Hardbaugh

Feeling good about the Flacco/Kubiak relationship

94 posts in this topic

I can't let this go unchallenged. Have you any statistical evidence to back up your claims because everything that I've read tells me despite Flacco's strong arm he's one of the worst deep ball throwers in the game.

Now, I'll give Flacco some leeway because of the predictable an unimaginative playcalling/playbook but IMO Flacco is always late with the deep ball instead of laying it out there and let his speed guys run under it.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/pff-2013-qb-accuracy-pct-breakdown-pretty-interesting.23174/

I wouldn't rest my head on completion percentage as the measuring stick of a QBs ability to throw the deep ball.

We mentioned this in a previous discussion....Flacco's deep attempts are typically much further than the usual 20-25 yards; or perhaps a better way of phrasing it is to say Flacco attempts more passes that travel 30+ yards in the air than your average QB.

Flacco's style of play is a factor as well. He will often chuck the ball downfield rather than throw the ball away quite a bit...that backfired last year given the conditions, but we won't go there.

Finally, common sense, or lack thereof, of our OC comes into play. How many teams use the deep passing game regularly, without ensuring that the OL will hold up long enough for the play to develop and for the QB to not have to attempt a 30-40 yard pass on the run? Or just as importantly, how many OC rely a good bit on guys like Mason and Boldin, and occasionally Dickson and Pitta, as 'deep threats'? Heck, Torrey doesn't do much to help Flacco either.

I wouldn't rest my head on completion percentage as the measuring stick of a QBs ability to throw the deep ball.

We mentioned this in a previous discussion....Flacco's deep attempts are typically much further than the usual 20-25 yards; or perhaps a better way of phrasing it is to say Flacco attempts more passes that travel 30+ yards in the air than your average QB.

Flacco's style of play is a factor as well. He will often chuck the ball downfield rather than throw the ball away quite a bit...that backfired last year given the conditions, but we won't go there.

Finally, common sense, or lack thereof, of our OC comes into play. How many teams use the deep passing game regularly, without ensuring that the OL will hold up long enough for the play to develop and for the QB to not have to attempt a 30-40 yard pass on the run? Or just as importantly, how many OC rely a good bit on guys like Mason and Boldin, and occasionally Dickson and Pitta, as 'deep threats'? Heck, Torrey doesn't do much to help Flacco either.

That's a fair rebuttle. I wouldn't bet that the Ravens don't throw deeper more than any team in the game which would lead to lower percentages.

The previous poster stated other than Rodgers. I strongly disagree with that.

Edited by Hardbaugh

That's a fair rebuttle. I wouldn't bet that the Ravens don't throw deeper more than any team in the game which would lead to lower percentages.

The previous poster stated other than Rodgers. I strongly disagree with that.

Well, I think it's like any other list....just an opinion. he's not right, you are not right, I'm not right; we see the same things but weigh factors differently, so we walk away with different opinions.

Now, in a perfect fairy tale world where we always pancake every pass rusher and our WR run routes like Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison, I have to agree with the previous poster. Rodgers is the only guy in the same universe as Flacco when it comes to the deep ball.

In the real world where we all reside however, it's very hard to say where he ranks. I can look at certain plays from last year and completely see your side of the argument. But to be fair to the guy, he was put in an impossible position. Hard for me to smack Flacco silly, then be mad at him for hurting my hand, if you know what I mean

PFF deep ball stat is 20 yards or more. I almost view that as mid range.  I'd like to see the accuracy numbers for 30 or 40 yards of more. Flacco would more than likely move up the list I believe. I still say he needs to get rid of the ball faster.

I hope and believe the Ravens put the right people in place in Denison and Kubiak to get the best out of Flacco. That bodes well for the Ravens and us fans of course. 

I'd argue that the Ravens have a top ten defense although they need to find a way to generate more turnovers as they finished in the 20's last season and a -5 turnover differential.   If the offense can step it up to a modest 14-16 in total offense and clean up some turnovers the Ravens will be poised to go deep in the playoffs again.

