flynismo

Most exciting player ever?

51 posts in this topic

If you could just pick one --ONE-- guy as the most exciting player ever, who would be your choice?

Many names come to mind, and strangely, nearly all of them are players from the past -- Eric Dickerson, Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders are the three RBs that first come to mind, Moss and Megatron are the first two WR, Steve Young and Randall Cunningham (seriously) are two QBs who were just a blast to watch....and on defense, LT, Reggie White, Deion, Ray, C-Mac and Ed Reed are at the very top of my list.

Devin Hester and Dante Hall were real treats as return men.

I can't make up my mind :(

Who are your favorites?

Most exciting player... by your initial post, I'm assuming it can be old or current... Wow, so many to choose from...

...Currently, I'd go with Brees.  Sure, Brady and Manning are consider the top-2, but Brees is easily #3 and every week he just seems to get better and better.

...Old school, The GOAT, Jerry Rice. 'Nuff said.

Edited by CosmicRedPanda

Maybe we should do that....the most exciting current player, and most exciting player who is no longer active. That way we get to choose two names :)

Ed Reed.... Whenever he would get the ball in his hands, a wide range of emotions would instantly fill up my body.

Excitement,adrenalin,fear,anxiety.... Just happy chaos for those moments. He was just so damn dangerous.

I didn't have the privilege to watch Prime in his prime, or Barry Sanders, but I'd say Hester would be my #2. Most dangerous returner I've ever seen.

Like Ed, he demanded respect from his opponents because of his big play ability.

Ed Reed.... Whenever he would get the ball in his hands, a wide range of emotions would instantly fill up my body.

Excitement,adrenalin,fear,anxiety.... Just happy chaos for those moments. He was just so damn dangerous.

I didn't have the privilege to watch Prime in his prime, or Barry Sanders, but I'd say Hester would be my #2. Most dangerous returner I've ever seen.

Like Ed, he demanded respect from his opponents because of his big play ability.

How many times have you caught yourself watching Ed Reed get a pick and start immediately shouting... "Don't lateral it! Don't lateral it!!"

Current player (not counting Reed) I'd say Rodgers and McCoy.

Watching Rodgers throw dimes on the run while facing pressure is just something special. McCoy might be the most elusive player in the league.

Most exciting player... by your initial post, I'm assuming it can be old or current... Wow, so many to choose from...

...Currently, I'd go with Brees.  Sure, Brady and Manning are consider the top-2, but Brees is easily #3 and every week he just seems to get better and better.

...Old school, The GOAT, Jerry Rice. 'Nuff said.

Brees? Really? Mr. easy over the middle? Mister "throw it up for Jimmy Graham"? Mister "dumpoff and lead the league in yac".? Brees is still great, but the style of play is kinda routine for me. I like watching their offense, but Brees' involvement isn't the interesting part to me. They way they used Sproles, Bush, Graham (and now Cooks) is the highlight.

I think McCoy or Jamaal Charles would probably win my vote for last year.

Brees? Really? Mr. easy over the middle? Mister "throw it up for Jimmy Graham"? Mister "dumpoff and lead the league in yac".? Brees is still great, but the style of play is kinda routine for me. I like watching their offense, but Brees' involvement isn't the interesting part to me. They way they used Sproles, Bush, Graham (and now Cooks) is the highlight.

I think McCoy or Jamaal Charles would probably win my vote for last year.

If any coach would ever make the list, it would without a question be Sean Payton.

C-Mac will always have a soft spot in my heart. Best pure cover corner in the game (unless he was facing Marvin Harrison ....ouch); was awesome watching him swat passes on one play, then seeing him layout a RB the next.

Ed Reed had possibly the most awe-inspiring play I have ever seen when he picked off McNabb and ran it back 108 yards. It looked like every player on the field was standing still when he blasted his way out of the end zone...I knew it was six before he even made it to our own 5

Ed Reed or Barry Sanders. One on either side of the ball.

DON'T LATERAL!!!!!

I like Cam Newton, just fun to watch him play. I always like watching Lynch however as well, he is a beast.

As for in the past, I can't say I have seen many guys live but from highlights Barry Sanders is my top guy. Honorable mention to Earl Campbell, I would have loved to had seen what he could have done had he stayed healthy.

Peterson. Hester. Moss. Vick. Chris Johnson (that one year I guess). Jamaal Charles (when healthy, which is rare). The ones I really watched play, I'm not gonna mention anybody I haven't seen on a week to week basis.

Dan Marino

Barry sanders

Jacoby jones

Ed reed

Troy polamalu

Edited by ravensdan

C-Mac will always have a soft spot in my heart. Best pure cover corner in the game (unless he was facing Marvin Harrison ....ouch); was awesome watching him swat passes on one play, then seeing him layout a RB the next.

Ed Reed had possibly the most awe-inspiring play I have ever seen when he picked off McNabb and ran it back 108 yards. It looked like every player on the field was standing still when he blasted his way out of the end zone...I knew it was six before he even made it to our own 5

wasent mcnabb.

was kolb who just came in after mcnabb got benched lol.

Ed reed to me was the most fun defender to watch.

from tape barry sanders was fun to watch but being from europe i got into football late and on offense i have a soft spot for jamal lewis.

the way he ran the ball i loved alot.

hard and punishing and still has speed to take it all the way.

also im a huge micheal vick fan lol.

watching him play in his early days was epic :D

dancing around would be tacklers whahaha

honorable mention to sean taylor though.

Edited by Tru11

Neon Deion Sanders.

