Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

no-27-pick-roddy-white-jimmy-smith_pg_60

No. 27 pick: Roddy White, Jimmy Smith

ROCK STAR: Roddy White, WR, Atlanta Falcons (2005)
White has been a stellar NFL receiver. A five-time Pro Bowler and an All-Pro, he had a streak of six consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and even led the league in receptions (115) in 2010.

Honorable mention: Jason Babin (2004), DeAngelo Williams (2006)

BURGER FLIPPER: Jimmy Smith, CB, Baltimore Ravens (2011)
It took Smith three seasons to become a starter in Baltimore but you want a first-round corner to have more than four interceptions in three years.

NFL.com/Chris Brockman

#2 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Like I said in the other thread.

bd67a47f0fbe59ef83457df07af237fc908df0ef

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#3 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

obvious ignorance of football knowledge. cb is a position with a very steep learning curve and they generally dont start flexing on the field until year 2 or 3, which is exactly what happened with jimmy. also, int's are a stat for safeties, if a full time starting cb has very little numbers to show for his season, that just means hes doing his job so well that qb's dont even look his way, which is the exact reputation he has built up after least season, this guy is just a moron.

#4 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

obvious ignorance of football knowledge. cb is a position with a very steep learning curve and they generally dont start flexing on the field until year 2 or 3, which is exactly what happened with jimmy. also, int's are a stat for safeties, if a full time starting cb has very little numbers to show for his season, that just means hes doing his job so well that qb's dont even look his way, which is the exact reputation he has built up after least season, this guy is just a moron.

Not to mention Jimmy was banged-up a lot and had to compete with Cary Williams for a starting role until last season (yeah I know we all hated Cary, but he's still a legit starter in the league).

Pretty sure that same article called Marcel Dareus a flop, so take it for what little it's worth.

And no matter how you look at it, putting Kenechi Udeze on that list because he got leukemia is a bit low.

Edited by Inqui, 04 May 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#5 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

I strongly dislike the fact of how many pro bowls a player has been to. That's a popularity contest and has nothing to do with how great of a season a player had nor the impact that player had for his team. Jimmy hada really strong seasondespite how poorly the overall team played. It was more then just shutting down megatron, but that alone spoke volumes.

I don't care how long it's taken Jimmy to be a top notch player, he is one and will be a Raven for many years playing at a high level. This season will really put Jimmy on the NFL scene with the list of Wrs he'll have to line up against this season. I can't wait to see him work.
Posted Image

#6 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

I strongly dislike the fact of how many pro bowls a player has been to. That's a popularity contest and has nothing to do with how great of a season a player had nor the impact that player had for his team. Jimmy hada really strong seasondespite how poorly the overall team played. It was more then just shutting down megatron, but that alone spoke volumes.

I don't care how long it's taken Jimmy to be a top notch player, he is one and will be a Raven for many years playing at a high level. This season will really put Jimmy on the NFL scene with the list of Wrs he'll have to line up against this season. I can't wait to see him work.

I could see Jimmy becoming yet another Raven who gets driven by media disrespect. This site should get Sarah Ellison to interview him about the article. :P

I agree about the Pro Bowls. In theory it should mean "someone who's not quite an All-Pro but is in that tier below". But when you see Matt Schaub and Andy Lolton selected, that alone speaks volumes about what the selections mean.

#7 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

I never understood the hate for Jimmy Smith. "Fans" were calling him a bust and talking bad about him before they really gave the kid a chance. I never once disliked Jimmy Smith, even thru his struggles. I always believed he would be a solid pro one day. Cornerback is arguably the hardest position to play in the NFL, and its very hard to come straight from college and be a great corner. Maturity, learning, and hard work will make Jimmy a very solid cornerback for years to come. Ravens players will never win a popularity contest, and thats alright by me. Rings don't lie. 

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

Not a burger flipper, but if the ball in that picture has the momentum it looks like it has, he might not have a job with any lateral movement for a long time.

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

Not a burger flipper, but if the ball in that picture has the momentum it looks like it has, he might not have a job with any lateral movement for a long time.

You haven't heard that defensive backs are receivers with no hands? If that's what you're saying.

But in all seriousness, what are you talking about?

Edited by BmoreBird22, 04 May 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#10 NFLfan123

NFLfan123

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

You haven't heard that defensive backs are receivers with no hands? If that's what you're saying.

But in all seriousness, what are you talking about?

He's saying it looks like the football is set to hit him right in the nuts.

2014 Oakland Raiders GM

2014 Buffalo Pirates GM

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

He's saying it looks like the football is set to hit him right in the nuts.

Now that you say that, it seems so obvious. I shouldn't be trying to interpret jokes at 12 am.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 04 May 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#12 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

It wasnt just the Ravens that the dude screwed up with. He also listed two players as burger flippers who's careers ended very early; one to cancer and one with a broken neck. Thats so messed up. 

#13 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

It wasnt just the Ravens that the dude screwed up with. He also listed two players as burger flippers who's careers ended very early; one to cancer and one with a broken neck. Thats so messed up. 

Yeah, dude's a straight up fool. Pretty soon we'll have to say the disclaimer we usually do for Bleacher Report about nfl.com

Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#14 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Really good idea, poorly executed.  Some very questionable names on the list.  Josh Freeman a rockstar? Really?  On the bright side Flacco and Ngata were both considered good picks.

1399378743_zps94cf5864.jpg

#15 rafahash

rafahash

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

NFL.com is a joke

#16 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,408 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Roddy White and his teammates can kiss the ring.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#17 Challenge Accepted

Challenge Accepted

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Its NFL.com, take their opinions with a grain a salt.

Edited by Challenge Accepted, 05 May 2014 - 02:54 PM.

brand.gif2013 BR.COM Saints GM

#18 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

A) I hope Jimmy sees this and uses it for fuel 

B ) Can't wait for Jimmy to build on what he did last season and emerge as a top CB

C) Can't judge a corner simply on INTs 

Edited by TDubbs, 05 May 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#19 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

That's really screwed up. Jimmy Smith played very well in the latter portion of his rookie year, and had a disappointing sophomore season (a lot of people here, including me, had virtually given up on him) but he had a very strong season last year. I expect him to build on that this season. People should not yet be calling him a bust.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#20 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Must have been some big hits at the 27 position and a lot of misses at the 17 position. Kinda crazy huh. We're at the 17 position this year. Lol

Edited by Willbacker, 05 May 2014 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users