129 replies to this topic

#1 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

I see so many people here say it's fine we didn't get a top WR in the draft since we got Marlon, and he was a beast this year and will be a great receiver next season.

Why? What do you see in him that I don't? Great, so he got 500 yards and 7 TDs. Since what do 500 yards are a lot? Or even a decent amount?

No to mention I don't recall him having a great hands, nor do I remember him good at using his frame to shield the defender. He's not great with tough or contested catches, and he doesn't break tackles.

Please, help me up here so I, too, can feel better about our receiving corps.

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

He still has some developing to do for sure, but it's good for an undrafted rookie coming off of an ACL tear to do as well as he did.  He's not a finished product.

However, I still wish we would have hit WR early.

#3 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

He got the team a couple of TDs, when the offense was struggling, so most of the fanbase overreacted and blew his play on the field out of proportion to calm their nerves and hold out hope that the Ravens offense wasn't done that season.

I like him personally, but he didn't show enough for me to feel at ease with the WR position on our team.

Edited by PolishRifle, 11 May 2014 - 04:04 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#4 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

I see so many people here say it's fine we didn't get a top WR in the draft since we got Marlon, and he was a beast this year and will be a great receiver next season.

Why? What do you see in him that I don't? Great, so he got 500 yards and 7 TDs. Since what do 500 yards are a lot? Or even a decent amount?

No to mention I don't recall him having a great hands, nor do I remember him good at using his frame to shield the defender. He's not great with tough or contested catches, and he doesn't break tackles.

Well, I'll try to help you out...

The problem is, I saw the exact opposite.  I thought he caught balls when contested very well.  He provided room for error for Flacco, which is something I feel he greatly needs because he doesn't seem to ever deliver the ball on time or on target.  Marlon made up for that with his height, hands, and jumping ability.

In fact, the only thing that I think held him back from posting better numbers was.... Flacco and Harbaugh's tendency to not play the players that are making plays and go with the guys HE likes.  I'm not sure what else LaQuan Williams could do to deserve more playing time.  Any time he was on the field, he made plays.  As for Marlon Brown, and why he didn't get MORE than 500 yards and 7 TDs.... he wasn't on the field as often as most receivers. 

And remember, Brown was also a rookie.   Not onlt first year playing with Flacco... but first year in NFL period.  First year in that offense.  Lot's of changes... and If that's the absolute FLOOR... I'm excited to see what his ceiling is.

What receiver in the draft do you honestly think would outperform Marlon Brown?  Or ANY of our top 4 receivers.  Because THAT'S what I just don't see. 

Do the Ravens have a Calvin Johnson?  No.  There's only one of those.  But how many teams would you honestly consider to have a better top 3 or 4 receivers than the Ravens?  I can't think of many.  I'd be hard pressed to name more than 5.

#5 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

The problem is, I saw the exact opposite. I thought he caught balls when contested very well. He provided room for error for Flacco, which is something I feel he greatly needs because he doesn't seem to ever deliver the ball on time or on target. Marlon made up for that with his height, hands, and jumping ability.

In fact, the only thing that I think held him back from posting better numbers was.... Flacco and Harbaugh's tendency to not play the players that are making plays and go with the guys HE likes. I'm not sure what else LaQuan Williams could do to deserve more playing time. Any time he was on the field, he made plays. As for Marlon Brown, and why he didn't get MORE than 500 yards and 7 TDs.... he wasn't on the field as often as most receivers.

And remember, Brown was also a rookie. Not onlt first year playing with Flacco... but first year in NFL period. First year in that offense. Lot's of changes... and If that's the absolute FLOOR... I'm excited to see what his ceiling is.

What receiver in the draft do you honestly think would outperform Marlon Brown? Or ANY of our top 4 receivers. Because THAT'S what I just don't see.

Do the Ravens have a Calvin Johnson? No. There's only one of those. But how many teams would you honestly consider to have a better top 3 or 4 receivers than the Ravens? I can't think of many. I'd be hard pressed to name more than 5.

About his playing time, IIRC there was an article in this website about a month ago saying he played 80% of the snaps this season and also that his playing time wasn't decreased even when JJ came back.

