Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

2nd Year Guys 2013 Draft

53 posts in this topic

For me its going to be Juice and Owen Daniels.  Juice is an amazing athlete that has spent big time in the gym and it shows.  I will never forget how he knocked that guy out on special teams.........wow....... He can be a legitimate beast in this offense. 

I know we drafted Mosley and re-signed Smith but I really like Arthur Brown as a potential player who could earn more time. I think we'll use three LB more and more this year. That will help him stay on the field.

I also love Williams and Lewis-Moore as players who all likely standout. I think Williams will be much more prominent, however, with KLM in more of a reserve and rotational role.

I'm not sure how I feel about Juszczyk but I'm saying both he and Marlon don't impress much this year. I think Marlon will slump and I see Juszczyk struggling to learn and execute the new offense.

I think Wagner will definitely play a major role.

I know we drafted Mosley and re-signed Smith but I really like Arthur Brown as a potential player who could earn more time. I think we'll use three LB more and more this year. That will help him stay on the field.

I also love Williams and Lewis-Moore as players who all likely standout. I think Williams will be much more prominent, however, with KLM in more of a reserve and rotational role.

I'm not sure how I feel about Juszczyk but I'm saying both he and Marlon don't impress much this year. I think Marlon will slump and I see Juszczyk struggling to learn and execute the new offense.

Kyle fits the James Casey thing and has good hands so I think the opposite. I agree with everything else.

Mosley and Brown will be a hell of a duo for the next 5+ years

Kyle fits the James Casey thing and has good hands so I think the opposite. I agree with everything else.

Mosley and Brown will be a hell of a duo for the next 5+ years

It's not his hands. I'm just sold on him being strong enough yet. I'm going off what I've seen but I can't say he's strong enough to beat starters at this moment. If he can awesome.

I feel the exact opposite, especially with Juice. I sort of agree with Brown as I don't see him getting as many opportunities to develop as that 2nd year guy, initially I didn't think we would use as much 2TE as many were thinking but it seems both PItta and O.D are looking really good thus far and it's that's the case, it's foolish not to use those guys as much as possible.

But with Juice, I really think this guy is gonna start to make a name for himself this year. He fits that H-Back role perfectly and I doubt Kubes would have such high expectation for the guy if he was struggling to pick up the offense. I think he's gonna be an really important part of this offense.

It's not his hands. I'm just sold on him being strong enough yet. I'm going off what I've seen but I can't say he's strong enough to beat starters at this moment. If he can awesome.

I think he's plenty strong enough. I think we have to remember that last year we were looking at him being a pure FB and that wasn't him style. He had to adjust to that role and build his body to fill that role. However now, he's not gonna be asked to be a pure FB, he's more of Anthony Allen then Vontae Leach and I think we both had visions of AA being converted to a FB/HB type.

Now i'm not saying you don't have to be strong and power as a FB in this system, but you don't have to be as strong as we needed him to be last season. This blocking scheme is more about getting the defense to flow one way and present a cut-back for the ball carrier. So the FB doesn't have to be the hammer that Leach was, would It be nice for him to be? yes but it's not needed. This is one of the reason, along with money, why the Texans allowed Leach to walk. I think playing on ST last year really helped Juice develop his blocking and staying in the weight room helped build that strength. I'm really interested in seeing him this year. He could end up being the steal of the 2013 draft.

now i hate blowing up players who are completely unproven, but i can see a majority of our 2013 class being damn solid for us. williams, art brown, wagner, and juszczyk are probably all going to be solid contributors, jensen could make for solid depth 

EDIT: forgot to mention KLM, im thinking he has a 6+ sack season

But with Juice, I really think this guy is gonna start to make a name for himself this year. He fits that H-Back role perfectly and I doubt Kubes would have such high expectation for the guy if he was struggling to pick up the offense. I think he's gonna be an really important part of this offense.

I agree. When we drafted him a year ago I was very skeptical and disappointed w/ the pick. Since then, we have cut Vonta and moved on into a new offense. If you saw the recent highlight vid of Juice on the Ravens Videos you would easily see that this kid has worked insanely hard this offseason, honestly looks like a Peyton Hillis clone. I too think he will be a key component to this offense in taking on that grunt work, and maybe catching a few passes. 

I agree. When we drafted him a year ago I was very skeptical and disappointed w/ the pick. Since then, we have cut Vonta and moved on into a new offense. If you saw the recent highlight vid of Juice on the Ravens Videos you would easily see that this kid has worked insanely hard this offseason, honestly looks like a Peyton Hillis clone. I too think he will be a key component to this offense in taking on that grunt work, and maybe catching a few passes. 

i see him as a pretty big part of the passing game, more so than the run game. he looked so fluid and natural in that video running routes and catching the ball, its obvious that was his strong point in college when you watch that.

i see him as a pretty big part of the passing game, more so than the run game. he looked so fluid and natural in that video running routes and catching the ball, its obvious that was his strong point in college when you watch that.

He catches the ball with his hands outside of his body, I like that. Definitely looks like a natural. Kubiak has always loved PA passes to the FB in the flat .. put Juice in space like that and he will truck some DB's. 

