Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
varaven

Ozzie Retirement Speculation?

70 posts in this topic

I honestly thought the same as I was watching it live.  It wasn't typical Ozzie fashion.  Usually he's a get up and go type of guy, but he took the time to commend the staff that he's worked with and made it clear that it's been a very long time that he's been doing this.

No one will ever compare to Ozzie if this does turn out to be more than speculation, but we're in good hands with DeCosta when that day comes.

I got a faint impression they were preparing for Eric Decosta to take the reins during today's conference, but I wouldn't be confident enough in that impression to put (much...) money on it or anything. How long has Ozzie's rein been compared to others out there?

Probably a degree of pre-draft boredom at play here too. 

Also, we'd need to update this meme if it did happen.

ozzie-got-this.jpg

Seemed like he was complimenting the new coaches and his overall staff. Ozzie can't do this forever, though, people have speculated his retirement 5+ years back.

This thread is freaking' depressing. Ozzie is the man, and will never ever retire.

This thread is Freakin' depressing. Ozzie is the man, and will never ever retire.

Didnt we say that about Ray?

:(

Didnt we say that about Ray?

:(

Well, I was okay with Ray retiring.

I dunno if I can handle losing the Oz tho

Sounds like he's retiring soon. Can't say when, though. Could be after the draft, during camp, after cuts, after the season, who knows?

Eric's basically been a day one guy for the Ravens, he's clearly being groomed for the role (and has for a few years now I'd say), and he has the advantage of having learned from Ozzie's mistakes. I think we'll be fine.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't feel dead inside for a long time, mind. :mellow:

I think he may retire after this year. He got another Superbowl and I think he's content with the staff that is in line to replace him. Decosta is more than capable of the job because he is just as dedicated as Ozzie. He's been learning behind the guy for years and Ozzie realizes it's time for Decosta to get his time to shine. The Ravens have a new identity to it too and I think Ozzie wants to go out with being known for the old identity.

Edited by RavensNation14

Eric's basically been a day one guy for the Ravens, he's clearly being groomed for the role (and has for a few years now I'd say), and he has the advantage of having learned from Ozzie's mistakes. I think we'll be fine.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't feel dead inside for a long time, mind. :mellow:

Oh, I'm sure DeCosta has learned a lot about the job, and professionalism, from Oz, but Ozzie is in a class all his own

Oh, I'm sure DeCosta has learned a lot about the job, and professionalism, from Oz, but Ozzie is in a class all his own

Not only an accomplished GM, but one of the greatest football players ever. DeCosta should make a fine GM given him mentor, but he will never be the same as Ozzie was. 

With Decosta I doubt we will miss a beat.

We definitely won't miss a beat. There's a reason Steve pays Eric like most GMs. He's been keeping him around and satisfied if/when the day comes that Ozzie decides to step down. 

This is one personnel change I'm not sweating. 

Edited by BMORElegacy

Everyday I'm grateful we have Decosta on this team.  I know over these years he's been soaking up all of Ozzie's wisdom like a sponge. 

He's a really big part of the team's character.

Dude just has that epic quality that affects the world around him.

He's a really big part of the team's character.

Dude just has that epic quality that affects the world around him.

Absolutely right about that.

I wasn't and I'm still not!  But, all good things must come to an end at some point.  I can see DeCosta taking the helm of this ship and leading it on to further greatness!

#Mili

I think Ozzie was trying to remind everyone during his speech that the draft is a team effort and the Ravens have an excellent staff. He knows he is the one who always gets the credit.

You are right though. We are in good hands with DeCosta.

We definitely won't miss a beat. There's a reason Steve pays Eric like most GMs. He's been keeping him around and satisfied if/when the day comes that Ozzie decides to step down. 

This is one personnel change I'm not sweating. 

Plus it not like a player or coach retiring. I'm sure Ozzie would still "consult" in some capacity part time provided he retires and doesn't move on to something else entirely.

I like Ozzie's laid back, laughing personality. I know Decosta is going to be great and all, but his personality just seems a little abrasive to me.

It's probably just me. 

I think Ozzie was trying to remind everyone during his speech that the draft is a team effort and the Ravens have an excellent staff. He knows he is the one who always gets the credit.

You are right though. We are in good hands with DeCosta.

