93 replies to this topic

#1 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

I watched the interview (I'd recommend it to all)  on the front page and read the story following and came away with the impression that this offense and Flacco has the potential to make big strides this season.  I'd love to see something better than the 2010 season and believe it can be done in Kubiak's system.

Looking forward to exciting things this summer!!

#2 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

I watched the interview (I'd recommend it to all)  on the front page and read the story following and came away with the impression that this offense and Flacco has the potential to make big strides this season.  I'd love to see something better than the 2010 season and believe it can be done in Kubiak's system.

Looking forward to exciting things this summer!!

If you are excited, I think everyone can be, and should be, excited. Kubiak really knows how to get the best out of his quarterbacks.

#3 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

According to a article from NFl.com

One responsibility Schaub didn't have in Gary Kubiak's offense during his seven seasons with the Houston Texans was the ability to make his own checks and calls at the line. The 32-year-old quarterback hints that he might finally have those duties.

I'm excited that we finally have a offensive coordinator that isn't average but I think a free Flacco is a better  Flacco. One of the main problems Flacco had with Cam Cameron was that he wouldn't allow him to make his own calls at the line or his own checks. 

If Gary Kubiak comes with that same philosophy then  it may cause some problems but hopefully Flacco or even Harbaugh will have a talk with him about this .

Edited by jazz1988, 29 May 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#4 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

According to a article from NFl.com

I'm excited that we finally have a offensive coordinator that isn't average but I think a free Flacco is a better  Flacco. One of the main problems Flacco had with Cam Cameron was that he wouldn't allow him to make his own calls at the line or his own checks. 

If Gary Kubiak comes with that same philosophy then  it may cause some problems but hopefully Flacco or even Harbaugh will be able to have a talk with him about this .

Gary has said he will give his quarterback as much as he can handle, so if that means Flacco's mental game is up enough that he can handle checks and audibles, I'm sure that Gary will give him that option.

However, you have to remember that with no audibles or checks, Schaub led the league in passing yards and was a Pro-Bowler, so it's not like this system is bad and needs checks and audibles like Cameron's.

#5 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Sooooooo is Flacco gonna work out with his WRers or not........?

#6 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,460 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Sooooooo is Flacco gonna work out with his WRers or not........?

Sooooo did you know that OTAs are going on now or not?

Also, it sounds like Flacco tried to meet with them, but scheduling conflicts and distance got in the way. Additionally, Joe never got a chance to work on the playbook with Kubiak and the WRs until, well, yesterday. League rules prevented Kubiak from working with the offense, as you may or may not know. 

I'm also wondering why all the blame for this is on Joe and not the WRs. For all we know, Joe tried to organize work outs but the WRs couldn't make it... 

Edited by The Raven, 29 May 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

I like the recent positive posts Hardbaugh... You're no longer a pessimist it seems! :D

I too am excited. A little nervous about how fast all these new pieces click, but mostly excited.

Our offense is dealing with a lot of new changes...
New playbook,system(philosophy,terminology), some personnel changes and a pretty much brand new coaching staff...

I think the chemistry will be the biggest challenge early on. Especially between the offensive lineman. It's pretty much a brand new set of guys besides Yanda and K.O. entering what really should be considered his 2nd season since he was injured early on last year.

I'm also really excited to see how Marlon Brown progresses. I can see him quietly having a very big season for us. I think he'll thrive in this system. I hope Kubiak uses him mostly on comebacks and in the redzone.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm expecting our offense will struggle a little bit in the preseason and first couple games of season, and after that we will excel and dominate. 

But Kubiak's system will help our offense immensely, especially Flacco...

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#9 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Gary has said he will give his quarterback as much as he can handle, so if that means Flacco's mental game is up enough that he can handle checks and audibles, I'm sure that Gary will give him that option.

However, you have to remember that with no audibles or checks, Schaub led the league in passing yards and was a Pro-Bowler, so it's not like this system is bad and needs checks and audibles like Cameron's.i 

You make some good points.I just had my concerns because we all know Flacco likes to make his own calls and he seems to be more comfortable at times when he's able to change a play when he wants. I think every franchise quarterback likes to audible and it can be benefitcal at times because some times the quarterback can see things from the opposing defense that the offensive coordinator can't. 

Edited by jazz1988, 29 May 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'am feeling good about the QB/OC relationship as well. Kubiak is the OC I've been waiting on for years now. IMO, he's the best fit for the Ravens and a QB like Flacco. His scheme is battle tested and his experience with SB winning teams and QB's is proven. 

I think that this scheme will be extremely easy for the offense to grasp. Last year we had zero offensive identity and a muddled Cam Cameron playbook that Caldwell tried to tweak with but not change. Now, we have a concrete playbook with players like Jacoby and Daniels who know what is up. 

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

You make some good points.I just had my concerns because we all know Flacco likes to make his own calls and he seems to be more comfortable at times when he's able to change a play when he wants. I think every franchise quarterback likes to audible and it can be benefitcal at times because some times the quarterback can see things from the opposing defense that the offensive coordinator can't.