He catches the ball with his hands outside of his body, I like that. Definitely looks like a natural. Kubiak has always loved PA passes to the FB in the flat .. put Juice in space like that and he will truck some DB's. 

my rthoughts exactly, its almost as if ozzie predicted us signing kubiak when he drafted him a whole year earlier, the guy has potential to be such a great x factor in a kubiak system

It looks like we'll get huge production out of this group. Elam and Wagner will start, Williams and Brown will probably have shared roles and see significant time. Lewis-Moore looks good and should be a starter or rotational 3rd down pass rusher. Jensen has impressed initially and looks like a depth player almost anywhere on the line. Juice is going to see snaps in a HB role and some say he will have a big role in this offense.

They have all impressed in OTAs and if any percentage of that holds true this season, we should see large dividends on possibly one of our best all-around drafts in team history. 

Usually I don't like to watch other guys highlight videos and project another guy to that scheme or system, but that's exactly what I did with James Casey. I went back to the 2012 season and Casey was basically used as a 3rd TE and a lot of his catches came while lining up outside the OT. I can see Juice being used in a very similar way.

Juice will basically be a TE who can line up in the backfield as well and block too. Kubes will have so much flexibility with him. I'm interested in seeing both Pitta and O.D. on the field at the same time with Juice as well. That would put so much pressure on a defenses LBs and Safeties. Or line up with Pitta,. O.D, Juice, Rice and BP all on the field at the same time. That would all but force a defense to play heavy to honor the run, but all those guys a capable pass catchers as well. Line Pitta up out wide, with O.D, Juice and BP in a bunch formation on the opposite side, while Rice is the lone back. Do you defend that with Nickle or your base defensive package.

It's great to finally have an offense that will be creatively unpredictable.

It looks like we'll get huge production out of this group. Elam and Wagner will start, Williams and Brown will probably have shared roles and see significant time. Lewis-Moore looks good and should be a starter or rotational 3rd down pass rusher. Jensen has impressed initially and looks like a depth player almost anywhere on the line. Juice is going to see snaps in a HB role and some say he will have a big role in this offense.

They have all impressed in OTAs and if any percentage of that holds true this season, we should see large dividends on possibly one of our best all-around drafts in team history.

I continue to feel like Simon is the forgotten man who could impress from that group. We definitely could use some help in the pass rush department so the opportunities will be there for him and I think he'll capitalize on them. Also can't wait to see how comfortable and free Elam plays this year.

You think a Harvard grad playing fullback will have a difficult time learning the offense? I'm gonna disagree with you for once, lol. Any fullback who struggles to learn an offense simply doesn't belong in the league. Fullback is the easiest position to learn. You never hear about fullbacks struggling to learn a system. The execution part though, I can see. The jury is still out on his blocking.

Usually I don't like to watch other guys highlight videos and project another guy to that scheme or system, but that's exactly what I did with James Casey. I went back to the 2012 season and Casey was basically used as a 3rd TE and a lot of his catches came while lining up outside the OT. I can see Juice being used in a very similar way.

Juice will basically be a TE who can line up in the backfield as well and block too. Kubes will have so much flexibility with him. I'm interested in seeing both Pitta and O.D. on the field at the same time with Juice as well. That would put so much pressure on a defenses LBs and Safeties. Or line up with Pitta,. O.D, Juice, Rice and BP all on the field at the same time. That would all but force a defense to play heavy to honor the run, but all those guys a capable pass catchers as well. Line Pitta up out wide, with O.D, Juice and BP in a bunch formation on the opposite side, while Rice is the lone back. Do you defend that with Nickle or your base defensive package.

It's great to finally have an offense that will be creatively unpredictable.

i would say a wishbone formation with juice and BP up front, rice as the tailback, and OD as the inline TE, it would be more effective if rice could be up front as he and juice are better pass catchers, but rice isnt built to line up that close to the LOS.

The last two drafts are full of players that have us all excited to see how they pan out. 2013 was a solid draft, elam should continue to grow and fit into the defense, along with his leadership in our still young dbacks crew. Arthur brown was easily a favorite around here and we were all pretty excited that we snagged him in the second round especially with the run on lbs in the second round. He played pretty well in his limited nickle role and I can see him forcing the coaching staff to create some type of rotation in order to maximize arthur brown's playing time. I was a huge fan of brandon williams during the draft and I was excited when we drafted him, even though I didn't think nose tackle was a huge need at the time but he is a player well worth getting in the third round. Art jones leaves a huge whole in our dline in terms of snaps, I think the coaching staff will get creative on who to plug in that position. I think brandon williams sees significant playing time, along with Kapron lewis moore.

However the guy I'm looking most forward to see is Rick wagner. He played pretty well in Wisc on both the Right and left side of the line, and that college is known for producing tackles and their running game has been top tier the past 5ish years so that must say something about pedigree of their lineman. All that aside, I liked this pick a lot especially with the value we got him at, in the  5th round. The reason why I'm excited is because he is getting a lot of look at RT with the first team offense. It seems like he is going to be the starter at RT if he gets through training camp and preseason without messing up this opportunity for himself. What he has going for him is that he is a great run blocker and Kubiak's offense relies on great run blockers.

