84 replies to this topic

#1 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

This is not a team rankings. Just my take on some of the best of / worst of the process.

Best Win - Win Trade - The Cowboys were strapped for cash. They probably needed to move Romo to field a good roster and getting Dalton and Sanu in return eases the pain there. Romo with a good defense definately has a chance to win a championship.

Dallas Gets: Andy Dalton (1 star); 2nd Round Pick (24th overall) (1 star) Mohamed Sanu (.5 Stars)
Cincinnati Gets: Tony Romo (13.5 Stars), 5th Rounder (.5 stars).

Biggest Steal in a Trade - Pouncey is young and an all pro center. Much better player thus far than his brother. Maybe Miami was more concerned here due to the off field incindents with Pouncy. His involvment seems to be pretty overblown however. The rich get richer in Seattle.

Dolphins trade: C Mike Pouncey
Seahawks trade: 4th(101), 4th(128), OG J.R. Sweezy

Most One Sided Trade - It's one thing to move on from some older players with high cap numbers but Jimmy had neither. The Ravens recieved somedecent draft picks in return, but they definately lost this trade.

Ravens give Jimmy Smith and picks 118 and 178 (Ravens save 1.5 stars. Broncos add 1.5 stars
Broncos give picks 31 and 63

Most Questionable trade - The Raiders gave up a very athletic up and coming young linebacker in Sio Moore for Woodley earlier in free agency. Presumably wanting to build a veteran defense that would be more of an immediate contender. Then we have this abrupt change mid stream to move Woodley for Britt who has been nothing but a major disapointment on and off the field and a mid round draft pick.

Cinci Receives: Lamar Woodley (8 Stars)

Oakland Receives: Kenny Britt (3 stars), 4th Rounder(.5 Stars)

Smartest Cut - Without the ability for a restructure, there was no way the Steelers could put together a viable team without this cut...

Steelers sadly cut

Troy Polamalu, S (8.5 stars)

Most Questionable Cut - The Chargers cut a very productive player, who is young and played well for them last year and is a good fit for their offense. Recieved minimal cap relief in return. Late in the proccess.

Chargers cut

Danny Woodhead--2.00 Stars

Most Shocking Cut - No way anyone saw this one coming...

The Minnesota Vikings cut:

John Carlson, 2.0 Stars saved

Draft and overall team categories to come...

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

The Vikings cut Carlson?!  Why wasn't this public knowledge?!

;)

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#3 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

Most Shocking Cut - No way anyone saw this one coming...

The Minnesota Vikings cut:

John Carlson, 2.0 Stars saved

T3h isn't going to be happy

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

I guess we can all agree Crush is the best then lol

Twitter

#4 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

3127334.jpg

I maintain that it wasn't trading Jimmy Smith that was so stupid, it was wasting the picks he got back in return on another foolish trade.  You use those picks on a Bradley Roby or some other such player, it's not an issue.

#5 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yeah even though it wasn't me, the Cowboys had to make that trade to get under the cap. Sanu is a good WR as well and could be my guy in the slot

In Ozzie We Trust

#6 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Appreciate the love on the Pouncey trade. I'd give a slight edge to Darren Sproles over Woodhead in the cut department though. Leon Hall is up there with Marques Colston.

Posted Image

#7 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

I traded Pouncey because I wanted to completely clear the locker room of that incident and distractions in general. I wanted to create a new culture and had no way to really find out what the rest of the team thinks about him, so I just made the educated decision to trade him. Also he's a bit overhyped and many think his brother is the better of the 2. Still a good trade for the Seahawks though.

#8 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

The essence of the trade is understandable. But Mike isn't anywhere near overhyped. In fact, I'd argue that he's commonly underrated, as his name is rarely thrown around. He's the better of the two, in my eyes, regardless of what the mainstream media claims at times. Maurkice doesn't anchor as well, and is pushed around easier.

Posted Image

#9 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

The essence of the trade is understandable. But Mike isn't anywhere near overhyped. In fact, I'd argue that he's commonly underrated, as his name is rarely thrown around. He's the better of the two, in my eyes, regardless of what the mainstream media claims at times. Maurkice doesn't anchor as well, and is pushed around easier.

To be fair, Roethlisberger and the system in place for much of his career really screw the OL over.

#10 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

2014 FORUM MOCK DRAFT AWARDS

THE DRAFT

ROUND 1:

BIGGEST STEAL: Marqise Lee #20 to Baltimore. Lee is not that big of a drop off talent wise from Watkins as many are proclaiming. Best value pick of the first round.

BIGGEST REACH: CJ Mosley #6 to Atlanta. Mosley sure is talented but #6 overall is way too rich for this position and what this player can offer.

