Ravens at Browns      Game Rewind      Rice Jersey Exchange   

Photo

The offensive line woes are greatly exaggerated.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, last year the offensive line was a complete mess. But when you look the causes, it was having an inexperienced center who couldn't match up against nose tackles trying to lead the line while a new scheme was being implemented. Also, KO got hurt. And because of this, the middle of the line simply couldn't stop anyone, making it impossible to run and letting blitzers get through easily.

So, the Ravens fixed that by getting Zuttah, an above average center that didn't give up a sack at center or guard. Also, KO is back and seems to be healthy. When you actually look at the lineup, the Ravens have a top ten LT, two solid guards, and a good center now. The only question mark is right tackle... and then people started acting like right tackle is the most important position on the offensive line and without a star playing that position, the line is just going to collapse. Take a good look at the starting right tackles around the league. You don't see many high end draft picks or well known players among the group. And for backups, it gets even worse. Oher is above average for the position.

Going into a season with 4 proven starters on the line is not a bad position to be in, at all. In fact, even with Wagner is the starter, this line is better than the Texan's line was during most of Kubiak's run as their head coach. And to go with those starters, the Ravens added depth at center and guard in the draft, and there's cheap veteran right tackles the Ravens can get in free agency. Barring 2 or 3 starters going down, which would cripple any o-line in the league, the line will be fine.

#2 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

James Hurst, if healthy, could be a right tackle for the Ravens. Huge UDFA steal.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 10 May 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#3 Ravens07

Ravens07

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

The offense last year, I feel, was completely out of sync, and that starts with the coaching. I think Caldwell was prompted to run a scheme that he wasn't entirely comfortable with. For several years now John has been trying to implement this zone-blocking scheme and Kubiak is just what the doctor ordered. Kubiak will really get this offense going, both in the run and pass games. The Ravens have expressed confidence in Rick Wagner, and at the moment right tackle is the only true question mark. Still, I would expect a veteran signing or two to bolster that group. We only have two pure tackles, after all. Osemele and Yanda are capable at tackle, but we'd prefer them to stay inside. The process is far from over.

Edited by Ravens07, 10 May 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#4 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

I agree with all three of you when  I heard we signed Hurst I was thrilled . Injuries and inexperience killed the line last year. add to that Castillo runs some of the most complicated pass protection and run blocking schemes which was another huge problem. I'm excited for the new season to start .

Edited by runamuk, 10 May 2014 - 08:52 PM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#5 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Good post, RaineV1. Our O Line struggled last year, but it's hard to replace such a good center in Matt Birk with a Gino Gradkowski. That, to me, is one of the most overlooked reasons why our O-Line struggled. Now we add a proven center, which let alone will be a upgrade at the least. We had Monroe on a "one year rental." After finishing that year and locking him up, Monroe can have a full offseason with the guys. We still have Yanda, a solid guard. We get KO back, which will also help. RT is the question mark, but we have young guys and I am confident one of them will step up and do fairly well. We also added Crockett Gillmore, a tight end who can block, and Lorenzo Taliaferro, a running back who can block. I expect to see a much better offensive line come week 1 of the regular season compared to last years. 

#6 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think we are solid on O-line after a trade overhaul, getting Monroe and Zuttah.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#7 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Yep, no need to panic. We are a little thin, but that will be fixed prior to the season.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#8 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

The Power of Positive Thinking

Nahhhhhhhh........You gotta start with where you were the previous year.

6-10 Post Draft

Yeah, last year the offensive line was a complete mess. But when you look the causes, it was having an inexperienced center who couldn't match up against nose tackles trying to lead the line while a new scheme was being implemented. Also, KO got hurt. And because of this, the middle of the line simply couldn't stop anyone, making it impossible to run and letting blitzers get through easily.

So, the Ravens fixed that by getting Zuttah, an above average center that didn't give up a sack at center or guard. Also, KO is back and seems to be healthy. When you actually look at the lineup, the Ravens have a top ten LT, two solid guards, and a good center now. The only question mark is right tackle... and then people started acting like right tackle is the most important position on the offensive line and without a star playing that position, the line is just going to collapse. Take a good look at the starting right tackles around the league. You don't see many high end draft picks or well known players among the group. And for backups, it gets even worse. Oher is above average for the position.

Going into a season with 4 proven starters on the line is not a bad position to be in, at all. In fact, even with Wagner is the starter, this line is better than the Texan's line was during most of Kubiak's run as their head coach. And to go with those starters, the Ravens added depth at center and guard in the draft, and there's cheap veteran right tackles the Ravens can get in free agency. Barring 2 or 3 starters going down, which would cripple any o-line in the league, the line will be fine.

