Bullrush

Top 25 Breakout Players: Jimmy Smith.

39 posts in this topic

One of our players is getting some love right now in the media. Prisco from CBS came up with his Top 25 candidates to breakout this year and Jimmy is one of them:

Jimmy Smith, CB, Baltimore Ravens -- In his third season with the Ravens, Smith started all 16 games in 2013 and showed an ability to match up in man coverage. He is big and physical at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds and was one of the more underrated corners in the league last season. Watch him this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24581140/prisco-top-25-breakout-players-in-the-nfl-for-2015

We all saw him break out after the 1st half of the season last year but this year he's on everybody's radar from day 1 and should be a pro bowler / all pro if everything goes well. :)

Edited by Bullrush

Jimmy's mental game is getting to where it needs to be to be a #1 CB ... His physicality has been there since day 1. I'm definitely excited to see him go toe to toe with AJ Green week 1. 

Jimmy's mental game is getting to where it needs to be to be a #1 CB ... His physicality has been there since day 1. I'm definitely excited to see him go toe to toe with AJ Green week 1. 

Given how we seem to keep a lid on opposing WR1s, I'd say AJ doesn't share your excitement for that matchup.

He's a year late

I'm pretty sure you meant Prisco, so I don't know why this is getting negged. Unless I'm reading the wrong thing into it.

Edited by Inqui

By the end of last year, he was already one of the top #1's in the game. He's top 5-10 if he can do it for a whole season this time.

Edited by ravensnick

The guy doesnt have the fluid hips he is above average but will never amongst the leagues best

The guy doesnt have the fluid hips he is above average but will never amongst the leagues best

His hips are fine, it's anticipation and balance he needs.  And for 8 games there he was well above average... 

He gave up 5 yards to Calvin Johnson in Man coverage... if you think that's average man, then I just don't getcha.

His best game, in my opinion, was against Brandon Marshall. You could tell Marshall was frustrated when playing against him. 

Edited by MrPlankton

His hips are fine, it's anticipation and balance he needs.  And for 8 games there he was well above average... 

He gave up 5 yards to Calvin Johnson in Man coverage... if you think that's average man, then I just don't getcha.

Yeah ok i recall MT torching him BUT dropping most of the balls...Like another posting said lets see what AJ Green does to him week one.

I'd argue for 12

Yeah ok i recall MT torching him BUT dropping most of the balls...Like another posting said lets see what AJ Green does to him week one.

He didn't drop most of the balls.  He had one drop on a bad ball where he came open on a fade for a TD, but even then Jimmy had pretty good positioning.

You don't play Brandon Marshall like that on accident.  On the goal line. And I agree, AJ's a tough maatchup for him because he's so shifty.

I'm pretty sure you meant Prisco, so I don't know why this is getting negged. Unless I'm reading the wrong thing into it.

Yep, I guess the "Jimmy is a bust" crowd took offense

Probably the same thing that happened when they squared off in college -- Jimmy shut him down.

Probably the same thing that happened when they squared off in college -- Jimmy shut him down.

They switched sides to get away from Jimmy.

They switched sides to get away from Jimmy.

Beat me to it. Georgia purposely schemed AJ Green to be as far away from Jimmy as possible

I thought Jimmy broke out in the 2012 playoffs/SB and carrying into last year to be honest, nobody in the media took notice though because his last name wasn't Revis, Sherman, or Peterson. Remember that job he did on Calvin Johnson? I do expect him to be even better this season though and solidify himself as a top 10 man cover guy in the NFL by the end of the year.

Him and Webb. Webb was talking about his knee being more bouncy and that he was more comfortable then he's been in the last two years. Good news in the secondary with Elam garnering unsolicited praise for his progress as well and him moving back to the SS position. If Darian Stewart can come in and play decent at FS or Jeremy Miles, we're going to have a pretty decent secondary. The #3CB position is also in the air until we see a couple preseason games but I don't doubt that Ozzie likes Chykie Brown for a reason. 

What about Pop Warner league?

Beat me to it. Georgia purposely schemed AJ Green to be as far away from Jimmy as possible

I guess he didnt face anyone as good as Edelman or Amendola in college those two world beaters put on a clinic in the pro match up.

Probably shut him down then too

I'm just imagining a Pop Warner coach shuffling a 10-year-old AJ Green around the formation (the fact that he's appearing in my mind as a midget version of AJ Green just makes it weirder).

Jimmy Smith has been playing good ball.  A "breakout" year from him will not get the Raven's into the playoffs.

The Ravens will need 10 additional "breakout" players to contend.

Those humbling defeats to the Broncos and Patriots were not mirages.

Edited by Poes Crows

While I agree, Jimmy's game was much improved over the latter half of the season but as mentioned earlier, he's got a payday coming to him that could be sparking that motivation.  Once he inks that paycheck, we'll see if he continues to play at this high of a level or if he starts to quietly slink back into the shadows.

I guess he didnt face anyone as good as Edelman or Amendola in college those two world beaters put on a clinic in the pro match up.

You're obviously not a Ravens fan... which is why I'm confused. Why do you have the profile pic that you have if you clearly don't like the team?

Jimmy is a top-notch player. I don't heap praise like that on everybody (except Jordan Matthews), and I was a critic of Smith's before he started showing his potential in the 49ers-Ravens super bowl game. Like it or not, the kid has shutdown potential.

Very good question....I was weak. :(

That's a good one.

While I agree, Jimmy's game was much improved over the latter half of the season but as mentioned earlier, he's got a payday coming to him that could be sparking that motivation.  Once he inks that paycheck, we'll see if he continues to play at this high of a level or if he starts to quietly slink back into the shadows.

Why is the payday even a issue. First of all the team picked up the 5th year option so if he is driven by the money, you'll get this year and next year of quality play. But more importantly there has been no signs that Jimmy is the type of guy that would get big money and check out. He came to Baltimore with a bad wrap but has been a model citizen since being here. He does strong community work, if you ever hear him on the sidelines he's a leader amongst the secondary and he mentioned how he and Webby competes to be the top CB on team, even when they are competing as neighbors. I don't see a guy that you worry about paying in Jimmy.

Jimmy doesn't strike me as a "get paid & sit back and relax" type of guy. He's the exact opposite. He is very mature, he has really developed into the leader in the backfield, he always holds everybody accountable, he's always dealing with the media, doing interviews all the time. He's grown a lot. Give him another year and possibly a Pro Bowl berth / All Pro consideration (plus that new contract) and he will become the face of our defense. Jimmy is the last guy I'd worry about...

Those were in what's known as zone coverage.

You're obviously not a Ravens fan... which is why I'm confused. Why do you have the profile pic that you have if you clearly don't like the team?

Jimmy is a top-notch player. I don't heap praise like that on everybody (except Jordan Matthews), and I was a critic of Smith's before he started showing his potential in the 49ers-Ravens super bowl game. Like it or not, the kid has shutdown potential.

I just need to see more production as in a full season as a starter before I declare a first round draft pick a lock in hall of famer. With Graham out of the picture he will get his shot.