32 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Been awhile since I've done one of these.

1. I/we need to stop raging.

Yes, it was one of Ozzie's worst need draft ever. Let's get that out of the way...... But we need to calm ourselves. We have a fanbase that is quicker to overreact than my mother. Ozzie isn't going anywhere... At all. We need to stop calling for his head. 

Fact of the matter is, we were a running game away from being a playoff team. We got players that can contribute there. 

2. But we have every tight to be mad about one thing.

NO WR? REALLY? Ok, Camp will be a long time starter in my humble opinion. I had a fifth round grade on him, and he was only that low because he is strictly a slot WR. 

As we stand, we have 2 needs. Slot CB(easy to find), and WR #1. 

Well. We don't have either.

3. Yes. We did improve the offense

Did y'all forget the entire first half of the offseason? Sure, I'm mad about a lack of a WR. But we got some solid pieces. We got Smith, Daniels, Zuttah, and I wouldn't be suprised if we look at another veteran or get Winston. We got back Monroe, and Pitta. We set ourselves up for signing Torrey to a long term deal. 

The offense should go from being god awful, to serviceable. Which is ok. Even as crappy as our offense was, WE STILL ALMOST MADE THE PLAYOFFS. 

4. Defensive Additions were necessary. 

Our running defense was piss poor last year.... Let's face it, I was screaming vs the packers. And then this just pissed me off

TobyGerhartTDRun.gif

Yeah, snow or not, we needed those run stuffing DTs. We made Gerhart look like a STAR there. Something he's not. 

Some argue it was Pees. It is partially his fault. But I think we needed a talent boost as well. I mean, look at the damn play, he had a wide open hole. That's not gonna happen anymore.

And if you can stop the run, you can also stop the pass(see it goes both ways). It helps out with the deep ball. Part of the reason why the Lions were owning us until we made them respect the run. 

Now, that being said, we could've used another pass rusher. 

But look at it this way. We have our defense anchored for YEARS now. That's important. 

The past three years have given us

Elam

Brooks

Jernigan

Williams

Urban

Simon(as a situational pass rusher).

Brown

Mosley

Throw in guys like Webb(who after a full year healthy should return to form), Jimmy, Suggs, Doom, Ngata, Dayrl. 

We just got deadly here. We should have an elite starting unit with some decent depth. Especially if we move to a 4-3. Our weakest position being the two safeties. And Elam in the box should thrive. 

5. Explaining the Crockett Gilmore pick over other WRs/TEs

I understand the Gilmore pick. 

To go in depth, he's the anti-Dickson. Not a great athlete with good hands, and is a great blocker. So, for the next few seasons, he will be relied on as the TE #2. 

But why in the third?

Simple, it was a reach. It was, no other way to spell it. 

But  Daniels never makes it through a full season, and Crockett is well, reliable. Kubiak loves his TEs, and knows how to use them. He can use them all very effectively. Meaning, Crockett will be groomed by two very good TE's, and a man who knows what he's doing. Meaning, if you actually look at it, it's a decent pick. (Oh, and Mayock was raving about it btw). 

6. John Urschel is potentially a steal.

A genius. FINALLY!  We needed one of these.Athletically, he's limited, but he does fit our scheme very well. He's much needed depth, considering back problems don't go away. 

7. The Future Of Justin Blackmon/What WR would you be interested in getting that is remaining. 

We take Jacksonville players now?

They drafted two WRs in the second round.. Now, Blackmon, as dumb as he is, might be getting cut. But the thing is he's a good player.. We'd never pounce, but I do want everyone's opinion of him. I'd like a guy like him, he's talented.(we are not getting him. Ozzie would never do that). 

I only ask because we need a WR. And there are some decent options out there(Miles Austin even with his injury proneness for example). 

Do you think we could trade for anyone?

Well, that's it for me

Banned

#2 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

7. The Future Of Justin Blackmon/What WR would you be interested in getting that is remaining. 

They drafted two WRs in the second round.. Now, Blackmon, as dumb as he is, might be getting cut. But the thing is he's a good player.. We'd never pounce, but I do want everyone's opinion of him. I'd like a guy like him, he's talented.(we are not getting him. Ozzie would never do that). 