I do agree as posted earlier in this thread an important offensive stat is efficiency in how the offense operates.

Edited by Hardbaugh

Lots of 'ifs' coming but IF Kubes/Joe can cut Joe's INTs in half, IF Smith Sr. can exceed Jacoby's 37 catches, 455 yds and 2 TDs, IF Daniels can exceed Clark's 31/343/3, & IF the offense can turn half of Tucker's FGs into TDs the Ravens would have a top 10 offense in 2014. The requirements for Steve Smith and Owen Daniels are very much within their age capabilities. The question is can the O-line & Marlon & Pitta & RR step-up and produce winning numbers. If they can....the division is ours.

Go Ravens

PFF deep ball stat is 20 yards or more. I almost view that as mid range. I'd like to see the accuracy numbers for 30 or 40 yards of more. Flacco would more than likely move up the list I believe. I still say he needs to get rid of the ball faster.

I hope and believe the Ravens put the right people in place in Denison and Kubiak to get the best out of Flacco. That bodes well for the Ravens and us fans of course.

I'd argue that the Ravens have a top ten defense although they need to find a way to generate more turnovers as they finished in the 20's last season and a -5 turnover differential. If the offense can step it up to a modest 14-16 in total offense and clean up some turnovers the Ravens will be poised to go deep in the playoffs again.

I do agree as posted earlier in this thread an important offensive stat is efficiency in how the offense operates.

See, I view 20 yards as intermediate as well. There is nothing difficult about a 20 yard pass....any high school QB can make those type of throws with great accuracy, if he has a pocket to throw from. To me, distance should not start affecting accuracy until the receiver is at least 40 yards out (again, that is assuming a clean pocket), and should not greatly affect accuracy until the reciever is near the limit of the QBs arm strength.

Another factor is arm strength. Even a well placed pass can get picked if it does not have enough velocity...it's a huge reason why those deep outs to Mason were so successful, for example. Mason rightfully gets credit for being a great route runner, but a lot of those completions are very literally impossible for most other QBs, because the heat Flacco put on those passes into such a tight window made the defender defenseless against swatting the pass.

The point behind this mini-rant is that Flacco is not limited to any sort of scheme...he can make any throw imaginable, if you put him in a position to do so. All we need to do to put him in that position is to give him a pocket to throw from....so I don't think the new scheme changes much as far as Flacco is concerned, unless the new scheme can cover up the deficiencies in the OL that we saw last year. I just wish our FO would learn from those past mistakes...adding 'value' players at the skill positions will never impact the offense as greatly (at least in a positive way) as building up a strong OL will.

See, I view 20 yards as intermediate as well. There is nothing difficult about a 20 yard pass....any high school QB can make those type of throws with great accuracy, if he has a pocket to throw from. To me, distance should not start affecting accuracy until the receiver is at least 40 yards out (again, that is assuming a clean pocket), and should not greatly affect accuracy until the reciever is near the limit of the QBs arm strength.

Another factor is arm strength. Even a well placed pass can get picked if it does not have enough velocity...it's a huge reason why those deep outs to Mason were so successful, for example. Mason rightfully gets credit for being a great route runner, but a lot of those completions are very literally impossible for most other QBs, because the heat Flacco put on those passes into such a tight window made the defender defenseless against swatting the pass.

The point behind this mini-rant is that Flacco is not limited to any sort of scheme...he can make any throw imaginable, if you put him in a position to do so. All we need to do to put him in that position is to give him a pocket to throw from....so I don't think the new scheme changes much as far as Flacco is concerned, unless the new scheme can cover up the deficiencies in the OL that we saw last year. I just wish our FO would learn from those past mistakes...adding 'value' players at the skill positions will never impact the offense as greatly (at least in a positive way) as building up a strong OL will.

