244 replies to this topic

#1 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

It's been debated whether or not Torrey Smith is an "elite" receiver.

I don't like to call guys "number 1s" or "number 2s" etc. 

But... for the sake of argument, I have a hypothetical for you:

Texans aren't going to compete this year, and Andre Johnson has earned the right to request a trade to a contender.

Do you trade Torrey Smith(and perhaps a mid-to-late round pick) for Andre Johnson?

I assume we all agree Andre Johnson is a upper-echelon receiver.  He probably only has 2-3 more good years left.  Meanwhile Torrey Smith is young and already has chemistry with Flacco.

Do you trade long-term security, for a chance at another title this year or next?  Torrey will eventually want to get paid.  He's still on his rookie deal.  Andre Johnson also already knows Kubiak's offense.  He blocks well(even though Torrey isn't horrible at it), which will help in the running game.

This isn't really for those who believe Torrey is a great receiver... it's more for those who have questioned whether he's that talented.  Those who feel he's really only a deep-threat guy.  Obviously if you already feel Torrey Smith is a great all-around receiver, then you're not going to sacrifice the next 7 years for the next 2.

#2 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

I would, although I'm not sure if Andre's salary works under the cap.

@gabefergy

#3 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

Trade a guy who is still improving and yet to hit his prime for an expensive WR in decline? I think the answer is obvious.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#4 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

Andre Johnson makes Torrey Smith look like Yamon Figurs, so I make that deal in a heart beat.  Let someone else be holding the bag when Torrey's speed goes and he becomes completely ineffective.

#5 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

And just to clarify, I am one of those guys who consider Torrey a "#2", whatever that means
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#6 jb22

jb22

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

Andre Johnson's contract info - 

Cap Hit          Dead Money

12,144,583           11,964,166

16,144,583           7,319,583

14,675,000           2,675,000

I'll take what Torrey gives us and the player's we'd have to cut to make this work

Edited by jb22, 13 May 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#7 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

I think you should clarify though, is the trade a straight up player for player? I'm not sure HOU would go for it.

#8 Drew P

Drew P

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

No, give Sacco an NFL line and he has proven he can get the ball where it needs to be. Unless Andre can play RT he is useless without blockers.

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Not a great sample size for Torrey but he averages more touchdowns per year.

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

Not a great sample size for Torrey but he averages more touchdowns per year.

Andre averages like twice the catches per year. Also it's not his fault Houston always runs the ball goal to go.

@gabefergy

#11 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think I deal could be struck without giving up Torrey. Someone like McPhee and a draft pick maybe. We'd have to sign him for multiple years to make a contract work. It would take done magic, but we haven't fleeced the texans this year. They're due.

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#12 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

It's been debated whether or not Torrey Smith is an "elite" receiver.

I don't like to call guys "number 1s" or "number 2s" etc. 

But... for the sake of argument, I have a hypothetical for you:

Texans aren't going to compete this year, and Andre Johnson has earned the right to request a trade to a contender.

Do you trade Torrey Smith(and perhaps a mid-to-late round pick) for Andre Johnson?

I assume we all agree Andre Johnson is a upper-echelon receiver.  He probably only has 2-3 more good years left.  Meanwhile Torrey Smith is young and already has chemistry with Flacco.

Do you trade long-term security, for a chance at another title this year or next?  Torrey will eventually want to get paid.  He's still on his rookie deal.  Andre Johnson also already knows Kubiak's offense.  He blocks well(even though Torrey isn't horrible at it), which will help in the running game.

This isn't really for those who believe Torrey is a great receiver... it's more for those who have questioned whether he's that talented.  Those who feel he's really only a deep-threat guy.  Obviously if you already feel Torrey Smith is a great all-around receiver, then you're not going to sacrifice the next 7 years for the next 2.

Just completely read this. No.  I would never trade Torrey now for Andre Johnson now. Look at what Stevie Johnson, he is in his prime and is a #1 receiver. He went for a 4th. Boldin went for a 6th. With his cap hit, Andre would be a 5th or lower for us.

Edited by ravensnick, 13 May 2014 - 05:16 PM.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#13 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

No Andre Johnson is on the decline and would be too much of a cap hit. Plus you got to factor in locker room and player chemistry.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Andre Johnson coming off of a season where he caught 109 balls for 1400+ yards is on the decline? Some of ya'll crack me up.

@gabefergy

#15 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Andre Johnson coming off of a season where he caught 109 balls for 1400+ yards is on the decline? Some of ya'll crack me up.

He's also 32, torrey is 25.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#16 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

He's also 32, torrey is 25.

It doesn't mean he is declining.

Torrey is also a FA with no guarantee he'll be back next year.

@gabefergy

#17 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'd be interested in trying to get Andre Johnson, but we need that extra money to sign a veteran during camp incase a major injury happens. If Jimmy Smith or Ladarius Webb go down were not looking good at all in our secondary. I like Brooks and Elam, but both those guys are young and inexperienced. Our next CB up is Asa/Chykie and that is not something I want to deal with. 

Not to mention if one of our other players go down. We just signed Steve Smith for 3 years and were committed to him and the group we have now. Don't see it happening honestly. 

#18 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

It doesn't mean he is declining.

Torrey is also a FA with no guarantee he'll be back next year.

Not really a fan of having our #1 and #2 being 32 and 35. Those guys are declining faster than we know it and Andre has dealt with nagging hamstring injuries his entire career. 

#19 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

The funny part is Andre would be a huge upgrade. Yet when Andre and Jacoby were the Texans' 1 and 2 in 2011, they still felt receiver was their top need. 

#20 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

Not really a fan of having our #1 and #2 being 32 and 35. Those guys are declining faster than we know it and Andre has dealt with nagging hamstring injuries his entire career.

we probably still wouldn't draft a wr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users