Matt elam is hands down my favorite player from this class but it will be interesting to see if wagner can solidify the RT position for the next 3 years at least

I see Juice (Starting FB) , KLM(top rotational DE/starter?), Brandon Williams(Rotation with Ngata at NT), Wagner (Starting RT), Brown (#3 MLB, maybe even jumping up to a starter towards the end of the year), and Elam (starting SS) with sizable roles. i think Simon could carve out a pass rushing role a la Kruger and he is solid ST at worst. Jensen looks to be a very good backup and Anthony/mellete are long gone. this probably goes down as one of our better drafts.

I will wait before I blow up any member of this class. We've had histories of up and downs drafts.

Especially years like 2004 we hit on 1/7 players (14%) dwan edwards

2005 we hit on 2/7 (29%)clayton, brown

2006 we hit on 3/10 (30%) ngata, landry, and koch

2007 was good 3/7 (43%) grubbs, yanda, and mcclain,

2008 3/10 (30%) flacco, rice, and Zib

2009 best year statistically 3/6 (50%)webb, kruger, and oher

2010 2/7 (29%) pitta, jones

2011 2/8 (25%) Smith brothers

2012 2/8 (25%)Upshaw, Osemele

Results we average a 40% from 2006-2012

2013 2-3 players will hit 

2014 2-3 players will hit

The good news is 2013 and 2014 we have 18 new players on our roster to develop especially our 2013 class.

We re-signed Smith, but I think it's obvious the Ravens have Mosley and Brown penciled in as the future. I'm not saying Smith's tenure here won't go beyond next year and I'm also not implying that anyone is guaranteed anything. I also expect some good things from Brown this upcoming season. 

I also expect good things from Elam and I don't really know why you think Marlon will regress. His limited experience and still has a pretty big learning curve, I expect him to only improve. He might not have the TD numbers he had. I mean just overall at the position he will be more comfortable, he seems to be an eager blocker so in I can see him being a pretty good asset in Kubiak's offense. 

I will wait before I blow up any member of this class. We've had histories of up and downs drafts.

Especially years like 2004 we hit on 1/7 players (14%) dwan edwards

2005 we hit on 2/7 (29%)clayton, brown

2006 we hit on 3/10 (30%) ngata, landry, and koch

2007 was good 3/7 (43%) grubbs, yanda, and mcclain,

2008 3/10 (30%) flacco, rice, and Zib

2009 best year statistically 3/6 (50%)webb, kruger, and oher

2010 2/7 (29%) pitta, jones

2011 2/8 (25%) Smith brothers

2012 2/8 (25%)Upshaw, Osemele

Results we average a 40% from 2006-2012

2013 2-3 players will hit 

2014 2-3 players will hit

The good news is 2013 and 2014 we have 18 new players on our roster to develop especially our 2013 class.

That is a good way of looking at it, but I think you are being a bit narrow.

I will go from 2008 thru 2012, and then my prediction for 2013:

2008 - Key Players: Flacco & Rice (20%); Contributors: Zibby & Nakamura (20%) - Overall (40%)

2009 - Key Players: Oher, Kruger, Webb (50%); Contributors: NA (0%) - Overall (50%)

2010 - Key Players: Pitta & Jones (29%); Contributors: Cody, Dickson, Reed (43%) - Overall (71%)

2011 - Key Players: Jimmy & Torrey (25%); Contributors: Brown & McPhee (25%) - Overall (50%)

2012 - Key Players: Upshaw, Osemele, Pierce (38%); Contributors: Gino & Tyson (25%) - Overall (63%)

So typically we have a record of finding 2-3 players who are key contributors (play a majority of snaps) to this team and about 2 rotational players per draft. There is the potential for more as you may see Tyson, Brown and McPhee get more snaps this season. In addition, our team is becoming (or has already become) very young. This will force the Ravens to give more shots to draft picks (to succeed or fail - see Gino...)

With all that said, my prediction for 2013 is as follows:

Key Players: Elam, Williams, Wagner

Contributors: Brown, Juice, KLM

The future is bright though - I think you see Brown, Juice and KLM become key contributors by the end of next season or 2015.

We re-signed Smith, but I think it's obvious the Ravens have Mosley and Brown penciled in as the future. I'm not saying Smith's tenure here won't go beyond next year and I'm also not implying that anyone is guaranteed anything. I also expect some good things from Brown this upcoming season. 

I also expect good things from Elam and I don't really know why you think Marlon will regress. His limited experience and still has a pretty big learning curve, I expect him to only improve. He might not have the TD numbers he had. I mean just overall at the position he will be more comfortable, he seems to be an eager blocker so in I can see him being a pretty good asset in Kubiak's offense. 

watch the training camp vids of him, he plays very undisciplined, he doesnt plant his feet at all, he doesnt even cut, he just kinda runs and turns hoping he can outjump someone, which doesnt work when you get alligator arms in traffic. 

i like marlon but i think he may have already hit his ceiling, if not then i see him regressing or hitting a wall until around year 4. but if he hit his cieling and averages 500 a season and 7 td's, then he deserves a healthy snap count every year because 7 td's is a big deal