ROUND 2:

BIGGEST STEAL: Morgan Moses, #53 to Green Bay. The more I watch and find out even about his high character and humble attitude, the more I like Moses as a prospect. I believe he could rival some of the first round tackles and would rather have him than Lewan. Particularly in Pass protection.

BIGGEST REACH: Kony Ealy #39 to Jacksonville. I know many will consider him a steal in the second, but I just don't see anything really special about him. I would rank him last in the group of second round pass rushers all of which were drafted after him.

ROUND 3:

BIGGEST STEAL: Zach Mettenberger #95 to Cleveland. I believe he will be the second best QB in this class after Bridgewater. A steal this late in the draft.

BIGGEST REACH: Lache Seastrunk # 80 to Chicago. I am personally not that high on him. He makes some splash plays yes, but he is very boom or bust. Not too far off of a Chris Johnson. Also not an all around back as far as receiving so I think he is a reach this early not being the all around back.

ROUND 4:

]

BIGGEST STEAL: Devin Street #128 to NY Giants I didn't want to necessarily put any of my own moves on here, but I am really happy with this one in particular. I believe Street is vastly underrated by most. He is every bit as good as many wide outs who have been drafted prior.

BIGGEST REACH: Michael Sam #117 to NY Jets. I don't see Sam as much of an explosive difference maker at the linebacker position. More of a late round special teams/reserve type of prospect in my opinion.

ROUND 5:

BIGGEST STEAL: Terrance Mitchell #150 to Jacksonville. Mitchell is a player with a ton of potential to be a very good defensive back, either at corner or possibly free safety. This is the type of prospect you like to see in round 5, in my opinion.

BIGGEST REACH: Lamin Barrow #159 to Dallas. I don't see much special about this player or much upside to be honest. Nothing special as far as extraordinary physical tools to project a high ceiling. Reach is definately a relative term when you get to round 5 but tried to put someone in this spot.

ROUND 6:

BIGGEST STEAL: Chris Watt #181 to Seattle. Could be considered a poor man's Zack Martin. Very smart technically sound player. could be a real steal here in the late rounds.

BIGGEST REACH: Really can't call anyone else a reach from here on... just trying to get the best guys before free agency.

ROUND 7:

BIGGEST STEAL: Jay Bromley, #Comp27 to Dallas. The potential for interior pass rush in the last round of the draft is unheard of. I believe Bromley will go much earlier. Nice bargain here.

UDFA:

BIGGEST STEAL: Bene Benwikre, Signed by Baltimore. I found out about this player late in the proccess and what I saw, while he needs plenty of refinement, he has some good tools to be successful. This is a player who could easily be drafted.

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#11 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

3127334.jpg

I maintain that it wasn't trading Jimmy Smith that was so stupid, it was wasting the picks he got back in return on another foolish trade.  You use those picks on a Bradley Roby or some other such player, it's not an issue.

You're right... but the whole thing was kind of a comedy of errors.

Edited by ravensdan, 06 May 2014 - 11:01 PM.

NY Giants

#12 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

So is anyone going to do team rankings?

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

Woo! Recognition for Mettenberger!

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#14 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

To be fair, Roethlisberger and the system in place for much of his career really screw the OL over.

That's fair. And he's not a bad player. I just don't consider him deserving of the three Pro Bowl nods.

Posted Image

#15 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Thank you for the shout out on Chris Watt. I like Street, but the biggest steal in Round 4 was Cody Latimer.

Edited by -Truth-, 06 May 2014 - 11:33 PM.

Posted Image

#16 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

That's fair. And he's not a bad player. I just don't consider him deserving of the three Pro Bowl nods.

No arguments with that, but he's a quality starter.  At that point, it all comes down to the money.

#17 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

TEAM AWARDS

BEST PASSING GAME: Green Bay Packers - Should improve pass protection with Moses at LT and added Cooper and Latimer to the receivers puts them over the Broncos who have downgraded at the O line.

WORST PASSING GAME: Houston Texans - QB Case Keenum and TJ Yates are the worst tandem in the process, the Cowboys Johnny football a close runner up here.

BEST RUNNING GAME: Minnesota Vikings - have the best running back in the game and only improved the depth of their O-line. Plus added Pierre Thomas.

WORST RUNNING GAME: San Diego Chargers - James Starks and Joseph Randle are two power runners who are both very limited and not much game breaking or receiving ability at all.

BEST OFFENSIVE LINE: Seattle Seahawks - Clady/Pouncey/Unger/Asamoah/Davis

WORST OFFENSIVE LINE: Arizona Cardinals - Relying on only Chris Faulk who went undrafted as a rookie and missed the entire year with a knee injury as the only LT. As well as Cooper who missed all of last year with a knee injury at LG, could be a recipe for disaster.

BEST DEFENSIVE LINE: Cincinnati Bengals - Had alot of competition for this award, but taking a really good D-line anchored by Atkins changing out Trent Cole for Michael Johnson was enough.

