74 replies to this topic

#1 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

i am a Torrey Smith fan, but lets keep this short an to the point. Lets look at let say Antonio Bryant when he came in the league all he did was catch screens and deep routes now he's transformed into a special all around player who can do more than just catch screens and deep passes. That's what Torrey Smith needs he gotta work on his route running and become more of a polished receiver instead of only being able to catch deeps passes. I agree he is a good player but i think he got 1000 yards by default because we didn't have another receiver to throw to. Again i do think he's capable of being a number one receiver but he has to take the next step an learn how to get open on short routes. and work on his route running.

#2 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,112 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

I think you're right.  That was his problem at MD, and in his draft profile.  They claimed that his routes weren't crisp.  With a new WR coach, maybe we'll see some changes in him.

117hd79.jpg

#3 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

I thought he made a lot of improvement in his route running and YAC. He can be a lot better though. Like Mom Gene said, I hope the new WR coach helps him develop more.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#4 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

exactly i feel like if teams take away his deep routes than he disappear from the game...that's what happen alot last year after the deep game was taken away we didn't have no one to throw to cause he dosent know how to get open an doesnt run good routes.

#5 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

I don't think he's calling his own plays or routes. He's used to open stuff up for guys underneath on a lot of plays I think.

#6 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,768 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

I'm really excited about the potential Torrey Smith has. He has real #1 potential, and I think that may very well shine this year with Engram as his new WR coach and an unmentioned addition that could really benefit Torrey--Smith Sr.

It's true that Hostler wasn't a very good WR coach. Hell, IMO, he wasn't even average. I was calling for his head for years, at least since 2010. I'm so happy to not see him here anymore. I think he held Torrey back. I recall an article I read where Hostler stated he didn't think Torrey would amount to much and he surprised him. That's not very good, IMO. I'd like the coaches to have more confidence in the players than that.

As for Steve Smith Sr, I think his game is something Torrey could emulate more than Anquan's, which is why I really like the signing. Smith will really teach Torrey a lot, IMO, and I think he could very well help Torrey take the next step in his development. I know people will say Torrey didn't have a good year, but I think he did have a good year last year. Sure, he needed to secure more of his catches, but he did display an evolving route tree by working some short routes into his repertoire.

#7 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,161 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

In 2012, Torrey was really only a deep threat, and with Joe at the helm, that worked really well.  Last year he definitely ran far more varied routes with some success, but with the offense being lackluster as a whole, I don't think it would have worked either way.

I think this year we'll see a continuation of this trend.  Torrey is a great deep threat, and that gives him the ability to shake off his defender and get open in the middle of the field.  There were quite a few plays last year where he showed his strength getting some quality YAC.  With Kubiak at OC, I think Torrey is going to excel both down the field as a deep threat, and in the middle of the field w/ quality route running.

#8 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

He's progressing like he should and I'm sure he works hard. From first yr to second he worked on catching with his hands vs trapping the ball. Last year he ran more routes than the yr before but at the end of the day we didn't have anyone pulling attention away from Torrey so defenses were able to bracket him.

He will work on other routes and his hands again but now we should also have better play calling so his route won't be as predictable

#9 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

To be fair our offensive staff has been below average for a long time. Here's hoping we improved in this regard this offseason.

bJNF689.jpg

#10 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

The best quality Torrey has is his work ethic and positive attitude, he could definitely step his game up in the next year or 2 into something much better than what we see now. He wont be a dominant number 1 but he could still put up #1 stats and give us a good reliability factor even though in a lot of ways he already has. He definitely has to get stronger and more physical and continue to work on his route running...but I think he has shown some steady improvement over the first 3 seasons after his god awful pre season debut and has some room left for improvement. I have a lot of hope for Torrey and hope he gets a contract extension with us.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#11 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

You have to consider the offense he's been in since he got to Baltimore. Cam Cameron ran Torrey on Go Routes all day long because that's what Cam does, and the offense never changed under Caldwell. Torrey has progressed every year, and his hands have gotten 100% better. Under a Kubiak offense, I'am excited for his future. 

#12 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Not disagreeing at all with the OP's sentiment but Bobby Engram will have Torrey balling this year on that full route tree, wait and see (as well as all of our other young receivers). So much better to have a wide receivers coach who was, you know actually a wide receiver who was a good route runner, as opposed to Hostler who obviously never was.