About the draft, I don't know. I really don't know, but I just don't feel like we can say we gave Joe legit threats except Torrey.

#6 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

He's still got a lot of developing to do. His hands were eh at times, he doesn't show good body control along the sidelines, he still needs to work on that catch radius, he struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder, and he needs to do better with shielding the ball with his massive body. He does well going over the middle when the ball is in front of him and he has shown a little bit of creativity to get some YAC. 

However, the Ravens just brought in Bobby Engram (who had the most productive college receiver duo for a while last year, not sure if they finished that way), they have a new offensive coordinator, and Marlon WAS coming off a torn ACL. He was marred by injuries in college, so it's not like he had developed a ton.

He's going to get better, by a lot. He's not going to be the number two this year, but as a number three, he's excellent.

#7 RavensDE

RavensDE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Marlon is solid but he hasn't dominated. He has a lot of upside but if we really felt he was a legit #2 in the league we wouldn't have resigned Jacoby and signed S.Smith. I love the kid and he will probably be #3 in snaps and more successful than last year but let's stay on moderate ground.

#8 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

He's still got a lot of developing to do. His hands were eh at times, he doesn't show good body control along the sidelines, he still needs to work on that catch radius, he struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder, and he needs to do better with shielding the ball with his massive body. He does well going over the middle when the ball is in front of him and he has shown a little bit of creativity to get some YAC.

I don't know, that last second TD catch against the Vikings was some pretty excellent body control. But I do agree with a lot of what your saying.

My biggest qualm with him is he plays soft at times. You would expect a guy who is 6'5 200+ to be pretty physical and really box guys out with his body as you said, but I don't see him doing that. Whether it means adding some muscle, or just playing tougher in general, I want to see a lot more physicality and aggressiveness out of Marlon.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#9 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

http://www.sportingc...ats/drops/2013/. Drop percentage listed at 3%

http://www.kffl.com/...rown?uyear=2013 targets, second most on team

http://www.nfl.com/p...ituationalstats all 7 tds came in the redzone

Don't really care if the op wants to down play the yards or the 7 tds. Not sure why its down played for brown but
No one would down play it for pitta or when we had boldin.

Bottom line, he's liked because most people see him as a big target, with an ability to go up for the ball and suspect that with
Playing with Steve smith he'd develop the killer instinct that q had which gives us an added chain mover on third down.

If one cannot see how valuable that is to this franchise and how key that was during the sb run then of course they'd create threads just to mock people who are excited to see how brown develops.

I think marlon will continue to develop and work on his game much like Torrey has over the years.

#10 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

As a rookie, thats 1/2nd round numbers.

God, Glory, and Texas Football

Hook 'em Horns

#11 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

However, the Ravens just brought in Bobby Engram (who had the most productive college receiver duo for a while last year, not sure if they finished that way), they have a new offensive coordinator, and Marlon WAS coming off a torn ACL. He was marred by injuries in college, so it's not like he had developed a ton.

He's going to get better, by a lot. He's not going to be the number two this year, but as a number three, he's excellent.

He'll be one of the best #3's out there this year. I say he takes over as #2 in 2015 and we use Steve as a 3 or cut him.

Edited by ravensnick, 11 May 2014 - 05:28 PM.

God, Glory, and Texas Football

Hook 'em Horns

#12 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't care what anyone else says...Marlon stepped up big time last season and I loved his game!  He'll get better and better the more opportunities he has to be on the field!

#Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"We have an opportunity to get to the playoffs.

None of these teams are better than us. Let’s go prove it!”

