get that head coaching gig though!

#5 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,639 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Our offense will be better this year and our defense should be better this year, so for me it's TBD....

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#6 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Pees has the experience and knowledge of the game that we need. I believe his best trait as a coach is our redzone defense, it's been great the last 2 years. I think he's done a solid job with what he's had. Ideally, I'd like the Jets to fire Rex Ryan after this season and we bring him back as the DC ... but that's a pipe dream lol. 

Edited by TDubbs, 11 June 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#7 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

I see him as a serviceable DC... I sure wish Pags didn't get that head coaching gig though!

I still would like to see Rex back. However, Pees did a good job, when consider what a tough spot he was put in with all the injuries he had to deal with at the begining of his carreer as the DC of the Ravens and than the rebuilding phase following the SB win. That's alot of young talent he needs to coach. I think he's one of the better DC's the Ravens had. I still miss Rex, though. :)

Our offense will be better this year and our defense should be better this year, so for me it's TBD....

I agree, our offense put alot of pressure on the defense, the way they couldn't stay on the field. If Kubiak manages to work his magic with Flacco, though, we might have a top 10 offense to complement our top 10 defense. I know, it's premature, but I can dream, right?

Edited by PolishRifle, 11 June 2014 - 08:04 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#8 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Pees is a bit of a polarizinI have defdended Pees succeeg figure with Ravens fans.  He's had 2 seasons as DC, helps win a Super Bowl by duct taping a raged-tag, injured defense (Suggs, Lewis, Reed, Webb) together and then follows up 2013 with a dud after losing Lewis and Reed.  Some have said he's worse that Greg Mattison and some of the defensivce stats indicate that.  However, Pees is a product of New England and as such does not think like a typical AFC North coach.  Under Belichick's system he learned to be practical, pragmatic and opportunististic.  He focuses on reducing red zone scores, 3rd down conversion and takeaways as opposed to yardage-stingy top 5 ranked defenses.

I understand he not Rex Ryan or Chuck pagano.  It is my belief he was brought in to imitate somewhat of the Patriots do to free up cap space for Joe and other playmakers especially in light of the fact that the 19 teams in the NFL spend more money of defense by average salary:

In the top 32 averages salaries the Ravens have only 1 player (Ngata).
In the top 50 they have only 2 (Webb)
In the top 100 they have only 3 (Sizzle)
In the top 150 they have only 4 (Dumervil)
In the top 200 they have only 5 (D. Smith)

The Ravens aren't spending big money overall on defense, and the Ravens don't have many of the 200 most valuable defenders.  Yet we expect it to be a top 5 defense.

What is YOUR take on Pees performance?  Should he be on the hot seat for last year's defense or given a pass because it was the first year without the on field vision of Lewis and Reed?

Interesting points, and if our offence takes off in the way we've wanted it to in the past couple of years I wouldn't mind him sticking around. If you have two very aggressive styles you end up like the Houston Oilers pre-salary cap, and I do think we want our offence to be the big aggressor (yeah I know the drafts haven't really shown it, but I think it's more complex than that).

I think Pees is there so our defence can keep a lid on things, but that relies on the offence taking over games. And a perfect example of that working would be the SB run. We don't let our defence get torched (hold them to FGs, etc) and the offence wins the games. But this past season didn't really see that, so I'm happy to give him another shot and jump in with the TBD group. Wouldn't mind seeing some more blitzes and making life difficult for opposing QBs though (especially rookie ones).

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#9 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'm not the biggest Pees fan. But he's not entirely at fault for the defenses struggles. The defense had it's moments last year. Suggs and Dumervil were at times, mainly the beginning of the year, VERY effective..... Only to get gassed by the end of the game due to an incompetent offense.

Yeah, not everything was his fault. If the offense sucks, the defense is gonna get tired. I guarentee you, if we has a semi decent offense who could stay on the field, the defense would've been better in the fourth.

I do think Pees is ultra conservative, but he's not entirely to blame

To be fair, the time of possession was very slightly against us this past season (we had the ball for 30:20 a game and our opponents had it for 30:38).

