Training Camp     

Photo

most surprising draft pick in ravens history?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 ludy51

ludy51

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

Who in your opinion was the most surprising pick on any draft day in our history?

#2 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Here is an interesting question. ....
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#3 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Ogden, Suggs, and Flacco should be high on the list. In 1996 most people predicted that we would take Lawrence Philips, and thankfully we passed on him. We took Suggs at #10 overall in 2003. He wasn't expected to still be available than, but a poor time in the 40 yard dash caused him to fall to us.

And in 2008 I think it seemed likely that we would take Matt Ryan until the Falcons scooped him up.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#4 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Ray Lewis, without him we would have no Rings....

#5 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Michael oher was shocking to me. that was about 2 years after I started following the draft so I don't know much about our earlier days and the billick era of drafting, but I was so sure that the biggest thing we wanted was a WR, and I thought with hakeem nicks still on the board that he was easily the BPA, and I would say that turned out to be true, and I would also think it was still a bigger need than RT.

I understand they may have had bigger plans for oher than being a journeyman swing tackle from left to right, and maybe he didn't live up to what he looked like he was capable of, but I still maintain that nicks would've been a better pick, injuries and all.

I almost spit my drink out when goodell opened that envelope and said "Michael oher, offensive tackle, Mississippi"

#6 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ray Lewis, without him we would have no Rings....

This thread is about the most surprising draft picks ever, not necessarily the best.

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#7 Wildabeast88

Wildabeast88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

I would agree with Ogden because the first pick in your franchise history most people would want the sexy pick of a RB like Phillips who was a beast at Nebraska even with his off the field problems. If I remember correctly I believe Modell wanted Phillips but Ozzie stuck to his guns and took Ogden. Not to bad Ozzie's first 2 picks are hall of famers not to bad. Suggs would be up there to we were split between him and Byron Leftwich. Great call Ozzie

Edited by Wildabeast88, 31 May 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#8 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

In retrospect it was Ogden. But to put another name out there I'll say Webb. Small school guy in the 2nd round, definitely remember him having a lot of doubters when that pick came in.

"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Bernard Pierce on a run play" - LOS

#9 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

What kind of question is that? Can you be just A LITTLE specific? Do you mean like guys who turned out to be better than we expected? Worse than expected? "Surprise" as in nobody expected us to draft them? Nobody expected them to fall to us? At least add something to your own thread or clarify what you're trying to say instead of dropping a line and to just disappear.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#10 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,965 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

In retrospect it was Ogden. But to put another name out there I'll say Webb. Small school guy in the 2nd round, definitely remember him having a lot of doubters when that pick came in.

Webb was a 3rd round pick but ur point is still true
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#11 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,965 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

What kind of question is that? Can you be just A LITTLE specific? Do you mean like guys who turned out to be better than we expected? Worse than expected? "Surprise" as in nobody expected us to draft them? Nobody expected them to fall to us? At least add something to your own thread or clarify what you're trying to say instead of dropping a line and to just disappear.

Answer it however you want.. Open ended topic leaves room for greater range of conversation
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#12 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

"Who in your opinion was the most surprising pick on any draft day in our history?" 

That sounds pretty clear to me. The rest is up for interpretation.       

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

#13 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Ray Lewis surprised me because he was considered undersized.

More recently, Ed Dickson. I had a full-blown meltdown when we took him instead of Pitta. I was sure that meant no Pitta for us.
10wmids.jpg

#14 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'll say Heap was kinda unexpected. Yeah, the Ravens did need a young tight end with Sharp getting older, but I didn't expect them to take one in the first round. Figured they would take a developmental guy a little later in the draft. Heap got picked over guys like Brees, Vanden Bosch, and Chad Johnson. Can't complain though, he was one of the best TEs the Ravens have ever had.

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'd say that most surprising regarding what he brought to the team was Jarret Johnson.  I was very young at the time and didn't really scout or anything, but I did watch some college football and at least knew who he was.  I knew he played DL and that was pretty much it.  In retrospect, the fact that we were able to convert a DT into an OLB that is one of the most underrated players in our history is pretty incredible.  I'm not surprised by the pick as it is the impact he had considering the position change.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#16 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Surprizing? Surprizing? Let me think..... Campanaro. I was really surprized.

https://www.youtube....d&v=J6_1Pw1xm9U

Edited by Willbacker, 31 May 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#17 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Sam Koch was another one that surprised me. I didn't expect us to DRAFT a punter.
10wmids.jpg

#18 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

The trade up for Boller was a shocker to me... And disappointing. Thanks Brian....

Edited by bMore Heathen, 31 May 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#19 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Am I allowed to say CJ Mosley? There were a few guys I expected us to go with, but Mosley really wasn't one of them considering Daryl's contract and Arthur Brown waiting in the wings.

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#20 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Gino Reid. I knew both of these guys were bums the moment we picked them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users