#13 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

i agree with you all, i super excited to see him develop more. I'm just hoping like everyone else that he takes the next step..He has to master his route running an being able to get open in short routes.....i hoping engram can teach that with all our your WR's. I see other teams young WR developing so i know our can as well. I was really hoping Deonte Thompson would develop into something Special we be will see.

#14 AwakenTheDemon

AwakenTheDemon

Redwood Original

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Anyone who's been around here since before Smith was drafted, I'm sure remembers how much I hated us drafting him. As a matter of fact, I distinctly said all he did was catch fly routes or short screens and was extremely limited in his route tree.

Torrey proved me wrong, and I admitted to that in my own thread after his rookie season (or during it, I can't remember). I can say that he was very much a deep threat guy his rookie year, but he didn't need to do much more than that his rookie year when he had Anquan to tear it up underneath. Remember, we traded for Lee Evans that year to really play the role that Torrey ended up playing in the offense.

Honestly, I think it was evident last season that Torrey made some real strides in his routes. He wasn't just running fly routes, there were quite a few slants (finally), drags, and so on. Sure, they weren't those beautiful come backs that Mason ran for years here, but you can't deny Smith made some real improvement. He's still young, and still learning. I think he's still reaching his full potential and entering his prime. I've always admired (which I said this even when I was ripping everything else about him apart when we drafted him) his dedication to bettering himself and willingness to learn, and that was very evident to me last year.

Three years later, and I still very much believe in Torrey's full potential and am a huge fan of his.

50fe85a6-806d-4819-bc60-ed0fdf32f1af.jpg

GamerTag: AwakenTheDemon | PSN: OldLostAgony | Twitter

#15 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,814 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Anyone who's been around here since before Smith was drafted, I'm sure remembers how much I hated us drafting him. As a matter of fact, I distinctly said all he did was catch fly routes or short screens and was extremely limited in his route tree.

Torrey proved me wrong, and I admitted to that in my own thread after his rookie season (or during it, I can't remember). I can say that he was very much a deep threat guy his rookie year, but he didn't need to do much more than that his rookie year when he had Anquan to tear it up underneath. Remember, we traded for Lee Evans that year to really play the role that Torrey ended up playing in the offense.

Honestly, I think it was evident last season that Torrey made some real strides in his routes. He wasn't just running fly routes, there were quite a few slants (finally), drags, and so on. Sure, they weren't those beautiful come backs that Mason ran for years here, but you can't deny Smith made some real improvement. He's still young, and still learning. I think he's still reaching his full potential and entering his prime. I've always admired (which I said this even when I was ripping everything else about him apart when we drafted him) his dedication to bettering himself and willingness to learn, and that was very evident to me last year.

Three years later, and I still very much believe in Torrey's full potential and am a huge fan of his.

I wouldn't say he made significant strides. Boldin's departure thrust Torrey into a role in which he had to do more than run a fly or catch a screen. He did his best in that new role, that's about all we can say about that...other than he didn't run crisp routes or show the ability to get open without relying on his speed.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#16 AwakenTheDemon

AwakenTheDemon

Redwood Original

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

I wouldn't say he made significant strides. Boldin's departure thrust Torrey into a role in which he had to do more than run a fly or catch a screen. He did his best in that new role, that's about all we can say about that...other than he didn't run crisp routes or show the ability to get open without relying on his speed.

I'm not saying he did turn into a reliable route runner, but no matter what he's going to use his speed to get open. That's his natural skill set, just like Anquan was never quick and used his routes and physicality to get open. All I'm saying is Torrey showed some improvement in his routes, not that he approached some level of channeling Boldin or Mason. Not that he made some huge step towards mastering the art of the route tree. After all, he came into the NFL behind the learning curve since he had been running the same sort of go-or-screen sort of gameplan during his time at Maryland also.

Had Boldin not been around in Smith's first two seasons, I don't think he'd see any sort of the success he had last year with anything other than just flies and screens. But it's also like I said in that Smith is still young, and is a hard worker, I see him getting more adept at running cleaner routes, even though I think no matter how good they get, he'll always depend on his speed first.

