#1 RavensDE

RavensDE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

My Current Team Outlook

I hope Wagoner is ready to man that RT spot and we don't have to move our pieces around.  KO has been an able RT in the past but coming off a back surgery makes me nervous enough.  It would be best if Wagoner was able and could grow better over the year but needless to say I'm optimistic at best.  I trust Oz but he has never been one to overload the line with talent.

My Expectations

Oz and Co. will let the OTA's and maybe camp play out before making a move.  They want to see if the guy or another grouping will work for us.  I feel similarly about FS and Brooks.  That said Oz Co. has it's eyes on OT's that might get cut in addition to who's out there.

Veteran Coming to ROOSt in Baltimore?

I didn't get very far into my research before my eyes got big.  Michael Roos is a good candidate to at training camp.  They drafted Tyler Lewan and signed our own Michael Oher in free agency.  Roos is in the last year of his contract and would carry no dead weight for the Titans moving forward.  There is a solid chance they keep him since they have plenty of cap space but $6,625,000 is a nice chunk of change if you're trying to make a profit.  Essentially he's a luxury if Lewan arrives as advertised, and insurance in case he doesn't.  If he gets cut I'd expect it to happen during or at the end of camp.  

Who else IS out there?  

What do you guys think? I know Winston has been hanging around waiting for a late signing but I haven't looked very many other places for possible camp casualties.

Edited by RavensDE, 29 May 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#2 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'm not not sure why you think Ozzie hasn't loaded the line up. The Ravens have frequently had very talented lines until last year. 2012 was alright, but usually the Ravens have great lines.

I'm not sure why the Titans would cut Roos, unless they wanted to make a big play for someone like Andre Johnson, which will not happen since the Titans are in the AFC South. What's the harm of keeping him? I think it could be possible to see Oher slide into guard or have Lewan play there.

Winston has been bad for the past two years years and is about to be on his fourth team in as many years. Over the past three seasons, he's had more penalties than Oher

I think the Ravens role with what they have now and Wagner opens up a lot of eyes.

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

So I'm a bit confused.  I've seen a ton of talk on the cut Michael Roos front, but why would the Titans do that?  Sure, they have Lewan and Oher.  That's why they should keep Roos.  We all know what Oher is.  He's a guy that's going to play very well at times, and then others he'll look completely lost.  Lewan?  The guy is a rookie that is going to need some work.  He showed sloppy footwork and technique in his senior year.  I doubt they're just going to hand the starting spot over to him.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I didn't get very far into my research

Obviously.

#5 RavensDE

RavensDE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

@MVP

I never thought about Oher moving to guard but that's a pretty expensive guard who came up weak in the run game last year.  That said I always thought Oher would play well at guard until last year.  

I don't think we load up on line at all.  I can't ever remember us having a dominant line.  Ogden was great but his Superbowl year it was him and solid Mulitalo (sp?) on the left and we couldn't get squat the other way.  Everyone knew it so we weren't extremely productive, which was just enough with the D.  The last Superbowl we kinda got lucky in the playoffs when McKinney stepped up and it made our whole line pretty darn good for the playoffs.  It was short lived, but I'll take it based on timing.

@rmw10

Yeah I'm kind of there with you in that from a "use your cap" perspective it would be a no-brainer to keep Roos, but not every team works that way.  If they run it like a business you'd be less likely to spend 6.6mil on a short term luxury / insurance policy.  I have no idea how they roll in Tennessee, although they have 19mil in cap space this year and had 9mil last year.  Lord knows we'd have spent nearly all of that money (probably on good cheap deals).

@Bloodraven

HA! I had papers to grade...

#6 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

So I'm a bit confused.  I've seen a ton of talk on the cut Michael Roos front, but why would the Titans do that?  Sure, they have Lewan and Oher.  That's why they should keep Roos.  We all know what Oher is.  He's a guy that's going to play very well at times, and then others he'll look completely lost.  Lewan?  The guy is a rookie that is going to need some work.  He showed sloppy footwork and technique in his senior year.  I doubt they're just going to hand the starting spot over to him.

They payed Oher a ton and Lewan was a top 15 pick, he's gotta start somewhere. Roos is old.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#7 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

They payed Oher a ton and Lewan was a top 15 pick, he's gotta start somewhere. Roos is old.

No harm in letting Lewan sit and learn for a year. He's not ready to step in at LT in my opinion. Way too many issues to be worked on.

