126 replies to this topic

#1 52liveforever

52liveforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

The past few drafts Ozzie has really been focusing on building a dominant defense to come. i am starting to see it mold together. in a couple seasons this defensive is going to wreak havoc.

a dominant front 7 in the making. jernigan will end up being an upgrade of jones in a yr or so. brandon williams will be a kelly gregg like NT and if Urban can develop like he should he could be a monster but im not going to get my hopes up for him yet. Upshaw continues to improve and will eventually need a elite pass rusher opposite of him as suggs and doom fade out. brown and mosley will anchor this defense and be one of the elite ilb corps of the league.

Secondary be best in years

webb will be ending his prime by this time but will still be a big playmaker. jimmy smith will emerge as the huge talent we all hoped and elam will hopefully mature and be the enforcer of the secondary. FS is another position that may need filing but we will see how ozzie's pick this year turns out in brookes. ozzie may have found a gem, but im not sold yet so we will see.

im very excited to see this young defense develop. so many intriguing pieces. 

#2 NebraskaRavensFan44

NebraskaRavensFan44

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

I'm looking forward to see how Kapron Lewis-Moore fits in too.

#3 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:03 AM

Lots of talent on our roster right now and our defense could be dominate next year. May take a year for these rookies to catch on, but give Mosley, Jernigan, and Brooks some time to develop and they will probably be our starters. Finally have that interior rush guy who can compliment our outside rush. Mosley's instincts are incredible and with guys like Jerngian/Ngata/Canty there to take up blockers he's going to have easy holes to fill. One of the reasons Ray was so great is because his DT's kept the lineman off of him so he could make the play in space. Mosley and Brown are linebackers who excel at that and hopefully can turn into our starters once Smith is gone. 

Edited by RavensNation14, 11 May 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#4 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,238 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

Even this year we should be looking at the top 10 at least. Imagine having a side facing 2nd & 14 with us fielding a front seven of Dumervil, Ngata, Jernigan, Suggs, Smith, Mosley and Brown. Good luck passing against that.

We're building a really nice young core at the moment and it looks like those days of no-one rushing for 100 yards on us are going to return at some point. Give it time and our DL rotation could rival the Bengals. And we'll have a better secondary. Chuck in a quality five-tech rusher and a long-term CB2 and we just might have the answer to how good we'd look with an incredible defence and an actual franchise QB.

Can't help but wonder if something like this was forming as a long-term plan for Ozzie when Demarco Murray did a number on us.

#5 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

After a bit of time for Jernigan, Mosley and Brooks to get into the rhythm of things, this defense could become the best the Ravens have had since 2000.

#6 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

We are definitely building this defense. You can say what you want about a QB league but defense still has heavy influence on who wins the Super Bowl. I love the young talent. I'm excited to see how the young OLBs continue to develop. There are definitely still pieces to still be added, but from a foundation stand point ilike where we're going. Young, fast and physical.

Both Timmy and Brandon are strong and penetrating on the inside. Both are stout against the run but will also be able to get good pressure on the QB. We've taken two guys who could man the 5 over the last two years. Both Mosley and Brown can run and hit. Put them behind this dline and let them roam. Both are good in coverage so teams won't be able tojust spread us out. Jimmy is comingonto his own and developing into that shut down guy we hoped. Elam can now move to SS where he is better suited because we just drafted a really good FS with potential to be great and will quickly become aleader of the secondary. I love the future of this defense.

mj5v69.jpg

#7 NUM4TIC

NUM4TIC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

After a bit of time for Jernigan, Mosley and Brooks to get into the rhythm of things, this defense could become the best the Ravens have had since 2000.

I don't know about that. 06 sure. There probably won't be another defense, ever, like the 2000 one. Too many rule changes.

I thought it was a great defensive draft. Mosely and Jernigan have strong potential to be two slam dunks. Besides that Mosely is just a great person. Him and Harbaugh are going to get along greatly. Urban and Brooks seem like solid picks. The only real question mark to me is Brooks but he could be solid. Urban has that grinder feel like a Kruger or Jarret Johnson, I thought it was a great pick for depth,versatility, and effort. Don't sleep on that RB. Kubiak and Harbaugh are two great evaluators of that position. In two years the Ravens could be making some serious super bowl runs if a few of those picks pan out and I think they will. The Defense really needed this. Next year's draft will be the big one. A couple offensive hits next year and bam you have an instant deep playoff team again in my eyes. Urban might be the guy that everyone ends up thinking was a steal in the fourth.

