Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

YOUR Favorite ever Ravens Draft pick

59 posts in this topic

In light of the recent article on baltimoreravens.com where Ozzie discusses his 2 favorite draft selections (Duane Starks and Jamal Lewis), I thought it might be fun to discuss each of our individual favorite selections.

It doesn't have to be the best selection, just your personal favorite. It could be because a certain player was a favorite of yours in college and we nabbed him... Maybe you love the maneuvering that went into a certain pick, or maybe the pick simply became your favorite player.

Whatever the reason please explain and have a little fun reminiscing!

--

My personal favorite pick was Dennis Pitta. It was the first draft that I got reqlly in to and spent a lot of time evaluating prospects beyond the top-rated, big name players. I loved him as a prospect going into the draft. I felt he was a bit under rated at the time partially because of his age and limited experience playing TE. I really wanted the Ravens to draft him and was pretty disappointed when we took Dickson.

I thought after the Dickson pick that any chance of getting Pitta was gone especially with Todd Heap still on the roster. Then, we decided to double dip at the position and they took him.

Probably because he was one of the first under-the-radar prospects that I invested time in evaluating and was pretty accurate on, because of how badly I wanted him on the team, and the disappointment followed by complete surprise when we picked him after already drafting Dickson - this is my favorite pick.

And having recently learned behind the scenes info about another team offering 3 picks to the ravens to try and get Pitta just made it that much cooler to me.

--

So what's yours?

Ray Lewis, Joe Flacco and Ed Reed. Just my love for these guys. I pretty much started liking the Ravens because of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and as for Flacco He's the only other jersey that I own I hope hes a Raven for the rest of his career and helps deliver more SBs :D

Going to be a hipster and not name any of the big guys because they are given and too mainstream B)

Pitta is a good choice. I like Art Jones, too, dude came in and busted his butt from day 1. Yanda was/is like that, as well.

Gonna be a hipster too and say Arthur Brown. It's just because I, [most of us] wanted it to happen so bad and we did it. I wasn't disappointed when we grabbed Elam, I just thought because of that, we had no chance to grab Brown.

Jimmy Smith. Especially with the damn buildup. First real year I followed the draft, and I was DAMN excited when we got him

To add a new name to the list: Jared Gaither

Hoped we would pick him up in the supp. draft and I was stoked when we did. He could have been a hall of famer if he had any passion/heart/toughness.

torrey smith.

wanted a deep threath and he was a stand up guy.

been a model person ever since landing here.

same with jimmy smith.

Ngata was also a guy who i wanted them to draft.

All time is probably Jonathan Ogden. I love a good olineman. Currently I'd say Torrey Smith or Lardarius Webb.

Other than obvious choices Reed, Lewis, Lewis, Ogden etc.

Mine would be Jarret Johnson

Really good value in the 4th round.

Sergio Kindle ... But seriously, if only he didn't crack his dome, the guy could have been a savage for us. 

Sergio Kindle ... But seriously, if only he didn't crack his dome, the guy could have been a savage for us. 

Yeah,watching some of his film with Texas i believe ,he was a beast.

He without question slowed considerably after the fall.

Hard to pick favorites over the already obvious choices, but I liked guys like Chris McAlister and Todd Heeeap. 2 solid guys that I wished would have finished their careers in Baltimore just like they started 

Recently A. Brown(steal) or Elam. I didnt hate the Torrey Smith pick but I didnt expect him to come as far as he has within 2 seasons. 

I was just about to say him. I was ecstatic when I heard that announcement then days later the staircase happened. 

Torrey Smith.  I just did not believe he'd be there.  Titus Young was drafted before Torrey Smith, as was Leonard Hankerson.

Gonna be a hipster too and say Arthur Brown. It's just because I, [most of us] wanted it to happen so bad and we did it. I wasn't disappointed when we grabbed Elam, I just thought because of that, we had no chance to grab Brown.

Arthur Brown, great young man and will be a leader for years.

Marshal Yanda. The dog in my avatar is named Yanda. His brother is Grubbs. Oz also gave up 3 picks to move up in the 3rd rd(has that ever happened before that late in the draft). Oz wanted him bad and he scored.

Jimmy Smith. I wasn't really following the draft as intently as I do now, but I had always had a soft spot for defensive backs and when I kept seeing Jimmy's name pop up and the fact that he was a late round prospect, I began to really follow him. I absolutely wanted him, and any time I would see a mock draft that didn't have him going to the Ravens, that mock became crap and was instantly wrong. 

He was absolutely my favorite Raven before he became a Raven. I was just so sure he'd be a Raven (I did actually get a little nervous as the draft went on). I got his jersey during his rookie season before the Jets game (my first real one) and it's one of the best investments I've ever made.

He's by far my favorite player and I'm glad I stuck by him.

Offense : Jamal Lewis - I remember that year, I had a draft Magazine that predicted Thomas Jones as the RB to us because he was a dual-threat all purpose back being compared to M.Faulk. At the time I wanted either J.Lewis at RB or Peter Warrick at WR

Defense: Chris McAllister - I always loved the Chris McAllister pick for a few years he was truly one of the top 5 CBs in the league, looking back on that draft I still like the Mcallister pick but it could have been wild if The Freak Javon Kearse could have been paired up with Boulware on that defense.

Jimmy Smith. I wasn't really following the draft as intently as I do now, but I had always had a soft spot for defensive backs and when I kept seeing Jimmy's name pop up and the fact that he was a late round prospect, I began to really follow him. I absolutely wanted him, and any time I would see a mock draft that didn't have him going to the Ravens, that mock became crap and was instantly wrong.

He was absolutely my favorite Raven before he became a Raven. I was just so sure he'd be a Raven (I did actually get a little nervous as the draft went on). I got his jersey during his rookie season before the Jets game (my first real one) and it's one of the best investments I've ever made.

He's by far my favorite player and I'm glad I stuck by him.

I wanted jimmy smith to be drafted so bad, that I would be so mad when I saw Torrey smith mocked as the 1st round pick for us. For me Jimmy Smith was a new McAllister in making. Body type, coverage skills, speed ability.

I remember I was happy to get J.Smith first round because we didn't "reach" for Torrey. When Torrey became the second round pick my brother said to me weren't you talking about both of those guys and y'all got them both.

I think Jimmy received the college shutdown label too early, because he was barely targeted and that set early expectations too high for many fans.

Aside from the obvious, Zibby.

Loved the Zibby pick too. My room mate in college was a huge ND fan so I watched a lot of games with him and zibby really stood out. He always played like a Raven and wanted him bad.

He was imposing and electrifying. Also was a pretty good returner. Add the gold gloves boxing and professional knockouts - he was a scary dude.

Didn't quite live up to my lofty expectations but when he was on the team that position group was the best and most deep i think we've ever had. Reed and Landry as starters with nakamura and zbikowski as the backups? Awesome.