#8 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

No harm in letting Lewan sit and learn for a year. He's not ready to step in at LT in my opinion. Way too many issues to be worked on.

He'll probably play guard or something similar, but you can't let a top 15 player who ain't a qb just sit on the bench.

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

He'll probably play guard or something similar, but you can't let a top 15 player who ain't a qb just sit on the bench.

Yes you can, if he's not ready to play.

#10 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

Yes you can, if he's not ready to play.

He better be ready to play, or you probably wasted your pick.

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Not necessarily.  Sometimes your draft on potential.  I think that's what Lewan is.  He's shown that he can be absolutely dominant if he puts everything together, but that's the issue.  Everything isn't there yet.  He'd be best sitting behind Roos for a year while he works out the kinks.  No harm in sitting a guy for a year.  It's not a wasted pick.

#12 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Not necessarily.  Sometimes your draft on potential.  I think that's what Lewan is.  He's shown that he can be absolutely dominant if he puts everything together, but that's the issue.  Everything isn't there yet.  He'd be best sitting behind Roos for a year while he works out the kinks.  No harm in sitting a guy for a year.  It's not a wasted pick.

For a team like the Titans, they need talent now.

#13 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Which means he still isn't displacing Roos to the point of getting cut.

#14 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Which means he still isn't displacing Roos to the point of getting cut.

true, but roos is 31

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

true, but roos is 31

Again, it's only 1 year for Lewan.  There's absolutely no harm in sitting a guy that has some problems to work out behind a veteran presence that has been incredibly solid for that team for a long time.

#16 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Again, it's only 1 year for Lewan.  There's absolutely no harm in sitting a guy that has some problems to work out behind a veteran presence that has been incredibly solid for that team for a long time.

Exactly. He's not their long-term guy, but that doesn't mean anything to us.

Even then, as I've said elsewhere I'd rather we made a move on a CB with our spare cap space anyway.

#17 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

I disagree, this isn't a 1 year deal

In Ozzie We Trust

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

So I'm a bit confused. I've seen a ton of talk on the cut Michael Roos front, but why would the Titans do that? Sure, they have Lewan and Oher. That's why they should keep Roos. We all know what Oher is. He's a guy that's going to play very well at times, and then others he'll look completely lost. Lewan? The guy is a rookie that is going to need some work. He showed sloppy footwork and technique in his senior year. I doubt they're just going to hand the starting spot over to him.

Well, I'm not sure where Lewan will play but he can only learn from a great technician and that's what Roos is. He's truly a phenomenal technician at LT. That's how he got by with has technique. He doesn't have the best physical measurements, mainly his arms, but he's got such good technique.

The problem is, I question whether Tennessee cuts him, whether we sign him, and most importantly, whether he wants to play here when he will not play LT. I mean, if I'm Roos I stay at what I do well and that's LT. 31 isn't old for a LT. I don't see why he would want to come here to play RT when he could go to Carolina and play LT. Lol.

#19 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Well, I'm not sure where Lewan will play but he can only learn from a great technician and that's what Roos is. He's truly a phenomenal technician at LT. That's how he got by with has technique. He doesn't have the best physical measurements, mainly his arms, but he's got such good technique.

The problem is, I question whether Tennessee cuts him, whether we sign him, and most importantly, whether he wants to play here when he will not play LT. I mean, if I'm Roos I stay at what I do well and that's LT. 31 isn't old for a LT. I don't see why he would want to come here to play RT when he could go to Carolina and play LT. Lol.

Exactly.  Roos is one of the best for Lewan to learn under considering what issues he has to correct before he makes a big impact at the NFL level.  Just seems like a no brainer to keep him around to teach what could be a franchise LT in Lewan.  I get that he has a big salary, but what good does cutting salary do at this point?  I know it can be carried over but give me the guy that's proven that he can do it for a long time over the extra money.

#20 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Exactly. Roos is one of the best for Lewan to learn under considering what issues he has to correct before he makes a big impact at the NFL level. Just seems like a no brainer to keep him around to teach what could be a franchise LT in Lewan. I get that he has a big salary, but what good does cutting salary do at this point? I know it can be carried over but give me the guy that's proven that he can do it for a long time over the extra money.

Yeah but even if they cut him, I just don't see him coming here. Why would he want to play RT for the Ravens when he could get paid to play LT for the Panthers. It makes no sense to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users