Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davy_861

Do the Ravens utilize gadget plays enough?

97 posts in this topic

Gadget plays have a high risk over reward ratio. Do the ravens have the personnel to try at least one a game? Who are good gadget players on the team? Will Kubiak bring more excitement to the offense in this manner?

They did some gadget plays when they brought Tyrod into the game and lined Joe up as a WR against Pittsburgh. Flaccos arm strength could be used on some flea flickers.

Gadget plays have a high risk over reward ratio. Do the ravens have the personnel to try at least one a game? Who are good gadget players on the team? Will Kubiak bring more excitement to the offense in this manner?

I think the Ravens just want a consistently good offense.  So they're more worried about that, than a "gagdet offense."

Some could say they've tried, but I don't agree.  The whole point is to catch the defense off-guard.  Anytime they've put in a back-up QB.... it was an automatic running play.  There wasn't even an attempt to sell a pass.  So really, it was pointless.

The occassional flea-flicker has worked, and I can see that still being a part of the playbook.

You asked if they have the personnel to run that?  Well, I don't know... but in my opinion they have the personnel to have a good offense in the NFL.  I don't think they deserve any excuses.  They should be performing better than they have been.  Scoring more points, and possessing the ball much more than their opponent.  If this doesn't happen, I hope I don't hear "it was the first year in a new offense" excuses.

We tried some with Tyrod but Joe refused to run a 9 route to draw the CB away from the box. I guess he's fine with being paid.

I wouldn't mind seeing some gadget plays used. Obviously, it has to be the right situation to call a gadget play, but that is one thing I've always wanted to see more out of the Ravens. One play that comes to mind is in a goal-line situation, load up with blockers and Crocket Gilmore. Pitch/handoff to the strong side and have Gilmore leave his block after a second or two and run into the end zone for a HB Pass. I think something small like that could possibly work once or maybe twice. 

This is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6_SJJfjCU

I wouldn't mind seeing some gadget plays used. Obviously, it has to be the right situation to call a gadget play, but that is one thing I've always wanted to see more out of the Ravens. One play that comes to mind is in a goal-line situation, load up with blockers and Crocket Gilmore. Pitch/handoff to the strong side and have Gilmore leave his block after a second or two and run into the end zone for a HB Pass. I think something small like that could possibly work once or maybe twice. 

This is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6_SJJfjCU

Truthfully, I think we should make a conscious effort to run one, maybe two, every single week as a throwaway play. Just to plant the seed and keep defenses on their toes -- not to actually rely on it for anything

He doesn't like being taken from under center. He has a point - the problem with the offense wasn't him. Why should he be the one who loses snaps?

why??

maybe because it could help the team?

doesent seem like a team first mentality if you put it that way lol

A good offense doesn't need gadgets. That's like saying the US didn't need a nuclear bomb in ww2, or better yet, were so good we refuse to try different things. We want the opponent to know our every move because we are so great --no deception or trickery=boring  

So, OP, are you going to participate in the discussion or are you just gathering opinions?

I will participate.

We could run Joe out as a WR couple times a game. That what you're thinking?

A "trick play" 3~4 times a year...no problem.

We tried some with Tyrod but Joe refused to run a 9 route to draw the CB away from the box. I guess he's fine with being paid.

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route. I remember Ben geting mad at Pittsburgh staff when they told him to line up at WR. Since he's not Joe Flacco, so He didn't get much flack for it.

We could run Joe out as a WR couple times a game. That what you're thinking?

A "trick play" 3~4 times a year...no problem.

You don't have to take Joe away from center to run a gadget play

why??

maybe because it could help the team?

doesent seem like a team first mentality if you put it that way lol

I don't think using guys in a manner out of their element helps the team; if Ngata can play TE, great, but that doesn't mean we should expect Flacco to run routes.

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route.

I'm not 100% sure, but I could have sworn it was Joe who made the choice. Could be wrong though

I am all for some more trick plays, but Joe lining up at wide receiver is just a silly trick play. The defense already knows a trick is coming before we even snap the ball. We have to conceive the play better, and look like we are running a normal play. I was never a fan of Flacco lining up at WR. Kubiak can (hopefully) come up with some better trick plays than that.

I don't think using guys in a manner out of their element helps the team; if Ngata can play TE, great, but that doesn't mean we should expect Flacco to run routes.

Flacco running routes huh. Can you even identify gadget players. I asked that question. I didn't mention anything about hurting big JOE or putting NGATA at TE. Were the Cowboys afraid to put DEION SANDERS at WR?

I'm not 100% sure, but I could have sworn it was Joe who made the choice. Could be wrong though

Hmmm maybe it was an option route and Joe elected not to run the route. I remember hearing the interview, i'll have to go back and look.

Please don't remind me, I was fuming because Ngata sprained his MCL being lined up on offense. I wanted to kick the coaching staff in their collective throats. Good thing most of them are gone now :)

Please don't remind me, I was fuming because Ngata sprained his MCL being lined up on offense. I wanted to kick the coaching staff in their collective throats. Good thing most of them are gone now :)

So true

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route. I remember Ben geting mad at Pittsburgh staff when they told him to line up at WR. Since he's not Joe Flacco, so He didn't get much flack for it.

I made up the 9 route part because it would be silly to watch Joe running it.

I made up the 9 route part because it would be silly to watch Joe running it.

Tyrod to Flacco @ OAK in 2008! It was very silly, but that's what made it entertaining!

Tyrod to Flacco @ OAK in 2008! It was very silly, but that's what made it entertaining!

It was Troy smith. Tyrod wasn't a pro then