+35

#22 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Run blocking wasn't the issue. Pass blocking was, so it's kind of harsh throwing Boller under the bus like that as he really didn't have a lot of time in the pocket. We had big maulers up front, Mulitalo, Flynn, Bennie Anderson, Zeus, they were awful when it came to pass protect. Also Kyle did involve Heap heavily, he was a top 3-5 TE during that time I think. Outside of Heap he didn't have anybody to throw the ball to. Randy Hymes, Travis Taylor, Frank Sanders...yuck.

That said, he is a bust of course and he didn't even come close to playing up to his potential. A wasted pick. But he really didn't have a lot of help. I always feel like picking his side whenever we discuss busts. I still remember some of our "fans" cheering when he got injured and they had to cart him off the field, that's how much hatred some people had towards him yet he never said a bad thing, always stayed classy and even went beyond that saying he understands those "fans". He was also tough as nails. Can't forget the Chucky face he kept making whenever he took a big shot. He gets up, he's injured/hurt, he sucks it up and keeps going. How can you hate that guy. Can we bring him back please? :)

Stop me if you'd heard this before...

Our quarterback doesn't have anyone to protect him, the offensive line is the problem.

Our quarterback has absolutely nobody to throw to.  We must get a "true #1 receiver!"

Come on man.  If you can't see how bad Boller was, you shouldn't be commenting on here.  And you praise him for "never saying anything" bad?  He was the luckiest guy in the world.  He got to play on a very talented team and held on to the starting job many years longer than he should have.  Why would he say anything?  I wouldn't rock the boat either if I was in that lucky of a situation and yet that bad.  The Head Coach was willing to lose his job for him.... and eventually, he did.  Boller was going to say as little as possible! 

I'll agree that Boller had a lot less receiving talent to work with than Flacco has had... but he still didn't need to make the horrible mistakes weekly.  "Just don't turn the ball over" was the motto back then.  And he couldn't do that.

Boller is easily the biggest bust in Ravens history.

I don't know how names like Demetrius Williams and Sergio Kindle even got brought up in this topic.  Nobody was going around expecting Demetrius Williams to be a star in the NFL.  Maybe a FEW people in Ravens Land thought he could produce.  But a STAR?  That wasn't expected, especially not from the much less biased world outside Ravens Land.

Sergio Kindle dropped in the draft because of injury and character issues.  His NFL career ended very soon after being drafted due to injury and character issues.  Not really a bust.  It was a shot in the dark.  Not a pick holding all hopes for the future of the franchise.

Not a must, but one of the more tragic players in Ravens history would have to be Mark Clayton.  That guy was just really down-to-earth, very intelligent, and pretty good on the field.  The fact he had to retire while still young is sad, but what I hate even more is that most people will only remember the dropped ball he had in the playoffs that one year.

#23 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Joe Flacco

Despite my feelings of Flacco being vastly overrated by Ravens fans...

it's impossible to call him a bust.  That just makes no sense.

You can't be the starting quarterback on a team that goes to the playoffs 5 straight years... and be considered a bust.  Now, if you were riding the bench and they went to the playoffs.... maybe.  But Flacco was on the field for all of those games.  He did contribute.  And they even ended up with a Super Bowl win where he threw 0 interceptions the entire playoffs. 

He's definitely not making the progress I would've wanted to see before signing him to an extension... but he's not a bust.  Not even close.

#24 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Gotta say Boller.  

I remember seeing the highlights of him throwing the ball 60 yards from his knees and everyone saying how he was going to be a beast.  wow, wrong, wrong and wrong. No beasting, just busting.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#25 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Also, based on the fact that most people old enough to have seen Boller play all agree that he was the biggest bust by far....

it's hard to label Travis Taylor as a bust, since Boller was the one throwing to him.

I guess Taylor was a bust, but I'd say that makes Boller even more of a bust for causing another draft pick to bust.

And since I don't feel I've said the word enough in the post... bust, bust, bust!

#26 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,249 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

it's impossible to call him a bust. That just makes no sense.

You can't be the starting quarterback on a team that goes to the playoffs 5 straight years... and be considered a bust. Now, if you were riding the bench and they went to the playoffs.... maybe. But Flacco was on the field for all of those games. He did contribute. And they even ended up with a Super Bowl win where he threw 0 interceptions the entire playoffs.

He's definitely not making the progress I would've wanted to see before signing him to an extension... but he's not a bust. Not even close.

I just wanted to beat the cool kids in picking him
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#27 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

it's impossible to call him a bust.  That just makes no sense.

