BenMir

Marlon Brown

130 posts in this topic

I see so many people here say it's fine we didn't get a top WR in the draft since we got Marlon, and he was a beast this year and will be a great receiver next season.

Why? What do you see in him that I don't? Great, so he got 500 yards and 7 TDs. Since what do 500 yards are a lot? Or even a decent amount?

No to mention I don't recall him having a great hands, nor do I remember him good at using his frame to shield the defender. He's not great with tough or contested catches, and he doesn't break tackles.

Please, help me up here so I, too, can feel better about our receiving corps.

He still has some developing to do for sure, but it's good for an undrafted rookie coming off of an ACL tear to do as well as he did.  He's not a finished product.

However, I still wish we would have hit WR early.

He got the team a couple of TDs, when the offense was struggling, so most of the fanbase overreacted and blew his play on the field out of proportion to calm their nerves and hold out hope that the Ravens offense wasn't done that season.

I like him personally, but he didn't show enough for me to feel at ease with the WR position on our team.

Edited by PolishRifle

I see so many people here say it's fine we didn't get a top WR in the draft since we got Marlon, and he was a beast this year and will be a great receiver next season.

Why? What do you see in him that I don't? Great, so he got 500 yards and 7 TDs. Since what do 500 yards are a lot? Or even a decent amount?

No to mention I don't recall him having a great hands, nor do I remember him good at using his frame to shield the defender. He's not great with tough or contested catches, and he doesn't break tackles.

Well, I'll try to help you out...

The problem is, I saw the exact opposite.  I thought he caught balls when contested very well.  He provided room for error for Flacco, which is something I feel he greatly needs because he doesn't seem to ever deliver the ball on time or on target.  Marlon made up for that with his height, hands, and jumping ability.

In fact, the only thing that I think held him back from posting better numbers was.... Flacco and Harbaugh's tendency to not play the players that are making plays and go with the guys HE likes.  I'm not sure what else LaQuan Williams could do to deserve more playing time.  Any time he was on the field, he made plays.  As for Marlon Brown, and why he didn't get MORE than 500 yards and 7 TDs.... he wasn't on the field as often as most receivers. 

And remember, Brown was also a rookie.   Not onlt first year playing with Flacco... but first year in NFL period.  First year in that offense.  Lot's of changes... and If that's the absolute FLOOR... I'm excited to see what his ceiling is.

What receiver in the draft do you honestly think would outperform Marlon Brown?  Or ANY of our top 4 receivers.  Because THAT'S what I just don't see. 

Do the Ravens have a Calvin Johnson?  No.  There's only one of those.  But how many teams would you honestly consider to have a better top 3 or 4 receivers than the Ravens?  I can't think of many.  I'd be hard pressed to name more than 5.

The problem is, I saw the exact opposite. I thought he caught balls when contested very well. He provided room for error for Flacco, which is something I feel he greatly needs because he doesn't seem to ever deliver the ball on time or on target. Marlon made up for that with his height, hands, and jumping ability.

In fact, the only thing that I think held him back from posting better numbers was.... Flacco and Harbaugh's tendency to not play the players that are making plays and go with the guys HE likes. I'm not sure what else LaQuan Williams could do to deserve more playing time. Any time he was on the field, he made plays. As for Marlon Brown, and why he didn't get MORE than 500 yards and 7 TDs.... he wasn't on the field as often as most receivers.

And remember, Brown was also a rookie. Not onlt first year playing with Flacco... but first year in NFL period. First year in that offense. Lot's of changes... and If that's the absolute FLOOR... I'm excited to see what his ceiling is.

What receiver in the draft do you honestly think would outperform Marlon Brown? Or ANY of our top 4 receivers. Because THAT'S what I just don't see.

Do the Ravens have a Calvin Johnson? No. There's only one of those. But how many teams would you honestly consider to have a better top 3 or 4 receivers than the Ravens? I can't think of many. I'd be hard pressed to name more than 5.

About his playing time, IIRC there was an article in this website about a month ago saying he played 80% of the snaps this season and also that his playing time wasn't decreased even when JJ came back.

About the draft, I don't know. I really don't know, but I just don't feel like we can say we gave Joe legit threats except Torrey.