I only ask because we need a WR. And there are some decent options out there(Miles Austin even with his injury proneness for example). 

Well, that's it for me

Agreed on almost everything. i think Gilmore was higher on the NFL team's draft boards than ours (maybe for a good reason). I do like what he offers. I would love to get Blackmon if he is cut by the Jags, same with Gordon by the brown (even more unlikely however). Talented and has had proven success, but a true knucklehead. I wish we had got Stevie Johnson. 4th rounder is nothing for a player who has a top 15 wr two years ago and excels at route running (with limited physical skills). 

Edited by ravensnick, 11 May 2014 - 09:09 PM.

God, Glory, and Texas Football

Hook 'em Horns

#3 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Yes, it was one of Ozzie's worst need draft ever. Let's get that out of the way...... But we need to calm ourselves. We have a fanbase that is quicker to overreact than my mother. Ozzie isn't going anywhere... At all. We need to stop calling for his head. 

Not really... who knows how everyone will turnout, its way too early to concede this Ozzie's worst draft ever. And if what you wrote was worst "need" draft as in we neglected positions of need...since when does Ozzie NOT draft the best player available? He needs to get that tattooed on his face so people remember thats how he does his drafts. He always takes the top player on his board and I guess their werent any WRs or OTs that he really liked.

I think Ozzie did a fine job...defense wins championships and when Ozzie does finally calls it a career people will remember him for the championship defenses he create, not the championship offenses. On paper we are going to have an excellent defensive line with a stacked rotation, fierce pass rush, and overall dominant look and feel to it. And thats always how our team has been.

Fans just got real mad because they don't know how Ozzie works. Right when we signed Steve Smith it should have been a clear and present FACT that Ozzie wouldn't draft a WR until the mid to late rounds, but 99% of them felt Ozzie would still use an early pick on a WR. When you sign an all pro who is still in great health and is a workaholic in the gym to a 3 year contract its not worth over indulging on someone who will not get much use in year one anyway. Fans just wanted to see us draft a WR and it seemed like every time we passed on one more and more of t"the haters" came out. If we would have drafted a WR with the 2nd or 3rd round pick everyone would be happy. But again...Ozzie knows we got the Smiths holding it down with Marlon...and Jacoby, Mellette and now Campanero on the wings too.

Cj Mosley could rack  up 100 tackles, Jernigan and Brandon Williams will forge a great NT rotation, and Terrence Brooks could be a solid starter at FS  too.  Maybe Im the only one....but Im definitely satisfied with this draft. 

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#4 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

I don't think we need a WR, and I made a thread myself about how little we've spent on offense (this prior to the mostly defense draft we just had). What we need is an offense that doesn't tip their plays, have the worst O-line and run game in the league, and have subpar receivers all at once. 

I'm glad we solidified the defense. Drafting to fill holes is kinda stupid. Purely average teams are useless. Every good team excels at something. We should excel at stopping the run and passing efficiently.

One thing though - why would we want a receiver who's getting cut for being boneheaded? When has bringing in someone who was cut for legal issues ever worked out?

#5 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

And another note....who on gods green earth would want Justin Blackmon? I wouldnt even take Josh Gordon if the Browns offered him to us and payed his salary at the same time...chance after chance after chance and they still never learn. Some people never get it and Blackmon and Gordon DO NOT.

#6 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Not really... who knows how everyone will turnout, its way too early to concede this Ozzie's worst draft ever. And if what you wrote was worst "need" draft as in we neglected positions of need...since when does Ozzie NOT draft the best player available? He needs to get that tattooed on his face so people remember thats how he does his drafts. He always takes the top player on his board and I guess their werent any WRs or OTs that he really liked.

I think Ozzie did a fine job...defense wins championships and when Ozzie does finally calls it a career people will remember him for the championship defenses he create, not the championship offenses. On paper we are going to have an excellent defensive line with a stacked rotation, fierce pass rush, and overall dominant look and feel to it. And thats always how our team has been.