You can't be the starting quarterback on a team that goes to the playoffs 5 straight years... and be considered a bust.  Now, if you were riding the bench and they went to the playoffs.... maybe.  But Flacco was on the field for all of those games.  He did contribute.  And they even ended up with a Super Bowl win where he threw 0 interceptions the entire playoffs. 

He's definitely not making the progress I would've wanted to see before signing him to an extension... but he's not a bust.  Not even close.

^^ Pretty sure someone hacked edreedfromtheu's account. Probably Flacco's momma, lol

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#28 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Also, based on the fact that most people old enough to have seen Boller play all agree that he was the biggest bust by far....

it's hard to label Travis Taylor as a bust, since Boller was the one throwing to him.

I guess Taylor was a bust, but I'd say that makes Boller even more of a bust for causing another draft pick to bust.

And since I don't feel I've said the word enough in the post... bust, bust, bust!

I still think Travis Taylor would have been a very solid player had he played almost anywhere but here. He had no chance
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#29 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

I just wanted to beat the cool kids in picking him

+35 for employing a very underappreciated tactic (reverse-trolling...is that a thing? If not, then +47)

#30 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Dont we have nine other threads just like this ?

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#31 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Dont we have nine other threads just like this ?

35 others, by my count.

Anyway, Boller is probably number 1 for me, but Kindle and Dan Cody are close behind.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#32 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hard to throw Kindle in the "Bust" category, when he was impacted by an accident post draft that clearly diminished his skills. He wasn't a horrible athlete miss evaluated by our front office and outclassed by the talent in the league going in.

In regard to the later, Matt Elam is clearly a horrendous selection.  Anybody else calling this guy a top of the board selection as our front office did would be drummed out of a job.

Going out on the limb just a little with this one, but the view here is that C.J. Mosley has been similarly miss evaluated and certainly has epic potential to crash and burn as spectacularly as our worst disappointments.

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#33 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hard to throw Kindle in the "Bust" category, when he was impacted by an accident post draft that clearly diminished his skills. He wasn't a horrible athlete miss evaluated by our front office and outclassed by the talent in the league going in.

In regard to the later, Matt Elam is clearly a horrendous selection.  Anybody else calling this guy a top of the board selection as our front office did would be drummed out of a job.

Going out on the limb just a little with this one, but the view here is that C.J. Mosley has been similarly miss evaluated and certainly has epic potential to crash and burn as spectacularly as our worst disappointments.

You never give up, do you?

#34 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

You never give up, do you?

Shhhhhhhhh!
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#35 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Boller. Not even close. Dude had Ogden watching his back, and an overall solid OL, Jamal and Heap, and some absurd defenses....and still managed to be one of the worst starting QBs in the game.

And as rmw said, we paid out the rear for that priviledge

As far as I am concerned, there is no reason for this poll/thread. This should be everyone's choice.

#36 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

Stop me if you'd heard this before...

Our quarterback doesn't have anyone to protect him, the offensive line is the problem.

Our quarterback has absolutely nobody to throw to.  We must get a "true #1 receiver!"

Would you mind explaining to me what this has to do with anything? Is anybody arguing that Flacco is a bust? What are you talking about?

Come on man.  If you can't see how bad Boller was, you shouldn't be commenting on here.  And you praise him for "never saying anything" bad?  He was the luckiest guy in the world.  He got to play on a very talented team and held on to the starting job many years longer than he should have.  Why would he say anything?  I wouldn't rock the boat either if I was in that lucky of a situation and yet that bad.  The Head Coach was willing to lose his job for him.... and eventually, he did.  Boller was going to say as little as possible!

First of all talk like a person. I've been here on this board and asked to mod this place years before you were even part of it so calm down. You are mixing a bunch of things up in order to prove a point, but it makes no sense at all. We had a talented team, that's true. A team with a great defense and a great running game. Now explain to me how that helps Boller as a QB throwing the ball and avoid being sacked. It doesn't. He had no help around him when it came to throwing the ball, and that's my point. Was he bad? Yes. Was he a bust? Yes. Was he thrown into a great situation here? Of course not. His offensive coordinator was Matt Cavanaugh, arguably the most vanilla coordinator in Ravens history, he had no business running an offense in the NFL. We ran the ball twice on 1st and 2nd down, it that wasn't enough to get a 1st down then Boller had to throw it on 3rd down, so it's kind of hard to produce good numbers there and not get sacked/pressured and not turn the ball over if that's your main job. It just wasn't a situation you'd put a young 1st round QB in.

I'll agree that Boller had a lot less receiving talent to work with than Flacco has had... but he still didn't need to make the horrible mistakes weekly.  "Just don't turn the ball over" was the motto back then.  And he couldn't do that.

