SecretAgentMan

Ed Reed Says He would be interested in coaching Ravens later but...

38 posts in this topic

http://nfltraderumors.co/free-agent-s-ed-reed-still-hoping-to-play-this-season/

Says that he thinks he can still play. 

Ed, your body is breaking down. You're not the player you used to be and probably not even a starter at this point in your career. I'd bring you back as a rotational safety, but at this point I don't think you'll get signed. 

And by that I mean. YOU CAN'T TACKLE ANYMORE.

That being said, I would LOVE to have him as a mentor to Brooks and a secondary coach. We can all get behind this right?

With Reed's knowledge of the game, you'd have to think he'd be a good secondary coach.  Maybe when Pees gets fired next off-season and Spags (likely) takes over, he'll get an opportunity.

Edited by T3hRaven

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't really say anything about him wanting to coach here. He says he wants to be part of this teams because he thinks he can still play, suggesting that he wants to play here and compete for the starting job next to Elam. Love him and would like to see him coach here in the future if he's up for it but his playing days are over.

With Reed's knowledge of the game, you'd have to think he'd be a good secondary coach.  Maybe when Pees gets fired next off-season and Spags (likely) takes over, he'll get an opportunity.

Do you expect the defense to suck that bad? Knowing Harbs, the sky has to be falling on his head before he fires one of his beloved assistants.

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't really say anything about him wanting to coach here. He says he wants to be part of this teams because he thinks he can still play, suggesting that he wants to play here and compete for the starting job next to Elam. Love him and would like to see him coach here in the future if he's up for it but his playing days are over.

Brooks would mop the floor with him in that regard if it were to come to it. His body is so broken down that I doubt he could be a rotational safety on this team without getting hurt. 

Reed will be a coach one day, if he wants to do so. His film study and knowledge of the game is obviously at an elite level. The players will respect him as the future Hall of Famer that he is. I think he'd be welcomed here as a Secondary Coach. 

Brooks would mop the floor with him in that regard if it were to come to it. His body is so broken down that I doubt he could be a rotational safety on this team without getting hurt. 

He's shown late in the season he can still make plays and create turnovers. Also I have to say he was pretty physical and played the run well last season, made some big hits close to the LOS and showed some speed getting there. Either way, he's pretty much done even though like I said he did some decent things late in the year last season. At this point he should only join a team to mentor the young DB's and be more of an insurance. He's tarnishing his own legacy. Don't want to see him be washed up out there like Chad Johnson or Merriman. He needs to quit.

Do you expect the defense to suck that bad? Knowing Harbs, the sky has to be falling on his head before he fires one of his beloved assistants.

I expect it to greatly underperform just like every other year under Passive Pees.  Unfortunately, you're probably right.

He's shown late in the season he can still make plays and create turnovers. Also I have to say he was pretty physical and played the run well last season, made some big hits close to the LOS and showed some speed getting there. Either way, he's pretty much done even though like I said he did some decent things late in the year last season. At this point he should only join a team to mentor the young DB's and be more of an insurance. He's tarnishing his own legacy. Don't want to see him be washed up out there like Chad Johnson or Merriman. He needs to quit.

I have a problem with this... Reed may very well have made plays near the end of the season, but what about the times we played him?? In one game, our dismal run game actually made a fool of him, and in the other game, Joe threw it right over his head for a long TD that he would have easily picked off earlier in his career. I think his playing days are behind him, at least his days of being a significant positive impact on his defense in terms of play (not knowledge, as no one can take this part away from him).

I wish he was a luxury we could afford. I would have no issue with the Ravens signing him as a rotational FS, with all of us knowing he would be here mainly as a mentor to the younger guys. Not saying he wouldn't see playing time, but he would not be a starter.

Actually the quote in that article does seem like he would be willing to take more of a back up role than be a starter.

Now I'm sad. Thanks S.A.M!  I miss Reed and like I said, I wish he was a luxury we could afford.

I wish he was a luxury we could afford. I would have no issue with the Ravens signing him as a rotational FS, with all of us knowing he would be here mainly as a mentor to the younger guys. Not saying he wouldn't see playing time, but he would not be a starter.

Actually the quote in that article does seem like he would be willing to take more of a back up role than be a starter.

Now I'm sad. Thanks S.A.M!  I miss Reed and like I said, I wish he was a luxury we could afford.

I actually think we can afford him money wise...... On a minimum deal.... 

If he truly wanted to be a backup he'd take that

You say that like it's a bad thing. You don't stay consistently good by turning on your guys at the first sign of trouble. That's how you become the browns.

I have a problem with this... Reed may very well have made plays near the end of the season, but what about the times we played him?? In one game, our dismal run game actually made a fool of him, and in the other game, Joe threw it right over his head for a long TD that he would have easily picked off earlier in his career. I think his playing days are behind him, at least his days of being a significant positive impact on his defense in terms of play (not knowledge, as no one can take this part away from him).

He wasn't playing well late in the season, but it was decent compared to what he looked like early in the season when he was in Houston. At least he made some plays. I agree that he's done but he wants to go on it seems.

I've said it before, Reed can't teach a safety to do what he could do.

Yep, that is true. Can't teach speed, can't teach instincts.

But he could give them direction and guidance, and let the players apply what they learn according to their own limits.

Makes me happy to hear this. Of course I'd love for him to come back and coach for us. I don't see why anyone wouldn't?

