davy_861

Do the Ravens utilize gadget plays enough?

97 posts in this topic

Gadget plays have a high risk over reward ratio. Do the ravens have the personnel to try at least one a game? Who are good gadget players on the team? Will Kubiak bring more excitement to the offense in this manner?

They did some gadget plays when they brought Tyrod into the game and lined Joe up as a WR against Pittsburgh. Flaccos arm strength could be used on some flea flickers.

Gadget plays have a high risk over reward ratio. Do the ravens have the personnel to try at least one a game? Who are good gadget players on the team? Will Kubiak bring more excitement to the offense in this manner?

I think the Ravens just want a consistently good offense.  So they're more worried about that, than a "gagdet offense."

Some could say they've tried, but I don't agree.  The whole point is to catch the defense off-guard.  Anytime they've put in a back-up QB.... it was an automatic running play.  There wasn't even an attempt to sell a pass.  So really, it was pointless.

The occassional flea-flicker has worked, and I can see that still being a part of the playbook.

You asked if they have the personnel to run that?  Well, I don't know... but in my opinion they have the personnel to have a good offense in the NFL.  I don't think they deserve any excuses.  They should be performing better than they have been.  Scoring more points, and possessing the ball much more than their opponent.  If this doesn't happen, I hope I don't hear "it was the first year in a new offense" excuses.

We tried some with Tyrod but Joe refused to run a 9 route to draw the CB away from the box. I guess he's fine with being paid.

I wouldn't mind seeing some gadget plays used. Obviously, it has to be the right situation to call a gadget play, but that is one thing I've always wanted to see more out of the Ravens. One play that comes to mind is in a goal-line situation, load up with blockers and Crocket Gilmore. Pitch/handoff to the strong side and have Gilmore leave his block after a second or two and run into the end zone for a HB Pass. I think something small like that could possibly work once or maybe twice. 

This is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6_SJJfjCU

Edited by MoveThoseChains

I wouldn't mind seeing some gadget plays used. Obviously, it has to be the right situation to call a gadget play, but that is one thing I've always wanted to see more out of the Ravens. One play that comes to mind is in a goal-line situation, load up with blockers and Crocket Gilmore. Pitch/handoff to the strong side and have Gilmore leave his block after a second or two and run into the end zone for a HB Pass. I think something small like that could possibly work once or maybe twice. 

Truthfully, I think we should make a conscious effort to run one, maybe two, every single week as a throwaway play. Just to plant the seed and keep defenses on their toes -- not to actually rely on it for anything

He doesn't like being taken from under center. He has a point - the problem with the offense wasn't him. Why should he be the one who loses snaps?

why??

maybe because it could help the team?

doesent seem like a team first mentality if you put it that way lol

A good offense doesn't need gadgets. That's like saying the US didn't need a nuclear bomb in ww2, or better yet, were so good we refuse to try different things. We want the opponent to know our every move because we are so great --no deception or trickery=boring  

So, OP, are you going to participate in the discussion or are you just gathering opinions?

I will participate.

We could run Joe out as a WR couple times a game. That what you're thinking?

A "trick play" 3~4 times a year...no problem.

We tried some with Tyrod but Joe refused to run a 9 route to draw the CB away from the box. I guess he's fine with being paid.

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route. I remember Ben geting mad at Pittsburgh staff when they told him to line up at WR. Since he's not Joe Flacco, so He didn't get much flack for it.

Edited by BSHU_Miami

We could run Joe out as a WR couple times a game. That what you're thinking?

A "trick play" 3~4 times a year...no problem.

You don't have to take Joe away from center to run a gadget play

why??

maybe because it could help the team?

doesent seem like a team first mentality if you put it that way lol

I don't think using guys in a manner out of their element helps the team; if Ngata can play TE, great, but that doesn't mean we should expect Flacco to run routes.

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route.

I'm not 100% sure, but I could have sworn it was Joe who made the choice. Could be wrong though

You don't have to take Joe away from center to run a gadget play

I like this guy already :D

I am all for some more trick plays, but Joe lining up at wide receiver is just a silly trick play. The defense already knows a trick is coming before we even snap the ball. We have to conceive the play better, and look like we are running a normal play. I was never a fan of Flacco lining up at WR. Kubiak can (hopefully) come up with some better trick plays than that.

I don't think using guys in a manner out of their element helps the team; if Ngata can play TE, great, but that doesn't mean we should expect Flacco to run routes.

Flacco running routes huh. Can you even identify gadget players. I asked that question. I didn't mention anything about hurting big JOE or putting NGATA at TE. Were the Cowboys afraid to put DEION SANDERS at WR?

I'm not 100% sure, but I could have sworn it was Joe who made the choice. Could be wrong though

Hmmm maybe it was an option route and Joe elected not to run the route. I remember hearing the interview, i'll have to go back and look.

Please don't remind me, I was fuming because Ngata sprained his MCL being lined up on offense. I wanted to kick the coaching staff in their collective throats. Good thing most of them are gone now :)

Please don't remind me, I was fuming because Ngata sprained his MCL being lined up on offense. I wanted to kick the coaching staff in their collective throats. Good thing most of them are gone now :)

So true

As far as I remember, The Coaches were the ones who told Joe dont run the 9 route. I remember Ben geting mad at Pittsburgh staff when they told him to line up at WR. Since he's not Joe Flacco, so He didn't get much flack for it.

I made up the 9 route part because it would be silly to watch Joe running it.

I made up the 9 route part because it would be silly to watch Joe running it.

