Photo

Brady Quinn: Imagine the Franchise if they had Drafted Him.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

I dread the thought, but in a recent interview on The NFL Network, Quinn said the Ravens were prepared to trade up to the 23rd spot (from the 29th) to draft him after slipping well past his anticipated spot in the 2007 draft.  He was on the phone with the Ravens for a long while and he recounted that they had worked out a deal with KC to move into the 23rd overall.  

Literally at the last minute he got a call from Cleveland (who traded up to #22 to usurp Baltimore.  That one minute made all the difference in the history of the Ravens.  Had Quinn landed here it would've set events into motion and prevented others and we would've have seen an entirely different Baltimore team.  One very likely without Joe Flacco.  Also, Billick may've been retained to offer continuity to the young QB preventing the Harbaugh hire and subsequent 5 year play-off streak and the the Super Bowl title may not have happened.  There may've then been a slew of head coaches and quarterbacks in and out of the team.

Consider ourselves lucky to have had such a great wingman in the Browns to take that bullet for us.  The Ravens are a great organization, but I don't believe Quinn would've been much better than Boller considering his fragility and his lack of passion.  Quinn has had several chance to catch on elsewhere after maturing in the league several years but never caught on.  Ozzie's rep as a GM would've taken a big hit and instead of saying "In Ozzie We Trust" it could've been "In Ozzie We Rust".

Thank God for Cleveland.

“Attack this day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”  

~ Harbaugh family creed

#2 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

(Shutter) we really dodged a bullet there!!!! Wasn't that when Phil Savage was Cleveland's GM?

#3 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

Cleveland killed the kid.
Posted Image

#4 DraiNBamagE

DraiNBamagE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

True. Who knows what he does on a different timeline. Or anyone else for that matter.

#5 rocketcrab

rocketcrab

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

Well, you know, the Ravens have made it clear that they want to bring in a QB to compete with Tyrod Taylor for the #2 QB slot. Brady Quinn is a free agent...........just sayin'

#6 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,490 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

No Super Bowl that is for sure.

Another note from this draft: after this the Ravens wanted Joe Staley, OT, Central Michagan, but the 49ers traded up to the pick in front of Baltimore and took him, leaving the Ravens with Ben Grubbs.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#7 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Who does draft Flacco in this scenario? I wonder what would have become of him. Perhaps a team that didn't need him to start immediately like Philly.

#8 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Who does draft Flacco in this scenario? I wonder what would have become of him. Perhaps a team that didn't need him to start immediately like Philly.

He might have ended up a career backup behind an entrenched QB, everyone thought he was a reach when we picked him.

#9 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well, you know, the Ravens have made it clear that they want to bring in a QB to compete with Tyrod Taylor for the #2 QB slot. Brady Quinn is a free agent...........just sayin'

I know Quinn is on their list.  Unless someone offers him more than us, we could see him in Black & Purple for training camp and he'd prolly com at the vet minimum.

~ Harbaugh family creed

#10 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

He might have ended up a career backup behind an entrenched QB, everyone thought he was a reach when we picked him.

Considering the next QB taken was Brian Brohm by GB, you may be right. However, Chad Henne got taken just after that, so you never know. Henne is still in the league and competing for a starting job. Brohm, I believe, works at the dry cleaners around the corner from me.

#11 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Wouldn't it be ironic if:

CLEVELAND-BROWN-JOE-FLACCO-CELEBRATES-SU

(* note the orange and brown stripes on the sleeve.)

In Bizarro World the Ravens have Quinn and the Browns have Flacco and the rest is Bizarro history.

Edited by Tenacious Faulker, 29 April 2014 - 03:47 PM.

~ Harbaugh family creed

#12 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

Pretty much.  I remember the games against him and the browns.  They gave him absolutely no shot.   Neither did any of his teammates.

#13 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Considering the next QB taken was Brian Brohm by GB, you may be right. However, Chad Henne got taken just after that, so you never know. Henne is still in the league and competing for a starting job. Brohm, I believe, works at the dry cleaners around the corner from me.

Flacco landed in an ideal scenario with no competition at QB and a strong ground game and defensive unit, Brady Quinn went to Cleveland. I think success or failure largely depends on the situation, even moreso than the talent.

#14 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

My two best bets would have been Miami and, shocking to say it now, but Green Bay.  Remember both of them drafted QBs in the second round that year, Henne and Brohm. Miami also had the second pick in the first round and took a DE there - it wouldn't have surprised me to see him taken with Miami's first second round pick that year.  By the draft, Joe was clearly seen as the second best prospect behind Matt Ryan by most scouts and analysts.  

#15 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Flacco landed in an ideal scenario with no competition at QB and a strong ground game and defensive unit, Brady Quinn went to Cleveland. I think success or failure largely depends on the situation, even moreso than the talent.

I think Cam Cameron was a great part of helping Flacco find his feet too.

On Quinn, he might have done alright in purple. Billick might have had an interesting offence in mind, and they'd likely have sat him behind behind McNair and Boller in 2007 anyway - as Harbs meant to do with Flacco. JO retires so Ozzie possibly looks at Brandon Albert or Ryan Clady. Round two we look for an RB.

So assuming he sticks around, we might actually have a 4th and a 5th this year. :P

#16 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

I think Brady Quinn may have done well. He's a decent WCO guy, and that's the system Billick ran. Boller failed because he had no touch or accuracy. If I remember correctly, those were two areas Quinn was at the every least adequate in. The franchise would be very different, but I don't think it would have been tragically worse. 

Edited by The Raven, 29 April 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#17 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

It's actually just occurred to me:

If Quinn gets benched in 2007, we get an LT in the 08 draft and Quinn looks semi-decent as a starter in 2008, we don't need to worry about LT or QB in 2009. No Michael Oher, so Clay Matthews isn't out of the question.

With Clay Matthews, we already have a pass rusher so don't trade back for Sergio Kindle in 2010, and probably don't take Upshaw either (Alshon Jeffrey?).

I know I'm assuming we finish in the same spots and all, but still.

Mind = blown.

(ED: Yes I know I just went full "N if L". I regret nothing)

Edited by Inqui, 29 April 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#18 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

I think Brady Quinn may have done well. He's a decent WCO guy, and that's the system Billick ran. Boller failed because he had no touch or accuracy. If I remember correctly, those were two areas Quinn was at the every least adequate in. The franchise would be very different, but I don't think it would have been tragically worse.

I agree, but I think a few Flacco lovers are gonna say "no waaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!".
Posted Image

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

I agree, but I think a few Flacco lovers are gonna say "no waaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!".

I honestly think we would have been able to do as well as we did with Joe. Quinn has everything Boller didn't, and he would have had a similar supporting cast. I think Quinn would have found legitimate success with us.

#20 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Only Doctor Emmett Brown could tell us how it could have turned out differently...

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users