I think you get to my point I was making here with the mason examples. I'm not so much talking about the numbers. Just the ability. His strengths. I think Steve smith is going to be a much bigger assert than people realize. He will be the best route runner flacco has had since mason. I expect bigger things from this duo than most seem too. Experience and football intelligence is being underrated. To your point of solidifying the Oline. I agree. That is the most important key to this teams success.

Excited about the Kubiak/Flacco relationship, but I think more important is the Kubiak/Castillo relationship and that Castillo can teach the principles of Kubiaks offense. We've seen proof that when implemented properly it can turn otherwise average lineman into Pro-bowlers, offer a clean pocket to throw from, and make a run game unstoppable regardless of who the back is so long as they have good vision, balance and can make a simple read.

I have no doubt that Flacco will thrive in this offense. I think Joe's biggest problem is that when he gets pressured or his 1st couple reads aren't there he relies too much on his physical ability. Having an OC with a very direct and clear vision for what he wants of his QB should help mask that a bit. Outside of Joe the talent is there to make this offense our best ever.

Castillo is known for being a great teacher... for whatever reason we didn't see that last year but there were clearly things going on behind the scenes that we didn't know about. Castillo putting his ego aside and truly dedicating himself to becoming an expert on Kubiaks blocking scheme and teaching it well will be the biggest factor in improving our team. If he can do that, I think Zuttah will become the most important offseason acquisition, and our offense will truly be talked about among the most efficient and effective in the league. We'll be able to wear teams down with the run and short passing games, and then stick the dagger in with the deep ball. It will be a thing of beauty.

If he cant, the upgraded talent will show improvement on last year, but only marginal improvement and we'll struggle to 8-8 or 9-7 at best.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

That is an interesting question, I would say the 4 6 yard plays are better because it shows consistency. If you can wear a defense down like that consistently those 6 yarders turn into 24 yarders later in the game as the defense gets tired. It also keeps your own defense fresh, I guess it comes down to ideals.

Well, since one is usually used to set up the other, I'd prefer knowing we can have a big play and then having the defense allow short, consecutive gains to having those small gains and hoping you're good enough to make the big play when the opportunity is presented. 

I think a defense would prefer allowing those casual gains to allowing the big play. It's more demoralizing.

Well, since one is usually used to set up the other, I'd prefer knowing we can have a big play and then having the defense allow short, consecutive gains to having those small gains and hoping you're good enough to make the big play when the opportunity is presented. 

I think a defense would prefer allowing those casual gains to allowing the big play. It's more demoralizing.

I guess we just have a difference in opinion. I view a big play as demoralizing but I view being able to get consistent gains even more so, especially in the running game because the defense knows it is coming and can still do nothing as the offense slowly goes down the field.

I guess we just have a difference in opinion. I view a big play as demoralizing but I view being able to get consistent gains even more so, especially in the running game because the defense knows it is coming and can still do nothing as the offense slowly goes down the field.

I think I can draw out my argument like this:

Say the big play offense is the all-or-nothing risk, and say it's equivalent to the standard "consistent play", meaning in either case you'll win the same amount of games. You're just as good a team, it's just your choice of play.

If your team isn't stacked with talent, the difficult games (and this applies directly to our 2012 run) will require more than just your average output to win. That means the only way you could win is by being a risky offense and succeeding. The Patriots are the classic "methodical drive" team, and they've consistently beat weaker teams but haven't won the Super Bowl in a decade. That might be why.

I think I can draw out my argument like this:

Say the big play offense is the all-or-nothing risk, and say it's equivalent to the standard "consistent play", meaning in either case you'll win the same amount of games. You're just as good a team, it's just your choice of play.

If your team isn't stacked with talent, the difficult games (and this applies directly to our 2012 run) will require more than just your average output to win. That means the only way you could win is by being a risky offense and succeeding. The Patriots are the classic "methodical drive" team, and they've consistently beat weaker teams but haven't won the Super Bowl in a decade. That might be why.