#10 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Not as good as most of our past coordinators, but solid.

Is he? He doesn't have near the talent to work with that the other guys did.....Rex's organized chaos would simply be chaos with the cast we had the past two years

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#11 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I try not to stand on people....

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#12 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm content with Pees. I'm not overly elated that's he's our guy there, but I'm not really frustrated with him, either. I think this year will tell us a lot, so I might choose an actual side of the fence come next offseason depending on what I see this time around.

#13 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Pees has the experience and knowledge of the game that we need. I believe his best trait as a coach is our redzone defense, it's been great the last 2 years. I think he's done a solid job with what he's had. Ideally, I'd like the Jets to fire Rex Ryan after this season and we bring him back as the DC ... but that's a pipe dream lol.

Yes, he is a good d DC, but I miss the pressure packages. This is why people compare him to Mattison. When we have guys like Suggs and Doom to draw attention, we need to be bringing pressure from other spots. With the speed we now have at the LB and S spots, I really want to see us start to get aggressive. But, I don't see that happening with Pees as DC.

As for Rex, I doubt he would ever return after we passed on him for Harbs. Too bad because he was a great DC, and will be again once the Jets give him the boot, but I don't think there would be any way he would do it here.

#14 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,672 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Solid defensive coordinator. I think that describes him best. Would I hire Wade Phillips over him? Yes.

Unless he wanted to take a break from coaching, I'm amazed no one has taken him yet. I'd love to have him on the staff.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#15 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

So far I'm a fan.  There weren't really any times where his play calling was total crap in my opinion.  Not like Mattison and the memorable 3 man rush trying to finish out games.

Belichick is a defensive genius so whatever he learned in New England I am fine with.  Our legendary 2000 defense wasn't even ranked 1st in yards that season.  It's all about points.  

Looking at our group of players I don't fault Pees at all.  A lot of young guys and a lot of turnover.  I recall last season most of the mistakes being the players fault.  Not playing the ball correctly, poor coverage, missed tackles.  Haven't really seen any problems I can directly put on Pees.

Edited by dhstandard, 11 June 2014 - 08:46 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#16 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yes, he is a good d DC, but I miss the pressure packages. This is why people compare him to Mattison. When we have guys like Suggs and Doom to draw attention, we need to be bringing pressure from other spots. With the speed we now have at the LB and S spots, I really want to see us start to get aggressive. But, I don't see that happening with Pees as DC.

As for Rex, I doubt he would ever return after we passed on him for Harbs. Too bad because he was a great DC, and will be again once the Jets give him the boot, but I don't think there would be any way he would do it here.

We have used a few pressure moves this past season - particularly from Arthur Brown and Daryl Smith - but I agree it'd be nice to see a few more, to keep an OL honest. With Mosley brought in and Elam getting closer to the LoS, I could see a few more fun moves in the future. But we'll see.

#17 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

i think pees is pretty damn good and i dont get why so many dont like him. he may be "conservative" in the sense that he doesnt bring that heavy blitz consistently, but he keeps it mixed up, and his situational play calling is pretty spot on, he has his slip ups, but that can also be a lack of execution, but for the most part, when the chips are down, he knows what play call to make and he does it well, last year was a matter of not executing in crucial moments

#18 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

I like Pees, his defense isn't about athleticism but more on positioning and reads. Works well with the veterans we have, and also forces our young guys to learn the game. I'm fine with him.

He's shown us that he can game plan very well, we just struggle sometimes with adjustments, but I don't know who to blame for that. 

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#19 edthehead

edthehead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

imho,,he is serviceable he is good he would not be my top 5 DC,I like those aggressive chaotic defenses,, we have a patriot type def,it is OK ,,,    

#20 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

I wish he would be a bit more aggressive outside the redzone but he has a good redzone defense which helps. As said, he has a similar style to that of the Pats old defenses. I think he is a good DC but I wouldn't go call him some great mastermind. He does a good job and the defense is respectable. Hopefully with the talent on that squad now, he can make this defense even better(should also throw in an improved offense to control TOP even though it wasn't that lopsided to start).

In Ozzie We Trust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users