Photo

Do the Ravens utilize gadget plays enough?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 davy_861

davy_861

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Gadget plays have a high risk over reward ratio. Do the ravens have the personnel to try at least one a game? Who are good gadget players on the team? Will Kubiak bring more excitement to the offense in this manner?

#2 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

They did some gadget plays when they brought Tyrod into the game and lined Joe up as a WR against Pittsburgh. Flaccos arm strength could be used on some flea flickers.

#3 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Gadget plays have a high risk over reward ratio. Do the ravens have the personnel to try at least one a game? Who are good gadget players on the team? Will Kubiak bring more excitement to the offense in this manner?

I think the Ravens just want a consistently good offense.  So they're more worried about that, than a "gagdet offense."

Some could say they've tried, but I don't agree.  The whole point is to catch the defense off-guard.  Anytime they've put in a back-up QB.... it was an automatic running play.  There wasn't even an attempt to sell a pass.  So really, it was pointless.

The occassional flea-flicker has worked, and I can see that still being a part of the playbook.

You asked if they have the personnel to run that?  Well, I don't know... but in my opinion they have the personnel to have a good offense in the NFL.  I don't think they deserve any excuses.  They should be performing better than they have been.  Scoring more points, and possessing the ball much more than their opponent.  If this doesn't happen, I hope I don't hear "it was the first year in a new offense" excuses.

#4 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

A good offense doesn't need gadgets.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#5 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

I thought starting Gino and Oher were gadget plays :unsure:

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#6 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

We tried some with Tyrod but Joe refused to run a 9 route to draw the CB away from the box. I guess he's fine with being paid.

#7 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

o God no.... not the end arounds  :tombstone:

z66oxxi.jpg

#8 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

So, OP, are you going to participate in the discussion or are you just gathering opinions?
15fqib6.jpg

#9 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some gadget plays used. Obviously, it has to be the right situation to call a gadget play, but that is one thing I've always wanted to see more out of the Ravens. One play that comes to mind is in a goal-line situation, load up with blockers and Crocket Gilmore. Pitch/handoff to the strong side and have Gilmore leave his block after a second or two and run into the end zone for a HB Pass. I think something small like that could possibly work once or maybe twice. 

This is a perfect example: 

Edited by MoveThoseChains, 17 May 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#10 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some gadget plays used. Obviously, it has to be the right situation to call a gadget play, but that is one thing I've always wanted to see more out of the Ravens. One play that comes to mind is in a goal-line situation, load up with blockers and Crocket Gilmore. Pitch/handoff to the strong side and have Gilmore leave his block after a second or two and run into the end zone for a HB Pass. I think something small like that could possibly work once or maybe twice. 

This is a perfect example: 

Truthfully, I think we should make a conscious effort to run one, maybe two, every single week as a throwaway play. Just to plant the seed and keep defenses on their toes -- not to actually rely on it for anything

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#11 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

He doesn't like being taken from under center. He has a point - the problem with the offense wasn't him. Why should he be the one who loses snaps?

why??

maybe because it could help the team?

doesent seem like a team first mentality if you put it that way lol

dq0w81.gif

#12 davy_861

davy_861

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

A good offense doesn't need gadgets. That's like saying the US didn't need a nuclear bomb in ww2, or better yet, were so good we refuse to try different things. We want the opponent to know our every move because we are so great --no deception or trickery=boring  

#13 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

o God no.... not the end arounds  :tombstone:

Too soon.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#14 davy_861

davy_861

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

A good offense doesn't need gadgets.

Are we really that good? More touchdowns wouldn't hurt.

#15 davy_861

davy_861

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

So, OP, are you going to participate in the discussion or are you just gathering opinions?

I will participate.

#16 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

We could run Joe out as a WR couple times a game. That what you're thinking?

A "trick play" 3~4 times a year...no problem.

#17 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

We tried some with Tyrod but Joe refused to run a 9 route to draw the CB away from the box. I guess he's fine with being paid.

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route. I remember Ben geting mad at Pittsburgh staff when they told him to line up at WR. Since he's not Joe Flacco, so He didn't get much flack for it.

Edited by BSHU_Miami, 17 May 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#18 davy_861

davy_861

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

We could run Joe out as a WR couple times a game. That what you're thinking?
A "trick play" 3~4 times a year...no problem.

You don't have to take Joe away from center to run a gadget play

#19 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

why??

maybe because it could help the team?

doesent seem like a team first mentality if you put it that way lol

I don't think using guys in a manner out of their element helps the team; if Ngata can play TE, great, but that doesn't mean we should expect Flacco to run routes.

#20 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route.

I'm not 100% sure, but I could have sworn it was Joe who made the choice. Could be wrong though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users