Boller is easily the biggest bust in Ravens history.

Boller was never a true turnover machine. Our offense back then just never got anything going, we were unable to move the ball in the passing game. The main reasons were Cavanaugh/Billick that kept this passing game hostage and handcuffed for years, the bad QB play (Boller) combined with awful pass protection from our O-Line.

The biggest bust in Ravens history in my opinion has to be Travis Taylor. Nobody really thought Boller was all that good when we drafted him. That pick was out of desperation. Remember, we had 2 1st rounders that year and no QB really. So we traded our next years pick to pick up Boller, at around ~20. In reality he should have gone somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd round but we were desperate for a QB. Taylor however was a top 10 pick for us and he was just flat out awful in every area. He couldn't catch, he couldn't run routes, he was short, he lacked speed, toughness. Just awful. And as a WR it's up to YOU to play well. You don't need a great coordinator, you don't need a great O-Line, you don't need a great QB. You just have to beat your man and catch the balls thrown at you and that's not what he did. As a QB you have to have a foundation, decent pass protection, decent coordinating, maybe a decent running game and a couple of receivers you can count on. But as a WR it's entirely up to you to produce. If you can't catch, if you can't get open you have nobody to blame but yourself. I'll go with Travis Taylor or Lord Dropalot, I think that was his nickname here back then.

Anyway, back to my other candidates / honorable mentions:

- WR Devard Darling (sad story off the field but on the field he was just garbage)

- OT Adam Terry (he had so much time to get ready, had Ogden coaching him for years, but he was just incredibly bad)

- CB David Pittman (might as well just donated that pick to some other team during the draft, what a waste of a choice he turned out to be)

- WR/KR Yamon Figurs (whoo look at me I can run fast, now what?)

- LB Tavares Gooden (some people actually thought he'd be the next Ray Lewis just because they both went to Miami and had some speed)

- NT Terrence Cody (epitome of underachieving)

- DE/LB Courtney Upshaw (so lazy, doesn't seem to care)

Arthur Brown needs to pick it up this year...

Incomplete (injuries held them back, who knows what could have been):

- DE/LB Dan Cody

- RB Musa Smith

- WR Demetrius Williams

- DE/LB Sergio Kindle

Edited by Bullrush, 05 June 2014 - 02:07 AM.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#37 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:13 AM

Elam? That's ridiculous...

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#38 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Run blocking wasn't the issue. Pass blocking was, so it's kind of harsh throwing Boller under the bus like that as he really didn't have a lot of time in the pocket. We had big maulers up front, Mulitalo, Flynn, Bennie Anderson, Zeus, they were awful when it came to pass protect. Also Kyle did involve Heap heavily, he was a top 3-5 TE during that time I think. Outside of Heap he didn't have anybody to throw the ball to. Randy Hymes, Travis Taylor, Frank Sanders...yuck.

That said, he is a bust of course and he didn't even come close to playing up to his potential. A wasted pick. But he really didn't have a lot of help. I always feel like picking his side whenever we discuss busts. I still remember some of our "fans" cheering when he got injured and they had to cart him off the field, that's how much hatred some people had towards him yet he never said a bad thing, always stayed classy and even went beyond that saying he understands those "fans". He was also tough as nails. Can't forget the Chucky face he kept making whenever he took a big shot. He gets up, he's injured/hurt, he sucks it up and keeps going. How can you hate that guy. Can we bring him back please? :)

i never hated kyle boller, and i also cant understand the flat out hatred for him. he wasnt very good, wasnt very smart, and yes, he wasted a few years for our franchise, but that was billicks fault for demanding we trade up for him, and it was also billicks fault for not allowing us to pursue other options until 06 and insisting that boller is our starter. boller had a ton of heart, he took a massive beating every week and got right back up with a smile on his face and went right back to the huddle, knowing the same thing would happen on the next snap. 

zero talent besides arm strength, but he had heart through the roof.

#39 Drew P

Drew P

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Let me see you get your skull cracked & then become great in the NFL.......

It was reported here in Texas before the draft the guy had bum knees...soooo he tumbled literally and then physically. Teams knew he was a dud long before he got toasted and bounced on his coconut.

#40 KnowNoLimits

KnowNoLimits

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

It was reported here in Texas before the draft the guy had bum knees...soooo he tumbled literally and then physically. Teams knew he was a dud long before he got toasted and bounced on his coconut.

I'm 98% percent sure that our organization would've known of these "bum knees", therefore they wouldn't have wasted a 2nd round pick on him.....

Define NFL Bust to me???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users