Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dhstandard

Mike Campanaro

68 posts in this topic

Love this pick.  Even better that we traded back in to grab him.  In most other drafts this guy would have gone in rounds 4-6.  While he isn't the flashy receiver everyone craves, he could very well be the next Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, or Eddie Royal.

He is one of the best receivers in this draft at getting open in the zone and has fantastic hands.  The only knock on him is that he doesn't have "elite athleticism".  This meaning he isn't tall, fast, or big.

He is however, slippery and quick.  This guy will be a star and may very well fill the hole at slot receiver.  We have a good core group.  Torrey Smith, Touchdown Brown, Jacoby, Steve Smith.  

He will join our developmental group with Thompson and Mellette and I guarantee he will be a star.

Really happy to have him here for personal and football reasons.  I got to watch him slaughter my high school in the state championship twice.  He was a man amongst boys on that field.

I mentioned him on a thread a couple of months ago as an under-the-radar local guy. I had a feeling we were going to pick again in this draft after our "final" pick in round 6. I'm glad we did, and it was a pleasant surprise to see us draft Mike. The one position that Flacco has never really had is a reliable slot receiver. Now we add Steve Smith and Mike, who can definitely learn a lot from Stevie. I like it a lot. 

Forget this guy. He still owes my buddy 4 bucks from Maryland football camp that was loaned to him for pizza. Never paid him back. Classless. (Disclaimer: True story, but obviously doesn't make him classless lol. Played against him in high school. He rushed for 240 yards on 8 carries. Stud.)

I love the pick because it gives Flacco a guy who can get open quick and that's very important in a WCO. I don't look at the draft for right now because I know it's more about the future then the right now. I think for the second straight year the Ravens found a quality WR late in the draft. Now nothing is set but to project into the near future, I feel pretty good about Torrey, Marlon, Mellette and Camp. That gives you a guy who can make plays at every level. More importantly I like this pick because the offense is different and we actually have a OC who uses his talent to create mismatches. In years past he probably would have just got lost in the mix because he's not a strong route runner and u had to be to win in our old system. However knowing Kubes will allow this guy to work in space, which is what he does best is exciting.

Man I can't wait until preseason.

He really does compare well to the Welker/Amendola/Edelman.. Steal in the 7th, could end up being a really good slot wr for us.

Edited by Moderator 3

I can't wait to see this guy in a ravens uniform. Vicious slot guy and I'm happy we drafted him.

When can I buy a jersey

So after he was picked I immediatly watched two of his games and I have to say I am really impressed. He gets open quickly and finds holes in zone defenses, also he is really hard to cover because he's so quick. And the WF QB almost always threw to him.

He dropped some easy throws which is a minus, but his upside is huge. I love me some small slot guy. Really excited for this pick

Also I think its cool that some guys on here played against him

Edited by Ozzsome

We could have a really good young underrated WR group if he develops into a good slot WR and Marlon keeps developing as an outside WR. We'll have size, speed, and an underneath guy.

So after he was picked I immediatly watched two of his games and I have to say I am really impressed. He gets open quickly and finds holes in zone defenses, also he is really hard to cover because he's so quick. And the WF QB almost always threw to him.

He dropped some easy throws which is a minus, but his upside is huge. I love me some small slot guy. Really excited for this pick

Also I think its cool that some guys on here played against him

And are still owed a slice of pizza from him.  That ones my favourite haha.

with him I suggest you ignore the measurables. Hes basically our annoying jitterbug. You know what its like to play against them, you wish you could squash with a monster truck

I absolutely love this pick. Great talent at the 7th. Seems to me we had an amazing draft.

If we traded for him you know he's thought of very highly. On day 3 this was the pick that most excited me.

I went to wake forest with Camp and knew him. Good kid and hard worker. He was one of the best wide receivers in the ACC and that was on a Wake Forest team with Tanner Pryce throwing him the ball. He may be on the smaller side but he has the quickness and smarts to get open. This is the kind of guy Flacco needs to be that third down guy to just sit at the sticks. Him, Pitta, and Daniels and even Smith should give Flacco some very helpful outlets on third down this year. Camp was on watch to be the best receiver in the ACC until he got unlucky and had his collarbone broken. This guy i believe is higher than a 7th round talent and he is not the same as just picking a random guy in the 7th round. He actually has the potential to fill an immediate need and be a big help to Flacco and this offense even as a rookie...assuming he comes in and works and earns it

by the way. He has a posse. Be warned people. You will find his posse making accounts on this forum and if he isnt getting playing time or getting criticized they will appear on here and troll.

He is a steal though

Edited by Sami84

And are still owed a slice of pizza from him.  That ones my favourite haha.

That one made me chuckle too lol

I really liked this pick, a local guy who has some really nice quickness in the slot for us. I was afraid a team like New England or Denver would be all over him but luckily we were able to get him. I say he compares quite a bit to a Welker or Edelman in the slot.

I really liked this pick, a local guy who has some really nice quickness in the slot for us. I was afraid a team like New England or Denver would be all over him but luckily we were able to get him. I say he compares quite a bit to a Welker or Edelman in the slot.