Fans just got real mad because they don't know how Ozzie works. Right when we signed Steve Smith it should have been a clear and present FACT that Ozzie wouldn't draft a WR until the mid to late rounds, but 99% of them felt Ozzie would still use an early pick on a WR. When you sign an all pro who is still in great health and is a workaholic in the gym to a 3 year contract its not worth over indulging on someone who will not get much use in year one anyway. Fans just wanted to see us draft a WR and it seemed like every time we passed on one more and more of t"the haters" came out. If we would have drafted a WR with the 2nd or 3rd round pick everyone would be happy. But again...Ozzie knows we got the Smiths holding it down with Marlon...and Jacoby, Mellette and now Campanero on the wings too.

Cj Mosley could rack  up 100 tackles, Jernigan and Brandon Williams will forge a great NT rotation, and Terrence Brooks could be a solid starter at FS  too.  Maybe Im the only one....but Im definitely satisfied with this draft. 

He said worst"need" draft. We got good player, but they didn't fit needs.

Hook 'em Horns

#7 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

And another note....who on gods green earth would want Justin Blackmon? I wouldnt even take Josh Gordon if the Browns offered him to us and payed his salary at the same time...chance after chance after chance and they still never learn. Some people never get it and Blackmon and Gordon DO NOT.

Gordon was an All-Pro, Blackmon has played very well. 

Hook 'em Horns

#8 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yes, it was one of Ozzie's worst need draft ever.

NO WR? REALLY? Ok, Camp will be a long time starter in my humble opinion. I had a fifth round grade on him, and he was only that low because he is strictly a slot WR. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at another veteran or get Winston.

4. Defensive Additions were necessary. 

Our running defense was piss poor last year.... Let's face it, I was screaming vs the packers. And then this just pissed me off

Yeah, snow or not, we needed those run stuffing DTs. We made Gerhart look like a STAR there. Something he's not.

Now, that being said, we could've used another pass rusher. 

We have our defense anchored for YEARS now.

The past three years have given us

But  Daniels never makes it through a full season, and Crockett is well, reliable. Kubiak loves his TEs, and knows how to use them.  Meaning, Crockett will be groomed by two very good TE's, and a man who knows what he's doing.

6. John Urschel is potentially a steal.

A genius. FINALLY!  We needed one of these.Athletically, he's limited, but he does fit our scheme very well. He's much needed depth, considering back problems don't go away. 

Let me talk about this, because I disagree with some of your comments. It was not Ozzie's worst "need" draft ever. We needed to stop the run! Desperately. We did that. We got a MLB in Mosley who has the potential to be as good as Luke Kuechly. Had we drafted him in 2013, it would've been a steal. Mosley didn't declare. Bottom-line. Jernigan is a very good DT that can stop the run and has pass rush potential--a younger Ngata. He's not as athletically gifted as Ngata, but he's still very good as a prospect and was a dominant defender. Reminds me some of Star Lotulelei. Brooks was a phenomenal pick and a future FS lock. Gilmore is a blocking TE we needed (I like him better than Lynch; wasn't sold on him as I looked into him more). Urban is a great DT and he offers something as a pass rusher. Urschel has Chris Myers potential. Lorenzo can actually pass protect, which we needed (as I said many times in the Draft forum). This was a killer draft. I'm only disappointed we lost out on Desir, Lee and Beckham, but we had no chance at Beckham and Lee went before we could get him (still would've traded up for him...) and Desir I don't get at all.

I don't see us signing Winston. I think we're very happy with our OL competition. Unless someone gets cut, I expect us to move with the status quo. I agree we needed to fix our run defense. It was a reason why our LBs struggled to stop the run. Those DTs weren't playing great (Ngata, Canty!) against the run and seemingly got tired or something in pass rush. I don't think our defense is anchored for years, but we have many good pieces in place. We will likely look at pass rushers next year, because we're a bit loaded right now. I expect us to move McPhee to 4-3 DE so we can increase his FA market and let him go next year. Just my opinion. Upshaw could be a Bennett type of player for us with a nice DL, so he could improve. We still need LB and CB depth. We really need a #3 CB, but maybe we have it in Brown or Jackson. I'm guessing we'll let the young guys compete against some veteran we sign for the job. Then draft a CB next year.