I really think DeCosta still being here is probably the largest feather in Bioscotti's hat.  Can't think of an executive pass on so many opportunities.

The day will come but I echo the sentiments of everyone else. Having Eric DeCosta  is a comfort to me. There is areason he never left, he was promised this job when Ozzie does retire. He was a "wanted" man for several years but the man is a Raven through and through, not to mention he's learned from the best!

The end of a presser did seem a little bit out of character. I'm sure though Ozzie won't leave before he thinks he's built another contender. He's certainly not a man who leaves job unfinished.

Based on the fact that DeCosta has been turning down GM jobs to stay here has always been an indication to me that Ozzie has internally provided some general time frame on when he expects to step down. I doubt Eric would be turning down jobs with no idea how long he has to go on being the "heir apparent". 

It will be a sad day when he calls it quits. You hope that Eric has been well trained and will be ready to take that role, but GMs like Ozzie don't grow on trees. Few front office men have impacted their franchise as much as he has. 

The sky will fall when that day comes without DeCosta as a backup.....

Are you referring to a time when DeCosta will no longer be with the Ravens? DeCosta has received numerous GM offers over the years which he has declined, citing his desire to remain in Baltimore. As you have implied, he most likely is our #1 choice when Ozzie leaves, and I think he'll be here when he does. Even if he was to go I would have confidence that the Ravens would find a worthy Football Executive/Asst. GM to replace him.

Eric is our defacto GM, he just doesn't have that tag yet. He's handling a lot of the stuff already so I doubt anything's going to change once Ozzie retires. If something changes it'll probably be for the better. Ozzie doesn't seem to have that fire anymore and I don't blame him, he's been doing this for too long. We have a young up and coming guy waiting to take this team over, Eric is highly motivated. Either way, Ozzie is not gonna disappear. Even if he retires he'll still be involved with us somehow, we can still talk to him and get his advice. Similar to what happened with Art / Steve. Even though Steve owned most of this franchise Art was still heavily involved, he was always around when anybody needed any advice. That's why I love this franchise, everybody gets treated with respect, it's being run like a family business.

It's probably just me. 

I know Decosta is going to be great and all, but his personality just seems a little abrasive to me.

I dont care if he acts like a drunk monkey with his shoes ties together, as long as he runs the team like Ozzie taught him....

Are you referring to a time when DeCosta will no longer be with the Ravens? DeCosta has received numerous GM offers over the years which he has declined, citing his desire to remain in Baltimore. As you have implied, he most likely is our #1 choice when Ozzie leaves, and I think he'll be here when he does. Even if he was to go I would have confidence that the Ravens would find a worthy Football Executive/Asst. GM to replace him.

I was expressing Ravens' life without Ozzie and DeCosta....

I have thin belief Ravens will find anyone who still available equal or better than DeCosta.

I have thin belief Ravens will find anyone who still available equal or better than DeCosta.

DeCosta is going to be our GM.  I'd be willing to bet big money on that.  And it'll be quite a while before we have to find a replacement for him.

How old is DeCosta?

43, but I think mileage is an important factor too (and he won't have any as a GM yet).

43, but I think mileage is an important factor too (and he won't have any as a GM yet).

Plenty young enough to be around for a wile.

Russell St Report seems to think that Ozzie may be retiring soon, citing his speech at the end of the draft press conference. This does seem like a stretch but I went back and watched the speech and it did seem a bit cathartic. I don't know it has been 19 years. Thoughts?

here's the link: http://russellstreetreport.com/might-ozzie-be-stepping-down/#.U2F3VW5RTBM.twitter

Not soon enough. He single handily took a Championship team and devolved it into a mediocre, run of the mill club.  His drafts have been lacking of late.

Would love to confirm the retirement before this year's draft decisions.

I honestly thought the same as I was watching it live.  It wasn't typical Ozzie fashion.  Usually he's a get up and go type of guy, but he took the time to commend the staff that he's worked with and made it clear that it's been a very long time that he's been doing this.

No one will ever compare to Ozzie if this does turn out to be more than speculation, but we're in good hands with DeCosta when that day comes.

I got a faint impression they were preparing for Eric Decosta to take the reins during today's conference, but I wouldn't be confident enough in that impression to put (much...) money on it or anything. How long has Ozzie's rein been compared to others out there?

Probably a degree of pre-draft boredom at play here too. 

