10 replies to this topic

#1 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

"To make room on the roster, the #Ravens cut TE Matt Furstenburg, OLB D.J. Bryant and DT Cody Larsen."

#2 Alaska Alaska!

Alaska Alaska!

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Was really excited to see what Furst could do, but I guess he really wasn't as great as we all hoped he'd be. 

#3 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

"To make room on the roster, the #Ravens cut TE Matt Furstenburg, OLB D.J. Bryant and DT Cody Larsen."

Interesting. All 3 were on the PS last year iirc. So that opens up some spots on the PS. It will be interesting to see who takes their spots.

#4 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

No way they cut Furstenburg!! He was supposed to be the teams savior (according to a lot of posters) when Dickson and Clark were dropping passes and Pitta was hurt.

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm surprised they cut Furstenburg.  I was never one of those clamoring for him to be on the team, but I do think he has enough talent to at least stick through training camp.  If anything, I'm more surprised that they cut Furst over Nathan Overbay.

#6 Alaska Alaska!

Alaska Alaska!

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'm surprised they cut Furstenburg.  I was never one of those clamoring for him to be on the team, but I do think he has enough talent to at least stick through training camp.  If anything, I'm more surprised that they cut Furst over Nathan Overbay.

Isn't obvious why they're keeping Nathan Overbay?

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,439 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

No way they cut Furstenburg!! He was supposed to be the teams savior (according to a lot of posters) when Dickson and Clark were dropping passes and Pitta was hurt.

I always hoped he would be something more. Mostly because he went to Maryland.

I think a lot of posters were also sick of seeing Clark & Dickson stinking it up and wanted to see the young guy get a chance.

Edited by Gordo52, 19 May 2014 - 01:47 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I'm not all that shocked about that. Overbay is a massize 6'5 270 man, so we can assume he can block. Good size can also indicate a good RZ target. Furstenburg was essentially a Pitta clone. We already have Daniels who can receive and we have Juice who, while he isn't a TE, is also comparable to Pitta as a receiving threat.

Simply put, I think we cut Furstenburg instead of Overbay because Overbay offers a different skill set, while Furst offers more of the same. 

Edited by The Raven, 19 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#9 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'm not all that shocked about that. Overbay is a massize 6'5 270 man, so we can assume he can block. Good size can also indicate a good RZ target. Furstenburg was essentially a Pitta clone. We already have Daniels who can receive and we have Juice who, while he isn't a TE, he's also comparable to Pitta as a receiving threat.

Simply put, I think we cut Furstenburg instead of Overbay because Overbay offers a different skill set, while Furst offers more of the same.

Well put. I think him being cut might be good for him. He may end up on a squad where playing time is more a realistic possibility.

#10 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm not all that shocked about that. Overbay is a massize 6'5 270 man, so we can assume he can block. Good size can also indicate a good RZ target. Furstenburg was essentially a Pitta clone. We already have Daniels who can receive and we have Juice who, while he isn't a TE, he's also comparable to Pitta as a receiving threat.

That makes sense for sure.  Even though I was never a proponent of Furst on the active roster, I still do believe he was at least talented enough to keep around through training camp.  I guess he didn't show much over rookie camp this weekend.

#11 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Too bad Jerry Rice Jr. didn't make it. It was an uphill battle for him, but it looks like he will get another opportunity with his father's old team, San Fran. He would be a long shot to make their roster too.

http://www.nfl.com/n...jr-after-tryout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users