I do think he's a lot like Edelman (not so much Welker). They have similar body types and skill sets. They're more possession guys as opposed to explosive weapons.

Compared to welker..he is far more athletic. Faster, way better vertical. Quicker release.

I see him being a massive steal for us.

He'll fight for a spot behind Marlon brown and jacoby Jones..

He'll be fun to watch in camp and preseas

I think Mellette and him make it, Thompson and Williams get cut.

I'm excited for Campanaro because I feel Steve Smith could really help him improve his game quite a bit. I'm excited to see how that impacts his play.

Love this pick, especially for the value. He's a steal in the seventh, even if we had to trade back in to get him. I was concerned about his lack of size and strength, but the potential is so high he's worth it in the seventh.

The Steve Smith pickup is going to be uber valuable now that we nabbed this kid. Big time payoff in development.

Love this pick, especially for the value. He's a steal in the seventh, even if we had to trade back in to get him. I was concerned about his lack of size and strength, but the potential is so high he's worth it in the seventh.

One thing he doesn't lack in is strength. He's very stoutly built at 5'9 190 and put up 20 reps at the combine, good for 4th among WRs.

I predict a solid preseason that IR stashes or PSquads him.

I don't see him making the team straight up looking at the numbers. We'll get a good look at him and develop him. He's a project that can make the team on the fringes with a good preseason but otherwise goes into our ps/IR development system.

I find this all solid talent development by the Ravens. 2 Years to make it happen and earn a spot or hit the market. It's how you get better value from late in the draft and RFA. All with the chance you hit a HR with a guy really excelling.

One thing he doesn't lack in is strength. He's very stoutly built at 5'9 190 and put up 20 reps at the combine, good for 4th among WRs.

That may be, but I don't see that strength on the field. For whatever reason, his weight room strength just doesn't transfer to the field in my opinion. 

That may be, but I don't see that strength on the field. For whatever reason, his weight room strength just doesn't transfer to the field in my opinion.

Agree, especially for the WR spot. Either way, it sounds like the FO is pretty high on him so hopefully he becomes more than an IR stash then cut guy.

Agree, especially for the WR spot. Either way, it sounds like the FO is pretty high on him so hopefully he becomes more than an IR stash then cut guy.

I doubt they cut him after spending next year's sixth round pick to trade up

He can seriously be the next "insert slot guy name" receiver if utilized in a wco...

Great pick and excellent value selection.

I think he will make the team and have a nice run with the ravens.

Edited by 443hurricane

by the way. He has a posse. Be warned people. You will find his posse making accounts on this forum and if he isnt getting playing time or getting criticized they will appear on here and troll.

He is a steal though

I'm just glad YOU don't have a posse! Lol

Way to read a scouting report...

I really like this kid.  Although, i will say im pretty disappointed in a sense of the selection.  Most of us were hoping for a wr in the first which most of us knew we wouldnt draft.  Cooks was still there when we were picking but instead we wait till the 7th round to grab MC.  Dont get me wrong, clearly id love for him to work out especially at that value but if he doesnt, it will be another testament on how we fail with wrs in the draft.  Just my opinion

Way to read a scouting report...

I've read scouting reports on him, but my opinions from watching his tape match those reports. He's tough and scrappy, no doubt, but I just don't see his weight room strength translated on the field.

Edited by The Raven

I think Mellette and him make it, Thompson and Williams get cut.

What has Mellette shown you in the last year to cause you to say that?

We spent a draft pick on him, looked better than even Marlon Brown (albeit against backups) in the preseason, has great size, no legal issues like Thompson or Williams, and also younger.

We spent a draft pick on him, looked better than even Marlon Brown (albeit against backups) in the preseason, has great size, no legal issues like Thompson or Williams, and also younger.

We shouldn't concern ourselves with the fact that we spent a draft pick on Mellette. A team should always allow the best players onto the roster. I understand that because we spent a pick on him, we may wish to give him another chance, but we should not do so at the expense of a better player.

There is approximately a 2 year age difference between Mellette and Williams, and a one year difference between Mellette and Thompson. Therefore that argument is not extremely relevant.

I think Mellette has the leg up, but nothing is forgone of course.  LaQuan has been here for 3 years now, got cut, and is back on a minimum deal.  He's excelled in the preseason against 3rd stringers but has never taken the next step.  Thompson can hardly stay on the field and has shown very little development up to this point.  While Mellette hasn't showed much (being that he hasn't had that much of a chance), he still has the leg up just based on the fact that the other 2 seem to have hit their peaks.

Edited by rmw10

I've read scouting reports on him, but my opinions from watching his tape match those reports. He's tough and scrappy, no doubt, but I just don't see his weight room strength translated on the field.

Right... Film room study...

Here we go again...

Insert late round WR draft pick name here ?????. The Ravens message boards light up, He will make the roster! He is the #6 WR for sure! Bound to be the next Wes Welker (in this case), or Stud #1 WR the Ravens have been looking for, or Red zone threat, etc....