I definitely think Joe is at his best when he runs a no huddle shotgun offense. Given that Kubiak "loves" to run the football, isn't it odd that the Ravens cut Leach and didn't bring in real completion at fullback, or a traditional fullback?

I think the Ravens will have an entirely new Kubiak offense where he still uses a lot of two tight end bootleg, but we may see a lot of shotgun and some no huddle. Kubiak is smart enough to tailor the offense to Joe

#12 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

I definitely think Joe is at his best when he runs a no huddle shotgun offense. Given that Kubiak "loves" to run the football, isn't it odd that the Ravens cut Leach and didn't bring in real completion at fullback, or a traditional fullback?

I've always thought that too. Mainly since that Arizona game a few years ago when we were down 20+ points ... and then the Steelers comeback in Torrey's rookie year. I love the no huddle shotgun as a change up; but in the end you can't win without a running attack. 

I think Kubiak will use more Single Back formations with more TE's and WR's as opposed to a standard I-Form type deal. But, we do have Kyle Juice who's that H-Back type that Kubiak loved to use after Vonta left Houston. 

#13 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think the Ravens will have an entirely new Kubiak offense where he still uses a lot of two tight end bootleg, but we may see a lot of shotgun and some no huddle. Kubiak is smart enough to tailor the offense to Joe

Agreed 100% with that.

That's part of the reason I was so for us drafting Eric Ebron. I understood the argument of needing a blocking TE more, especially in Kubiak's system, but I feel he's more than capable of making the proper adjustments for his personnel to succeed in whatever scheme he wants to run. Granted, I thought If Ebron made it to us he would be BPA, so that's just my opinion.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#14 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've always thought that too. Mainly since that Arizona game a few years ago when we were down 20+ points ... and then the Steelers comeback in Torrey's rookie year. I love the no huddle shotgun as a change up; but in the end you can't win without a running attack. 

I think Kubiak will use more Single Back formations with more TE's and WR's as opposed to a standard I-Form type deal. But, we do have Kyle Juice who's that H-Back type that Kubiak loved to use after Vonta left Houston.

I wasn't suggesting the Ravens won't run the ball, unlike last year, but I doubt they're a power run team that runs nearly as much as many are expecting

#15 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Agreed 100% with that.
That's part of the reason I was so for us drafting Eric Ebron. I understood the argument of needing a blocking TE more, especially in Kubiak's system, but I feel he's more than capable of making the proper adjustments for his personnel to succeed in whatever scheme he wants to run. Granted, I thought If Ebron made it to us he would be BPA, so that's just my opinion.

I was not a fan of Ebron at all. He reminds me very much of Dickson in the sense that he's an eh blocker, extremely athletic and a mismatch that can stretch the seam, but has questionable hands and can be pushed around. He's got far higher potential, but he's got lots of work to do. Now, ASJ on the other hand, I wanted him badly.

#16 BMORE21

BMORE21

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Flacco will be Flacco... A game manager and a beast in clutch time. He just need to learn how to go beyond his 1st read that the coaches draw up for him

#17 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

I wasn't suggesting the Ravens won't run the ball, unlike last year, but I doubt they're a power run team that runs nearly as much as many are expecting

No I know you weren't. I do agree that I think Flacco definitely looks his best when he's in the Shotgun no huddle just slinging the pigskin around. I was more commenting to the fact that I do think Kubiak is smart enough to use Flacco to his strengths. I think we will see the typical Kubiak offense. However, when it is called for, he will throw Flacco into that no huddle shotgun. Something he couldn't really do with a guy like Shaub. 

#18 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

No I know you weren't. I do agree that I think Flacco definitely looks his best when he's in the Shotgun no huddle just slinging the pigskin around. I was more commenting to the fact that I do think Kubiak is smart enough to use Flacco to his strengths. I think we will see the typical Kubiak offense. However, when it is called for, he will throw Flacco into that no huddle shotgun. Something he couldn't really do with a guy like Shaub.

That's absolutely the biggest thing to remember: Kubiak had Schaub and Foster before. If I had a choice I'd run the ball, too.

This is a different team with more receiving depth, more tight end depth, and a way better quarterback. This won't be Houston's old offense. This will be the Baltimore Ravens' offense.

Plus, I'm not terribly worried if Joe doesn't have tons of audibles. I think I said before, but Kubiak is very smart with making the right play call so that an audible isn't necessary

#19 xxhighriser

xxhighriser

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yup, too bad it will probably only last for a year.

1z1vj8y.png

#20 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

I honestly thought we would keep Leach atleast to provide some solid competition for Juice but it's understandable if they feel like he needs to start now( He was drafted in the fourth round).The type of fullback Juice is isn't really  different from James Casey whom played fullback and tight end for Gary Kubiak.

I don't know if Gary Kubiak going to use Juice creatively like  he did with James Casey but we shall see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users