It really depends on the situation but I think that if you get consistent gains, then you keep doing that and maybe go for a big play counter to it once the defense adjusts to stop it. If you can't get consistent gains, then big plays are all you really have. 

I guess it all really depends on the game situation as well. I just know that in a vaccum, I would take the consistent gains because it allows you to build off of it.

One of my favorite Ravens drives of all time was in 2008 against the Redskins when we had McClain and Neal run the ball every play on the drive and got consistent 4-5 yard gains each play. The more plays we ran, the more frustrated the defense became and they eventually tried to load up the box to try to stop it. Once they loaded the box, we called a pass over their heads that went for 6. You can build off of consistent gains, big plays can get a bit fluky. 

As far as Kubiak and the "relationship", I'm feeling really positive also.  First of all, I think he's the most accomplished OC we've ever had.  Secondly, its his offense and he is the unquestioned final word.  And that seems to be sitting well with Joe.  Joe seems quick (in interviews) to defer to Kubiak's expertise.  There's a clearly implied respect and authority given to the coach.  The way it sounds there is also a clear right and wrong decision to be made when executing this offense.  I think Joe referred to it as pretty black and white, which minimizes indecision and facilitates quicker decisions.  Hoping it pans out that way anyway.

I will wait for on the field results and do hope it works out but it still have to be proven. Confidence is good but results are better and results are what we don't yet have.

So I read this on the BaltimoreSun website:

"Just a hunch here, but it seems as though quarterback Joe Flacco is not having fun, not like a year ago. Maybe it's because he has to learn a new offense and has new assistant coaches around him again.

I also think Jersey Joe is struggling a little bit with the foot work in dropping back because his passes have been off. In these OTAs, the foot work is stressed more than just about anything else."

I know, it's Mike Preston, but Joe has been picked off a couple of times and some have pointed out, that he looked "off" in recent practices. So maybe, that's something to worry about? I dunno, I really want Joe to improve from last season and pre-season is still so far away. -_- 

Edited by PolishRifle

"Just a hunch here, but it seems as though quarterback Joe Flacco is not having fun, not like a year ago. Maybe it's because he has to learn a new offense and has new assistant coaches around him again.

I also think Jersey Joe is struggling a little bit with the foot work in dropping back because his passes have been off. In these OTAs, the foot work is stressed more than just about anything else."

I know, it's Mike Preston, but Joe has been picked off a couple of times and some have pointed out, that he looked "off" in recent practices. So maybe, that's something to worry about? I dunno, I really want Joe to improve from last season and pre-season is still so far away. -_- 

that was my concern with the kubiak offense, was the footwork.  joe is sort of heavy footed, and planted downfield.  The bootleg is fine, but that quick pocket work worries me.

that was my concern with the kubiak offense, was the footwork.  joe is sort of heavy footed, and planted downfield.  The bootleg is fine, but that quick pocket work worries me.

It's not like he's built like Russel Wilson. Joe's 6foot6, so it's no surprise he isn't exactly nimble in the pocket. I agree, that Joe won't have a problem with rolling out of the pocket, but I bet it will take Joe some time to get used the footwork neccasry to pull of the WO (I still take the durablity, that Joe's big body brings over in-pocket-mobility, though).

I've got faith in Joe, but that is bothering me a little. I hope he gets over that, because I don't want to see any INTs or passes, that are a little short (according to russelstreet, anyway) in real games.

Wait and see, I guess. Pre-season starts in 2 months. Hopefully that's enough time for Joe to adjust.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more pistol this year. The pistol is great for us because it allows long and tall QBs like Joe to get set quick while still preserving the threat of the run, unlike the shotgun. This is the situation the pistol was meant for. Joe gets a quick easy drop, and the run game isn't compromised. 