Tyrod to Flacco @ OAK in 2008! It was very silly, but that's what made it entertaining!

Tyrod to Flacco @ OAK in 2008! It was very silly, but that's what made it entertaining!

It was Troy smith. Tyrod wasn't a pro then

Not a fan of gadget for the sake of doing it.

Think most got sick of the predictability of stallworth on an end around every time he came in.

Ftr the only gadget I've been okay with is our occasional fake fg/pat

It was Troy smith. Tyrod wasn't a pro then

They're not the same person? Learn something new everyday :D

Sorry, don't take things so personal, I have a dry sense of humor and frankly don't understand where your coming from

You're new here, and some comments made me believe you were being 'not nice'. My apologies if I took things the wrong way.

Thanks for the insult. :)

Sorry to you too Bruce_Almty--the apology extends to everyone else I offended. We are getting to sensitive and emotional as a society. Can't even say the G word anymore. Have a nice Saturday ladies and gentlemen.

You're new here, and some comments made me believe you were being 'not nice'. My apologies if I took things the wrong way.

No worries . It's all good. GO RAVENS

A good offense doesn't need gadgets.

Denver had the best offense last year but could have used a few gadget plays against that defense during the Super Bowl. I believe teams should have all options available if/when needed and I don't mean just the Wildcat. 

Rice is left handed?

thats true but even as a player if you dont like it , you should put the team first and not your personell reference.

at least that is  how i see.

if the coaches think ngata would be a better blocker in the run game on the 1 yard line then any of our TE, i would be really dishearted if ngata lines up and then just stand and let the defender get in the backfield because he feels he should not be out there blocking .

im pretty sure everyone here would feel the same if any player shows this mentality and it kind of suprise me that many are giving the guy that signed the richest deal in ravens history a pass lol.

thats true but even as a player if you dont like it , you should put the team first and not your personell reference.

at least that is  how i see.

if the coaches think ngata would be a better blocker in the run game on the 1 yard line then any of our TE, i would be really dishearted if ngata lines up and then just stand and let the defender get in the backfield because he feels he should not be out there blocking .

im pretty sure everyone here would feel the same if any player shows this mentality and it kind of suprise me that many are giving the guy that signed the richest deal in ravens history a pass lol.

I understand that, and even partially agree. Only reason I don't fully agree is because it's the QB we're talking about here; if Ngata goes down, then that would suck, but we have the depth to replace him adequately. If Flacco goes down because someone thought it's a good idea to put him in the line of fire, well, our season is over

I don't like like gadget plays. End arounds and the like have too much risk for me. I think we use them enough.

I think that the offense this year was slightly more creative than the one under Cameron. I really liked when we brought in Tyrod Taylor, and Flacco complaining should not deter the coaching staff from making decisions for the good of the team.

Flacco running routes huh. Can you even identify gadget players. I asked that question. I didn't mention anything about hurting big JOE or putting NGATA at TE. Were the Cowboys afraid to put DEION SANDERS at WR?

Putting Deion out there was a little different.  He was used to playing out there.  It was his job back there in the secondary playing the ball... Corner or WR...  Same difference.

Usually a good game plan is all you need (atleast on a team, that knows what it's doing). Gadget plays are more a sign of desperation, when the team doesn't know how to generate offense anymore (like last season for example). 

I understand that, and even partially agree. Only reason I don't fully agree is because it's the QB we're talking about here; if Ngata goes down, then that would suck, but we have the depth to replace him adequately. If Flacco goes down because someone thought it's a good idea to put him in the line of fire, well, our season is over

i think you are seriously underestamating  ngata though.

he might not be what he once was but  withouth him our linebackers would never be able to make plays.

just watch the sb for instance.

once he got injured the whole scheme changed and they ran all over us.

he is actually stopping oliners from getting to daryl smith.

though QB will always be most important position.

i think you are seriously underestamating  ngata though.

he might not be what he once was but  withouth him our linebackers would never be able to make plays.

just watch the sb for instance.

once he got injured the whole scheme changed and they ran all over us.

he is actually stopping oliners from getting to daryl smith.

though QB will always be most important position.

Yep, I should clarify that when I said 'adequately', I didn't mean anyone else can do what he does, I just meant that the guy(s) who replace him will be decent players. Would be different than going from Flacco to Tyrod/Wenning at QB.

Then again, that may be presumptuous, because I believe that B Williams and Jernigan are going to be very good players, despite neither of them having done anything yet to validate that opinion.

Usually a good game plan is all you need (atleast on a team, that knows what it's doing). Gadget plays are more a sign of desperation, when the team doesn't know how to generate offense anymore (like last season for example). 

Not at all! Remember back in the day when LT was the man over in SD? Their offense was top 5 every year, and they'd still have LT throwing TDs.

But that's more the exception than the rule....the craziest things the best offenses do (other than SD) is the occasional flea flicker or the WR reverse. None of this line your $100M QB up is the slot, direct snap to the RB who does a quadruple reverse with a WR who then does a flea flicker to the QB who then pitches it back to the RB

Not at all! Remember back in the day when LT was the man over in SD? Their offense was top 5 every year, and they'd still have LT throwing TDs.

But that's more the exception than the rule....the craziest things the best offenses do (other than SD) is the occasional flea flicker or the WR reverse. None of this line your $100M QB up is the slot, direct snap to the RB who does a quadruple reverse with a WR who then does a flea flicker to the QB who then pitches it back to the RB

I wouldn't mind seeing more direct snaps to the RB though. The top offenses make good use of that trick, though I don't know if it really classifies as a gadget play.