I don't think Gilmore was a reach because perhaps we really felt he wouldn't make it to our next pick. In that regard, it wasn't necessarily a reach. I'm not fond of it, but just giving my insight.

Urschel isn't limited athletically. He moves his feet very well. If anything, he's not exceptionally strong but he is absolutely athletic. He's super smart as well. I really think he has Chris Myers potential. Going to keep shouting that until I'm proven right or wrong. He has great height and weight combo at 6'3" and 300lbs +.

I'd sign Blackmon. Even trade a 7th round pick for him. :)

Edited by GrimCoconut, 11 May 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#9 akacrow

akacrow

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

Sock puppets...

#10 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Love all the things you pointed out, but this was not at all a bad draft. It's much too soon to say that. I thought that it was a good draft, our defense should be great. If our offense is horrible and our picks aren't contributors, then it'd be horrible. I think each guy we drafted was a good pick, even the Gilmore one. My favorite pick was FS Brooks, he will be a starter soon enough and a huge contributor on the defense this season. In my opinion we did enough to eliminate an immediate need at WR, and Campanaro should be a good addition. I do wish we could have pick an OL, but I like what we walked away with from the draft. I have no idea what the line will look like. Zuttah could move to guard, Urschel could play center, Wagner could start at RT, who knows. The battles for the OL positions will be good to watch in the preseason.

Urschel and Campanaro look to be steals. I said in another thread that Urschel could be a developmental guy meant to replace Yanda if we can't retain him. Campanaro reminds me of Welker and could be good slot guy for us for years to come.

I think if we were to get Blackmon we could really turn him around. Perhaps a change in scenery is what he needs. If he's cut I'm hoping the Ravens jump on him.

Edited by radicals, 11 May 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

Fact of the matter is, we were a running game away from being a playoff team. We got players that can contribute there

To go in depth, he's the anti-Dickson. Not a great athlete with good hands, and is a great blocker. So, for the next few seasons, he will be relied on as the TE #2. 

But why in the third?

But  Daniels never makes it through a full season, and Crockett is well, reliable. Kubiak loves his TEs, and knows how to use them. He can use them all very effectively. Meaning, Crockett will be groomed by two very good TE's, and a man who knows what he's doing. Meaning, if you actually look at it, it's a decent pick. (Oh, and Mayock was raving about it btw). 

1. I disagree that this was the worst draft ever. As I keep saying, you fans had this crazy idea in your mind of how the draft should turn out, and when it didn't follow your script, it became the worst draft ever. I think it's a very solid draft. The top three picks were all steals for where they went, and everyone else could be a solid role player. I like the draft, and if the Ravens get three starters out of it, it'll be a great draft.

5. I actually don't think it's this huge reach. It's a "reach" because the media put a label on him to be a later round pick, but we have no idea how other teams saw him. I mean, the Jets took Dexter McDougle in the third, so we have no idea how other teams viewed Crockett and Ozzie wanted to get his man with a little over 32 picks before the next Ravens pick. Can't blame him for wanting to secure his man. He was a defensive end first, then a tight end, so that says to me that he can still grow as a player and get better. If he comes in and plays as the number two tight end and plays well, no one will care that he went in the third. It's like Fredrick to Dallas. Most people stopped calling that a reach once they saw he played really well. And I don't hear anything anymore about Kyle Long being a reach.

7. I remember when there were rumors that the Ravens were interested in trading for Blackmon. He's going into his third year now, right? I think the Jags will take a wait and see approach because they're not even sure if he'll play this year, but I would not mind him on the Ravens. He could be a great player for the Ravens. I wouldn't consider Miles Austin because that's an older, injury prone receiver. I doubt we see any trades for a receiver, but hopefully if the Ravens don't get one of Purifoy or Roberson, they pick up the phone and call about a corner.

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

You wouldn't take an All-Pro receiver, for free? Interesting...