At the risk of sounding like I'm making excuses, the guy is about 2 weeks into a new offense after spending the last 6 in a completely different offense. Right now the offense is probably doing more thinking then reacting. Also the entire unit is learning the offense so the trust between QB and WR, oline etc.. I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't expect growing pains. It's not even training camp yet, let alone time to play a game. Coughlin just said his newoffense looks like his sons little league soccer team because guys are struggling to line up right and don't really know what to do.

Also the he's not having fun comment is unnecessary imo. It seems to imply that Flacco isn't happy with the offense and/or coaching and i don't think that's the case. Anytime you learn something new you go through an adjustment phase that's uncomfortable. The offense is learning on the fly while the defense knows exactly what it wants to do.

Now if there was a report that said Flacco looks like the worse QB on the field, I'd be worried

At the risk of sounding like I'm making excuses, the guy is about 2 weeks into a new offense after spending the last 6 in a completely different offense. Right now the offense is probably doing more thinking then reacting. Also the entire unit is learning the offense so the trust between QB and WR, oline etc.. I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't expect growing pains. It's not even training camp yet, let alone time to play a game. Coughlin just said his newoffense looks like his sons little league soccer team because guys are struggling to line up right and don't really know what to do.

Also the he's not having fun comment is unnecessary imo. It seems to imply that Flacco isn't happy with the offense and/or coaching and i don't think that's the case. Anytime you learn something new you go through an adjustment phase that's uncomfortable. The offense is learning on the fly while the defense knows exactly what it wants to do.

Now if there was a report that said Flacco looks like the worse QB on the field, I'd be worried

Give everyone some slack. It's the offseason, we have to talk about SOMETHING. :P

Personally I'm excited about the new offence, but I'm reserving judgement until at least the preseason.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more pistol this year. The pistol is great for us because it allows long and tall QBs like Joe to get set quick while still preserving the threat of the run, unlike the shotgun. This is the situation the pistol was meant for. Joe gets a quick easy drop, and the run game isn't compromised. 

no man, the pistol was made for rg3 and kaepernickle to run wild, duh.

no man, the pistol was made for rg3 and kaepernickle to run wild, duh.

The option is just one of the wonderful things made easier by the pistol, but I'm almost certain that it wasn't invented with that sole purpose in mind. Historically, the pistol was also been used by QBs struggling with mobility. For example, the Steelers used it while Ben was battling an ankle injury.

And regardless of what you think it was invented for, it would still help us out in this situation.

EDIT: Actually, I'm right. According to this and this, it was invented for an immobile QB, as well as to preserve a good running game while giving the QB an easy drop back.

Edited by The Raven

The option is just one of the wonderful things made easier by the pistol, but I'm almost certain that it wasn't invented with that sole purpose in mind. Historically, the pistol was also been used by QBs struggling with mobility. For example, the Steelers used it while Ben was battling an ankle injury.

And regardless of what you think it was invented for, it would still help us out in this situation.

EDIT: Actually, I'm right. According to this and this, it was invented for an immobile QB, as well as to preserve a good running game while giving the QB an easy drop back.

dude I was being 100% sarcastic and I thought it was blatantly obvious lol

please note: "kaepernickle" lol

Edited by JoeyFlex5

Flacco topics are serious business.

Give everyone some slack. It's the offseason, we have to talk about SOMETHING. :P

Personally I'm excited about the new offence, but I'm reserving judgement until at least the preseason.

Oh no doubt, I'm excited as well. I think i wanted those practice highlights like 10 times each. I can't wait to see this offense with my own eyes because i don't like taking someone else's opinion without seeing it.

My bad brotha. Was tired as all hell and somehow didn't notice that

I think it should be expected for Flacco to in counter some  problems  because this  is a totally new offensive system .He's being asked to do new things and  there are going to be some grow pains. I'm pretty sure we are going to notice some mess ups here and there during the early part of the regular season.

As for Kubiak... I wasn't too impressed with their passing game in Houston.  Definitely wasn't impressed by Schaub.  And he had Andre Johnson.