He's still got a lot of developing to do. His hands were eh at times, he doesn't show good body control along the sidelines, he still needs to work on that catch radius, he struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder, and he needs to do better with shielding the ball with his massive body. He does well going over the middle when the ball is in front of him and he has shown a little bit of creativity to get some YAC. 

However, the Ravens just brought in Bobby Engram (who had the most productive college receiver duo for a while last year, not sure if they finished that way), they have a new offensive coordinator, and Marlon WAS coming off a torn ACL. He was marred by injuries in college, so it's not like he had developed a ton.

He's going to get better, by a lot. He's not going to be the number two this year, but as a number three, he's excellent.

Marlon is solid but he hasn't dominated. He has a lot of upside but if we really felt he was a legit #2 in the league we wouldn't have resigned Jacoby and signed S.Smith. I love the kid and he will probably be #3 in snaps and more successful than last year but let's stay on moderate ground.

He's still got a lot of developing to do. His hands were eh at times, he doesn't show good body control along the sidelines, he still needs to work on that catch radius, he struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder, and he needs to do better with shielding the ball with his massive body. He does well going over the middle when the ball is in front of him and he has shown a little bit of creativity to get some YAC.

I don't know, that last second TD catch against the Vikings was some pretty excellent body control. But I do agree with a lot of what your saying.

My biggest qualm with him is he plays soft at times. You would expect a guy who is 6'5 200+ to be pretty physical and really box guys out with his body as you said, but I don't see him doing that. Whether it means adding some muscle, or just playing tougher in general, I want to see a lot more physicality and aggressiveness out of Marlon.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/. Drop percentage listed at 3%

http://www.kffl.com/player/28001/nfl/utilization/marlon-brown?uyear=2013 targets, second most on team

http://www.nfl.com/player/marlonbrown/2540005/situationalstats all 7 tds came in the redzone

Don't really care if the op wants to down play the yards or the 7 tds. Not sure why its down played for brown but

No one would down play it for pitta or when we had boldin.

Bottom line, he's liked because most people see him as a big target, with an ability to go up for the ball and suspect that with

Playing with Steve smith he'd develop the killer instinct that q had which gives us an added chain mover on third down.

If one cannot see how valuable that is to this franchise and how key that was during the sb run then of course they'd create threads just to mock people who are excited to see how brown develops.

I think marlon will continue to develop and work on his game much like Torrey has over the years.

As a rookie, thats 1/2nd round numbers.

However, the Ravens just brought in Bobby Engram (who had the most productive college receiver duo for a while last year, not sure if they finished that way), they have a new offensive coordinator, and Marlon WAS coming off a torn ACL. He was marred by injuries in college, so it's not like he had developed a ton.

He's going to get better, by a lot. He's not going to be the number two this year, but as a number three, he's excellent.

He'll be one of the best #3's out there this year. I say he takes over as #2 in 2015 and we use Steve as a 3 or cut him.

Edited by ravensnick

I don't care what anyone else says...Marlon stepped up big time last season and I loved his game!  He'll get better and better the more opportunities he has to be on the field!

#Mili

The problem is, I saw the exact opposite.  I thought he caught balls when contested very well.  He provided room for error for Flacco, which is something I feel he greatly needs because he doesn't seem to ever deliver the ball on time or on target.  Marlon made up for that with his height, hands, and jumping ability.

In fact, the only thing that I think held him back from posting better numbers was.... Flacco and Harbaugh's tendency to not play the players that are making plays and go with the guys HE likes.  I'm not sure what else LaQuan Williams could do to deserve more playing time.  Any time he was on the field, he made plays.  As for Marlon Brown, and why he didn't get MORE than 500 yards and 7 TDs.... he wasn't on the field as often as most receivers. 

And remember, Brown was also a rookie.   Not onlt first year playing with Flacco... but first year in NFL period.  First year in that offense.  Lot's of changes... and If that's the absolute FLOOR... I'm excited to see what his ceiling is.

What receiver in the draft do you honestly think would outperform Marlon Brown?  Or ANY of our top 4 receivers.  Because THAT'S what I just don't see. 