Hopefully he hangs em up after this upcoming season and gets it going. Even though he's on the Jets, I'll still continue to root for him till he hangs em up.

Edited by Gordo52

The tweets are a bit more clarifying (as per Aaron Wilson):

ed reed 'I could see myself being a part of this organization' meaning ravens as a coach one day 'I know I can still play'

Lardarius Webb on Ed Reed: 'The things that man knows about football, it's amazing. I would love to see him play again.'

Ed Reed: 'I know that I can still play. It's just a matter of the right fit. If not, you guys probably never see me again.'

Edited by Bullrush

@Ravens: Ed Reed said he could see himself back in the Ravens organization at some point working as a coach when he's done playing.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You don't stay consistently good by turning on your guys at the first sign of trouble. That's how you become the browns.

In the cases of some, like our old friend Cam Cameron, that IS a bad thing. Being too loyal to your assistant coaches when they're consistently calling bad plays or underachieving as coaches will get you and your whole crew fired.

But generally you're right, you don't dump a guy Rob Chudzinski-style, he needs some time to establish a system and grow the players within that system. As long as you don't give the guy second and third and fourth chances just because you have some kind of unfounded loyalty towards him, you'll be all right.

I expect it to greatly underperform just like every other year under Passive Pees.  Unfortunately, you're probably right.

Would be pretty damn sad if that was the case considering we spent our top three picks in the draft on defense despite knowing how anemic our offense was last season. I don't think we'll take a step back in that department but we'll see. 

Would be pretty damn sad if that was the case considering we spent our top three picks in the draft on defense despite knowing how anemic our offense was last season. I don't think we'll take a step back in that department but we'll see.

Top 3 picks two years in a row. People need to remember that context.

Pay the man!......... one day's salary and let him retire a Raven.

I'm sure they're going to do this when he finally hangs them up.

I'd take Ed back definitely. He's nowhere near the player he used to be but i think he could still play. The one thing that helps a older player is familiarity. The more comfortable you are with a system the more you can focus on rest over practice. Ed definitely knows this defense and could spend more time mentoring these young guys as a player coach type.

He isn't a starter and probably wouldn't make a big impact on the field but would definitely make a huge one off the field. Despite Ray always being out in front, Ed was said to be more of the big brother/father type to the young players. Torrey Smith credited Ed for helping him cope with losing his brother. It was Ed who organized DB nights at his home to build relationships and teach those guys how to break down film. That's huge especially for young players.

At the end of the day it'd be a one year signing and basically a 16 farewell tour. He'd get 8 games in Baltimore, get a chance to go home to NO, play a revenge game in Houston and possible one more SB run. With such a young group of safeties i think it would be a smart move.

I'm sure they're going to do this when he finally hangs them up.

Right.  My point was that is probably the only way ER will be signed.

I'd take Ed back definitely. He's nowhere near the player he used to be but i think he could still play. The one thing that helps a older player is familiarity. The more comfortable you are with a system the more you can focus on rest over practice. Ed definitely knows this defense and could spend more time mentoring these young guys as a player coach type.

He isn't a starter and probably wouldn't make a big impact on the field but would definitely make a huge one off the field. Despite Ray always being out in front, Ed was said to be more of the big brother/father type to the young players. Torrey Smith credited Ed for helping him cope with losing his brother. It was Ed who organized DB nights at his home to build relationships and teach those guys how to break down film. That's huge especially for young players.

At the end of the day it'd be a one year signing and basically a 16 farewell tour. He'd get 8 games in Baltimore, get a chance to go home to NO, play a revenge game in Houston and possible one more SB run. With such a young group of safeties i think it would be a smart move.

I'm in. Get Ozzie on the phone!

Spags isn't a very good DC imo.  He's a good line coach, but nothing suggests to me from his defenses that he's a good overall DC.  His defenses were good in NY because he had Tuck, Strahan and Osi wrecking Olines.  Goes to St.Louis as a HC and his defense sucks, goes to NO and his defense is historically poo.

Im not a huge fan of Pees, but Pees can coach Spags under the table when it comes to a full defense.

Spags isn't a very good DC imo.  He's a good line coach, but nothing suggests to me from his defenses that he's a good overall DC.  His defenses were good in NY because he had Tuck, Strahan and Osi wrecking Olines.  Goes to St.Louis as a HC and his defense sucks, goes to NO and his defense is historically poo.

Im not a huge fan of Pees, but Pees can coach Spags under the table when it comes to a full defense.

Spags blitzes at least, but I'm not sold on him either.  He just seems like the logical next guy in line.

Edited by T3hRaven

I wouldn't mind it at all. I am fairly sure Reed played a large part in mentoring Webb and he certainly has the football knowledge. I would love to one day see him coaching the DBs

Spags blitzes at least, but I'm not sold on him either. He just seems like the logical next guy in line.

Yeah I was not happy to hear that Indy hired Pagono after just 1 season with us, that 2011 defense was a good one

Spags blitzes at least, but I'm not sold on him either. He just seems like the logical next guy in line.

Either him or Ted Monachino. I wish we could just hire Wade Phillips, to be honest. Edited by Gordo52

I agree with the entire statement. Physically he's not what he was. However, he can still ball hawk, and when QB's see 20 back there they will still think twice. His example of preparation is worth the vet minimum we would be paying him, regardless if he saw the field. His leadership could really help Brooks/Elam to be that dominant tandem that we need.