Then id go Sanders, Dickerson, then Taylor

your like 12. This just feels like you said names of people you've heard off

So difficult to narrow it to one, so I won't.

My favorite player ever that I could have watched play until he couldn't walk - Jerry Rice

The most incredible athlete I ever watched - Bo Jackson

Most exciting home team player - Randall Cunningham (no contest)

Most incredible old school footage I've ever watched - Jim Brown

Most exciting defensive player - Tie between Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White and Ronnie Lott

Most exciting player today - Ed Reed (there hasn't been a season without him, yet, so I still consider him current)

If I had to pick just one - Barry Sanders, simply mystifying and I don't care if it's cliche.

For my Ravens list it was going to be C Mac and Reed. Lewis got me watching the Ravens but Reed made me a real fan. His whole style was crazy. One of the last real U type of players.

Right now we're in an interesting point. We're getring to see some all time greats I think. Players like AP, Calvin and Fitz are generational type players. Cam is another one. Patrick Peterson could be another if he steps up his coverage ability. Lets also not forget Moss. Jadeveon Clowney can be something special as well if he's serious about his approach to the game.

Cant believe I forgot about Bo.

Edited by redrum52

If we are talking strictly pro football then pre-dogfight Mike Vick and Ed Reed are the top 2 for me 

Edited by BALTIMOREFLACCO

How many times have you caught yourself watching Ed Reed get a pick and start immediately shouting... "Don't lateral it! Don't lateral it!!"

I was always hollerin "Tackle him Ray".Lol.

Dan Marino was the most exciting. He gunned that ball all over the place.

Current. Im going with JJ Watt. Just a beast.

I was always hollerin "Tackle him Ray".Lol.

Dan Marino was the most exciting. He gunned that ball all over the place.

Current. Im going with JJ Watt. Just a beast.

Qbs meh. JJ maybe.

I would say that Lynch is the most entertaining RB in the NFL today. I wish we had more people like him.

I would say that Lynch is the most entertaining RB in the NFL today. I wish we had more people like him.

Yeah I have to say Lynch is my favorite RB in the game right now. 

Barry Sanders got me to start watching football when I was young. He's the most elusive guy I've ever seen - some of the stuff he did was just incredible.

Ed reed is the most exciting raven in my book...

And I have to give a nod to Jacoby if we're going current ravens. Seems like any time we need a big play either in the passing game or return the man delivers. Not an all-time or anywhere close but he's building a resume over the past 2 years.

Ed Reeeeeeed.

I also feel like I have to mention Jamal.  How many games was this guy just unstoppable ?

Brian Bosworth know too! Jackson left him "Cold as Ice" in the end zone

Well, that's what happens when you call a future hall of fame player and tell them "I'm gonna shut you down!"

Poor Bosworth, no one will ever remember him for anything else.

I dont want to pretend like I got to see him play or could educate anyone on him... but the limited footage ive seen, and from stories ive heard from my grandfathers - Gale Sayers was one of the most exciting guys to watch both running the football and during returns.

Just wanted to throw another name in the hat and show some love to past greatness.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Reggie Bush was incredible at USC but didn't have nearly the same spark in the NFL.

Most exciting players I've seen were guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Dawkins, Devin Hester, Julius Peppers, etc

Ray Lewis-- But the funniest thing that  used to crack me up was Merton Hanks (49ers) doing that dance with his neck after he would make a play. That was entertainment.

Old school most exciting:

offense: Barry Sanders - not sure how many times my jaw hit the floor

Honorable mention : Randy Moss - Min.

Defense: Ed Reed

Honorable mention: Javon Kearse ( for 3 r 4 year period The Freak was must see tv )

Current players:

Offense : Adrien Peterson

Defense: Navarro Bowman

Well, that's what happens when you call a future hall of fame player and tell them "I'm gonna shut you down!"

Poor Bosworth, no one will ever remember him for anything else.

The movie or being run over? Lol

If we are talking strictly pro football then pre-dogfight Mike Vick and Ed Reed are the top 2 for me 

I will agree with you I will also add Fran Tarkenton and John Elway. Their scrambling ability and improvisation behind to LOS is unmatched. They could buy so much time to make an amazing play downfield.

I will put John Elway at the top of this list and any list for that matter.  His bombs downfield. He was the king of comebacks (amazing comebacks), and he would will less talented Denver teams to victory. He was probably the most gifted QB ever until Vick came into the league.

From the highlights I had seen, it would have to be Barry Sanders. He was still playing when I was really young, but I never got to see him play. 

As for players I did get to actually watch. Michael Vick (two 1,000 yard rushers in a season and one is a quarterback?) and Ed Reed. 

Yea Vick used to be my favorite player ever in like 2005. Even though I was a Ravens fan, I had 3 different Vick jerseys and all.

He was truly electrifying in his Falcons days/2009 with Philly.

Yea Vick used to be my favorite player ever in like 2005. Even though I was a Ravens fan, I had 3 different Vick jerseys and all.

He was truly electrifying in his Falcons days/2009 with Philly.

He was insanely accurate in his first season in Philly. He was the best QB in the NFL to me

If we are going to stick with one ever, I say Adrian Peterson. The guy can beat anybody using any skill a RB is supposed to have. Speed, moves, power, you name it he has done it and done it to perfection. 

Now, if I can have more than one.

Offense : Adrian Peterson

Defense: Sean Taylor or Jack Tatum

ST: Dante Hall (The human joystick), or Devin Hester.

Charlie Sheen hands down. Did you see his work in Two and a Half men?

But really…this is biased but Jacoby Jones. He gets me excited for every kickoff even if we are losing.