Do the Ravens have a Calvin Johnson?  No.  There's only one of those.  But how many teams would you honestly consider to have a better top 3 or 4 receivers than the Ravens?  I can't think of many.  I'd be hard pressed to name more than 5.

you just don't turn do a chance to take a shot at joe do ya mate

Not sure why people are disappointed in him... or questioning what he is. Lets state the facts here. First of all hes an UDFA who was our #3, caught 500 yards, and 7 TDs all of which were redzone if I'm not mistaken. He was second on the team in TD's. Everything I have seen he uses his frame pretty darn well being as raw as he is and only being in the league for a year. This dude was a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE pickup for us considering how we got him. And as someone said earlier, last year was his basement... not his ceiling. Each year he will get better, more technical with his route running, getting off press coverage, learning how to use his frame, and reading defenses. What can you NOT like about him. I love the kid

He's got a lot of improving to do, but to me that just means he has a lot of room to grow.  I'm very curious to see what kind of progress he makes over the rest of the offseason and especially now that he's got play callers around him that I believe will be able to maximize what he does well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5hp9rVm_0

The first 2 touchdowns were contested in this video...

So 500 yards and 7 touchdowns doesn't impress you for a rookie....? For a number 3 receiver and a number 4 or 5 option.

He will only get better and better. Steve Smith being in the game will only help that. Owen Daniels and Pitta healthy will only help that.

I am actually surprised that I came in here and no one had negged you. Several times he caught balls contested or had to stiff arm a defender as he trotted to the endzone.

What receiver was really worth taking in the first 2 rounds if we stayed put? Marqise Lee?? I would rather have the best inside linebacker of the draft.

Joe has enough weapons this year, let's watch them grow with him instead of trying to bring new guys in.

Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels... We don't need Marlon Brown to be spectacular, we just need him to be solid. I'm sure he will build off of his rookie year, and the vets will teach him as he grows. We could've added a receiver in the first, second, or even third, but that's not what happened. It looks like we are building a defense that has potential to be great. I love what our front office is doing actually. The Ravens have always been a defensive team. If Elam, Mosley, Arthur Brown, Jimmy Smith, Brooks, Jernigan, Williams, etc. all develop into solid pros, our defense will be nasty in a few years. We've drafted heavy defense early in the draft the past two years, maybe next year is the year we go offense in the first and/or second round. In Ozzie We Trust.

Edited by MoveThoseChains

We have enough weapons. Marlon Brown has room for improvement, and you have to remember that last year was his rookie season. Also, those are pretty good numbers, especially for someone who went undrafted. 

Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels... We don't need Marlon Brown to be spectacular, we just need him to be solid. I'm sure he will build off of his rookie year, and the vets will teach him as he grows. We could've added a receiver in the first, second, or even third, but that's not what happened. It looks like we are building a defense that has potential to be great. I love what our front office is doing actually. The Ravens have always been a defensive team. If Elam, Mosley, Arthur Brown, Jimmy Smith, Brooks, Jernigan, Williams, etc. all develop into solid pros, our defense will be nasty in a few years. We've drafted heavy defense early in the draft the past two years, maybe next year is the year we go offense in the first and/or second round. In Ozzie We Trust.

Agreed. I feel like defense is always undervalued compared to offense, and therefore best player available leans to us drafting defensive positions. Fine with me.

Remember too, we have a new WR coach, who was actually a WR.  I look forward to all of them showing at least some progress and development.

Well I have to imagine that when people say the Ravens need to get Flacco help in the draft they should have added a WR or TE during the first 3 rounds.

So you ask why are some people ok with a WR not being taken with Brown being here. Well while iagree that his numbers weren't great consider the fact that a total of 16 WRs and TEs drafted over the top 3 rounds of the 2013 draft and Brown's numbers of 50+rec 500+yds and 7tds was better then all but 3 guys. Allen(SD), Hopkins(Hou) and Williams(Dal). If Brown was a 2nd round pick last season and put up those numbers, I doubt people would be saying Joe doesn't have talent around him or Ozzie is neglecting the offense. It's funny how a guys draft spot leads people to think he's a good player or not. It'll be interesting how many of these great WR prospects of the 2014 draft can produce 50recs, 500yds and 7 tds.

Also understand that Brown didn't even start taking live practice reps until about a week before the first preseason game and didn't start taking limited first team reps until week 3 of the preseason. He was basically forced into the #2 WR role for an offense that struggled all season, with limited offensive talent. He faced teams #2 DB most times.

So now people like myself are excited to see his continued development. Also despite being over 30 you have a guy in Smith who still demands attention from defenses, which mean Brown nickle, dime, safeties and some times even lbs with the way Kubes creates mismatches.

