Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edreedfromtheu

Torrey Smith / Andre Johnson Value?

245 posts in this topic

It's been debated whether or not Torrey Smith is an "elite" receiver.

I don't like to call guys "number 1s" or "number 2s" etc. 

But... for the sake of argument, I have a hypothetical for you:

Texans aren't going to compete this year, and Andre Johnson has earned the right to request a trade to a contender.

Do you trade Torrey Smith(and perhaps a mid-to-late round pick) for Andre Johnson?

I assume we all agree Andre Johnson is a upper-echelon receiver.  He probably only has 2-3 more good years left.  Meanwhile Torrey Smith is young and already has chemistry with Flacco.

Do you trade long-term security, for a chance at another title this year or next?  Torrey will eventually want to get paid.  He's still on his rookie deal.  Andre Johnson also already knows Kubiak's offense.  He blocks well(even though Torrey isn't horrible at it), which will help in the running game.

This isn't really for those who believe Torrey is a great receiver... it's more for those who have questioned whether he's that talented.  Those who feel he's really only a deep-threat guy.  Obviously if you already feel Torrey Smith is a great all-around receiver, then you're not going to sacrifice the next 7 years for the next 2.

Trade a guy who is still improving and yet to hit his prime for an expensive WR in decline? I think the answer is obvious.

Andre Johnson makes Torrey Smith look like Yamon Figurs, so I make that deal in a heart beat.  Let someone else be holding the bag when Torrey's speed goes and he becomes completely ineffective.

And just to clarify, I am one of those guys who consider Torrey a "#2", whatever that means

Andre Johnson's contract info - 

Cap Hit          Dead Money

12,144,583           11,964,166

16,144,583           7,319,583

14,675,000           2,675,000

I'll take what Torrey gives us and the player's we'd have to cut to make this work

I think you should clarify though, is the trade a straight up player for player? I'm not sure HOU would go for it.

No, give Sacco an NFL line and he has proven he can get the ball where it needs to be. Unless Andre can play RT he is useless without blockers.

Not a great sample size for Torrey but he averages more touchdowns per year.

Andre averages like twice the catches per year. Also it's not his fault Houston always runs the ball goal to go.

I think I deal could be struck without giving up Torrey. Someone like McPhee and a draft pick maybe. We'd have to sign him for multiple years to make a contract work. It would take done magic, but we haven't fleeced the texans this year. They're due.

It's been debated whether or not Torrey Smith is an "elite" receiver.

I don't like to call guys "number 1s" or "number 2s" etc. 

But... for the sake of argument, I have a hypothetical for you:

Texans aren't going to compete this year, and Andre Johnson has earned the right to request a trade to a contender.

Do you trade Torrey Smith(and perhaps a mid-to-late round pick) for Andre Johnson?

I assume we all agree Andre Johnson is a upper-echelon receiver.  He probably only has 2-3 more good years left.  Meanwhile Torrey Smith is young and already has chemistry with Flacco.

Do you trade long-term security, for a chance at another title this year or next?  Torrey will eventually want to get paid.  He's still on his rookie deal.  Andre Johnson also already knows Kubiak's offense.  He blocks well(even though Torrey isn't horrible at it), which will help in the running game.

This isn't really for those who believe Torrey is a great receiver... it's more for those who have questioned whether he's that talented.  Those who feel he's really only a deep-threat guy.  Obviously if you already feel Torrey Smith is a great all-around receiver, then you're not going to sacrifice the next 7 years for the next 2.

Just completely read this. No.  I would never trade Torrey now for Andre Johnson now. Look at what Stevie Johnson, he is in his prime and is a #1 receiver. He went for a 4th. Boldin went for a 6th. With his cap hit, Andre would be a 5th or lower for us.

No Andre Johnson is on the decline and would be too much of a cap hit. Plus you got to factor in locker room and player chemistry.

Andre Johnson coming off of a season where he caught 109 balls for 1400+ yards is on the decline? Some of ya'll crack me up.

Andre Johnson coming off of a season where he caught 109 balls for 1400+ yards is on the decline? Some of ya'll crack me up.

He's also 32, torrey is 25.

He's also 32, torrey is 25.

It doesn't mean he is declining.