I admit the running games typically looked good in Houston.  But are the Ravens really built for that?  They've been spending the last few years trying so hard to build a passing offense because that's typically how you win games in the NFL's new rules.  At least until late playoffs and Super Bowl time.

So I can see the Ravens running more.  And playing more ball-control.  I'm not sure I understand how throwing less will help Flacco "improve" as far as stats go.  It might help cut down on chances for mistakes.  But it also leaves less opportunity to make plays.

And also, this will be Flacco's first time learning a completely new playbook with terminology and all... since his rookie season.

As for Kubiak... I wasn't too impressed with their passing game in Houston.  Definitely wasn't impressed by Schaub.  And he had Andre Johnson.

I admit the running games typically looked good in Houston.  But are the Ravens really built for that?  They've been spending the last few years trying so hard to build a passing offense because that's typically how you win games in the NFL's new rules.  At least until late playoffs and Super Bowl time.

So I can see the Ravens running more.  And playing more ball-control.  I'm not sure I understand how throwing less will help Flacco "improve" as far as stats go.  It might help cut down on chances for mistakes.  But it also leaves less opportunity to make plays.

And also, this will be Flacco's first time learning a completely new playbook with terminology and all... since his rookie season.

Joe Flacco passed  the ball 614 times last year which is a career high for him but I don't think The Ravens want to have him pass the ball that much and the only reason why he passed the ball so often last year was because our running game was terrible. A good running game is a  quarterback friend and I see nothing wrong with Flacco passing the ball  544 times like Matt Shaub did in 2012 in which his former team were ranked 11th in passing that year . I can only imagine what he can do with  better a quarterback in Joe Flacco with loads of  solid  receivers such as Owen Daniels, Torrey Smith, Steve Smith, Jacoby Jones, Marlon Brown, Dennis Pitta, and etc. I do expect growing pains but hey maybe Gary Kubiak will have  Flacco  pass the ball more than we think.

It's not like he's built like Russel Wilson. Joe's 6foot6, so it's no surprise he isn't exactly nimble in the pocket. I agree, that Joe won't have a problem with rolling out of the pocket, but I bet it will take Joe some time to get used the footwork neccasry to pull of the WO (I still take the durablity, that Joe's big body brings over in-pocket-mobility, though).

I've got faith in Joe, but that is bothering me a little. I hope he gets over that, because I don't want to see any INTs or passes, that are a little short (according to russelstreet, anyway) in real games.

Wait and see, I guess. Pre-season starts in 2 months. Hopefully that's enough time for Joe to adjust.

Joe ain't nimble at all, but he does share something with fellow giant Big Ben. He has great pocket awareness. Joe feels the biltz well most the time and can escape pretty well.

You do know that he coached a number one passing game with SCHAUB as his QB, right?

I don't know of many other offenses that are more explosively balanced then Kubiak's. I'm definitely interested in hearing why you have been so unimpressed with his passing offense.

The biggest misconception about Kubiak's offense is that he runs more than pass imo. Just not true. As i mentioned before, this offense is explosively balanced. The numbers show that Kubes runs the ball about 30 times while passing about 35. 35 attempts is more then enough for Flacco go put up great numbers. 2010 was probably the best indicator of what Kubes wants from this offense production wise and that year was 35:26 pass to run pre game.

Over the last 3 seasons Flacco has averaged exactly 35 attempts pre game and those numbers were inflated by his 600+ attempts last season. So Flacco will actually be asked to pass more, not less. Also numbers wise Schaub has out performed Flacco, so there shouldn't be an issue with Flacco improving his numbers.

Joe Flacco passed  the ball 614 times last year which is a career high for him but I don't think The Ravens want to have him pass the ball that much and the only reason why he passed the ball so often last year was because our running game was terrible. A good running game is a  quarterback friend and I see nothing wrong with Flacco passing the ball  544 times like Matt Shaub did in 2012 in which his former team were ranked 11th in passing that year . I can only imagine what he can do with  better a quarterback in Joe Flacco with loads of  solid  receivers such as Owen Daniels, Torrey Smith, Steve Smith, Jacoby Jones, Marlon Brown, Dennis Pitta, and etc. I do expect growing pains but hey maybe Gary Kubiak will have  Flacco  pass the ball more than we think.

