37 replies to this topic

#1 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

PERNELL MCPHEE/ JOHN SIMON/ courtney Upshaw/Deangelo Tyson/ LEWIS-MOORE  KAPRONE

Where do they fit in? McPhee been there awahile now first at De now at LB i think he showd move back to DE and compete with CANTY.  Upshaw as well i think he can compete with canty at DE..We have depth and youth but the reality is Suggs is not coming off the field so when and where do they fit? A we just training them just to have another team give them an opportunity while we watch them have success for another team?

Edited by YashaYahu1, 12 May 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#2 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Actually I think most of those players will be in rotation. Hopefully John Simon shows improvement so he can get some playing time too. I'm a big fan. He's a hard worker with a great motor. I think he'll be a great player for Baltimore some day.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#3 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Are you going to make a thread like this for every positional group?

Where they fit will depend on what base defense the Ravens run. Upshaw is the starter at OLB in the 3-4 or starting DE in the 4-3. Tyson will be a solid role player in the 3-4 as a DE, or a DT in the 4-3. I think you'll see KPLM rotated in at DE in either defense to help prepare for a defense without Canty and Ngata. Simon will likely have to earn his role and position on the team as a special teams player

#4 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Where they fit will depend on what base defense the Ravens run. Upshaw is the starter at OLB in the 3-4 or starting DE in the 4-3.

yeah but you are leaving out dumerville...he is the starting olb not Upshaw...so that has taken alot of snaps away from Upshaw. So if he is barley getting on the field that mean even less snaps for the others..espesially  McPhee who i really like.

#5 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm hoping Lewis Moore and Jernigan show up big this year in the snaps they are given.

This is an important phase in our defense and maintaining it as the strength of our team. I love CJ mosley and the only worry I have is his durability. As a football player he is awesome. Don't compare him to rolando mclain (like some steeler fans are doing) who never had mosleys instincts in college. He was merely a thumper because of his excellent size. Mosely is  a superior player

#6 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

yeah but you are leaving out dumerville...he is the starting olb not Upshaw...so that has taken alot of snaps away from Upshaw. So if he is barley getting on the field that mean even less snaps for the others..espesially  McPhee who i really like.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Upshaw is the starter and played about an equal number of snaps as Dumervil. Upshaw is a far superior run defender than Elvis (who was the fourth worst run defender in Denver. That meant there were defensive backs who were better run stoppers than him.) So, Upshaw is the starter to handle the run and Dumervil acts as the pass rusher

#7 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Let's hope Courtney Upshaw is in good shape this training camp! We have yet to see the best of him!

#8 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

thats whats killing me...why havn't anyone commented on how he looks? That's something that needs to be reports as much has it was how much weight  Ray rice lost...I want to know if Upshaw looks slimmer ??

#9 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

thats whats killing me...why havn't anyone commented on how he looks? That's something that needs to be reports as much has it was how much weight  Ray rice lost...I want to know if Upshaw looks slimmer ??

Sometimes a report of nothing is a good thing.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#10 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

i agree....hopfully we are right an its not a repeat of last year.

#11 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

PERNELL MCPHEE/ JOHN SIMON/ courtney Upshaw/Deangelo Tyson/ LEWIS-MOORE  KAPRONE

Where do they fit in? McPhee been there awahile now first at De now at LB i think he showd move back to DE and compete with CANTY.  Upshaw as well i think he can compete with canty at DE..We have depth and youth but the reality is Suggs is not coming off the field so when and where do they fit? A we just training them just to have another team give them an opportunity while we watch them have success for another team?

Take Moore and Tyson out. They don't fit in the size/assignment of the others. Simon/McPhee/Upshaw are all 3-4 OLBs, 4-3 DEs. Tyson/Moore are 3-4 DEs/4-3 DT, they couldn't play OLB for their life.

Edited by ravensnick, 26 May 2014 - 01:47 PM.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#12 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

He was at the M&T draft party.  I stood right next to him.  He looked slim off the hoof.  certainly didnt look out of shape.  

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#13 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

I think the pool of players is as follows (3-4 base):

OLB - Suggs & Upshaw Starters. Elvis & Mcphee as pass rushing rotation. Simon probably will not see the field much.

DE -  Canty will probably begin the season as the starter. I am predicting KLM to take his spot by end of season. Rotation of Tyson and possibly Urban. You may also see Jernigan in at DE in larger packages on early downs.

#14 dizzy D

dizzy D

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

I agree that McPhee should move back primarily to DL to compete with Canty. He seems to have a bigger impact disrupting in tighter spaces as opposed to open space like an OLB. He has been productive, in his limited snaps going back to his rookie season, at getting after the QB so why worry about dropping back in coverage when we should be conditioning him to focus on his pass rush. McPhee is younger and has more upside than Canty, he should be motivated in his contract year too!!

#15 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

McPhee should put on another 10 pounds or so and become a full time DE. He could be Anthony Weaver like in terms of their playing style / size. He lacks the speed, agility, quickness to be an effective pass rushing LB. Unless he loses another 20 pounds or so.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#16 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

McPhee should put on another 10 pounds or so and become a full time DE. He could be Anthony Weaver like in terms of their playing style / size. He lacks the speed, agility, quickness to be an effective pass rushing LB. Unless he loses another 20 pounds or so.

See his 2012 season where he tried that and his production dropped.

#17 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

McPhee won't be moving back to DE.  He's sitting at 270ish right now.  Putting on weight only puts him at 280, nowhere near big enough to survive in the 3-4.  The reason he dropped weight in the first place is because his knees couldn't handle the constant beating in the trenches.  He'll stay at OLB in the 3-4 and rotate in on the DL in nickel situations.  The move to OLB was necessary to preserve his health.

#18 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

See his 2012 season where he tried that and his production dropped.

What was his weight in 2012?

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

What was his weight in 2012?

Roughly 285-295. 

#20 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Roughly 285-295. 

Well that's a pretty big gap if you go by guessing. He could have also been anywhere from 280-300 lbs. ;)

His listed weight is 280 right now and he didn't play all that well last season in hybrid DE/LB role either. He doesn't have the quickness to be an effective blitzing LB so I see him more of an every down lineman if he gains another 10-20 pounds.

Edited by Bullrush, 08 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users