Also think about the offense we now have andthe creative guy who's calling it. If Brown can produce that type of numbers in a non-creative offense, with no running game, a oline that didn't give the QB enough time to get through his progressions, imagine what he could do if Kubes gets this offense rolling.

Sometimes we get carried away with thinking that just because a draft class is said to be good that a guy selected will be an improvement over what you currently have. Now I'm not saying Brown is great and we couldn't have used a top WR because I too wanted a top guy. But there were only about 3-4 who I felt fitwhat we are doingand would have added something different to the offense. As I said in another thread, of you are adding a unproven guy to the team that bringsthe same things that Torrey brings or the same thing that Marlon brings, what's the point? Are you adding a guy to improve or at you just adding a guy for the sake of saying we addressed the offense.

Not sure why people are disappointed in him... or questioning what he is. Lets state the facts here. First of all hes an UDFA who was our #3, caught 500 yards, and 7 TDs all of which were redzone if I'm not mistaken. He was second on the team in TD's. Everything I have seen he uses his frame pretty darn well being as raw as he is and only being in the league for a year. This dude was a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE pickup for us considering how we got him. And as someone said earlier, last year was his basement... not his ceiling. Each year he will get better, more technical with his route running, getting off press coverage, learning how to use his frame, and reading defenses. What can you NOT like about him. I love the kid

If he didn't get injured in college, Marlon was never going to be a Raven. He would be 2nd-3rd round pick.

Anybody who saw him in a preseason game vs Rams could tell that we have very gifted WR. You don't have to know anything about football but watching him you can just tell he is a natural. I can't wait to see him this season.

Well I have to imagine that when people say the Ravens need to get Flacco help in the draft they should have added a WR or TE during the first 3 rounds.

So you ask why are some people ok with a WR not being taken with Brown being here. Well while iagree that his numbers weren't great consider the fact that a total of 16 WRs and TEs drafted over the top 3 rounds of the 2013 draft and Brown's numbers of 50+rec 500+yds and 7tds was better then all but 3 guys. Allen(SD), Hopkins(Hou) and Williams(Dal). If Brown was a 2nd round pick last season and put up those numbers, I doubt people would be saying Joe doesn't have talent around him or Ozzie is neglecting the offense. It's funny how a guys draft spot leads people to think he's a good player or not. It'll be interesting how many of these great WR prospects of the 2014 draft can produce 50recs, 500yds and 7 tds.

Also understand that Brown didn't even start taking live practice reps until about a week before the first preseason game and didn't start taking limited first team reps until week 3 of the preseason. He was basically forced into the #2 WR role for an offense that struggled all season, with limited offensive talent. He faced teams #2 DB most times.

So now people like myself are excited to see his continued development. Also despite being over 30 you have a guy in Smith who still demands attention from defenses, which mean Brown nickle, dime, safeties and some times even lbs with the way Kubes creates mismatches.

Also think about the offense we now have andthe creative guy who's calling it. If Brown can produce that type of numbers in a non-creative offense, with no running game, a oline that didn't give the QB enough time to get through his progressions, imagine what he could do if Kubes gets this offense rolling.

Sometimes we get carried away with thinking that just because a draft class is said to be good that a guy selected will be an improvement over what you currently have. Now I'm not saying Brown is great and we couldn't have used a top WR because I too wanted a top guy. But there were only about 3-4 who I felt fitwhat we are doingand would have added something different to the offense. As I said in another thread, of you are adding a unproven guy to the team that bringsthe same things that Torrey brings or the same thing that Marlon brings, what's the point? Are you adding a guy to improve or at you just adding a guy for the sake of saying we addressed the offense.

I have to disagree here. Marlon's numbers are nice, but he also got way more targets because we had such a depleted WR group. Remember, when Jacoby missed the first 4 or so games, it was basically Torrey, Marlon and the trio of Stokley/Deonte/Doss (all of which might not be on a roster this year). He had a nice TD grab against Buffalo, but they were missing 3/4ths of their starting secondary that game.

He could've been a 2nd round pick - and a decent one at that, but Kenbrell Tompkins and Jermaine Kearse also went undrafted and made big impacts. The Marlon Brown highlights were nice, but half of those were repeats or from preseason. I like Marlon and he could be starter quality, but he's still a guy who doesn't use his body well, doesn't run great routes and needs extra instruction.