Every year it is the same story. Bottom line he has a large uphill battle to make the squad. Harbs just doesn't treat late round draft picks well. LaQuan Williams everyones Darling has been nothing but excellent every preseason and yet just doesn't make it and gets cut, Only to be re-signed the next year on a minimum deal. After all the Ravens have drafted no less than 13 day three WR's (4th round or later), and of those 13 only TWO have panned out (Stokley & Lewis). 

Ravens Fans are DESPERATE for a WR from the draft that will answer our prayers, will be Flacco's go-to-guy, Be the one to justify Ozzies godhood as Draft/Free agent/GM God.

I'm sceptical. Sure I'm as hopeful as every Raven fan, but also a realist.

This was possibly the greatest WR class ever! EVER! Yet the Ravens ignored all the top prospects from round 1-3, to pick a guy that wasn't even mentioned in the same breath let a lone category as Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Marquise Lee, Cody Latimer, Odell Beckham, Matthews, Landry, heck even Martavis Bryant had more press. I find it difficult to believe that DT's & TE's are rated higher than WR's in every case.

Edited by Mad Puppy

Here we go again...

Insert late round WR draft pick name here ?????. The Ravens message boards light up, He will make the roster! He is the #6 WR for sure! Bound to be the next Wes Welker (in this case), or Stud #1 WR the Ravens have been looking for, or Red zone threat, etc....

Every year it is the same story. Bottom line he has a large uphill battle to make the squad. Harbs just doesn't treat late round draft picks well. LaQuan Williams everyones Darling has been nothing but excellent every preseason and yet just doesn't make it and gets cut, Only to be re-signed the next year on a minimum deal. After all the Ravens have drafted no less than 13 day three WR's (4th round or later), and of those 13 only TWO have panned out (Stokley & Lewis).

Ravens Fans are DESPERATE for a WR from the draft that will answer our prayers, will be Flacco's go-to-guy, Be the one to justify Ozzies godhood as Draft/Free agent/GM God.

This was possibly the greatest WR class ever! EVER! Yet the Ravens ignored all the top prospects from round 1-3, to pick a guy that wasn't even mentioned in the same breath let a lone category as Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Marquise Lee, Cody Latimer, Odell Beckham, Matthews, Landry, heck even Martavis Bryant had more press. I find it difficult to believe that DT's & TE's are rated higher than WR's in every case.

I am quite skeptical any of laquan, denote, Aaron, or Michael see the field as anything more than special teamers(real reason laquan continues to be around).

However I disagree this stud wr is necessary to find in the draft this year to win. I would like to have gotten one, but not for this year. For the next few years down the line when they would be asked to contribute. Steve smith is going to enjoy a renaissance in my estimation. Flacco could recreate what he had with mason and Ozzie could look to free agency once again in two to three years to fill that hole as there is no one on the roster likely to develop at the moment.

I am quite skeptical any of laquan, denote, Aaron, or Michael see the field as anything more than special teamers(real reason laquan continues to be around).

However I disagree this stud wr is necessary to find in the draft this year to win. I would like to have gotten one, but not for this year. For the next few years down the line when they would be asked to contribute. Steve smith is going to enjoy a renaissance in my estimation. Flacco could recreate what he had with mason and Ozzie could look to free agency once again in two to three years to fill that hole as there is no one on the roster likely to develop at the moment.

any ideas on what wrs will be available in the next two years that we could target?

any ideas on what wrs will be available in the next two years that we could target?

It's hard to predict who slides down to the 7th round. -_-

It's hard to predict who slides down to the 7th round. -_-

well played....

clearly talking free agents lol

well played....

clearly talking free agents lol

Jokes aside, there is a topic about this in the nfl draft section of this forum..

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/58551-never-too-early-2015-prospect-watch/page-3#entry1855450

Most people around here hope that we draft Stefon Diggs, a Terrapin, who would be among the best prspects, if he enters the draft. Don't know much about him. I have given up on Ozzie addressing that position seriously.

Edited by PolishRifle

Here we go again...

Odell Beckham was gone before the time we pick but CJ Mosley was a better prospect or better overall value than getting Brandin Cooks or any  other receiver not name Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins in the first round. Jordan Matthews/Marqise Lee whom was my favorite receivers in this draft was drafted way before we could pick in the second round.  I wanted The Ravens to get a wideout in the second round but they rated defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan higher than guys like Allen Robinson and Cody Latimer which is very understandable considering what type of player he is or eventually could be for us.

I was surprised to see Jarvis Landry gone before the third round  and yeah we drafted a tight end over Martavis Bryant but I never was fan of his and  he seem to be too much of a project. I think getting a blocking tight end  with upside as a receiver over  a project wideout is more important .

Campanaro was only 0.04 off from guys like Odell Beckham and Watkins in the 40 at the combine.. 5th in bench press, top 10 in both the 20 yd shuttle and 60 yd shuttle. I don't put too much into measurables but that's mighty impressive, definitely a steal in the 7th with his upside.