Not soon enough. He single handily took a Championship team and devolved it into a mediocre, run of the mill club.  His drafts have been lacking of late.

Would love to confirm the retirement before this year's draft decisions.

So, who built the championship team in the first place? 

Edited by BmoreBird22

Plenty young enough to be around for a wile.

Hopefully around long enough to develop a heir apparent to take his place. :)

Just let him be ...

Edited by K-Dog

One could make the argument that it was Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones that built that championship team.

That team underachieved, but its gone now.

Before the Ravens can achieve the next phase they will have to jettison the links to the past.  The Raven's better get at it soon because Joe Flacco will be 30 next year.

One could make the argument that it was Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones that built that championship team.

Before the Ravens can achieve the next phase they will have to jettison the links to the past.  The Raven's better get at it soon because Joe Flacco will be 30 next year.

I didn't realize Ozzie drafted Ed (and Joe, Rice, T. Smith, J. Smith, Yanda, Oher, Osemele, Ngata, Kruger, Upshaw, Suggs,

Arthur Jones, all guys who played massive roles in the Super Bowl run. Also didn't realize he found undrafted guys like Ellerbe or Bynes).

I also didn't realize 30 was that bad because Peyton Manning just made the Super Bowl at like 36, 37 and Brady and Brees (two of the "elites") are like 36, 37.

I'll just let you be because you're always just trying to troll

I didn't realize Ozzie drafted Ed (and Joe, Rice, T. Smith, J. Smith, Yanda, Oher, Osemele, Ngata, Kruger, Upshaw, Suggs,

Arthur Jones, all guys who played massive roles in the Super Bowl run. Also didn't realize he found undrafted guys like Ellerbe or Bynes).

I also didn't realize 30 was that bad because Peyton Manning just made the Super Bowl at like 36, 37 and Brady and Brees (two of the "elites") are like 36, 37.

I'll just let you be because you're always just trying to troll

Yeah dude, don't bother.

Before the Ravens can achieve the next phase they will have to jettison the links to the past. The Raven's better get at it soon because Joe Flacco will be 30 next year.

Nothing in here makes any sense.....

Noted. Lol

Pretending Ozzie is a complete nonfactor in this team's success is a role I've honestly never seen before.

Before the Ravens can achieve the next phase they will have to jettison the links to the past. The Raven's better get at it soon because Joe Flacco will be 30 next year.

4321S.gif

Eric had countless opportunities in the past to GM other teams. In fact he's always the first guy to be mentioned by organizations that have to get their ... together. To bring in a guy like that. He's "their" Ozzie Newsome. Yet every year it's the same thing. He declines every interview. He would have been a goner 5+ years ago if he wasn't committed to this franchise 110%. There is absolutely no way he's not taking over for Ozzie soon. My guess is after this season Ozzie steps down as GM and becomes more of an adviser while Eric takes full charge of this organization.

I'll be left with one teary eye and one eye laughing. It's gonna be sad and exciting at the same time, once Ozzie retires. You can see the fire and excitement shining through Eric's eyes. He looks like he can't wait to finally get going.

I don't doubt that he will retire by the time Flacco is done with his career.  The one constant this team has had player wise is Ray Lewis.  He had been on the team since the beginning.  Ozzie helped create this team from scratch and last year was the first time since our inception that we have had a completely different Roster.

The entire team has changed and now that Ray and Ed are gone, the regulars are players such as Suggs who were drafted more recently.  By the time Flacco is gone this will be a new team altogether.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie leaves before that.  It's like BB and Tom Brady.  Once Brady retires BB will probably go with him.

It's a whole new team and Ozzie has been doing this for awhile.  Eventually the monotony of constantly replacing players and filling holes takes it's toll. I think about this as a fan sometimes as well.  The team I rooted for in 2000 was not the team I rooted for in 2012 besides Ray Lewis.  Ray Lewis is so big that it still felt like the same team.  Our big names will eventually leave or retire and need to be replaced by more big names.

Webb comes to mind, Jimmy, and Torrey.  A few years ago these guy were just college guys and Webb seemed like an average player.  The turnover is huge.

I felt the same way. He seemed pretty nostalgic but I hope he's just really happy with the team and his staff.

Please don't retire Ozzie. Even my Steelers friends agree (although quietly and quickly) that he is the best in the business.