#13 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,383 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

I had two problems with this draft - Jared and Abbrederis.  He was there for the taking and we passed on him, and now everyone is going to talk about how great he is with Rodgers throwing to him.  Aside from that, this was a great draft.

#14 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Just about every analyst is giving us an "A grade" or picking us at #1 for our defensive draft; stating that Ozzie has done it again.  I gotta say I agree.  For the past two years we have gotten torched on Defense.  Not so much the secondary as up the middle.  Just watching some of the plays of last year, especially in the 4th quarter, we looked AWFUL...  Couldn't stop an old lady in a wheelchair. (metaphor people).

We made improvements all the way around this year.  I'm not disappointed at all.  If all we did was "not get a CB", then that's pretty darn good.  There is still time to pick one up.

Thanks for the thread!  It's my opinion that I agree with most of what was said.  There was a lot of knee jerk reactions over the weekend.  We need to take a deep breath sometimes and think long-term.  There are reasons some of those guys weren't chosen.....  We might not know what they are off the top, but our F.O. surely knows why they didn't select them.

117hd79.jpg

#15 beanfigger

beanfigger

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Miles Austin is interesting. He seems to pop back up on the big play radar every time we forget about him. I think he might be that guy who goes out and spends all his energy trying to prove everyone wrong yet again. He could absolutely have another three or four game stint where he dominates, and considering we were only one game out of the playoffs and two from the division, we could use something like that.

#16 bravensfan52

bravensfan52

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Living in Jax I say no to blackmon. He has been spoted multiple times in the club drinking he is an alcoholic and is not willing to change
Live life like 52 plays- Bravensfan52

#17 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Living in Jax I say no to blackmon. He has been spoted multiple times in the club drinking he is an alcoholic and is not willing to change

Well, when you lose every week, you're likely to turn to alcohol… In all seriousness, I'd give him a chance.

#18 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

He said worst"need" draft. We got good player, but they didn't fit needs.

Yea and thats why I said...since when does Ozzie draft on needs and not BPA? MAYBE on certain occasions Ozzie might compromise and take a position we need if they are a few spots down from BPA...but as Ozzie said for example in the 2nd round there were not any OT or WRs high enough on his board  to be taken so he just went with the BPA who was Tim Jernigan. 

#19 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,627 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Just about every analyst is giving us an "A grade" or picking us at #1 for our defensive draft; stating that Ozzie has done it again.  I gotta say I agree.  For the past two years we have gotten torched on Defense.  Not so much the secondary as up the middle.  Just watching some of the plays of last year, especially in the 4th quarter, we looked AWFUL...  Couldn't stop an old lady in a wheelchair. (metaphor people).

We made improvements all the way around this year.  I'm not disappointed at all.  If all we did was "not get a CB", then that's pretty darn good.  There is still time to pick one up.

Thanks for the thread!  It's my opinion that I agree with most of what was said.  There was a lot of knee jerk reactions over the weekend.  We need to take a deep breath sometimes and think long-term.  There are reasons some of those guys weren't chosen.....  We might not know what they are off the top, but our F.O. surely knows why they didn't select them.

I am thinking long term. I'm thinking it will be a very long long season with out an O line that can protect Flacco. We learned last season he isn't in fact, made of steel. We also learned we aren't winning any games with our back-up QB.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#20 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

You wouldn't take an All-Pro receiver, for free? Interesting...

At this point its hilarious, Josh Gordon could have been a 3rd rounder maybe earlier in the 2012 draft but obviously his drug problems caused him to fall to the supplemental draft. He had tons of issues in college and even had to transfer from Baylor if Im not mistaken, and then upon getting drafted and put on the no tolerance drug policy, what does he do? Fail a drug test. And now of course he failed ANOTHER one after a pro bowl year where he was on paper the best WR in the NFL. Thats pathetic right there...and no where near "All Pro" status in my book. He is looking more and more like a schmuck and its hilarious that the Browns could have had another 1st or 2nd round pick in this years draft if they would have just traded him last season and some team would be out a pick and have a WR with a 8-16 game ban on their team. 

Yea I wouldn't take Josh Gordon for free.....and you better know damn right Ozzie wont.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users