I have to disagree here. Marlon's numbers are nice, but he also got way more targets because we had such a depleted WR group. Remember, when Jacoby missed the first 4 or so games, it was basically Torrey, Marlon and the trio of Stokley/Deonte/Doss (all of which might not be on a roster this year). He had a nice TD grab against Buffalo, but they were missing 3/4ths of their starting secondary that game.

He could've been a 2nd round pick - and a decent one at that, but Kenbrell Tompkins and Jermaine Kearse also went undrafted and made big impacts. The Marlon Brown highlights were nice, but half of those were repeats or from preseason. I like Marlon and he could be starter quality, but he's still a guy who doesn't use his body well, doesn't run great routes and needs extra instruction.

So what exactly are you disagreeing with? I never said Marlon was without fault and didn't still need development. Your post actually makes my point. You are seemingly finding every reason to show why Brown's numbers somehow shouldn't count towards him having a successful season. Again you disagree but help cement my point, Krease and Thompson having strong seasons as undrafted guys just shows that talent comes from everywhere and just because the Ravens aren't adding 2nd and 3rd round WRs doesn't mean they aren't adding talent to this offense.

Just because Brown was a undrafted FA his season is viewed as a fluke and he needs to prove it again. But the same people who go out of their way to show how his production somehow doesn't matter are the same people who jumped on the Torrey Smith bangwagon after his rookie year. Out of his 50recs 841yds 7tds, 11 catches 317yds and 4Tds came in 2 games against a poor STL secondary and a beat up Bengals secondary. But nobody discounts that we were just happy that Ozzie finally got it right with a high WR pick. So why do we now look at Brown and discredit him?

Actually the fact that Brown still has many areas to improve but still had such a solid season should be encouraging.

You have to view Marlon Brown's numbers from a different perspective. First, its not a norm for Rookie WRs to post big huge numbers in their rookie years. Going back to 2001 there aren't many rookie WRs to record 900+ receiving yards in a season. It's happen more over the last couple years

2003 A.Johnson, A.Boldin : 2004 Mi.Clayton : 2006 M.Colston: 2007 D.Bowe : 2008 D.Jackson, E.Royal : 2010 M.Williams: 2011 J.Jones, AJ Green : 2013 K.Allen.

Marlon Brown wasn't drafted, he barely received enough preseason reps to get the playbook down, so he learned on the fly during the regular season and he still posted better receiving numbers than many WRs we've had over the last 5 years this includes TJ Housh, J.Jones, K.Washington, M.Clayton.

I do expect improvement from M.Brown as a route runner, he already displayed toughness to attack passes last season IMO. Also he could benefit from different ( better ) play-calling. Last season it seemed that Caldwell stop attacking the middle of field creatively like he did after Cam got fired and it felt that Cam Cameron was dialing up streaks and curls. The Predictable nature of our play-calling, along with abysmal run game also makes his stats stand out for me.

I like Marlon Brown a lot but I really don't like how we're banking on him to take the next step. I get why and understand it. It makes sense. It doesn't mean I like it. I guess we're trying to get these guys a chance to shine. We do have a lot of talent at the WR position in Mellette, Brown, Campanaro behind the established Smiths and Jones. Overall, I expect Brown to have an impact and a pretty decent one. I don't think we'll see as many 2TE sets as people suggest. I definitely think we will, just not a ton.

just watch that game winning TD catch against the vikings where flacco found him in the back of the endzone and dude came down with both feet in the endzone.

just the awarenes to know where he was on the field and the how he used his toes to make sure he came down inbound is really special.

he is the big bodied WR everyone  was crying about.

you just don't turn do a chance to take a shot at joe do ya mate

I'm saying, Joe throwing it to recievers he likes....I guess Marlon is one of those WR, since he trusted him in a Game winning TD situation. I started to agree, but then he started saying stuff that is simply not true.

Really like Marlon. Extreme talent, good hands, and big frame. A couple of questions about him are his injury status, he did well last year but still sat a game or two iirc. Also, there were a few times when he ran the wrong pattern and now he's learning a new playbook.

I think he has the ability to play inside and outside as well.

He reminds me of DeAndre Hopkins in some regards and he had originally signed with Texans as a UDFA so Kubiak must have liked him then too.