93 replies to this topic

#21 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

I wasn't suggesting the Ravens won't run the ball, unlike last year, but I doubt they're a power run team that runs nearly as much as many are expecting

yep, I think Flacco will be throwing about 35 times a game, versus about 25 rush attempts. Maybe not those exact numbers of course, but that ratio looks about right to me
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#22 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

I honestly thought we would keep Leach atleast to provide some solid competition for Juice but it's understandable if they feel like he needs to start now( He was drafted in the fourth round).The type of fullback Juice is isn't really different from James Casey whom played fullback and tight end for Gary Kubiak.

I don't know if Gary Kubiak going to use Juice creatively like he did with James Casey but we shall see.

Draft status doesn't guarantee he'll start at all, and I'd imagine Juice will do more receiving than blocking

Edited by BmoreBird22, 29 May 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#23 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

yep, I think Flacco will be throwing about 35 times a game, versus about 25 rush attempts. Maybe not those exact numbers of course, but that ratio looks about right to me

That's very similar to New England and it's worked for them

#24 AP562

AP562

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

i know as ravens fans we show favoritism to flacco but he has to step it up this year. he is the face of the team and with gary k, he should have a breakout year or we are doom

#25 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

Everyone is talking like Gary K. just brought the Houston playbook to Baltimore. I do not believe it. We will see a dynamic and different offense under this new regime. It will be a totally new day in Baltimore when the guys hit the field for the first preseason game. Can't wait to watch it.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#26 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

As long as we find some better ways to move the pocket and rollout Flacco more often, I think we'll have the recipe for success. Flacco's best assets are his physical talents, and we need to utilize them ALL more, not just his arm strength.

#27 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

The thing that stands out to me about the Flacco and Kubes relationship is when Flacco talks about having a OC who he can trust. He spoke about how Kubes is a former QB and " understand" what the QBs are seeing back there. He also talked about having a OC that knows what he wants to do in tight spots of a game. This stands out to me because I've felt like since 2010 there's always been a disconnect between Flacco and his OCs.

Flacco is a self admitted hard headed person and although there has never any public riffs i feel like Flacco and Cam/Caldwell have butted heads over what direction the offense should go in. I get the feeling that Joe finds it hard toreally connect with a guy who has never played the position or maybe i should say he feels more comfortable with guys who can relate to what he goes though as a QB. I don't think it's just happen stance that Joe's best years have come when he's at least had QB coach that played the position. Hue Jackson and Jim Zorn did wonders for Flacco and i think Kubes will do the same and even more.

I've always did the biggest difference between Flacco and other top QBs is that those others guys have playcallers they can trust to put them in favorable positions, even when things start to go awry. Those other guys start getting a bit inaccurate or WRs struggle to get good separation and their playcallers pull out the screens and high percentage passes. I think Joe now has that with Kubes.

I don't want to get into the what Joe will do or the type of season he'll have but i will say this QB/OC match is perfect for Flacco. I just hope it's last for at least 3 years and allows Flacco to really master the system, even if/when Kubes leaves.

mj5v69.jpg

#28 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

From watching the OTA highlight video I'm really liking our new WR coach so far. I really like how the WRs are breaking out of their routes. Particularly Marlon's highlight on jimmy.

#29 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

From watching the OTA highlight video I'm really liking our new WR coach so far. I really like how the WRs are breaking out of their routes. Particularly Marlon's highlight on jimmy.

Never been so excited about one play on a practice clip. That play made me really excited for training camp. I hope i get another chance to take my son to the Castle agian for practice this year. You get Marlon and Torrey running better routes, the underneath possession presence of Pitta, OD, Smith and add the homerun ability of Coby this offense can be really good. That didn't even count the production of the backs in the pass game and rushing game.