Torrey is also a FA with no guarantee he'll be back next year.

I'd be interested in trying to get Andre Johnson, but we need that extra money to sign a veteran during camp incase a major injury happens. If Jimmy Smith or Ladarius Webb go down were not looking good at all in our secondary. I like Brooks and Elam, but both those guys are young and inexperienced. Our next CB up is Asa/Chykie and that is not something I want to deal with. 

Not to mention if one of our other players go down. We just signed Steve Smith for 3 years and were committed to him and the group we have now. Don't see it happening honestly. 

It doesn't mean he is declining.

Torrey is also a FA with no guarantee he'll be back next year.

Not really a fan of having our #1 and #2 being 32 and 35. Those guys are declining faster than we know it and Andre has dealt with nagging hamstring injuries his entire career. 

The funny part is Andre would be a huge upgrade. Yet when Andre and Jacoby were the Texans' 1 and 2 in 2011, they still felt receiver was their top need. 

Not really a fan of having our #1 and #2 being 32 and 35. Those guys are declining faster than we know it and Andre has dealt with nagging hamstring injuries his entire career.

we probably still wouldn't draft a wr

He's been pretty healthy as of late. It's not ideal to have older WRs, but I will take the talent over youth any day of the week.

As fly pointed out, Andre Johnson is already passed his prime, and probably doesn't have more than two 1,000 yard seasons left. Andre would definitely be the immediate upgrade, but Torrey is better long term. It's an interesting idea, but I  wouldn't make the trade.

As fly pointed out, Andre Johnson is already passed his prime, and probably doesn't have more than two 1,000 yard seasons left. Andre would definitely be the immediate upgrade, but Torrey is better long term. It's an interesting idea, but I wouldn't make the trade.

I wouldn't say past his prime, but hes going to be 33 this year, he will start declining any day now

Andre averages like twice the catches per year. Also it's not his fault Houston always runs the ball goal to go.

83 to 55, not really double. We're also a zone run first offense.

83 to 55, not really double. We're also a zone run first offense.

What kind of offense you think Andre has been playing in lol

He's been pretty healthy as of late. It's not ideal to have older WRs, but I will take the talent over youth any day of the week.

I just don't want to take that chance. Both of our guys would be old and you have to think how much chemistry Joe already has with Torrey. There's a lot more than that has to be taken into account then just shipping Torrey for Andre or trying to pursue Andre and not resigning Smith. 

At this point in time I'd take Torrey over Andre any day because Torrey has remained healthy and he's such a good guy in the community. He's definitely one of my favorite players and I think a lot of fans would be upset if we traded or didn't resign him. Major slap in the face to Torrey and I don't want to be the organization that does things like that. It just isn't professional and fair to the players. 

I just don't want to take that chance. Both of our guys would be old and you have to think how much chemistry Joe already has with Torrey. There's a lot more than that has to be taken into account then just shipping Torrey for Andre or trying to pursue Andre and not resigning Smith.

At this point in time I'd take Torrey over Andre any day because Torrey has remained healthy and he's such a good guy in the community. He's definitely one of my favorite players and I think a lot of fans would be upset if we traded or didn't resign him. Major slap in the face to Torrey and I don't want to be the organization that does things like that. It just isn't professional and fair to the players.

yeah, I mean Torrey will probably never be as good as AJ, but when you consider the salaries, AJs age and the other intangibles, it is a bad trade I think

What kind of offense you think Andre has been playing in lol

Scoring has always been the knock on Johnson, and you pointed the finger at the Texans offensive system but what that tells us is that he won't improve his numbers in our system, especially as he ages.

yeah, I mean Torrey will probably never be as good as AJ, but when you consider the salaries, AJs age and the other intangibles, it is a bad trade I think

Very lopsided. It would be completely different if we sent a draft pick for him, but even then I doubt we would do that. We've used quite a few picks already in next year's draft and we all know how Ozzie love's his draft picks. Wouldn't make Steve Smith happy either and I don't want to see an angry Steve Smith in the Ravens locker room. 

I wonder who he might possibly be traded too though. Has to be a team that has some cap space and is a playoff caliber team. 

Torrey under the new coaches should develop very well, Andre has nowhere to go but down in value at this point. Not a fan