So many people have complained about Ozzie not adding to the offense, but i really think this offense is really stacked, especially for the system we are running. Kubes has so many options and for a creative guy like him, that's deadly. I think this is the perfect marriage between Kubes and the Ravens. I just hope it comes together quickly avg and builds that trust early. I think the oline is a strength this year. Imo we are upgraded at every position because of addition or health except LT and Monroe will be even better in year two. This will lead to the running game being much stronger andthat will lead to the play action moving the LBs and Safeties creating a lot of space for the pass game.

You do know that he coached a number one passing game with SCHAUB as his QB, right?

Guys like Schaub and Vick are the reason stats are so stupid for evaluating a player. Half the board thought Schaub was as good or better than Flacco a couple years ago; and thought Vick was 2x the player Flacco was. Funny how that has worked out...

Guys like Schaub and Vick are the reason stats are so stupid for evaluating a player. Half the board thought Schaub was as good or better than Flacco a couple years ago; and thought Vick was 2x the player Flacco was. Funny how that has worked out...

Yea what ever happened to those thoughts?

I guess now we can prepare to hear how just like the RB position, Kubiak can make any QB look like a pro bowler just look at what he's done with guys like Schuab and Flacco.

I remember Sapp saying Freeman was head and shoulders better then Flacco and would actually win MVP. I remember Casserly saying Blaine Gabbert was much better then Flacco as a rookie. I remember Dukes saying Flacco and Sanchez were the same exact player. Thinking back to all the foolish things said about Flacco is actually fun.

i'm looking forward to see how good Gary Kubiak and Flacco can work together but like I was  saying on another Ravens site I am concerned about how well Flacco will be able to work with his new quarterback coach Rick Dennison. I have my concerns  because Dennison doesn't have any previous history of coaching quarterbacks and has mainly been offensive line coach for most of his career.

Edited by jazz1988

Yea what ever happened to those thoughts?

I guess now we can prepare to hear how just like the RB position, Kubiak can make any QB look like a pro bowler just look at what he's done with guys like Schuab and Flacco.

I remember Sapp saying Freeman was head and shoulders better then Flacco and would actually win MVP. I remember Casserly saying Blaine Gabbert was much better then Flacco as a rookie. I remember Dukes saying Flacco and Sanchez were the same exact player. Thinking back to all the foolish things said about Flacco is actually fun.

Critics are like STDs. You have to keep treating them or they'll come back. Even after you teat them, they'll still be a little sore. Last year we gave them time to grow back.

Edited by hawkprey

Critics are like STDs. You have to keep treating them or they'll come back. Even after you teat them, they'll still be a little sore. Last year we gave them time to grow back.

Lol i agree. Last year was so bad but may have been the best thing for us. Without last year we probably don't have Kubes as our coach. Even if Caldwell left we'd probably just promote Hos.

I think the few years will really say a lot about the critics of Flacco. In this offense he'll put up great numbers to go along with his normal success of winning games. Right now critics have a decent reason not to like Joe, although it's often over the top, there is still good reason to have pause towards Joe. He's nowhere as consistent as he could be. I strongly feel it was the system and glad we're moving to a system that allows him to showcase his full potential. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say once Joe starts putting up the numbers as well.

i'm looking forward to see how good Gary Kubiak and Flacco can work together but like I was  saying on another Ravens site I am concerned about how well Flacco will be able to work with his new quarterback coach Rick Dennison. I have my concerns  because Dennison doesn't have any previous history of coaching quarterbacks and has mainly been offensive line coach for most of his career.