I'm not going to say anything about Brown yet. I think he could make a Bart Scott like impact because he's fast but I have concerns about his mental make up. I wouldn't be surprised if he did well but I'm not counting on it.

#8 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

One thing to note, I'm pretty sure we ran a 4-3 during the 200 SB run and I think we switch to that this year.

Starters would be: Ngata at 1-tech, Canty/Jernigan at 3 tech, Dumervil/Upshaw at LDE, Suggs at RDE, Brown at LOLB, Smith at MLB, and Mosely at ROLB.

Secondary is: FS: Brooks, SS: Elam, CBs: Webb, Smith 3rd CB (if he can avoid suspension): Jackson.

Edited by ravensnick, 11 May 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#9 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

One thing to note, I'm pretty sure we ran a 4-3 during the 200 SB run and I think we switch to that this year.

I doubt a switch to 4-3 will happen. If for nothing else, than the fact that Dumervil has had his best years as an OLB and I don't think Upshaw fits into a 4-3 scheme. He's better at setting the edge as a linebacker. Plus, I would prefer both Mosley and Brown to be in the middle, making it easier for them to roam all over the field, rather than having one being stuck on just the left or right side.

#10 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Starters would be: Ngata at 1-tech, Canty/Jernigan at 3 tech, Dumervil/Upshaw at LDE, Suggs at RDE, Brown at LOLB, Smith at MLB, and Mosely at ROLB.

Secondary is: FS: Brooks, SS: Elam, CBs: Webb, Smith 3rd CB (if he can avoid suspension): Jackson.

brown would be will, mosley mike and smith sam I think.

#11 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

I doubt a switch to 4-3 will happen. If for nothing else, than the fact that Dumervil has had his best years as an OLB and I don't think Upshaw fits into a 4-3 scheme. He's better at setting the edge as a linebacker. Plus, I would prefer both Mosley and Brown to be in the middle, making it easier for them to roam all over the field, rather than having one being stuck on just the left or right side.

The scouts pretty much said they took Brent Urban because he is a perfect 3-4 fit. Why would we draft him if we were switching to a 4-3? 

Pees also coaches a 3-4 - he and our position coaches would be lost if we suddenly changed to a 4-3. You're right - it's not gonna happen. But there will always be mixed formations anyway.

We have young players on this D that have yet to contribute or hit their potential. John Simon has not been mentioned yet. Adrian Hamilton could still be a surprise 3rd down pass rusher (or not make the team).

#12 HockeyAndRavens

HockeyAndRavens

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

I really loved how Ozzie didn't pass on Jernigan in the 2nd round, way to valuable and talented to pass on.

#13 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

I think that year had more to do with Dum being his prime than playing OLB. He is definitely more of a DE than a OLB

#14 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

I have a feeling that John Simon will log some valuable minutes for us too. I really believe that he will make effort plays on our defense that will largely go unnoticed  ala Jarrett Johnson. 

z66oxxi.jpg

#15 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I think that year had more to do with Dum being his prime than playing OLB. He is definitely more of a DE than a OLB

If anything he was in his prime when he was playing DE.  But I don't think there's a huge split.  He's a good pass rusher and bad run defender in either formation

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#16 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

If anything he was in his prime when he was playing DE.  But I don't think there's a huge split.  He's a good pass rusher and bad run defender in either formation

True, thats why Upshaw is a co-starter.

#17 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

we need some young dynamic pass rushers before I get super excited about this young defense. But I do like where it is going.

#18 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

The scouts pretty much said they took Brent Urban because he is a perfect 3-4 fit. Why would we draft him if we were switching to a 4-3? 

Pees also coaches a 3-4 - he and our position coaches would be lost if we suddenly changed to a 4-3. You're right - it's not gonna happen. But there will always be mixed formations anyway.

We have young players on this D that have yet to contribute or hit their potential. John Simon has not been mentioned yet. Adrian Hamilton could still be a surprise 3rd down pass rusher (or not make the team).

Urban could also play 4-3 DT, we ran a lot of 4-3 last year with Suggs in a three point.

Edited by ravensnick, 11 May 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#19 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Urban could also play 4-3 DT, we ran a lot of 4-3 last year with Suggs in a three point.

We also ran a lot of 5-2. We use multiple fronts during a game.
15fqib6.jpg

#20 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

We also ran a lot of 5-2. We use multiple fronts during a game.

True, but I think a 4-3 base would be a solid idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users