8 replies to this topic

#1 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I know this is a bit of a non-story, but since it's the offseason this is basically Watergate compared to WalterFootball's 600th mock draft since February.

Anyway, BusinessWeek have ranked the 122 NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA. franchises by how much they spend compared to wins in the past five years.

The Ravens came in 7th overall (Steelers are 37th: suck it :D ), good for 2nd in the NFL. The Orioles came in 70th.

An obvious problem with the ranking system emerges when you see the Patriots are the best NFL side, given it says more about their schedule than their spending habits. Five years is also a bit arbitrary (we'd totally look better if it went back to six).

Salary caps are a bit weird. I know baseball has a softer cap (which doesn't help the Yankees. Hate those guys), but it makes wins a lot more important for the NFL in particular - as the spending figures are pretty similar. But the bottom five NFL franchises are the Jags, Lions, Redskins, Browns and Rams, so that should say something.

Either way though, it's a bit of a fun look at the major sports franchises. And it's interactive, so you can head over and adjust the weightings of playoff games and championships to make them more or less important. Push the value of playoff wins to 30% and we're suddenly the second-smartest overall.

Edited by Inqui, 25 April 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#2 KDUBB44

KDUBB44

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

link?

#3 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

link?

Was in the word "ranked", second paragraph.

http://www.businessw...-in-sports-2014

#4 ludy51

ludy51

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Well this is impressive. I think that we should be ranked higher or sorted out by sports. This should be a sign that can tell other fans to respect our FO.

#5 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

I know this is a bit of a non-story, but since it's the offseason this is basically Watergate compared to WalterFootball's 600th mock draft since February.

Anyway, BusinessWeek have ranked the 122 NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA. franchises by how much they spend compared to wins in the past five years.

The Ravens came in 7th overall (Steelers are 37th: suck it :D ), good for 2nd in the NFL. The Orioles came in 70th.

An obvious problem with the ranking system emerges when you see the Patriots are the best NFL side, given it says more about their schedule than their spending habits. Five years is also a bit arbitrary (we'd totally look better if it went back to six).

Salary caps are a bit weird. I know baseball has a softer cap (which doesn't help the Yankees. Hate those guys), but it makes wins a lot more important for the NFL in particular - as the spending figures are pretty similar. But the bottom five NFL franchises are the Jags, Lions, Redskins, Browns and Rams, so that should say something.

Either way though, it's a bit of a fun look at the major sports franchises. And it's interactive, so you can head over and adjust the weightings of playoff games and championships to make them more or less important. Push the value of playoff wins to 30% and we're suddenly the second-smartest overall.

Makes sense that the Patriots are #1. They win a ton of games and rarely bring in outside FA. They don't spend much at all. Also, Baseball doesn't have a salary cap. 

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#6 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Makes sense that the Patriots are #1. They win a ton of games and rarely bring in outside FA. They don't spend much at all. Also, Baseball doesn't have a salary cap. 

I thought baseball had a soft cap?  Spot the non-fan then. :P

If I'm not mistaken, they counted all money spent (including their own guys - else the Bengals and Steelers would be higher up). Still impressive, mind. Shows Ozzie's just as good with the cap as he is with the draft board.

#7 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hensley ran a blog post on espn after the major free agency about how we were paying our free agent signees less in comparison to other teams, this just helps confirm that.

#8 lgcs27288

lgcs27288

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

I thought baseball had a soft cap?  Spot the non-fan then. :P

If I'm not mistaken, they counted all money spent (including their own guys - else the Bengals and Steelers would be higher up). Still impressive, mind. Shows Ozzie's just as good with the cap as he is with the draft board.

MLB does have a soft cap. Then if a team goes over it, they have to pay luxury taxes. Those taxes then go to the other teams in the MLB.

"Think like a man of action and act like a man of thought" - Henri Louis Bergson

What would 52 do?

#9 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Were not the 1st? Shame!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users