WORST DEFENSIVE LINE: Dallas Cowboys - Pretty much unproven on the whole. Part of a team in rebuild mode here. I question this units ability to create much pressure.

BEST LINEBACKERS: San Francisco 49ers - While there are some other groups who were good, this group is proven together, and I see no reason for them to take a step back.

WORST LINEBACKERS: Indianapolis Colts - If Mathis begins to tail off this unit lacks any real impact players at all.

BEST SECONDARY: Philadelphia Eagles - Very tough choice with the Seahawks defending champions, but the improvement at saftey with Weddle and Nelson, along with Davis and Shields to go along with Boykin, the group is just really formidable.

WORST SECONDARY: NY Jets - A second year player in Milliner along with rookies McGill and Boston is way too much inexperience at a position that has a long learning curve.

MOST IMPROVED UNIT Seattle Seahawks offensive line. Went from a slight weakness to very formidable. Adding two of the best at their position in LT Ryan Clady and C Mike Pouncey.

MOST IMPROVED TEAM: Jacksonville Jaguars. I think there's no doubt this rebuild project was done very well. The Jags have gone from the cellar to contenders for now and the future. Nice job.

NY Giants

#18 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

I'd gloat, but it's hard to not have the best running game when you start with AP.

#19 stm85

stm85

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

TEAM AWARDS

BEST PASSING GAME: Green Bay Packers - Should improve pass protection with Moses at LT and added Cooper and Latimer to the receivers puts them over the Broncos who have downgraded at the O line.

WORST PASSING GAME: Houston Texans - QB Case Keenum and TJ Yates are the worst tandem in the process, the Cowboys Johnny football a close runner up here.

BEST RUNNING GAME: Minnesota Vikings - have the best running back in the game and only improved the depth of their O-line. Plus added Pierre Thomas.

WORST RUNNING GAME: San Diego Chargers - James Starks and Joseph Randle are two power runners who are both very limited and not much game breaking or receiving ability at all.

BEST OFFENSIVE LINE: Seattle Seahawks - Clady/Pouncey/Unger/Asamoah/Davis

WORST OFFENSIVE LINE: Arizona Cardinals - Relying on only Chris Faulk who went undrafted as a rookie and missed the entire year with a knee injury as the only LT. As well as Cooper who missed all of last year with a knee injury at LG, could be a recipe for disaster.

BEST DEFENSIVE LINE: Cincinnati Bengals - Had alot of competition for this award, but taking a really good D-line anchored by Atkins changing out Trent Cole for Michael Johnson was enough.

WORST DEFENSIVE LINE: Dallas Cowboys - Pretty much unproven on the whole. Part of a team in rebuild mode here. I question this units ability to create much pressure.

BEST LINEBACKERS: San Francisco 49ers - While there are some other groups who were good, this group is proven together, and I see no reason for them to take a step back.

WORST LINEBACKERS: Indianapolis Colts - If Mathis begins to tail off this unit lacks any real impact players at all.

BEST SECONDARY: Philadelphia Eagles - Very tough choice with the Seahawks defending champions, but the improvement at saftey with Weddle and Nelson, along with Davis and Shields to go along with Boykin, the group is just really formidable.

WORST SECONDARY: NY Jets - A second year player in Milliner along with rookies McGill and Boston is way too much inexperience at a position that has a long learning curve.

MOST IMPROVED UNIT Seattle Seahawks offensive line. Went from a slight weakness to very formidable. Adding two of the best at their position in LT Ryan Clady and C Mike Pouncey.

MOST IMPROVED TEAM: Jacksonville Jaguars. I think there's no doubt this rebuild project was done very well. The Jags have gone from the cellar to contenders for now and the future. Nice job.

Thanks for the shout out on the secondary. It's astounding how bad my group was to begin with: Nate Allen, Pat Chung, Bradley Fletcher and Cary Williams. Boykin was the only worthwhile guy. My #1 goal was to improve the secondary and I'm glad you think I did so.

"It's not the critic who counts. It's the man who's in the arena whose face is covered with blood, sweat and dust. He will never be with those poor and timid souls that know neither victory nor defeat."

- John Harbaugh 

andre.jpg

Proud Owner of the Andre Cried While Watching Jumanji's

#20 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

Bias aside, I'd still give my team in nod in the secondary department. I have arguably the best Safety duo in the league, or at least tied with Kansas City's duo of Devin McCourty and Eric Berry. I also own one of the best CBs in football, and Byron Maxwell is my weakest link, who was stellar in his first year starting. The only significant loss from the SuperBowl roster is Walter Thurmond III, whose loss is pacified by the addition of Jabari Greer. Not to mention my depth at Safety. The advantage I will easily concede to Philadelphia, however, is the Nickel CB. Brandon Boykin was the best slot CB in football in 2013.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users