I don't think it'll be an issue because Kubes will be in Joe's ear more then anyone. Plus Joe is in learn mode this year so he'll be open to Denison because he knows the system. I really think the purpose of Dennison at QB coach is to really allow him and Flacco to build a relationship so if Kubes does leave next year, Rick is the OC in waiting and will already have that close relationship with Joe.

I don't think it'll be an issue because Kubes will be in Joe's ear more then anyone. Plus Joe is in learn mode this year so he'll be open to Denison because he knows the system. I really think the purpose of Dennison at QB coach is to really allow him and Flacco to build a relationship so if Kubes does leave next year, Rick is the OC in waiting and will already have that close relationship with Joe.

I just hope Dennison doesn't take off with Kubiak. Or if he does, we know what we're doing with these college coaches.

Flacco is not elite, but he can make things happen when he needs to. He doesn't have the football IQ to put up numbers like peyton and arod

I just hope Dennison doesn't take off with Kubiak. Or if he does, we know what we're doing with these college coaches.

I don't think he will. First off i believe he's under contract next year, so the Ravens would first have to grant him permission to even talk to another team. He could demand out of his contract to follow Kubes but why burn a bridge?

Also remember he was up for a couple HC interviews a couple years ago so i don't think he's married to the Kubiak partnership. Honestly how i see this going is Kubes just falling in love with just needing being able to teach and coordinate again. When he spokeabout that after his hire you could see the joy. Perfect world he stays long term, but I'll give him two years before the HC calls get to loud. Then Dennison will take over in year 3 and that'll be the year Joe really starts to master this offense. Flacco will put up huge numbers, the offense will have great success and Dennison will be offered a HC job.

It's at that point that we'll allow one of our in house coaches to take over and basically just help put together a game plan and call plays, but it'll be Flacco's offense and catered mostly to what he wants just like every other top QB.

I don't think he will. First off i believe he's under contract next year, so the Ravens would first have to grant him permission to even talk to another team. He could demand out of his contract to follow Kubes but why burn a bridge?

Also remember he was up for a couple HC interviews a couple years ago so i don't think he's married to the Kubiak partnership. Honestly how i see this going is Kubes just falling in love with just needing being able to teach and coordinate again. When he spokeabout that after his hire you could see the joy. Perfect world he stays long term, but I'll give him two years before the HC calls get to loud. Then Dennison will take over in year 3 and that'll be the year Joe really starts to master this offense. Flacco will put up huge numbers, the offense will have great success and Dennison will be offered a HC job.

It's at that point that we'll allow one of our in house coaches to take over and basically just help put together a game plan and call plays, but it'll be Flacco's offense and catered mostly to what he wants just like every other top QB.

Boy, do I love the way this sounds!

i moved to Colorado in '98 so I watched Kubiak's O for the 2 seasons he got btb superbowls and maybe like 6 more seasons things I can say is any RB can do good in that system but i am looking for a leaner quicker Ray Rice to have a pro bowl type of season. I also think Flacco is a pretty good likeness to Elway in the aspects of arm strength, toughness, and deceptive athleticism, plus they are both cold blooded winners. This is the first time Kubiak has had a guy like that since Elway, so I think the O we are going to run is going to be very similar to that of the 98 and 99 broncos. so I'm watching old highlights and getting stoked

"In his 11 seasons with the team, the Broncos amassed 66,501 total yards and 465 touchdowns, the most in the NFL during that span. He coached 14 different Broncos that made the Pro Bowl, including running back Terrell Davis, who was named the NFL MVP in 1998."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbo_3s7cWfE

Edited by Mahatma_Sloth

Fact is, Flacco has always been a serviceable QB but with a running game, he can be a monster in the passing game. Play actions were something he was able to use to his advantage with his big arm and having a solid line so that he can step into his throws makes him deadly to a DB core. If Kubiak can provide that run/pass balance to 2012 status or better, Ravens are gonna be top 12 offense by mid season, partially due to the defense providing great field position.