- John Harbaugh

#13 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,173 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Watch this then:

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#14 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,203 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

The problem is, I saw the exact opposite.  I thought he caught balls when contested very well.  He provided room for error for Flacco, which is something I feel he greatly needs because he doesn't seem to ever deliver the ball on time or on target.  Marlon made up for that with his height, hands, and jumping ability.
In fact, the only thing that I think held him back from posting better numbers was.... Flacco and Harbaugh's tendency to not play the players that are making plays and go with the guys HE likes.  I'm not sure what else LaQuan Williams could do to deserve more playing time.  Any time he was on the field, he made plays.  As for Marlon Brown, and why he didn't get MORE than 500 yards and 7 TDs.... he wasn't on the field as often as most receivers. 
And remember, Brown was also a rookie.   Not onlt first year playing with Flacco... but first year in NFL period.  First year in that offense.  Lot's of changes... and If that's the absolute FLOOR... I'm excited to see what his ceiling is.
What receiver in the draft do you honestly think would outperform Marlon Brown?  Or ANY of our top 4 receivers.  Because THAT'S what I just don't see. 
Do the Ravens have a Calvin Johnson?  No.  There's only one of those.  But how many teams would you honestly consider to have a better top 3 or 4 receivers than the Ravens?  I can't think of many.  I'd be hard pressed to name more than 5.

you just don't turn do a chance to take a shot at joe do ya mate

#15 organizedchaos007

organizedchaos007

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Not sure why people are disappointed in him... or questioning what he is. Lets state the facts here. First of all hes an UDFA who was our #3, caught 500 yards, and 7 TDs all of which were redzone if I'm not mistaken. He was second on the team in TD's. Everything I have seen he uses his frame pretty darn well being as raw as he is and only being in the league for a year. This dude was a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE pickup for us considering how we got him. And as someone said earlier, last year was his basement... not his ceiling. Each year he will get better, more technical with his route running, getting off press coverage, learning how to use his frame, and reading defenses. What can you NOT like about him. I love the kid

Posted Image

#16 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,383 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

He's got a lot of improving to do, but to me that just means he has a lot of room to grow.  I'm very curious to see what kind of progress he makes over the rest of the offseason and especially now that he's got play callers around him that I believe will be able to maximize what he does well.

#17 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=BB5hp9rVm_0

The first 2 touchdowns were contested in this video...

So 500 yards and 7 touchdowns doesn't impress you for a rookie....? For a number 3 receiver and a number 4 or 5 option.

He will only get better and better. Steve Smith being in the game will only help that. Owen Daniels and Pitta healthy will only help that.

I am actually surprised that I came in here and no one had negged you. Several times he caught balls contested or had to stiff arm a defender as he trotted to the endzone.

What receiver was really worth taking in the first 2 rounds if we stayed put? Marqise Lee?? I would rather have the best inside linebacker of the draft.

Joe has enough weapons this year, let's watch them grow with him instead of trying to bring new guys in.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#18 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels... We don't need Marlon Brown to be spectacular, we just need him to be solid. I'm sure he will build off of his rookie year, and the vets will teach him as he grows. We could've added a receiver in the first, second, or even third, but that's not what happened. It looks like we are building a defense that has potential to be great. I love what our front office is doing actually. The Ravens have always been a defensive team. If Elam, Mosley, Arthur Brown, Jimmy Smith, Brooks, Jernigan, Williams, etc. all develop into solid pros, our defense will be nasty in a few years. We've drafted heavy defense early in the draft the past two years, maybe next year is the year we go offense in the first and/or second round. In Ozzie We Trust.

Edited by MoveThoseChains, 11 May 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#19 ravensfansince1998

ravensfansince1998

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

We have enough weapons. Marlon Brown has room for improvement, and you have to remember that last year was his rookie season. Also, those are pretty good numbers, especially for someone who went undrafted. 

One should never take blue crab for granted 

#20 RavensDE

RavensDE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels... We don't need Marlon Brown to be spectacular, we just need him to be solid. I'm sure he will build off of his rookie year, and the vets will teach him as he grows. We could've added a receiver in the first, second, or even third, but that's not what happened. It looks like we are building a defense that has potential to be great. I love what our front office is doing actually. The Ravens have always been a defensive team. If Elam, Mosley, Arthur Brown, Jimmy Smith, Brooks, Jernigan, Williams, etc. all develop into solid pros, our defense will be nasty in a few years. We've drafted heavy defense early in the draft the past two years, maybe next year is the year we go offense in the first and/or second round. In Ozzie We Trust.

Agreed. I feel like defense is always undervalued compared to offense, and therefore best player available leans to us drafting defensive positions. Fine with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users