RavenFan28105

19th ranked defense?

34 posts in this topic

We're still in transition and trying to find an identity, there are questions surrounding defensive end, free safety, slot corner and production from older veterans like Suggs and Ngata.

I just love rankings with a little over 4 months until the season starts.

lol BR is like NFL.com…I'm not saying we're going to be top 10 but we should be way higher than 19. There are several teams ahead of us that I dont think have very good defenses honestly. He seems pretty optimistic about those mediocre NFC north defenses. 

Here's how accurate these rankings are: our offense is currently ranked higher than our defense, and this is supposed to be a reaction to the draft. Did you watch the draft? I'm not one of those who thinks our offense is going to put up less than 12 points/game or anything, but I think it's clear where our strength lies post-draft.

This is pathetic even for Bleacher Report. The explanation doesn't even justify why he put the D at 19. 

He writes, "The Ravens continued to strengthen the middle of their defense during the draft, adding C.J. Mosley in the first and Timmy Jernigan in the second.

Terrence Brooks was a solid pick to pair up with former first-rounder Matt Elam as well, and he should have no problem replacing the departed James Ihedigbo.

The Ravens were No. 12 in defense, according to NFL.com, and didn’t lose much on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.

I expect them to continue to improve towards where they once were."

Evidently, that means that even though we ranked 12th, didn't lose much, and added quality draft picks, our defense will regress.
Edited by The Raven

From now on, whenever some one posts a Bleacher Report article and expects us to treat it with respect, a week's suspension will be issued.

/joking (maybe)

From now on, whenever some one posts a Bleacher Report article and expects us to treat it with respect, a week's suspension will be issued.

/joking (maybe)

I don't get this place sometimes.  Why all of the hatred for stuff like ESPN Firstake and The Bleacher Report to name a few?  Seems like cats in here find a way to hate on everything.  Glad I have and can make up my own mind about things!  Sheeesh!  Smh!  LOL!!

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1

I don't get this place sometimes. Why all of the hatred for stuff like ESPN Firstake and The Bleacher Report to name a few? Seems like cats in here find a way to hate on everything. Glad I have and can make up my own mind about things! Sheeesh! Smh! LOL!!

#Mili

Because they are routinely riddled with crap reporting and uneducated "analysts"?

I don't get this place sometimes.  Why all of the hatred for stuff like ESPN Firstake and The Bleacher Report to name a few?  Seems like cats in here find a way to hate on everything.  Glad I have and can make up my own mind about things!  Sheeesh!  Smh!  LOL!!

#Mili

Because they have low standards, report crap as facts, and start unfounded rumors.

Because they have low standards, report crap as facts, and start unfounded rumors.

And find a way to clog every single sports-related Google search with random fan opinion, lists and rankings with little thought put into them (case in point) and lowest common denominator stuff that doesn't actually teach anyone anything when you get down to it.

With NFL.com at least you can avoid it.

We should issue a challenge for someone to try to find a good bleacher report article

Heck, no. That would give them clicks.

I don't understand why people feel the need to share dumb crap. If the article is bad, why encourage more people to click on it? That's simply rewarding bad behavior.

Heck, no. That would give them clicks.

I don't understand why people feel the need to share dumb crap. If the article is bad, why encourage more people to click on it? That's simply rewarding bad behavior.

Maybe they just publish bad articles for the shock factor and try to get clicks that way?

I have actually seen some good ones once in a while but they are few and far between

I saw this article yesterday...damn, we suck. Maybe we can skip this season and go str8 to the next. Well, on 2nd thought, our offense will be humming on all 3 cylinders. That should be fun to watch. :)

Edited by Bruce_Almty

We should issue a challenge for someone to try to find a good bleacher report article

I actually enjoy reading Michael Schottey and Shehan Peris (the Ravens writer), but for the most part, all their writers are bad

Just because bleacher report ranks us as 19th best doesn't make it so. I guarantee you Harbs and Ozzie aren't breaking a bead of sweat over this news.

Edited by ellicottraven

I would not be surprised at all if the offense Finnishes with a higher ranking than the defense. The improvements there are being severely underrated and immediate while the defensive improvement is being overrated and long term.

I would not be surprised at all if the offense Finnishes with a higher ranking than the defense. The improvements there are being severely underrated and immediate while the defensive improvement is being overrated and long term.

All comes down to trusting Kubiak's system/play calling with our personnel. Also how fast everyone clicks together. I think we have the right guys, I'm more concerned about the chemistry.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low for the defense. We have a lot of young guys who will be playing huge roles. I think we have the talent to finish pretty high though. It's hard to not be excited about them.

Edited by Gordo52

From now on, any time anyone quotes NFL.com, bleacher report, or PFF, it should come with a disclaimer indicating that their sources display gross incompetence or bias.

From now on, any time anyone quotes NFL.com, bleacher report, or PFF, it should come with a disclaimer indicating that their sources display gross incompetence or bias.

You forgot PFT and FBO

It's entertainment for people who like to read but opinion in print means little. It's just like talk, cheap! Hopefully, no one accepted the article as fact.

Somewhere in that ballpark. Certainly not an elite defense, we should be suspect at Safety and that's enough to rank us somewhere between 15-20.

However the real problem would appear to be keeping Flacco upright and the other Offensive problems.

I know it's Bleacher report and all, but they have us ranked as the 19th ranked defense. I can see us in the top 10 honestly. What are your thoughts where we will rank?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2065618-power-ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-post-draft/page/15

Somewhere in that ballpark. Certainly not an elite defense, we should be suspect at Safety and that's enough to rank us somewhere between 15-20.

However the real problem would appear to be keeping Flacco upright and the other Offensive problems.

We're not suspect at strong safety. And we have one of the best CB tandems in the secondary to go along with it. How does not being sure if our 3rd round rookie will start or play well at free safety mean we can't have an above average defense? 

We're not suspect at strong safety. And we have one of the best CB tandems in the secondary to go along with it. How does not being sure if our 3rd round rookie will start or play well at free safety mean we can't have an above average defense? 

Firstly, Matt Elam is a disaster.  If one doesn't recognize it yet, it will become clear in 2014. 

Decided to peruse the current roster as it applies to safeties, in case I'd missed something.  (I didn't) 

The safety problems we had last year will be exacerbated this year, granting our corner play is more than adequate, but that's not the issue.

I'm not exactly sure. If the running game is back to where it used to be, then I could see our offense in the top 10. However, I have a lingering feeling that this is going to be a top 10 defense as well. But with how we tend to perform, I think we'll be just outside the top 10 in offense, regardless of the run game. I feel confident about my stance on the defense though.

Firstly, Matt Elam is a disaster.  If one doesn't recognize it yet, it will become clear in 2014. 

Decided to peruse the current roster as it applies to safeties, in case I'd missed something.  (I didn't) 

The safety problems we had last year will be exacerbated this year, granting our corner play is more than adequate, but that's not the issue.

Elam is a disaster? Really, man? After one season where he played out of position due to Ihedigbo tearing it up over at strong safety? Elam played decently at free safety, but we all know he's just not that type of coverage lone high safety. Watch when he dropped down into the box and got to play around the line, he was phenomenal. His switch over to strong safety is going to let him put his natural skill set to use full time. He's going to shine, and really open eyes this year. Let's be honest here, we were starting two strong safeties last year. 
Edited by AwakenTheDemon

we all know no on likes to pick the ravens to do well. we are the team everyone underestimates. since joe flacco and john harbaugh came to town everyone picks against the ravens. ive come to accept this fact and welcome the underdog persona. i dont even read anything that has to do with the ravens on espn, nfl or BR because they all have something negative in them.