50fe85a6-806d-4819-bc60-ed0fdf32f1af.jpg

GamerTag: AwakenTheDemon | PSN: OldLostAgony | Twitter

#17 0_o

0_o

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

I believe Torrey will have a 1,300+ season this year. We had an offensive scheme in place last season that used Torrey's speed to our disadvantage and an offensive line that never gave the 5 and 7 step drop-back a chance. We forced teams to take away the top but didn't have anyone underneath to exploit it. With Kubiak you're going to see Torrey used in a lot of new ways, more efficient ways, which should result in Joe connecting with him on a plethora of big plays, especially with all the well-designed play action fakes Gary implements. 

This offense is going to force defenses to play honestly instead of always stacking the box and scheming Torrey out of the play. Joe Flacco was sacked 48 times last year and Torrey still managed to put up 1,128 yards on only 65 receptions.. Imagine if the O-line afforded Joe 10 extra passes to Torrey, What would that have done to his stats last year? 100+ more yards and a few more TDs would've pushed Torrey into Pro Bowl consideration...

I believe Kubiak's play calling will immediately elevate the level of play from our stars. If the offensive line gets coordinated properly this is going to be an extremely tough team to beat on both sides of the ball. Expect Ray Rice to get back to form, Flacco to finally exceed 4,000 yds through the air and Pitta and Torrey to be in contention for a roster spot in the Pro Bowl this year. 

There's more to getting open then just route running. The right play has to be called but more importantly the timing of when it's called - which always seemed to be out of sync last year. Torrey should be a top 3 WR in the AFC this season. Assuming we don't acquire Andre Johnson ;)

Edited by 0_o, 25 May 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#18 BBoogieMan

BBoogieMan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Not Joe bashing, but the accuracy of the QB is an issue. I've seen Joe just completely miss an open Torrey. His numbers and contributions to the team and its success would be improved b/c of that, IMO...Along with play-calling.

#19 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,814 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Not Joe bashing, but the accuracy of the QB is an issue. I've seen Joe just completely miss an open Torrey. His numbers and contributions to the team and its success would be improved b/c of that, IMO...Along with play-calling.

I agree somewhat. The accuracy on the deep balls was inconsistent, which did Torrey no favors at all. But a huge part of that comes back to the OL...we know what Joe can do if you give him a half decent pocket.
But it's also not like Joe was all over the place on short or intermediate passes, either. His accuracy was fine then. I think it would be fair to question some of the decisions Joe made, like forcing it to Torrey even when he was covered like a wet blanket, that didn't help Torrey's stats either.
But really, I don't want to blame Joe for that, even though it would be fair to do so. You can only throw away so many passes, take so many sacks each game before you feel you need to make something happen.

Anyway, as Ravens fans, let's all collectively try to erase 2013 from our memories
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#20 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,814 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

I believe Torrey will have a 1,300+ season this year. We had an offensive scheme in place last season that used Torrey's speed to our disadvantage and an offensive line that never gave the 5 and 7 step drop-back a chance. We forced teams to take away the top but didn't have anyone underneath to exploit it. With Kubiak you're going to see Torrey used in a lot of new ways, more efficient ways, which should result in Joe connecting with him on a plethora of big time plays this year, especially with all the well-designed play action fakes Gary implements.

This new offense is going to force defenses to truly play honest instead of always just stacking the box and scheming Torrey out of the play. Joe Flacco was sacked 48 times last year and Torrey still managed to put up 1,128 yards on only 65 receptions.. Imagine if the O-line afforded Joe with 10 more passes to Torrey, What would that have done to his stats last year? 100+ more yards and a few more TDs would've pushed Torrey into Pro Bowl consideration...

I believe Kubiak's play calling will immediately elevate the level of play from our stars. If the offensive line gets coordinated properly this is going to be an extremely tough team to beat on both sides of the ball. Expect Ray Rice to get back to form, Flacco to finally exceed 4,000 yds through the air and Pitta and Torrey to be in contention for a roster spot in the Pro Bowl this year.

There's more to getting open then just route running. The right play has to be called but more importantly the timing of when it's called, which always seemed to be out of sync last year...Torrey should be a top 3 WR in the AFC this season. Assuming we don't acquire Andre Johnson ;)

1300 yards would not surprise me at all --- if the OL performs adequately.

then again, if everyone does their jobs on offense, I think that nobody will put up huge stats. Assuming good health, and that S Smith and Daniels play well for us, we will be spreading the ball a ton, and will have a lot of guys with good numbers....so guys will get less opportunities individually, they absolutely must make the most of each opportunity they get if they want to stand out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users