I initially worried about our first 3 games of the season because it's only fair to expect the offense to struggle a bit early. However I'm starting to feel that it won't take this offense long to get things moving in the right direction. From what i see the offense isn't nowhere near as complex as the old offense in terms of terminology and what the offense wants to accomplish. I think what really takes this offense to the next level is that you can run the same play from 5 or 6 different alignments. This offense should be excitingto watch early and only continue to get better throughout the season.

mj5v69.jpg

#30 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

That's very similar to New England and it's worked for them

yep, and it works well for them in large part because they use the dink and dunk as an extension of the running game. what concerns me is that if we were to emulate that formula, we need guys with reliable hands and can play in traffic. Smitty, Pitta and Daniels should have us covered there, but we will need Rice to bounce back in a big way as well...and it wouldn't hurt if he stops the annoying habit of bouncing a very catchable pass off his hands every single week
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#31 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

yep, and it works well for them in large part because they use the dink and dunk as an extension of the running game. what concerns me is that if we were to emulate that formula, we need guys with reliable hands and can play in traffic. Smitty, Pitta and Daniels should have us covered there, but we will need Rice to bounce back in a big way as well...and it wouldn't hurt if he stops the annoying habit of bouncing a very catchable pass off his hands every single week

... enter Forsett. I really think he is going to be given more of a chance to make the team than many think, and for this exact reason. He also gives us some return depth if Campanaro doesn't work out there.

#32 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

Never been so excited about one play on a practice clip. That play made me really excited for training camp. I hope i get another chance to take my son to the Castle agian for practice this year. You get Marlon and Torrey running better routes, the underneath possession presence of Pitta, OD, Smith and add the homerun ability of Coby this offense can be really good. That didn't even count the production of the backs in the pass game and rushing game.

I initially worried about our first 3 games of the season because it's only fair to expect the offense to struggle a bit early. However I'm starting to feel that it won't take this offense long to get things moving in the right direction. From what i see the offense isn't nowhere near as complex as the old offense in terms of terminology and what the offense wants to accomplish. I think what really takes this offense to the next level is that you can run the same play from 5 or 6 different alignments. This offense should be excitingto watch early and only continue to get better throughout the season.

Coby? Who dat is?

#33 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

Coby? Who dat is?

jacobytd.gif

#34 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

^^^^^^^
ha, that's muh boy!

#35 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

ha, that's muh boy!

I actually spent so much time staring at that gif I lost track of the time.

#36 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

I think that's the magic number right there for the modern offense. If you get 60 plays, that's perfect. As mentioned above, the Patriots have a similar ratio and they've obviously done well for themselves on offense. 

#37 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

I'm not sure where the comparisons to the patriots offense is coming from. Their offense is probably one of the most complex in the nfl. Tons of option routes etc. requires smart receivers ( why chad Johnson was a failure). I don't think we want that type of offense. We want to play to flaccos strengths. He still has the best most accurate deep balls except maybe Rodgers.

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#38 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm not sure where the comparisons to the patriots offense is coming from. Their offense is probably one of the most complex in the nfl. Tons of option routes etc. requires smart receivers ( why chad Johnson was a failure). I don't think we want that type of offense. We want to play to flaccos strengths. He still has the best most accurate deep balls except maybe Rodgers.

Maybe, just maybe, the Patriots are being brought up to compare their ratio of runs to passes to ours... I think that's even what we wrote (or at least implied) in our posts. The Patriots are routinely the most balanced offense in the NFL. 

Also, they have a lot of west coast passing, play action, and zone running which is going to be a part of our offense this year, so that comparison is there too.

Edited by The Raven, 01 June 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#39 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

jacobytd.gif

That's not Coby,  that's Dragonfly!

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#40 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

The bottom line is Kubiak made ordinary QBs look great! Schaub was an average QB who put up better numbers than Flacco and went to the pro bowl. Now, Flacco is no Manning, Brady, Brees or Rodgers in the performance department, but he is definitely more talented than Schaub physically. I feel Flacco will flourish well under Kubiak as long as he works hard and learns his system fully and is able to run it efficiently! Go Ravens and I feel good about our offense too!
Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users