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#9 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

I think James Hurst is going to be this year's Marlon brown and the year before that Justin tucker but as a RT. have no clue why he didn't get drafted oh well ozzie got him now!  

#10 52N19

52N19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

You are looking at the OL through purple glasses. You don't know how osemel will respond to his back problem. The center position is only marginally better and there is no replacement for oher. And that the starting rotation. There is no depth.

#11 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Well put. As a draft need, the OL has been overhyped around here imo. Part of the problem was also a new OL coach coming in with conflicting terminology to what was used (so we had two coaches telling the players different stuff). And, like you say, Gino's inexperience not helping.

*Monroe should be improved.

*KO is back (pun not intended).

*Zuttah should be an upgrade on Gino for a lot of reasons. Not All-Pro, but an average C should be fine.

*We've gotten rid of one of the conflicting voices.

*Kubiak's scheme being a better fit for the ZBS than whatever it was Caldwell used.

And now, James Hurst may prove to be the biggest pickup of day three of the draft (almost certainly for the Ravens, but possibly for anyone - brave call I know). As GrimCoconut said in another thread, the OL depth chart projects to be a nice one.

LT: Monroe

LG: KO/Gino

C: Zutah/Urschel

RG: Yanda/Jensen

RT: Wagner/Hurst

With Hurst, KO, Gino and Urschel each covering at least two spots.

If our line's still hopeless after all that, I'll jump on the Castillo hate wagon. But I do see reasons to be excited.

#12 Crabcakes&Football

Crabcakes&Football

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

You are looking at the OL through purple glasses. You don't know how osemel will respond to his back problem. The center position is only marginally better and there is no replacement for oher. And that the starting rotation. There is no depth.

Say what now? I don't know if you noticed how bad Gino actually was, something like 33rd ranked in the league and that's ONLY because there wasn't enough tape on the backups around the league. Even if Zuttah is simply average that is a HUGE upgrade.

Enjoy the Ride.
Posted Image

#13 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

The guy who didn't give up a single sack is only marginally better than the guy getting run over on every play?

#14 52N19

52N19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

The guy who didn't give up a single sack is only marginally better than the guy getting run over on every play?

"Zutah, 28 in June, figures to replace Gino Gradkowski who was last in Pro Football Focus’ 2013 ratings for centers. Zuttah was 22nd in those same ratings." From 32nd to 22nd is marginally improved.

#15 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

"Zutah, 28 in June, figures to replace Gino Gradkowski who was last in Pro Football Focus’ 2013 ratings for centers. Zuttah was 22nd in those same ratings." From 32nd to 22nd is marginally improved.

Meh. PFF rankings don't really mean much. Zuttah didn't give up a single sack as a guard or center last season for the Bucs. That's far, far better than Gino.

#16 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

I agree, I'm not too worried about the OL. If things were bad once were into preseason I could see Osemele moving back to right tackle, and Urschel possibly playing LG. But, I doubt that will happen. I think RT will be a battle between Rick Wagner and James Hurst

Edited by radicals, 10 May 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#17 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,703 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

Meh. PFF rankings don't really mean much. Zuttah didn't give up a single sack as a guard or center last season for the Bucs. That's far, far better than Gino.

That doesn't mean he wasn't giving up pressure.  Sacks as a stat can be misleading.

#18 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Monroe and Yanda are good players, but KO is coming of back surgery, we don't know how Zuttah will be able to fit in our OL and we left the RT spot vacant. Only 2 out of 5 positions are really set, the rest is very much uncertain. We also lack depth in OL unless someone believes, that Jah Reid, Shipley or Jensen will be able to help us out.

We're leaving things up to chance once again on offense, good luck with that. 

bJNF689.jpg

#19 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

That doesn't mean he wasn't giving up pressure.  Sacks as a stat can be misleading.

It's tough to get any kind of read from any kind of OL stats. OL play as a whole is such a group effort, especially for the ZBS. Individual stats don't factor in things like double-teaming or how the guys around him fare.

#20 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,703 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

It's tough to get any kind of read from any kind of OL stats. OL play as a whole is such a group effort, especially for the ZBS. Individual stats don't factor in things like double-teaming or how the guys around him fare.

I disagree, stats have meaning.  I just think you need to be looking at overall pressures and not just sacks.  And to that point, only Frederick, Myers, Mack, Gradkowski, and Wendell gave up more overall pressures than Zuttah, and they all did it on significantly more passing snaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users